IGNORED

The Watchtower - A thread for all comics

biglime

Possed that not because I'm glad it's ending, but because I'm glad it's ending, if you know what I mean. Ewing always said he had the story planned with a beginning, middle and end, so I'm glad we're going to get that, rather than it being dragged out forever.

5 hours ago, Arn Ironjaw said:

I wonder if theyll leave it for a bit as a run isnt going to garner any fame after the masterpiece that was.

I see were also getting a new she-hulk title soon but didnt take in the creative team maybe thats what is replacing this title. 

Apparently Immortal She-Hulk is a one shot. Maybe a test of the concept?

Passed probation at my new job last week and decided to celebrate by getting the PAD Hulk omnibus (I finally found someone who can send the variant cover edition to Japan for a reasonable price). It should be arriving around early to mid July. :)

Whilst I'm on the subject of variant omnibus covers, I also really want the variant cover for the recently reprinted Astonishing X-Men omnibus, but the difference in price is £30 which is a great deal more than for other omnibuses (such as the first PAD Hulk omnibus). It's so damn nice though, and drawn by Cassaday too, which is probably why online shops are taking the piss with it. 

image.png.55d15b28a9e3467246865c6a5aff0fa5.png

Immortal Hulk 34: I've said it before but this issue again proves Ewing is a goddamn genius. 

Spoiler

The Leader was one of Hulk's goofier villains before Peter David's revamp in the Ground Zero storyline. Since then he's the Hulk's undisputed archenemy, but here Ewing kicks it up yet another notch.

He somehow manages to weave together almost six decades of extremely disjointed Leader appearances, where his status quo was often unclear, or contradicted his previous appearances, or was completely illogical and out character. He not only weaves it all together into one epic and fascinating tale, he does so while tying it all into current Immortal Hulk continuity. And at the same time making the Leader a more interesting character, one that you even sympathize with in a weird way. And to top it all off, even with everything we've seen so far in Immortal Hulk, Leader is firmly established as the most dangerous threat of them all in just one issue.

Spoiler

Oh and Ewing also ties up a few major dangling plot threads in the Hulk series from way back while he's at it.

And he does all this without contradicting old continuity, and without making it seem forced. It reads and feels like it was always supposed to be this one long epic saga. He makes it seem easy, which just makes it even more impressive.

In conclusion: one of my favourite Immortal Hulk issues so far.

5 hours ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

Immortal Hulk 34: I've said it before but this issue again proves Ewing is a goddamn genius. 

Hide contents

The Leader was one of Hulk's goofier villains before Peter David's revamp in the Ground Zero storyline. Since then he's the Hulk's undisputed archenemy, but here Ewing kicks it up yet another notch.

He somehow manages to weave together almost six decades of extremely disjointed Leader appearances, where his status quo was often unclear, or contradicted his previous appearances, or was completely illogical and out character. He not only weaves it all together into one epic and fascinating tale, he does so while tying it all into current Immortal Hulk continuity. And at the same time making the Leader a more interesting character, one that you even sympathize with in a weird way. And to top it all off, even with everything we've seen so far in Immortal Hulk, Leader is firmly established as the most dangerous threat of them all in just one issue.

Hide contents

Oh and Ewing also ties up a few major dangling plot threads in the Hulk series from way back while he's at it.

And he does all this without contradicting old continuity, and without making it seem forced. It reads and feels like it was always supposed to be this one long epic saga. He makes it seem easy, which just makes it even more impressive.

In conclusion: one of my favourite Immortal Hulk issues so far.

I can see Marvel doing the whole retcon thing as usual when they title ends. 

Pisses me right off as this has been a Hulk i can get behind!

Way I see it?

At the end of Immortal Hulk and the end of

Spoiler

time hulk punches entropy square in the mush, and kickstarts the second Big Bang, threading gamma radiation all through another reality, where he waits for amother scientist to break the barriers between worlds and go through the green door.

that’s why he’s angry. he keeps doing it over and over.

This stuff writes itself!

I've started reading a manga called Flying Witch. About a witch in training called Matoko who goes to live with her cousin in the countryside. It's a modern day setting and is just sweet and nice with no drama at all (I'm up to volume 3). It's just lovely.

cli2De8.jpg

33 minutes ago, Charliemouse said:

Damn it’s published by Vertical which means it’s almost twice as expensive as books that are published by Viz, which is so annoying as Flub’s recommendations for Manga are usually really good.

I got lucky and bought the first six volumes in a comixology sale ages ago and only just got around to starting them :)

I tend not to go for the overtly gritty and violent stuff (Although like anything if I can empathise with the characters I can often get onboard). I enjoyed Knights of Sidonia despite the grimness and the odd art. I tend to like slice of life stuff. Realistic settings are fine but throw in a little bit of odd and you've hooked me. I had great fun with Yamada Kun and the 7 Witches.

It's a shame there's not more light hearted or romantic sci-fi manga. Most of it seems to be rather serious.

But something like this or Komi Can't Communicate? I'm all over that shit. Nobody is fanservicing and any drama is really mild and contained.

Edit. The first few volumes of Flying Witch are on sale at Comixology

Once I'm caught up with Flying Witch I'm going to give Chio's School Road a try. That one looks nice and odd

The story features a simple premise—high school girl Chio Miyamo walking from her house to her school. What happens between these two points, however, varies from day to day, ranging from strange conversations with her friend Manana, dealing with biker gangs, and performing death-defying feats of parkour.

I would recommend Blue Flag, I read the first volume last week and even though it seems like a typical Shonen romantic comedy, I really enjoyed reading it and it was refreshing to see there was little or no fan-service in it and none of the main characters were too annoying.