rllmuk
biglime

The Watchtower - A thread for all comics

I would recommend Blue Flag, I read the first volume last week and even though it seems like a typical Shonen romantic comedy, I really enjoyed reading it and it was refreshing to see there was little or no fan-service in it and none of the main characters were too annoying.

It was my birthday today (well, technically now yesterday as it's gone midnight), so I decided to splurge and bought the Snyder Batman omnibus (yes, the one with the awful guttering) and the Cliff Chiang Wonder Woman omnibus to go with the PAD Hulk Omnibus that is still on its way from the US.

At least the Snyder omnibus will arrive tomorrow, although it's monstrously large so I suspect I'll be reading it at a table to avoid breaking my wrists.

• Upvote 4

Happy Birthday dude!

That Snyder book is well worth it, was one the best runs of Batman we had seen in a long time. 

May have to dig my trades out for a re-read at somepoint soon, feeling inspired now lol.

• Upvote 1

Belated happy birthday @Talvalin!

Seconded on Snyder's run being great. I've got the individual hardback editions, and my start a reread this weekend.

Can anyone give me some advice?

I want to get into comics properly, specifically DC and Marvel and that ilk. I've tried a few times but one of the following always happens:

• I get overwhelmed by all the alternate timelines/universes running parallel
  • A big company-wide mega-crossover happens that demands I buy loads more comics to understand it all and I say sod that
  • Series abruptly start/end and I can't find a simple list of release news without lots of reviews etc

From what sites I've looked at it's surprisingly difficult to work out what's ongoing, really. Maybe I need to find the right one. But yes, are there any good, ongoing, easy-to-get-into comics that are mostly self-contained (I don't mind the occasional crossover) right now?

3 hours ago, Johnson Geoffrey Johnson said:

I want to get into comics properly, specifically DC and Marvel and that ilk. I've tried a few times but one of the following always happens:

• A big company-wide mega-crossover happens that demands I buy loads more comics to understand it all and I say sod that
  • Series abruptly start/end and I can't find a simple list of release news without lots of reviews etc

From what sites I've looked at it's surprisingly difficult to work out what's ongoing, really. Maybe I need to find the right one. But yes, are there any good, ongoing, easy-to-get-into comics that are mostly self-contained (I don't mind the occasional crossover) right now?

Immortal Hulk is one of the best comics out right now, arguably *the* best, and is also completely self contained. Zero crossovers. The writer specifically asked to avoid crossovers before starting his run. Start with volume 1 and enjoy!

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Johnson Geoffrey Johnson said:

If you have a tablet get a MarvelUnlimited subscription. You get access to almost their entire history of comics. New comics are added with a six month delay.

Also how do you feel about Manga? A Shonen Jump digital sub is £1.99 a month and has so much stuff with it. Manga as a rule doesn't do crossovers :)

Also read NEXTWAVE. Agents of Hate. Because this is what they want.

8 hours ago, Johnson Geoffrey Johnson said:

I listen to the Weekly Planet podcast, and the other week their feature was on 'Best Starter Comics'. They did DC that issue, but are planning on doing Marvel and the other publishers over the next few weeks.

Might be worth a listen.

10 hours ago, Johnson Geoffrey Johnson said:

Daft question maybe, but why?

As you say, they have loads of overwhelming alternate timelines running in parallel, and big crossovers that demand you buy loads more comics to understand it all, and series abruptly starting and ending.  Perhaps your initial reaction of 'sod that' is the correct one?

There's quite a lot of non Marvel / DC comics outside of the US mainstream that don't suffer from this nonsense.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Flub said:

There's a really good Image comics bundle at the moment at Humble. Some real quality stuff in there

https://www.humblebundle.com/books/image-comics-showcase-books

3 hours ago, Arn Ironjaw said:

It's worth it for Battle Chasers, Black Science, Pretty Deadly & Heavy Liquid alone.

I really enjoyed Nowhere Men and Redlands (vol 1, not read vol 2 yet) from that lot

Monstress and Corpa are also both excellent in that bundle. The Invincible volumes should also wet your appetite for the full series which is also great

Haven't read Copra yet but I second Monstress. Not just an excellent story, the art is also out of this world gorgeous.

• Upvote 2

Oh man. There's some great volumes of Komi Can't Communicate coming this year

The journey to 100 friends begins with a single conversation.

Socially anxious high school student Shoko Komi’s greatest dream is to make some friends, but everyone at school mistakes her crippling social anxiety for cool reserve! With the whole student body keeping their distance and Komi unable to utter a single word, friendship might be forever beyond her reach.

Valentine’s Day is a total minefield for people with communication disorders, but this year Komi has a secret weapon to combat the stressful holiday—friends! Armed with a chocolate cake she baked with Onemine and Otori, Komi is ready to give Tadano a Valentine’s gift. At some point! Before the day is over! She swears!

But I have to wait until Feb 2021 for the next Flying Witch!

