The Watchtower - A thread for all comics

I tried Valerian before but could not get into it at all, the same goes for Incal heard great things but didn't really feel it. 

Things like XIII & The Nikopol Trilogy are fantastic mind, European comics are something special. 

Others i have liked are:-

Adele Blanc-Sec,

Mia & Co,

Snowpiercer,

Thorgal,

Kenya,

Nambia,

El Mercenario.

The first volume is out of print and could be difficult or pricey to get a hold of. I bought it immediately when it came out and I'm very very happy with it. It's a thing of beauty :wub:

I really hope Marvel follows through with volume 3. Don't fuck up now!

@KartoffelKopf I assume you've checked out Immortal Hulk though?

This week's Hulk was a bit of a head-scratcher for me although i'm not sure if it has a tie to last week or the week before Avengers.

X-Men 12 was one of the best ones for a while, the more they release the more i want to try X Of Swords. Hickman's world building has been top-notch with the X-Books and each week i'm waiting for an old x-man or x-villain to be introduced ago. 

1 hour ago, Ste Pickford said:

Those big Hulk omnibus books look absolutely impossible to read.

They are nothing compared to the big ones from DC, my copy of the Final Crisis omnibus has almost 1600 pages and is about twice as thick as the Marvel ones as DC use better paper in their books.

13 hours ago, Ste Pickford said:

Those big Hulk omnibus books look absolutely impossible to read.

Nah you just gotta have a nice pillow on the lap and your sorted. 

As @Charliemouse says some of mine are massive. Looking at you Infinite Crisis and The Invisibles. 

21 hours ago, Arn Ironjaw said:

This week's Hulk was a bit of a head-scratcher for me although i'm not sure if it has a tie to last week or the week before Avengers

I thought it was brilliant. Read Immortal Hulk 2 again if you don't remember father and son Frye.

5 hours ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

I thought it was brilliant. Read Immortal Hulk 2 again if you don't remember father and son Frye.

It was all the stuff with:-

Spoiler

His Dad & Bruce as a baby, I assume this is a flashback to stuff way before i used to read the Hulk. I think ill just need to go onto a wiki and research it all. 

11 minutes ago, Arn Ironjaw said:

It was all the stuff with:-

Hide contents

His Dad & Bruce as a baby, I assume this is a flashback to stuff way before i used to read the Hulk. I think ill just need to go onto a wiki and research it all. 

That's all in  Immortal Hulk 0 which came out alongside Immortal Hulk 37 last Wednesday :) It also features a new framing story for those essential classics, so recommended even if you're someone already familiar with the backstory!

9 hours ago, Arn Ironjaw said:

Ohhh how embarrassing, yeah i mean the 0.

Apologies @Mr. Gerbik 

No matter, I'm happy to answer any Hulk related questions if you'd rather not trawl through a wiki. Maybe you're overthinking Immortal Hulk 0 because all it does, is collect the two of the most essential back issues for understanding Bruce's childhood trauma. The fancy (and pretty imo!) paintery style art is new, and forms a new story frame around issues 312 and  minus 1 of The Incredible Hulk. 312 is from halfway through the eighties and -1 from halfway through the nineties if I recall correctly.

Not spoiled because this is old canon:

Up until 312, Hulk was the classic HULK SMASH loveable childish green monster that everyone knew, a creature that Bruce Banner turned into because of the gamma bomb. He was caught in the blast, and subsequently changed into the Hulk whenever he got angry. 312 changed all that, it flashes back to Bruce's childhood. We see his parents for the first time. Turns out Brian Banner was convinced that Bruce was a mutant - a monster - from the moment he was born. Bruce was not a mutant, but because of the horrible abuse he suffered, he developed the Hulk as a personality that shielded him. That protected him from emotions, like anger - anger is what made his dad hurt his mom, anger is what made Bruce feel scared and see his dad a literal monster. He kept everything bottled up and focused completely on his studies and grew up to be the genius who invented the gamma bomb. And as the gamma bomb exploded, everything Bruce had kept bottled up, the other personality that dealt with every emotion - was given a physical form. Hulk was always there, the gamma bomb just brought him out for the rest of the world to see.

