IGNORED

The Watchtower - A thread for all comics

biglime

5 minutes ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

There's a new series of The Boys out??!

https://www.dynamite.com/htmlfiles/viewProduct.html?PRO=C72513029057101011

Twelve years after the events of The Boys, Hughie finds himself back home in Scotland where he intends to finally marry Annie in the company of friends and family. But the sudden appearance of a peculiar document sends our hero into a tailspin and threatens to bring the events of his nightmarish past crashing down on him in the worst possible way. There was one story about The Boys that Hughie never knew. Now, whether he likes it or not, he's going to.

there you go babe!

12 hours ago, Flub said:

Begun the comics wars have. DC ditches Diamond completely and while this breaks up a long term and damaging distribution monopoly it completely fucks LCS outside the US. Very worrying times for people who like the physical and a potential problem going forward for weekly sales.

https://bleedingcool.com/comics/stagnant-dc-sales-diamond-plans-gossip/

Well worth a read.

1 hour ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

Well worth a read.

Indeed. Especially the last paragraph of the second page. Is it possible that it's the weekly floppy market itself and the way it's priced and structured that is the cause of the issue? DC switching distributer won't help there but staying with Diamond also does nothing to fix it.

The whole comic industry is a fucking mess and until they realise that they need more then than just middle-aged white men to sustain it and eventually start growing again, then I can’t see it being around too much longer.

The pricing and the way comics are presently sold, needs to change ASAP.

5 minutes ago, Charliemouse said:

The whole comic industry is a fucking mess and until they realise that they need more then than just middle-aged white men to sustain it and eventually start growing again, then I can’t see it being around too much longer.

The pricing and the way comics are presently sold, needs to change ASAP.

This. Double for digital.

Bleeding Cool (Yes I know) speculated that the end state of this might need to be weeklies being digital only to severely bring down the costs with collections and trades still being available in physical (For as long as people still want physical anyway). We  know this hasn't happened yet because of the desire within DC and Marvel to keep the LCS alive but I can't see the industry surviving long term with the current business model.

Weekly singles sales are lower than they've ever been I think and isn't manga still huge with teenagers? Manga they don't need to go to a LCS to buy? Then you look at offerings like Marvel U and Shonen Jump (9.99 and 1.99 a month respectively). I've been reading classic Thor comics to the point where I haven't touched the rest of my backlog in weeks. I'd kill for a similar service from DC. Maybe weeklies need to be rethought completely. The cost per page of content is just wrong.

I'd also like to present the new range of digital firsts from DC. A range started during the lockdown, aprox 17 pages each and only 79p. I think I can smell the direction DC is wanting to go in.

Question to physical owners. If weeklies moved to digital only but were priced at 79p what would your thoughts be on that? I'm not judging. I totally understand the love you have for physical goods despite being entirely digital for music, books, comics, TV and movies myself. I just spent 20 quid on a small model of an obscure character from a very bad Doctor Who story :)

On the digital side take a look at this I just screengrabbed from the Comixology website

image.thumb.png.1a7cfe926207444344120fb831f1e9da.png

3.19 for an issue of Revenge of the Cosmic Ghost Rider and again for Avengers of the Wasteland (Both very forgettable comics) or you could put that money to an entire trade of a classic Star Trek comic.

Those DC digital prices though? They're pretty good.

I also have a digital sub to 2000AD and the Megazine which is very good value for money (Digital 2000ad sub is currently 50% off as well)

In other news I've been reading classic Thor comics. I've avoided these for a while since the character wasn't high on my list but man they've been fun. Odin is a prick and a Deus Ex Machinae. They obviously had no idea what to do with his secret identity most of the time. The most surprising thing was how competent he is. This is a superman level character. In the early days pretty much his only downside is changing back to Don Blake if he loses his hammer for 60 seconds. In comparison the same era of Iron Man comics is him being weak as fuck and constantly running out of power and needing to avoid a heart attack.  Bad to read. Thor is much more able to let rip. Definitely recommended if someone wants to read some good shit.

I got the new volume of Komi Can't Communicate today and it's as adorable as ever. Tadano gets a bad cold and in his fever he tried to call Najimi for help but accidentally calls Komi who comes over to help. She cooks him food and stays while he falls asleep. It's lovely

7WW3oKl.jpg

h3M5PMV.jpg

57 minutes ago, Flub said:

I got the new volume of Komi Can't Communicate today and it's as adorable as ever. Tadano gets a bad cold and in his fever he tried to call Najimi for help but accidentally calls Komi who comes over to help. She cooks him food and stays while he falls asleep. It's lovely

7WW3oKl.jpg

h3M5PMV.jpg

I received volume 3 in the post today so I am a little behind you, volume 2 was brilliant though.