• Upvote 3

Marvel has bought some rights:

https://www.marvel.com/articles/comics/marvel-comics-to-publish-new-alien-and-predator-stories

Today, Marvel Entertainment announced three iconic franchises – ALIEN, PREDATOR, and ALIEN VS. PREDATOR – will be launching all-new stories with Marvel Comics starting in 2021!

I like the way they phrased the announcement as THREE franchises: Bread! Eggs! And Bread vs. Eggs!

• Upvote 1

That Humble Image Comics Bundle, is it PDF's or does it give out Comixology codes? I'd rather the latter just so everythings in one place and I don't have to have them stored on my tablet until I want to read them.

4 minutes ago, wev said:

That Humble Image Comics Bundle, is it PDF's or does it give out Comixology codes? I'd rather the latter just so everythings in one place and I don't have to have them stored on my tablet until I want to read them.

PDFs, CBR and epub generally. You can't put them on Comixology.

In Shonen Jump news they just started a new series called Hard Boiled Cop and Dolphin and I'm not going to say anything about the plot.

19 hours ago, Ste Pickford said:

Daft question maybe, but why?

As you say, they have loads of overwhelming alternate timelines running in parallel, and big crossovers that demand you buy loads more comics to understand it all, and series abruptly starting and ending.  Perhaps your initial reaction of 'sod that' is the correct one?

There's quite a lot of non Marvel / DC comics outside of the US mainstream that don't suffer from this nonsense.

This was my initial reaction as well. DC and (to a lesser extent, I find) Marvel do have some great standalone, sometimes pseudo-canon limited series, but every time I've ever tried to get involved in one of the ongoing comics series I've ended up dropping off/regretting it again.

To be honest, other than having more recognisable characters I don't think they have anything over a lot of the other relatively mainstream or indie publishers anyway, and most of the comics I read these days are published by Image, Vertigo, Dark Horse et al. They seem to have more interesting series, with beginnings, middles and ends, and even sometimes little crossovers that you actually like, that don't require an encyclopaedic knowledge of the lore and/or healthy bank balance to understand/enjoy.

23 minutes ago, Flub said:

PDFs, CBR and epub generally. You can't put them on Comixology.

In Shonen Jump news they just started a new series called Hard Boiled Cop and Dolphin and I'm not going to say anything about the plot.

I quite enjoyed the new Shonen Jump title but like all the recent new ones that have started recently, I can’t imagining them going on for that long.

They really need to find a stand out title soon, while the new ones are all fun to read, there really isn’t much substance in any of the new ones.

How did Dark Horse lose all of these rights (Conan as well in recent years)? Are they selling them off to make money or conversely were they unable to stump up the cash to renew an existing license?

I'm not bitter that I missed out on the Colossal Conan editions. Nope. Not at all. I'm kind of hoping that if Marvel have the license to reprint those stories, then they'll reprint all of those omnibus editions again (although the 50 issue first Colossal Conan might break my arms if I ever managed to get a copy).

Dunno about Conan but I expect everything is owned by Disney or Fox to some extent so as the licenses come to an end they move to marvel.

On 03/07/2020 at 16:21, Talvalin said:

How did Dark Horse lose all of these rights (Conan as well in recent years)? Are they selling them off to make money or conversely were they unable to stump up the cash to renew an existing license?

I'm not bitter that I missed out on the Colossal Conan editions. Nope. Not at all. I'm kind of hoping that if Marvel have the license to reprint those stories, then they'll reprint all of those omnibus editions again (although the 50 issue first Colossal Conan might break my arms if I ever managed to get a copy).

Marvel are already printing these btw

• Upvote 1

Confirmed? Confirmed.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/more-conan-barbarian-reprint-collections-coming-marvel-1130759

Much as hardbacks look nice, the original 50 issue omnibus was nothing short of ridiculous. Two paperbacks covering most of the material should do just as well and are perhaps less likely to sell out than a straight up reprint of the original Colossal Conan omnibus books.

Meanwhile, my PAD Hulk Omnibus showed up and I think I've just remembered why I never read the Mr Fixit stories first time around. Jeff Purves's art is...not the best. Keown absolutely smashed it when he came on board and I absolutely loved Frank's run, but there was a distinct slump in art quality after that.

@Talvalin amazon has the Marvel Conan epic collections and its the dark horse reprints. Sorry was working earlier and couldn't reply with full detail. 

I wasn't hyped for this at all!

But damn last weeks Batman and this week's issue combined with Detective Comics has be so damn hyped for Joker War!

I can't say too much because of spoiling what has happened but i found the war plans i suppose refreshing and very interesting, Punchline a decent character so far as opposed to the Harley Quinn rip off i thought we were going to get.  

One of my favourite parts was seeing the reactions between Bat & Cat, i quite often forget (writers too) that beneath that cowl is a man. A battered and flawed man but a man nether the less whom like the rest of our sex realizes that behind every great man is a woman and should he lose that woman he will effectively lose his foundation stone. 

I think I'm going to have to buy the main series weekly even though i had promised myself i would wait for the trade paperback instead.