As issue 312 ends you see Hulk talking with three weird fantasy creatures while standing in some weird dimensional crossroads. Bruce emerges and wonders how he's still alive. That part you can ignore, that's just where the main story was at in 312. Bruce committed suicide after losing control of the Hulk in issues 298 and 299. This left the Hulk as a mindless, savage. and destructive creature who was unstoppable even with combined might of all the superheroes - rather than kill him, Dr. Strange then decided to banish him to an interdimensional crossroads where he would hopefully find a place suited to him. In issue 312 Bruce emerges for the first time since 299 and the Crossroads saga is about to come to an end. But all you need to take away is the childhood flashback bits, about the abuse Bruce suffered and how he grew up to be the Hulk.

Flash forward to minus 1. This was a special one-shot released during the legendary Peter David era. By then it had been established that Bruce suffered from dissociative identity disorder. At this point we had the green savage Hulk, which represented Bruce as a child who just wanted to be left alone and be able to lash out, and the grey Hulk, which represented him as a teenager wanting to be mean and cool and be able to talk to girls. The Hulk in this issue is a merger of those two Hulks, with Banner temporarily separated (no need to know why). Which is why he says he feels empty and searching for 'something'.  At this point in the story in the main series he's dying. Near death he starts having visions, which is what the story in minus 1 is. In 312 it was already established that Brian killed Bruce's mom when they tried to escape at some point. He managed to dodge a guilty verdict by intimidating 7 (or so) year old Bruce into lying at the trial. The boy was scared to death - and he always felt guilty about that. Anyway, in 312 the last time Bruce sees his dad is at the grave of his mother. Brian, still convinced Bruce is a monster, walks away after a fight and Bruce never sees him again. However, in minus 1 it is revealed that is not quite what really happened. And we learn the final (final, until Immortal Hulk came along) fate of Brian Banner.

The new framing story shows us more about how

Spoiler

Leader got to Brian

and gives us a fresh perspective on the first 12 or so issues of Immortal Hulk.

Edit: I would also recommend checking out Incredible Hulk 377, which came out well before minus 1 and was also written by Peter David, which shows us exactly what happened to Bruce's mom and how Bruce reacted to that trauma. He saw his dad kill his mother - and there was no reaction. No tears, no sadness, no nothing. Bruce showed zero emotion - until the gamma bomb exploded.

Edit edit: and if there's something still not clear @Arn Ironjaw just ask! I typed all of the above from memory, I've been reading Hulk comics since I was 7 or 8 or something. And I never stopped, so I might be handier than a wiki to find specific answers :)

Edit edit edit: and all of the above also shows why I find the Hulk the most fascinating 'superhero' of them all. Whenever you get a good writer who's able to take all of that and put an interesting spin on it or add a new insight, that's when you get something truly special with this character. But it does take someone like Peter David and now Al Ewing to pull it off. A lot of lesser writers have churned out really REALLY shit Hulk stories over the years despite all the brilliant groundwork laid out by Peter David.

Fuck. I didn't realise that Remender's Black Science had actually finished and so failed to pick up the deluxe hardcovers in good time. The first one is now OOP and going for stupid money $70-100 and the second and third volumes are starting to shoot up in price. Funnily enough, all three were available from Amazon Japan at cover price until about a week ago, which was when I said to myself that I was going to stick to some kind of comic budget and not just buy everything that I wanted to buy as soon as I saw it come up. 

This now marks about the third time in recent months where I've been burned by not buying something as soon as it came out. I had to pay over the odds for Brubaker and Phillips "The Fade Out" hardcover just now (£80!) and paid slightly over cover price for the Kill or Be Killed hardcover (which then showed up with damaged corners which annoys me but I'm not sending it back lol).

Given my location, I think I just need to buy shit as soon as I see it on Amazon and worry about the budget later. My wife however is starting to question the stream of large omnibuses and hardcovers showing up though... :unsure:

@Mr. Gerbik Thanks dude i appreciate that. 

