rllmuk
biglime

The Watchtower - A thread for all comics

On 19/03/2020 at 17:50, womblingfree said:

Rebellion have released 400 pages of Judge Dredd Case Files for free in response to people isolating.

Zarjaz as fuck.

https://2000ad.com/news/free-to-download-400-pages-of-epic-judge-dredd/

I just downloaded this collection, skimmed through it and saw that it contains...

Spoiler

the famous GAZE INTO THE FIST OF DREDD panel!

:omg:

• Upvote 4

19 minutes ago, Nick R said:

I just downloaded this collection, skimmed through it and saw that it contains...

Hide contents

the famous GAZE INTO THE FIST OF DREDD panel!

:omg:

im there!

That's the hilarious part - the writer is the guy who did a good recent Loki series and by most accounts is pretty clued up and sympathetic to marginalised people. I can only assume he's either gone mad or aiming for some kind of X-Statix style meta satire.

• Empathy 1

Looks like this Wednesday's Immortal Hulk will be the last for a long while :( In fact, no more new (American) comics at all for the foreseeable, assuming they also halt digital sales. I'm selfishly hoping they continue with digital because fuck man I want escapism right now.

edit: to clarify, Diamond is the sole distributor for Marvel, DC, Dark Horse, Image, and others. So basically all the major players are hit.

• Upvote 1

RIP Albert Uderzo

Albert Uderzo, the co-creator of the Asterix comics series, has died. He was 92-years-old. The artist's family announced that the French artist died at home from a heart attack. "He died in his sleep at his home in Neuilly from a heart attack unrelated to the coronavirus. He had been very tired for several weeks,” his son-in-law Bernard de Choisy told French news agency AFP. Uderzo's creation, the stout Gaulish warrior Asterix, is an icon in French popular culture. In addition to the more than 370 million comic book volumes sold worldwide, Asterix has starred in 11 films and headlines his own theme park, along with his invincible friend Obelix and dog Dogmatix.

Asterix debuted in the French magazine Pilote in 1959. Uderzo co-created the series with writer René Goscinny. Two years later, they launched the first standalone adventure of Asterix, Asterix the Gaul. They continued to collaborate on the series, seeing it translated into more than 100 languages until Goscinny's death in 1977. Uderzo then became the sole writer and artist of Asterix until he retired in 2009 and sold the rights to the series to publisher Hachette.

(Photo: Chesnot/Getty Images)

Parc Asterix, the theme park based on series located outside of Paris, opened in 1989. It has seen 50 million visitors since then.

Asterix stories focus on the titular hero, who is living Roman-occupied Gaul in 50 BC. With the help of a magic potion that gives him superhuman strength, Asterix harasses the Roman guards and protects his home — the one holdout against the Roman occupation — from the efforts of the Roman occupying force.

The series celebrated 60 years of adventures last year. Publisher Papercutz announced that it would take over the franchise's publishing rights in the United States, with plans to reprint Asterix's adventures in new collections and to release new non-fiction works examining the series' history.

As a pillar of Franco-Belgian comics, also known as bande dessinée, Uderzo earned the respect and admiration of comic book writers and artists around the world. Mark Millar, the Scottish writer of Marvel's Civil War and creator of Kingsman, Wanted, and Kick-Ass, tweeted about Uderzo after learning of the artist's death. He writes, "RIP Albert Uderzo, my gateway drug to beautiful European comics... The Master!

Brazillian artist Rafael Albuquerque, co-creator of American Vampire, also tweeted about Uderzo, saying "Sad to hear about the passing of master Albert Uderzo. Believe it or not, one of my biggest influences in comics. Asterix was the first comic i’ve read, from my aunt’s bookshelf. With him I learnt about expression more than anyone. Merci maître!"

• Empathy 5

2 hours ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

Looks like this Wednesday's Immortal Hulk will be the last for a long while :( In fact, no more new (American) comics at all for the foreseeable, assuming they also halt digital sales. I'm selfishly hoping they continue with digital because fuck man I want escapism right now.

edit: to clarify, Diamond is the sole distributor for Marvel, DC, Dark Horse, Image, and others. So basically all the major players are hit.

I've been seeing a bit about associations and retailers asking the comic companies not to throw them under the proverbial bus when it comes to going only digital. I get it but I can't imagine even Marvel or DC could sustain an extended shut down with no content coming out, so that's surely going to have to make it a necessity at some point to keep things turning over?

And Comixology themselves needs to keep releasing in order to stay afloat (as I can't imagine Amazon being too happy if their margins started to dip). So then it starts to look like a question of who goes under the wheels of the bus first...

Then again you'd think now would be an fantastic time for an epic Comixology sale given people need stuff to do and read, but they don't seem bothered.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Spatial said:

I've been seeing a bit about associations and retailers asking the comic companies not to throw them under the proverbial bus when it comes to going only digital. I get it but I can't imagine even Marvel or DC could sustain an extended shut down with no content coming out, so that's surely going to have to make it a necessity at some point to keep things turning over?