12 hours ago, Arn Ironjaw said:

a nice transparency email to customers wouldnt have gone a miss. 

Exactly. They did reply to my email to say my order would be unaffected but it hasn't arrived as yet. I guess I'll keep on waiting....

On 06/06/2020 at 13:39, Flub said:

I also have a digital sub to 2000AD and the Megazine which is very good value for money (Digital 2000ad sub is currently 50% off as well)

could you tell me where I could find this 50% off deal please?

thanks

Looks like Image has dropped its prices down to 79p per issue.

My Deadly Class issue for today has dropped to that price digitally, cant complain about that. 

DC and Marvel are back upto £3.19 and issue with only the digital firsts staying at the usual 79p for DC..

I think weekly comics maybe done for me for the time being and ill stick to digital trades.

On 15/05/2020 at 16:48, Mr. Gerbik said:

Future Imperfect is a fantastic story by the way :) I have high hopes for this! PAD is back.

20200515_033749.thumb.jpg.7d841704c76f362167c2419b9e1d1fd4.jpg

Whilst I'm happy to hear that PAD is back on Hulk, I'm not sure that a Maestro origin story was what anyone actually wanted. I liked the fact that it was left a bit vague as to how Hulk turned into Maestro and that was all for the good. Filling in the blanks could be a massive disappointment or it could be amazing. Fingers crossed anyway.

On 19/05/2020 at 01:04, Arn Ironjaw said:

1.jpg

2.jpg

Argh. I know sound effects are stupid (although Simonson gets a pass for being more epic than any one artist deserves to be), but literal sound effects "kick", "slice", "swipe" drive me up the wall for some reason. Tony Cliff does it with his Delilah Dirk series and I find it incredibly off-putting. It's almost as in by doing so, the comic becomes more unrealistic in some strange way.

The "glare" here is just unnecessary

ch1-p032.jpg

I hit the 90s in my Thor readthrough and it's all gone a bit 90s. Thor has been replaced by a mortal completely out of his depth to the point even Spiderman is taking the piss out of him. The Executioner has just also been replaced my a mortal with a hip new 90s anti-bastard design

ppQQFDo.jpg

"Bloodaxe"

Odin has been usurped in secret *AGAIN*. I need to power through. Feel the burn and get to the more juicy stuff later.

Oh yeah. Even Sif got a new 90s edge haircut.

3 hours ago, Talvalin said:

Whilst I'm happy to hear that PAD is back on Hulk, I'm not sure that a Maestro origin story was what anyone actually wanted. I liked the fact that it was left a bit vague as to how Hulk turned into Maestro and that was all for the good. Filling in the blanks could be a massive disappointment or it could be amazing. Fingers crossed anyway.

Argh. I know sound effects are stupid (although Simonson gets a pass for being more epic than any one artist deserves to be), but literal sound effects "kick", "slice", "swipe" drive me up the wall for some reason. Tony Cliff does it with his Delilah Dirk series and I find it incredibly off-putting. It's almost as in by doing so, the comic becomes more unrealistic in some strange way.

Sound effects infuriate me because they're so rarely done well. Mignola is the master at perfectly composing a panel or layout with well thought out effects. Although by the time he got to Hellboy in Hell 9 times out of 10 he just put a massive "BOOM" behind every punch. At least they looked good.

I got the 1st edition Dark Horse Akira paperbacks when they came out in the early 00s. I was massively hyped for them and I remember reading a big interview with Studio Proteus about the retouch job and how they were using a tweaked version of the original Marvel/Epic English translation and the retouched pages from the French editions. They went in to loads of detail about how some of the effects made no sense onomatopoeically in English (like "Spout!" for a punch effect) and how they'd painstakingly create new effects in the same style to make everything as seamless as possible...

...The effects they put in were rank - looked like Windows Text Art pasted over the panels and then they stopped bothering to retouching the sound effects around volume 3 anyway and the "Spout" panel is still there in all its surreal glory. Their retouched, hand drawn sound effects for Appleseed and Ghost In The Shell were superb so I don't know what went wrong given how high profile a series Akira was.

