IGNORED

The Watchtower - A thread for all comics

biglime

Just finished PAD's X-Factor. It has a very, very strong start and middle (Despite getting hit by crossovers a bit too much) but kinda fizzled about three quarters though and was pretty much a nothing ending. A very recommended read though.

I'm not sure what I want to read next. Something mutant related but what I don't know.

There some decent runs of x-force if you like that kind of thing.

The original stuff is a bit tongue in cheek but came off the back of the original new mutants title, but i still like to read it. 

You get to see the decent version of Deadpool too before he became the character he is today, x-force is one of those guilty pleasures i kept from the nineties and i read every version of the team since its original incarnation. 

What do you all think of Grendel by Matt Wagner? I've read a bit of it in the nineties and remember liking it. I couldn't resist buying the Grendel Omnibuses during a sale on Comixology and just finished reading the first fat volume... And I like it even more now than when I was a stoned teenager! What's this thread's consensus? Yay or "worst comic ever"?

(Coincidentally they're all on sale again right now. The three volumes are the main series, the two Grendel Tales omnibuses are spinoff yarns)

Shit, that's actually difficult to answer. It begins as an exploration of the ultimate form that evil within oneself can take set in a sort of crime noir 80s New York. Grendel is the main character but also the villain. Very down to earth save for a few supernatural elements. What makes it even more interesting than just the story by itself, is that Wagner uses it to experiment with the possibilities of comic book storytelling. The first omnibus starts with the main story, which takes the form of excerpts from a book written by the daughter of one of Grendel's victims way after the fact, with illustrations visualising those excerpts. After that it's a collection of short stories set within the time frame of that first tale, each taking a drastically different approach to storytelling using loads of different artists.

After that first omnibus, Grendel's legacy endures and Wagner takes readers into the future as the concept of Grendel keeps re-emerging in subsequent series (instead of short stories like in the first omnibus), and eventually leads into a dystopian, ruined world in which everyone is directly affected by Grendel. Each series tries something completely different and it's always at the very least fascinating. I really like it but I wondered whether I was alone in that.

13 hours ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

Shit, that's actually difficult to answer. It begins as an exploration of the ultimate form that evil within oneself can take set in a sort of crime noir 80s New York. Grendel is the main character but also the villain. Very down to earth save for a few supernatural elements. What makes it even more interesting than just the story by itself, is that Wagner uses it to experiment with the possibilities of comic book storytelling. The first omnibus starts with the main story, which takes the form of excerpts from a book written by the daughter of one of Grendel's victims way after the fact, with illustrations visualising those excerpts. After that it's a collection of short stories set within the time frame of that first tale, each taking a drastically different approach to storytelling using loads of different artists.

After that first omnibus, Grendel's legacy endures and Wagner takes readers into the future as the concept of Grendel keeps re-emerging in subsequent series (instead of short stories like in the first omnibus), and eventually leads into a dystopian, ruined world in which everyone is directly affected by Grendel. Each series tries something completely different and it's always at the very least fascinating. I really like it but I wondered whether I was alone in that.

I'm in

A very very good bundle up on Groupes

https://groupees.com/humanoids

Hope you enjoy it, looking forward to reading what you make of it.

Link to the Comixology Grendel product page:

https://m.comixology.co.uk/Grendel/comics-series/8758

The 4 'graphic novels' are actually the main omnibuses I'm talking about. Currently all on sale - less than 5 quid for a 500+ page omnibus is quite a good deal :). The Grendel Tales stuff is best saved for after the fourth Omnibus, Grendel Prime.

Posted this in Film & TV: the cast list has been announced for Dirk Maggs' audio adaptation of Sandman. (He's produced radio plays of DC comics before; in the early '90s he did radio versions of The Death of Superman and Batman: Knightfall.)

UZzqnV3.png

Some surprising names there... but ones that I think will fit well!

Is this the first time John Constantine has been played by someone actually from Merseyside? :o

Anyone who's read Dream Country will be able to guess which character Kim Newman will probably be playing!