You really should do a YouTube video or a podcast, i would tune in either way. 

There's such a rich deep history there, which is fascinating for me.

Last time i saw The Leader he was in a coma, but i can't remember if that was during the whole World War Hulk's thing with Red Hulk etc. 

Or was it when Mohawk Hulk went around taking people's gamma powers.

14 hours ago, Talvalin said:

Fuck. I didn't realise that Remender's Black Science had actually finished and so failed to pick up the deluxe hardcovers in good time. The first one is now OOP and going for stupid money $70-100 and the second and third volumes are starting to shoot up in price. Funnily enough, all three were available from Amazon Japan at cover price until about a week ago, which was when I said to myself that I was going to stick to some kind of comic budget and not just buy everything that I wanted to buy as soon as I saw it come up. 

This now marks about the third time in recent months where I've been burned by not buying something as soon as it came out. I had to pay over the odds for Brubaker and Phillips "The Fade Out" hardcover just now (£80!) and paid slightly over cover price for the Kill or Be Killed hardcover (which then showed up with damaged corners which annoys me but I'm not sending it back lol).

Given my location, I think I just need to buy shit as soon as I see it on Amazon and worry about the budget later. My wife however is starting to question the stream of large omnibuses and hardcovers showing up though... :unsure:

Thanks for the reminder about the 3rd Black science. Just nabbed it from Amazon for £37. 

I have the other two but my vol 1 is the original printing with stupid glued binding and huge gutter loss. 

Just accept your new hardcover life. I'm getting a second kallax soon for the spare room. As I have over 140 Absolutes, Omnis and Hardcovers. And got more on the way. 

4 hours ago, Arn Ironjaw said:

@Mr. Gerbik Thanks dude i appreciate that. 

You really should do a YouTube video or a podcast, i would tune in either way. 

There's such a rich deep history there, which is fascinating for me.

Last time i saw The Leader he was in a coma, but i can't remember if that was during the whole World War Hulk's thing with Red Hulk etc. 

Or was it when Mohawk Hulk went around taking people's gamma powers.

No problem, I had fun writing that. :) I have no interest (or the talent for that matter!) in making videos or podcasts - I'll just stick to the occasional post on here. That's a nice bonus of Hulk being the best superhero comic right now; it gives me the opportunity to talk about the series more than ever before :D

I'm afraid I have no idea about the Leader though, his history is such a confusing and contradictory mess. I knew beforehand that Al Ewing was going to try and pull everything together in Immortal Hulk 34. Tell us the history of the Leader while tying everything together. To be honest, I didn't think he was going to be able to pull it off this well! Despite having read every single appearance of the Leader in the Huk comics, there are several points in the main series where I had no clue what was supposed to be happening to the Leader or what his status was. Ewing did it though, immortal hulk 34 pulls everything together and it all fits into a cohesive whole. Ewing impressed the fuck out of me with that one. 

9 hours ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

No problem, I had fun writing that. :) I have no interest (or the talent for that matter!) in making videos or podcasts - I'll just stick to the occasional post on here. That's a nice bonus of Hulk being the best superhero comic right now; it gives me the opportunity to talk about the series more than ever before :D

I'm afraid I have no idea about the Leader though, his history is such a confusing and contradictory mess. I knew beforehand that Al Ewing was going to try and pull everything together in Immortal Hulk 34. Tell us the history of the Leader while tying everything together. To be honest, I didn't think he was going to be able to pull it off this well! Despite having read every single appearance of the Leader in the Huk comics, there are several points in the main series where I had no clue what was supposed to be happening to the Leader or what his status was. Ewing did it though, immortal hulk 34 pulls everything together and it all fits into a cohesive whole. Ewing impressed the fuck out of me with that one. 

Nah you should seriously write a book just about Peter Davids run on the hulk. 

I've just picked up Pulp by Brubaker and Philips, and the first trade of Undiscovered Country, but have yet to read either having been away for a few days.

I see DC Universe is being moved to more of a Marvel Unlimited model, costing $7.99 a month or $74.99 for an annual subscription. I'm hoping we will actually get it over here this time!