4 hours ago, Talvalin said:

True, the most painful example that comes to mind of unnecessarily filling in blanks that should never ever have been filled, are the Alien prequels. Often the mystery is way more interesting than the actual answer.  (Edit: the Star Wars prequels is another good example)

Buuut sometimes it works. In comics more often than in movies. And it's great having PAD back onboard for this, sometimes he disappoints but when you have PAD in top form it's something special. That goes double for when he's in top form with the Hulk. I have high hopes!

4 hours ago, Talvalin said:

Simonson is the absolute epic sound effect master. Also one of my favorite artists full stop.

But I get what you're saying with the literal sound effects, and I suspect it's because of the newer generation of comic book artists having grown up with manga. Manga is filled with that stuff, although it doesn't jump out as much - maybe because it's often left in kanji or katakana, so us westerners have no idea it's so literal. Or maybe, in cases where it is translated, they're often used in light hearted/comical moments - not when the big dramatic stuff happens. At least in my mind, maybe I have the wrong idea. But it seems like in the examples you posted, the literal sound effects are used in bloody serious moments and it totally ruins it for me also. Swipe, indeed.

2 hours ago, Flub said:

"Bloodaxe"

The 90s were so so bad for stuff like this :lol: Could also have been called Deathaxe.

I've started reading Spy X Family on the Shonen Jump app tonight. It's about a master spy who gets a mission to infiltrate an elite school. To do this he needs a child who can attend and a wife. He has neither.

First he visits a shady orphanage and gets Anya (It's a very shady orphanage) and then through a sequence of events meets Yor who agrees to become his wife. The setting is a fictional country that has a very eastern european attitude to politics. Spies, people accusing their neighbours of treason etc. Yor explains it as a convenience for her so she doesn't seem suspicious (One woman gets taken away for being single at 30). Loid (The spy) tell Yor his previous wife died and her wish was for Anya to get into the elite school.

But there's a twist. Loid isn't the only one with a secret. Yor is a master assassin and is using Loid for better cover. Ayna is basically (And you find this out virtually straight away) is telepathic but hides it. Ayna is also six years old and doesn't understand a lot of what she "hears". Anya is the only one with the complete picture

So on one hand it's a fight heavy shonen manga about a spy and an assassin but it also makes it very obvious it's also a tale about two broken people and a lonely little girl becoming a real family.

The first chapter has this image

Syw53yF.jpg

Loid fell asleep and Anya cuddles in with him. I'm only 7 chapters in but Yor is starting to really bond with Anya and Loid is definitely starting to soften. One very early scene shows Loid goes into a mission, does whatever he needs to complete it and then leaves no matter what innocents he causes pain. He's dating a daughter of his target when we first meet and when his mission ends ditches her abruptly and walks out. This new mission is obviously the one that's going to change him

A Shonen Jump sub is also £1.99 a month I think.

1 hour ago, Flub said:

I've started reading Spy X Family on the Shonen Jump app tonight. It's about a master spy who gets a mission to infiltrate an elite school. To do this he needs a child who can attend and a wife. He has neither.

First he visits a shady orphanage and gets Anya (It's a very shady orphanage) and then through a sequence of events meets Yor who agrees to become his wife. The setting is a fictional country that has a very eastern european attitude to politics. Spies, people accusing their neighbours of treason etc. Yor explains it as a convenience for her so she doesn't seem suspicious (One woman gets taken away for being single at 30). Loid (The spy) tell Yor his previous wife died and her wish was for Anya to get into the elite school.

But there's a twist. Loid isn't the only one with a secret. Yor is a master assassin and is using Loid for better cover. Ayna is basically (And you find this out virtually straight away) is telepathic but hides it. Ayna is also six years old and doesn't understand a lot of what she "hears". Anya is the only one with the complete picture

So on one hand it's a fight heavy shonen manga about a spy and an assassin but it also makes it very obvious it's also a tale about two broken people and a lonely little girl becoming a real family.

Syw53yF.jpg

Loid fell asleep and Anya cuddles in with him. I'm only 7 chapters in but Yor is starting to really bond with Anya and Loid is definitely starting to soften. One very early scene shows Loid goes into a mission, does whatever he needs to complete it and then leaves no matter what innocents he causes pain. He's dating a daughter of his target when we first meet and when his mission ends ditches her abruptly and walks out. This new mission is obviously the one that's going to change him

I read the first volume thanks to NetGalley, I found the overall tone to be a bit confusing, it flies around all over the place and could do with settling down a bit

http://www.barharukiya.co.uk/spy-x-family-tatsuya-endo/06/

I loved the whole outfit change section though.