And Comixology themselves needs to keep releasing in order to stay afloat (as I can't imagine Amazon being too happy if their margins started to dip). So then it starts to look like a question of who goes under the wheels of the bus first...

Then again you'd think now would be an fantastic time for an epic Comixology sale given people need stuff to do and read, but they don't seem bothered.

I thought the latter too but just look at what Amazon are doing bumping up the prices on anything you can do during isolation!

You would have thought comixology may have done some of the same stuff 2000AD have etc but it's crisis (snigger) that show people for being the greedy cunts they are!!!

Sorry i stand corrected!

https://www.comixology.co.uk/comics-sale

Why the fuck the Star Wars sale is in French is beyond me and annoying as the girlfriend's little one is Star Wars mad right now.

Some BPRD & Hellboy stuff in the Dark Horse Sale :O

https://www.comixology.co.uk/comics-sale?list_id=33863&33863_pg=5 - BPRD

https://www.comixology.co.uk/comics-sale?list_id=33863&33863_pg=22&cu=0 - HELLBOY

Harrow County :D

https://www.comixology.co.uk/comics-sale?list_id=33863&33863_pg=21&cu=0

He-Man Mini Comics (these are good for any nostalgia)

https://www.comixology.co.uk/comics-sale?list_id=33863&33863_pg=22&cu=0

2 hours ago, Arn Ironjaw said:

OMG the last page of I Hulk 33 :O

Yes and not just the last page! I really think Ewing is surpassing Peter David for me now. This was absolutely fantastic, what a read.

LSH is getting better with every issue. Braniac 5 has had a personality change with this reboot. He's a really nice guy now who loves his friends. And it suits him really, really well not being a dick.

ZTdaPjT.jpg

Art is lovely too. Can't wait to see it on my 12.9 incher when it arrives

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

Yes and not just the last page! I really think Ewing is surpassing Peter David for me now. This was absolutely fantastic, what a read.

How about dat Dario Agger spread though? I may never sleep again.

9 hours ago, Joystick Chevron said:

How about dat Dario Agger spread though? I may never sleep again.

Yes! Too many incredible moments. Spoiler list of my favourite moments for issue 33 / 750:

Spoiler

-the opening double splash page. Holy shit.

-the transformation with savage Hulk literally bursting out. Horrific. Excellent callback to PAD's run

-Agger getting eaten and the horrific results. Jesus Christ.

-the quadruple spread of Hulk and co smashing Roxxon. Bennett firing on all cylinders.

-the twist ending, another fantastic callback to PAD and one that I should have seen coming. I was talking to another longtime Hulk reader and he had the exact same reaction

Also: throughout this entire run Ewing has made excellent use of guest artists and this issue was no different with the mindscape stuff.

Never read one myself, but they get generally get decent reviews... there's a good deal on James Bond comics over at Humble Bundle.

3 hours ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

Yes! Too many incredible moments. Spoiler list of my favourite moments for issue 33 / 750:

Hide contents

-the transformation with savage Hulk literally bursting out. Horrific. Excellent callback to PAD's run

-the quadruple spread of Hulk and co smashing Roxxon. Bennett firing on all cylinders.

-the twist ending, another fantastic callback to PAD and one that I should have seen coming. I was talking to another longtime Hulk reader and he had the exact same reaction

Also: throughout this entire run Ewing has made excellent use of guest artists and this issue was no different with the mindscape stuff.

I think for me i don't get all the references you guys do, I still appreciate it at face value.

The artwork has been stunning throughout the run, and if it wasn't for how enthusiastic @Mr. Gerbik and the rest of you guys are about the title i may have given up on it ages ago.

@Mr. Gerbik Have you ever thought of doing one of those Wordpress blogs for all the references? It would be very popular especially since you are so knowledgable. 

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Arn Ironjaw said:

I think for me i don't get all the references you guys do, I still appreciate it at face value.

The artwork has been stunning throughout the run, and if it wasn't for how enthusiastic @Mr. Gerbik and the rest of you guys are about the title i may have given up on it ages ago.

@Mr. Gerbik Have you ever thought of doing one of those Wordpress blogs for all the references? It would be very popular especially since you are so knowledgable. 

Thanks for the compliment, but compared to the REAL nerds on comicboards and comic book Reddit, I barely know anything :lol: Probably a lot of references that I'm missing too! But the series works just as well without catching those references.

I will post about the obvious references here when I have the time later today. :)

3 hours ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

Reveal hidden contents

I just loved that a certain plot point can be easily summed up by:

Spoiler

"I never thought the mind-bending alien nightmare factory from outer space would eat MY face" says hyper-capitalist scumbag who unleashed mind-bending alien nightmare factory from outer space.

