The Watchtower - A thread for all comics

4 hours ago, DC said:

Yeah I’ve had nothing on that front either. It also seems to be out of stock now?

Think that's because they havent had the stock in at all.  Not seen any copies on eBay either from the usual sellers like wordery and books etc. So think it's just a shipping delay. 

2 hours ago, DC said:

I got an email from them today saying they’re still trying to obtain it.

As it only came out last week for the direct market, Amazon and other non-comic retailers won’t have it available for two weeks.

Also DC no longer use Diamond to disbute their books anymore which has made obtaining their stuff really hard lately.

• 2 weeks later...

Each issue of X of Swords manages to be even worse than the one preceding it. No mean feat when it started so badly!  It doesn’t even feel like I’m reading X-Men comics at times as the characters are so detached from how they normally are portrayed. With the exception of some Viktor Bogdanovic art on a few early issues this has to be the worst Marvel crossover in years - Civil War2, Secret Empire & even bloody Empyre were better than this. 

It's been hit and miss with me.

Some of the opening shots I thought were well done and this whole island split in two lore building I thought was well done.

Those early Wolverine chapters were pretty good and some of the best written Wolverine in a long time.

But fuck me this week's stuff was asbismal wasent it?

A sword fighting Tournement that's been pretty much anything but or something really stupid instead.

Was expecting more from Jim Jaspers too unless this is going to be some warped universe and not our 616. 

I thought it reached a low point when they charged full price for last weeks X-Men which is mostly a reprint with very little changed, but this weeks issues are a new low. 

Hopefully something with Jaspers comes out of it as there’s nothing else remotely entertaining about Otherworld. I think Solem has been the only interesting one of the new guys & a mini series of him & Wolverine would have been much better than all this nonsense. 

I’m guessing it’s setting up the new X villains for the next few years as most of the established ones are just chilling on Krakoa. 

5 minutes ago, Flub said:

Haha. Gorgon a hit with the ladies there.

It's just the ridiculousness of it all.

"Kill the Kitten" was a highlight from the last couple of issues other than some solid gold Mr Sinister moments this week. 

When it's all done i shall go back and re-read the lot and then chuckle (and cry) at all the money i have wasted buying this crossover. FML

Just now, Flub said:

I love that sort of humour from Marvel and the type of comics that tend to lean into it more seem to go down better with me (Like the new X-Factor)

Oh you'll fucking love X Of Swords then it has had some of that stuff most issues but it's just how they try and cram it in. 

Are you reading Hellions? 

That's has had some of those moments, i'm not sure if the first issue is still free on comixology. 

I started another one of my "nice" mangas the other day. Rainbow and Black

https://smile.amazon.co.uk/Rainbow-Black-Vol-Eri-Takenashi-ebook/dp/B08HQPFQHX

Shirahoshi Kuroe is a college student who's tired of living in black and white -- then an adorably strange creature brings all the colors of the rainbow into her life. Kuroe must learn what exactly this strange creature is as it upends her monochrome existence. 

I score it 10 Mau Maus out of 10.

19 hours ago, Flub said:

I started another one of my "nice" mangas the other day. Rainbow and Black

https://smile.amazon.co.uk/Rainbow-Black-Vol-Eri-Takenashi-ebook/dp/B08HQPFQHX

Shirahoshi Kuroe is a college student who's tired of living in black and white -- then an adorably strange creature brings all the colors of the rainbow into her life. Kuroe must learn what exactly this strange creature is as it upends her monochrome existence. 

I score it 10 Mau Maus out of 10.

Since it's been licensed, I couldn't find any scanlations so I've been reduced to trying to read raw scans in Japanese and after reading the few pages I'm bemused by the restaurant scene; I've been living here too long to be able to process what would happen if a waitress in Europe or the US were to punch a customer who groped them. Presumably the waitress could be sued for assault and battery, but then the customer could be sued for assaulting the waitress in the first place. Also, would the restaurant be able to fire the waitress without being sued for wrongful dismissal? Too many questions from like two pages of the manga. Ahem.

Anyone been reading We Only Find Them When They're Dead by Al Ewing and Simone De Meo?

Starts with the idea that dead space titans keep being found on the borders of known space and it's become mundane enough that salvage crews are routinely sent out to carve them up for resources. I've tried to get in to a few of these kinds of modern SF comics that all seem to follow in the wake of Saga. They never quite hit the mark, but this one starts off at a fair pace and the art is really well done, if very photoshoppy. It's got a grand sense of scale too, and after Immortal Hulk #25 I'm up for any and all cosmic level shit that Ewing feels the need the write.

wow, Bendis randomly ended Powers with a OGN a couple of months ago and I totally missed it. To the amazon prime-mobile!

edit: so I decided to re-read the previous arc and just downloaded the collection rather than digging out the floppies. Weirdly the blurb on the back is wrong, referencing stuff that didn't actually happen in the book. Looks like there are 2 doing the rounds:

The right one

The Eisner Award-winning Powers tells the story of homicide detectives Christian Walker and Deena Pilgrim, who are assigned cases specifically involving powers. If a superhero falls dead from the sky or a super villain is found dead in the gutter, it's up to Walker and Pilgrim to solve the case. But having barely survived the most harrowing case of their careers and discovering government corruption of the highest level, Walker and Pilgrim are now faced with the most difficult decision they've ever had to make. Collecting: Powers (2014) 1-6