Anyone else reading Joker War at all?

I'm up to issue 98 of Batman and i'm enjoying it so far and have a little theory on one of the characters introduced?

Spoiler

Is Clownhunter Damian Wayne?

Now hear me out this is total speculative so keep that in mind. 

When we first see him, his weapon is a baseball bat with a Batarang strapped to the top of it. He seems to also feel that criminals especially the Joker Gang have been given too much lenience and the only cure to that is for them to be executed. 

When we see Clownhunter again, he has taken out a Batmobile (stolen by Joker Gang members) using some survival training & some gadget trickery. 

Now Damien would have some really insight in ways to take down his father's gadgets as he would know them so well. 

Now the other thing that leads me down this path is:-

Spoiler

In Teen Titans Annual 2, After months of build up we see Damian quit being Robin.

After getting Alfred killed and not processing his death (and his love for him) his secret Prison and his renewed code that killing criminals not second chances is the only way he believes to save his loved ones and protect innocent lives, he hits breaking point declaring he is giving up his Robin persona to become who he believes he should be. 

Now methodology aside i noticed a little thing which i don't know is a McGuffin or not. 

Robin tears off his R insignia from the left breast. 

Now if you look at Clownhunter you can see the following same height, skin color, access to Battech, methodology.

But if you look at Clownhunters costume you can see a crossed out patch on his vest in the exact spot that the Robin R insignia would be. 

Like i say i could be barking up the wrong tree but just something i had noticed and if anyone else that is reading has a view point please share. 

11 minutes ago, Arn Ironjaw said:

Anyone else reading Joker War at all?

I'm up to issue 98 of Batman and i'm enjoying it so far and have a little theory on one of the characters introduced?

Reveal hidden contents

Is Clownhunter Damian Wayne?

Now hear me out this is total speculative so keep that in mind. 

When we first see him, his weapon is a baseball bat with a Batarang strapped to the top of it. He seems to also feel that criminals especially the Joker Gang have been given too much lenience and the only cure to that is for them to be executed. 

When we see Clownhunter again, he has taken out a Batmobile (stolen by Joker Gang members) using some survival training & some gadget trickery. 

Now Damien would have some really insight in ways to take down his father's gadgets as he would know them so well. 

Now the other thing that leads me down this path is:-

Reveal hidden contents

In Teen Titans Annual 2, After months of build up we see Damian quit being Robin.

After getting Alfred killed and not processing his death (and his love for him) his secret Prison and his renewed code that killing criminals not second chances is the only way he believes to save his loved ones and protect innocent lives, he hits breaking point declaring he is giving up his Robin persona to become who he believes he should be. 

Now methodology aside i noticed a little thing which i don't know is a McGuffin or not. 

Robin tears off his R insignia from the left breast. 

Now if you look at Clownhunter you can see the following same height, skin color, access to Battech, methodology.

But if you look at Clownhunters costume you can see a crossed out patch on his vest in the exact spot that the Robin R insignia would be. 

Like i say i could be barking up the wrong tree but just something i had noticed and if anyone else that is reading has a view point please share. 

James Tynion IV commented on that recently and denied it:

Spoiler

1 hour ago, Butters said:

I've just picked up Pulp by Brubaker and Philips, and the first trade of Undiscovered Country, but have yet to read either having been away for a few days.

I see DC Universe is being moved to more of a Marvel Unlimited model, costing $7.99 a month or $74.99 for an annual subscription. I'm hoping we will actually get it over here this time!

Next summer it’s coming to the ROW.

1 hour ago, Butters said:

I see DC Universe is being moved to more of a Marvel Unlimited model, costing $7.99 a month or $74.99 for an annual subscription. I'm hoping we will actually get it over here this time

Pulp was as you expect from Brubaker and Phillips. Bloody great. 

1 hour ago, 11 Herbs 'n' Spices said:

James Tynion IV commented on that recently and denied it:

Hide contents

Cheers i hadn't seen that, i take it with a pinch of salt mind after all he said that about "The Designer" didn't he and we all now know he was lying :P

That could almost mean my theory is confirmed.