rllmuk
biglime

The Watchtower - A thread for all comics

3 hours ago, womblingfree said:

Do Marvel hardbacks come with digital download codes?

Really tempted by the House of X/Power of X book, but I’d prefer to actually read it on an iPad.

No they don’t.

I have to admit I prefer reading on my iPad Pro, but I still buy plenty of physical books as they just look so pretty in my bookcases.

• Upvote 1

Thanks Charliemouse. I seem to remember Marvel used to put digital codes in most of their books but they stopped. I even checked with Marvel’s customer service about the House/Power of X hardback and they confirmed there was no code.

Oh well, next ComiXology sale it is then.

2 hours ago, Mr Combo Breaker said:

DEECB14C-2D7D-47FE-B04D-ABD094DB63E3.jpeg.8f905d40262c4cf69dfb03933bde0b4e.jpeg

Some charitable bloke LOVED shitty marvel books, I gave up after the first box :lol:

See i'd be going through all that trying to find an odd little gem. 

That was the plan but the first box was pretty much all Wolverine and Bendis books and I was all like Fuck This

Plus half of them were upside down/back to front and it was just exhausting

I read the first six issues of Locke and Key last night. I liked it. Joe Hill has a knack for characters like his father, and the set up is quite intriguing. I want to know what's going on with the house and the keys, and what's the deal with the "echo" in the well (not in the well any more, but you know what I mean). 

Not so keen on the art though. The style to me seems more in keeping with a zany, knockabout comedy series, so seeing it depicting quite dark subject matter seems jarring to me. Does the series retain the same artist all the way through, or do different artists draw different story arcs?

I'm looking forward to continuing it tonight.

30 minutes ago, dug said:

I read the first six issues of Locke and Key last night. I liked it. Joe Hill has a knack for characters like his father, and the set up is quite intriguing. I want to know what's going on with the house and the keys, and what's the deal with the "echo" in the well (not in the well any more, but you know what I mean). 

Not so keen on the art though. The style to me seems more in keeping with a zany, knockabout comedy series, so seeing it depicting quite dark subject matter seems jarring to me. Does the series retain the same artist all the way through, or do different artists draw different story arcs?

I'm looking forward to continuing it tonight.

I personally feel, if the art wasn’t so cartoony the series would have never been published, all the blood and gore would have been too much, if the art has been drawn in a more realistic style.

I'll also add that stick with it because Rodriguez's art just gets better every book. 

The detail in later issues is just wow. 

On 10/03/2020 at 08:32, dug said:

Not so keen on the art though.

Wow, I think the artist is incredible. I'm in awe of every single panel he draws.

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, Ste Pickford said:

Wow, I think the artist is incredible. I'm in awe of every single panel he draws.

Totally agree but it's art and as always subjective. 

Wow this week's Incredible Hulk was the usual grade A masterpiece, and i could actually understand it this week LOL-EMOJI

I love the fact that it is steeped in popular culture. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Mr Combo Breaker said:

Comixology prices might drop a wee bit if you can wait until fucking december, VAT is being removed for digital books.

Fucking December, and the big joke here is the fact that Amazon keep dodging paying Tax and the ilk. 

I ain't buying a damn thing from them until then/or a sale, and even then I may not bother because fuck their money grab, 1:1 pound/dollar shitshow on general principle.

Re: Immortal Hulk #32

Holy Christ

Spoiler

image.png.f34e1c0d1758128f34e5ef0f7c13dfee.png

:blink:

• Upvote 3

Comixology prices aren't quite as bad as last week looked. It looked like all new releases last week went up by £2 to a fiver, but new releases today are mostly £3.99 now.

Did I just read it wrong last week?

4 minutes ago, AK Bell said:

Comixology prices aren't quite as bad as last week looked. It looked like all new releases last week went up by £2 to a fiver, but new releases today are mostly £3.99 now.

Did I just read it wrong last week?

With all the articles over the net id say you got it right, maybe they are seeing the light. 

Other than my subscriptions i haven't tried any of the new titles on their out of principle. 

It's a shame as i wanted to try Cable and a couple of others. 

I do wonder if there is a massive drop off with people not reading some much on there if they may get their shit together. 

8 hours ago, Arn Ironjaw said:

Wow this week's Incredible Hulk was the usual grade A masterpiece, and i could actually understand it this week LOL-EMOJI

I love the fact that it is steeped in popular culture. 

Glad I could help and yeah that's also one of the many things I love about it. It's not just a horror comic, it draws inspiration from a tremendous amount of sources. And somehow Ewing is able to weave all those elements, ranging from superheroics to sci-fi to horror to popular culture, into one coherent and brilliant whole.

6 hours ago, Joystick Chevron said:

Re: Immortal Hulk #32

Holy Christ

Reveal hidden contents

image.png.f34e1c0d1758128f34e5ef0f7c13dfee.png

:blink:

Exactly my reaction! Bennett is at the top of his game, that's a terrific and horrific image - we'll never look at Xemnu the same way again

6 hours ago, Scruff said:

@Mr. Gerbik 's house when he saw the last page of Immortal Hulk #32.

1486711963597.gif

Oh god yes :D "Remember?" - goosebumps.

• Upvote 1

Good article on Immortal Hulk and its creative successes (spoilers up until and including current issue 32, so avoid until you're up to date):

Link

Immortal Hulk is the unstoppable ruler of superhero comics

How writer Al Ewing and a team of artists empowered a world-breaker

Since 2018, Immortal Hulk, written by Al Ewing with art by Joe Bennett, inker Ruy José, colorist Paul Mounts, and letterer Cory Petit, has been the most consistent, surprising, and satisfying superhero comic released by any major publisher. Together, building off the character’s nearly 60-year history, the creative team has established Hulk as the ultimate hero for a bleak age defined by environmental collapse and institutional corruption.

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

Good article on Immortal Hulk and its creative successes (spoilers up until and including current issue 32, so avoid until you're up to date):

Link

Thank you for that, one of the best comics articles ive read in ages. 

Also made me look at a few points differently. 

If anyone collects the massive Adamantium size collections, there’s a new copy of the Wolverine one going for about eighty-quid delivered at the moment on Amazon UK.

Usually goes for well over a hundred quid, and the next cheapest on Amazon is over £300.

Wolverine: The Adamantium Collection https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/0785167897/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_X45BEbAPANGES

The download code won’t work anymore, but it’s a beautiful book.

• Upvote 2

I’ve hit Thanos Rising on my Hickman reading list in between Avengers and New Avengers, which is weird as it’s not by him.

Grange Hill, the Thanos Years, is wearing a little thin. As was the horned yellow spandex alien that terraformed Mars in Avengers.

Hickman’s Avengers definitely has its moments, loved Smasher’s story, but as a whole its no FF or House/Power of X. Not yet at least.

The bulk of the story is in New Avengers. I don't think Avengers is even relevant until Infinity, then both books start tying together after that. 

• Upvote 1

The thing with those reading order lists is that they often feel like they're compiled by the real-life equivalent of the comic book guy from the Simpsons. To be as accurate and as complete as possible they include a buttload of completely unnecessary filler. Like, because Johnny makes a joke in some random panel during the Hickman run about the Thing farting that one time in front of She-Hulk, they'll include the otherwise completely unrelated She-Hulk issue in which said fart happens in the list, including the issues of She-Hulk leading up to that moment. So halfway through an otherwise entertaining Hickman run you're suddenly reading 10 subpar She-Hulk issues just to place the fart in its chronologically correct position in the timeline and give the fart joke its excruciatingly detailed correct context.

• Upvote 5