The wrong one

W) Brian Michael Bendis (A/CA) Michael Avon Oeming Just in time for the long-awaited PlayStation Network POWERS TV show, comes this perfect jumping-on point for fans new and old! The Eisner Award-winning cops-and-capes mashup that turns the police procedural on its head, POWERS tells the story of homicide detectives Christian Walker and Deena Pilgrim, who handle cases involving superpowers. But having barely survived the most harrowing case of their careers and discovering government corruption at the highest level, Walker and Pilgrim are now faced with the most difficult decision they've ever had to make. As an unsolvable case threatens the department's future and Deena uncovers her father's past sins, Walker finds himself the personal target of the new Powers serial killer. And when the truth behind the massive influx of new Powers is revealed, a terrible family secret might be behind it all! Collecting POWERS (2014) #1-6. Mature

The second would certainly make it more personal for Pilgrim and the ending would probably make a bit more sense 

Spoiler

as she executes a vaguely sympathetic murderer who's in a hospital bed which seemed awfully harsh.

7 hours ago, matt0 said:

Anyone been reading We Only Find Them When They're Dead by Al Ewing and Simone De Meo?

Starts with the idea that dead space titans keep being found on the borders of known space and it's become mundane enough that salvage crews are routinely sent out to carve them up for resources. I've tried to get in to a few of these kinds of modern SF comics that all seem to follow in the wake of Saga. They never quite hit the mark, but this one starts off at a fair pace and the art is really well done, if very photoshoppy. It's got a grand sense of scale too, and after Immortal Hulk #25 I'm up for any and all cosmic level shit that Ewing feels the need the write.

Just read all three issues. That's good. I'm going to add it to my pull list.

And so X Of Swords is finally over!

Have to say it was the usual Marvel shit show in places but those last couple of issues were good fun. 

I love how the X-Men's "Mutant Council Of Cunts" handled that end part so well. 

Of and when you guys that are reading it have caught up and finished it we can all have a chuckle about how the original art had "X Of S.W.O.R.D.S" as the title for the spoilers makes perfect sense now. 

It also get minus points for having Gwenpool in the massive mutant scene and not everyone's favourite Summer's brother Adam-X.

Shame on you marvel shame on you!!!!

1 hour ago, Arn Ironjaw said:

And so X Of Swords is finally over!

Have to say it was the usual Marvel shit show in places but those last couple of issues were good fun. 

I love how the X-Men's "Mutant Council Of Cunts" handled that end part so well. 

Of and when you guys that are reading it have caught up and finished it we can all have a chuckle about how the original art had "X Of S.W.O.R.D.S" as the title for the spoilers makes perfect sense now. 

It also get minus points for having Gwenpool in the massive mutant scene and not everyone's favourite Summer's brother Adam-X.

Shame on you marvel shame on you!!!!

He's clearly not Xtreme enough for Marvel now with his blood igniting powers :unsure: 

I've just placed what's likely to be my last big omnibus order for a good long time. On the way is:

• Criminal Deluxe Edition 3
  • Incredible Hulk by Peter David Omnibus 2
  • Preacher Omnibus 1
  • Parker: Martini Edition

The third Hulk omnibus and the second Parker Martini collection are both due out soon, so I might just squeeze those in later and pretend that they were just delayed to avoid a verbal flaying from my wife.

I just got another Kallax so I’m good to continue buying for a bit. Though both are 2/3 full. 

Still waiting on my Amazon Absolute Swamp thing 2.

Paper girls book 3 arrived this week, and my bargain Dan Slott She hulk from Amazon.de. 

Are Criminal books 1 and 2 in print still? 

Amazon.com has book 2 at cover price ($40 or thereabouts) but book 1 is going for $125 so that's going to be the one that's hard to find. I'm annoyed that I didn't get the Sleeper omnibus and also that DC never reprinted it because DC only seem to reprint random things like the The New Teens Titans books (and then changing the covers to worse ones because DC hates you).

Speaking of Absolute Swamp Thing, I missed out on the first one and that bugs me but at the same time I never quite saw the appeal of gigantic hardbacks and if I start now it'll never end so I think I'm going to pass. For now anyway.

This looked like a reasonable price for both books if you want them. 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Criminal-Deluxe-Edition-Hardback-Graphic-Novels-Books-1-2-/124418148224?_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49292

Meanwhile I'm almost certainly going to get the Excalibur omnibus when it's out but I have no idea why they left off issue 50 which was the end of the Necrom story. Baffling but maybe the book was already big enough that they couldn't just also a double sized issue on the end without the entire thing falling apart.

Meanwhile I'm reading WicDiv and I'm enjoying it a lot despite having no idea where it's going.

4 hours ago, Talvalin said:

The third Hulk omnibus and the second Parker Martini collection are both due out soon

Peter David vol 3 or Immortal Hulk hc vol 3? The first is out in May and the latter in April afaik - that would make it one hell of a delay! Just so you know :)

Of course I also have both of those on pre-order, along with Hulk Epic Collection: Going Gray (the lead up to the PAD run) in December, Hulk Epic Collection: Who Will Judge the Hulk (classic 70s Trimpe Hulk) and Immortal Hulk softcover vol 8 both in January, and the Maestro tpb (of the current Peter David series) in February. Since I bought both nextgen consoles this month and we just got a new telly this week, I'm hoping a few of those show up without missus Gerbik noticing! :ph34r:

I thought by focusing on just Hulk paperbacks it wouldn't be so bad, but coincidentally alongside the huge commercial and critical success of Immortal Hulk, the amount of Hulk books coming out seems to have ramped up. Weird, that.