3 hours ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

Now I really hope you will like it, or else I'm going to feel guilty.:ph34r: I thought you'd start with one! Happy readings :)

I'm a few issues into the first volume and I really like it. So far every issue has been a completely different style and I really like that. It's also being deliberately vague about Grendel and what his aims are. I get the impression he's a kind of Batman figure of sorts but this is also thrown off by the second issue with the mob lawyer. Definitely going to take my time with it. It seems like a comic that's worth savouring.

Glad you're enjoying it! Note that only the first omnibus collects a bunch of short stories, the other three collect various story arcs that last anywhere from 2 to 12 issues worth of page count. In those, the style or story telling technique can vary drastically from one story arc to the next, but it stays the same within that arc. But apart from that you're never going to believe just how far the writer takes this Grendel concept from its original NY crime noir roots after the first omnibus, it's really quite something.

5 minutes ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

Glad you're enjoying it! Note that only the first omnibus collects a bunch of short stories, the other three collect various story arcs that last anywhere from 2 to 12 issues worth of page count. In those, the style or story telling technique can vary drastically from one story arc to the next, but it stays the same within that arc. But apart from that you're never going to believe just how far the writer takes this Grendel concept from its original NY crime noir roots after the first omnibus, it's really quite something.

I read a little bit of the wiki so I saw that coming. I've read enough now that I bought the extra tales collections. If I didn't now while they're on sale I'd only regret it later. The art also pops like a motherfucker on my ipad.

The Sandman TV thread made me want to reread it and having a look on ComiXology, I discovered Overture, which I had no idea even existed. It’s on sale for under a fiver too, so I’m looking forward to getting stuck into that.

I’m thinking about trying to fiddle around and see if I can get a ComiXology Unlimited sub. Has anyone had any luck trying to do this outside the US?

Bit slow getting in on the Grendel chat, but a lot of love here for the War Child arc.

My first exposure to it as a pre-Teen was via a Dark Horse anthology mag from my local newsagents  - typical for back then, it got cancelled before the story ended (same as Toxic which introduced me to loads of Pat Mills, Kevin O'Neil and Alan Grant stories that have stayed with me; Marshall Law, The Dinnerladies from Hell,  Psychokiller, Detritus Rex, Accident Man etc).

Anyway, asked my mum as she was going on a big shopping trip to Cardiff, to see if she could get a copy of the TPB from Forbidden Planet. Was gobmsacked when she actually came back with it (that almost never happened back in the day).

Read it cover to cover countless times and still love it to this day - it's got the right blend of sci-fi and horror for me (no spoilers here if Flub's going to read it). Didn't even know it was part of a wider universe till many years later. Because I'd started with War Child, and it felt too perfect to my brain, the previous stories just didn't grip me as much when I tried to read them a few years back and I moved on to something else.

I see that there's a new one, Grendel Odyssey released in the last few months - not sure how that's turned out but will have to see if I can pick up the trade at some point (as it looks to be simialr to War Child going by the art alone).

I excitedly bought the first issue of Devil's Odyssey but then decided to wait for the trade. Like you, I'm a big fan of War Child ( @Flub that's omnibus 4 so you'll have to be patient!) and it was my first exposure to Grendel back in the nineties. But when I went back to earlier tales, I liked those even more or just as much to be honest. I see it as a fantastic, totally crazy whole.

Re-reading from omnibus 1 onwards I was really impressed by Behold the Devil, the closing arc of the first omnibus. Love how it ties everything together, how deftly Wagner weaves in a few of the short stories, and how much satisfying closure it gives the reader to the tale of Hunter.

The Spar arc (trying to avoid spoilers here btw) was even more enjoyable than I remembered it, as was Devil Inside, but I fucking love Devil Tales during my current re-read - that's where I'm at right now. Drawn by Wagner himself, I love the completely different but awesome style of small sequential panels to tell the story. It flows extremely well, and has some great moments when he sometimes purposefully breaks out of those boxes. Cartoonist master class right there.