I really need to get around to sideloading Shonen on to my Kindle Fire, there isn't an app for it on Amazon, because I#m just not reading stuff on my phone and my sub is going to waste

2 hours ago, Flub said:

Syw53yF.jpg

It’s certainly one of the better new series on Jump but that’s not really saying much as most of the current series are utter trash.

23 hours ago, matt0 said:

Sound effects infuriate me because they're so rarely done well. Mignola is the master at perfectly composing a panel or layout with well thought out effects. Although by the time he got to Hellboy in Hell 9 times out of 10 he just put a massive "BOOM" behind every punch. At least they looked good.

I got the 1st edition Dark Horse Akira paperbacks when they came out in the early 00s. I was massively hyped for them and I remember reading a big interview with Studio Proteus about the retouch job and how they were using a tweaked version of the original Marvel/Epic English translation and the retouched pages from the French editions. They went in to loads of detail about how some of the effects made no sense onomatopoeically in English (like "Spout!" for a punch effect) and how they'd painstakingly create new effects in the same style to make everything as seamless as possible...

...The effects they put in were rank - looked like Windows Text Art pasted over the panels and then they stopped bothering to retouching the sound effects around volume 3 anyway and the "Spout" panel is still there in all its surreal glory. Their retouched, hand drawn sound effects for Appleseed and Ghost In The Shell were superb so I don't know what went wrong given how high profile a series Akira was.

Mignola is a good shout. I will eventually read all of Hellboy when my US friend is able to visit me in Japan and bring the third Hellboy library edition that I had sent to his flat. I had thought I would still visit the US with my previous company, but things went south there, so he's sitting on that book (and a few others). Balls. Anyway, I'm going off topic here.

Wait, so Dark Horse had the Akira license as well at one point? How many of Marvel's licenses did they snap up in the 00s? They got Star Wars and Conan to name a couple but Akira is new to me. I own all of the Epic coloured floppies (in the UK) so I need to have a look to see what the sound effects look like in those initial English editions. :) 

22 hours ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

True, the most painful example that comes to mind of unnecessarily filling in blanks that should never ever have been filled, are the Alien prequels. Often the mystery is way more interesting than the actual answer.  (Edit: the Star Wars prequels is another good example)

Buuut sometimes it works. In comics more often than in movies. And it's great having PAD back onboard for this, sometimes he disappoints but when you have PAD in top form it's something special. That goes double for when he's in top form with the Hulk. I have high hopes!

Simonson is the absolute epic sound effect master. Also one of my favorite artists full stop.

But I get what you're saying with the literal sound effects, and I suspect it's because of the newer generation of comic book artists having grown up with manga. Manga is filled with that stuff, although it doesn't jump out as much - maybe because it's often left in kanji or katakana, so us westerners have no idea it's so literal. Or maybe, in cases where it is translated, they're often used in light hearted/comical moments - not when the big dramatic stuff happens. At least in my mind, maybe I have the wrong idea. But it seems like in the examples you posted, the literal sound effects are used in bloody serious moments and it totally ruins it for me also. Swipe, indeed.

The 90s were so so bad for stuff like this :lol: Could also have been called Deathaxe.

I haven't read PAD's original Hulk run in ages. Getting omnibuses here costs a fortune, but I'm about to pass probation at my new company and I was thinking of getting either the Sandman omnibuses (finally) or PAD's first Hulk omnibus. Guess I'm getting the Hulk omnibus after all this talk lol. :) 

As for the sound effects thing, I should note that Delilah Dirk is generally played for laughs (even though she stabs her way through a lot of hapless bad guys) but yeah, that scene in particular was serious and yet somewhat ruined by the unnecessary literal sound effect. Manga is an interesting comparison to make, but those kinds of sound effects, though more literal, are pretty much only used in that context and they are also for the most part universal. If all American comics had literal sound effects from the very beginning, then I would have most likely just accepted it as given (especially since I started reading them regularly when I was around 11, although I lapsed around 20 years ago and generally only buy collected editions these days). The thing is that I love Pope's art style, so I would still probably buy that Wonder Woman comic through gritted teeth. Meh. I'm probably just being a killjoy.

Whilst I'm on the subject, has anyone here read Chiang and Azzarello's Wonder Woman? I heard that Azzarello tore up a lot of her history (especially the good bits), but Chiang's art is wonderful so I'm just wondering if his art compensates for any shortfalls in the writing.