• Upvote 2

So guys. I used to think my 11 inch iPad Pro was amazing for reading comics. Today my 2020 12.9 inch model arrived. Holy shit. This thing is severely impressive.

Incredibly expensive overkill yes. The single best way to read digital comics currently available? Definitely.

Lockdown just got 100% more comic.

• Upvote 2

I'm trying different comics on the new iPad and I'm reminded that some people probably haven't read Nextwave. You should fix that

ADB7307E-CFC8-4CDB-A92D-7818E287D213.png

• Upvote 7

1 hour ago, Flub said:

So guys. I used to think my 11 inch iPad Pro was amazing for reading comics. Today my 2020 12.9 inch model arrived. Holy shit. This thing is severely impressive.

Incredibly expensive overkill yes. The single best way to read digital comics currently available? Definitely.

Lockdown just got 100% more comic.

This is a real well timed post for me to throw out a question - I'm going to use the time to catch up on the vast backlog of stuff I have to read, but I'm finding my 10 inch Samsung tablet is just annoying me now when it comes to double pages.

I'm thinking of getting something 12 inch - is the difference definitely worth it?

Anyone have any recommendations that aren't Apple based?

Double page spreads in portrait on my eleven inch were hard for me to read with my shit eyes. On three new one is much much better

9082867F-6BD4-47B4-80A4-FFD089FC9319.jpeg

• Upvote 1

I can't describe how glorious this looks in person. My 11 inch has an amazing screen but this one appears to pop even more.

C2WLay6.jpg

I’ve been side-tracked from my straight Hickman read-through by Infinity. Not really enjoying it much. The core Hickman stuff is mostly decent, but if you diverge from that it’s a garbled mess tonally and the quality of the art and storytelling is all over the place. Having said that a couple of the adjacent spin offs by other people have actually explained what the fuck is going on occasion. I’ll mostly stick to the Hickman stuff from now on.

I read through Annihilation and it’s spin-offs a few years ago and it seemed a lot better integrated. The end was bobbins though.

Coincidentally I just finished Annihilation. Bought the lot during a sale because I always read positive things about it. And I thought it was pretty bad, exactly because it's so badly integrated.

It started off with a really terrible Drax miniseries. Not only bad, but completely superfluous - the only thing it tells you is that Drax can now talk, looks like a bad 90s Image grimdark character, and has a really annoying teenage sidekick. If you skip it and start reading the saga proper, all of this information is immediately apparent from simply looking at the first panel that Drax shows up in in his biker pants and with a teenage sidekick.

Also, even more damning: the entire story of that Drax 4 issue series could and SHOULD have been told in 1 issue tops. There's simply not enough of a story for more. But, they're writing for the trade and the powers that be had already decided that every part of Annihilation would be 4 issues.

The subsequent Nova an Annihilation main series were decent though. Fun. Nothing special, it's all very predictable, but it's fun.

Just as I'm starting to get into it, the fucking Super Skrull miniseries crash-lands into the saga. Bloody hell, it's like 10 year old fan fiction level bad. Tried reading it but didn't even make it to the end of the first issue. Had to skip, but as it turned out it really didn't add anything that I couldn't surmise from simply reading the subsequent main series.

Then in drops the Ronan miniseries jesus fucking christ. Not quite as bad as the Super Skrull series, but man - a character that works as a villain doesn't necessarily work as a main character. Especially if there's zero depth and actual character to that character. Ronan is incredibly one dimensional, a real challenge for any writer. This writer failed miserably and from the looks of it didn't even try.

Skipped through to the end, reading it superficially, and it was fine. Thanos was written really bad, but he's a difficult character to get right if you're not  Starlin. He didn't sound or act like the mad titan we know. 

Then an epilogue about what all the heralds did afterwards. "Terrax became an  employee at S-mart and AXED the prices" or somesuch. Literally nothing interesting happens in the interminable epilogue and the actual ending would have been a way better ending. Just like the actual beginning would have been a way better beginning.

Thinking about it, dropping all the low quality superfluous stuff would have meant everything would fit in one trade instead of two. Hmmm

To summarize: all the tie-in stuff often sucks. If there's a good main series, I often enjoy just sticking to that and ignoring the superfluous rest 

In regards to that Hickman run: when I read it, I simply read all the Hickman stuff. Not out of principle, I simply didn't think of looking up a reading order. I just started with his Fantastic Four/FF stuff, then read Avengers, and finally Secret Wars. Loved it. I didn't ever feel like I was missing something. It worked as a satisfying, complete story. I'm sure there are details that I didn't notice, but you really really really do not need to know everything about a setting or character to enjoy a story. In fact, less is often more.

On 27/03/2020 at 21:15, Mr Combo Breaker said:

O_O

I had the exact same reaction :blink:

Looking forward to the next Ennis Punisher series! The editorial at the end of that issue confirmed he's already working on the next story.