I remember reading most or everything from volumes 1, 2, and 4 back in the day. But I think volume 3 is completely new to me. I look forward to seeing how Wagner gets from the still very much down to earth setting of Devil Tales to the epic, cinematic start of War Child :D It's amazing that it's still the same story, Wagner really does use Grendel to experiment not just with story telling techniques, but also with whatever genre or theme catches his fancy. I love it.

In other news!

PAD, aka Peter David, seems to be hot shit du jour in here thanks to the popularity of Immortal Hulk getting people to either go back to his epic Hulk run or discovering it for the first time. Also thanks in no small part to the recent fat Omnibus release of his run. Well, there's excellent news!

https://www.newsarama.com/50212-david-keown-return-to-hulk-for-maestro-origin-story.html

Fan-favorite Hulk creators Peter David and Dale Keown will unite with artist German Peralta in August for Maestro, a new series exploring the origins of the villain who debuted in David's Hulk: Future Imperfect in 1992.

The series of unspecified length will explore the story of how Bruce Banner/Hulk went from the version of the character most folks know to the hyper-evolved, villainous Maestro in an alternate future.

“I had no idea that when I first created the Maestro for Future Imperfect, that he would have the kind of popularity and staying power he has now,” David stated in the series announcement. “Until now, I’ve only been able to allude to his origins, so I was thrilled to have the opportunity to explore them in this series, and I can’t wait for fans to see all the artwork that's been coming in!”

Maestro #1 is due out in August.

Future Imperfect is a fantastic story by the way :) I have high hopes for this! PAD is back.

20200515_033749.thumb.jpg.7d841704c76f362167c2419b9e1d1fd4.jpg

22 hours ago, Spatial said:

Bit slow getting in on the Grendel chat, but a lot of love here for the War Child arc.

My first exposure to it as a pre-Teen was via a Dark Horse anthology mag from my local newsagents  - typical for back then, it got cancelled before the story ended (same as Toxic which introduced me to loads of Pat Mills, Kevin O'Neil and Alan Grant stories that have stayed with me; Marshall Law, The Dinnerladies from Hell,  Psychokiller, Detritus Rex, Accident Man etc).

Anyway, asked my mum as she was going on a big shopping trip to Cardiff, to see if she could get a copy of the TPB from Forbidden Planet. Was gobmsacked when she actually came back with it (that almost never happened back in the day).

Read it cover to cover countless times and still love it to this day - it's got the right blend of sci-fi and horror for me (no spoilers here if Flub's going to read it). Didn't even know it was part of a wider universe till many years later. Because I'd started with War Child, and it felt too perfect to my brain, the previous stories just didn't grip me as much when I tried to read them a few years back and I moved on to something else.

I see that there's a new one, Grendel Odyssey released in the last few months - not sure how that's turned out but will have to see if I can pick up the trade at some point (as it looks to be simialr to War Child going by the art alone).

Just had to chime in because that was almost exactly my experience with Grendel! Loved the setting in my teens, never got to finish it. Revisited it about a decade ago and finally finished it.

I used to draw Grendel, the bikes and the armour in art lessons. The only thing that bugs me is that having only got into War Child, the concept of other series being totally different conceptually didn't click with me in my younger days. One to go back to soon I think!

If  sign up to Marvel Unlimited for a year on their website that allows me to log-in on multiple devices, doesn't it?

I accidentally let the free trial roll over via Itunes for a month which only seems to recognise me as  subscriber on my iphone.

I've been reading Astonishing X-Men. The Joss Whedon run I'd read multiple times but most of the stuff after that appears to have passed me by. The Warren Ellis run following Whedon was a high point for me and I'd rate it higher than Whedon. Both writers really nailed the Hisako (Armor) and Wolverine relationship. It's a shame she's not still in a core X-Men team. The runs after that have been mixed. Some good, some average.

I do like what Hickman is doing with the characters at the moment. I just hope it proves lasting. Shame the pandemic has derailed it for now.