rllmuk
biglime

The Watchtower - A thread for all comics

7 minutes ago, AK Bell said:

He's in charge of the writing of the movies and TV stuff, right? Doubt he wants to go back to Marvel Comics wages.

His name is on pretty much all the DCTVU stuff as is David Goyer these days too.

Geoff Johns has a similar story as Hickman if i remember rightly? Fanboy turned comics writer turned to goto guy for the company.

I've had few problems with Marvel Unlimited. It used to be pretty painful at times, quite often logging me out. But I've been using it regularly over the last few months, and it's worked really well.

So gutted the man responsible for Before Watchmen, killing Vertigo and protecting Eddie Berganza’s right to diddle for years and years and years is gone :lol:

• Upvote 3

To be fair, I'm not sure we can hold Didio personally responsible for the Vertigo thing. The roots of it go back a while and are more to do with those above his position - the version I heard was that some of the WB/corporate types questioned why many of the successful original Vertigo books weren't in production for film/television, and were incredulous when it was explained that the various creators had equal say (and way fairer royalties/profit rights) when it came to giving the green light. Soon after, the generous conditions Paul Levitz had put in place back in the day for were revised for new creations (unfavourably, naturally), a lot of creators understandably said "well, bye then!" and took their new ideas to Image or the other indies instead. From there it was a slow decline and death as Karen Berger and Shelly Bond got pushed out and the line dried up.

Kieron Gillen wrote an eye-opening blog piece a couple of years back about sales figures. Basically, he got a better return on just modest sales of creator-owned stuff published by Image or whoever than selling more WFH stuff for DC/Marvel. 10k is fine; 12k is cause to celebrate, and pays more than DC/Marvel unless you're a big name or lucky enough to be on a hugely popular book; 20k and the Milky Bars are on you.

Jeph Loeb really did write some terrible comics for Marvel, I have just given up reading his Hulk run as it was utter shite, moved onto Bruce Jones‘s Hulk now and that’s so much better.

Welp, X-Men #7 was both a great issue addressing a lot of the recent questions the new era has raised, and also creepy as hell. Particularly the way Wanda's treated as the hated boogeyman of a horror story to tell kids before bedtime, and how Apocalypse has seemingly ensured every single one of the depowered has to gladiator him for approval to be made whole again. Like, it's a very Apocalypse thing to do (and I'm still finding him far and away the most fascinating character in any book he pops up in right now) but Christ, it systemic of how messed up things are on that island.

• Upvote 1

yeah, mutant Israel is mental, I’m kinda surprised Marvel editorial are cool with it

Giant Sized Jean Grey and Emma Frost was okay, obviously heavily inspired by that silent issue in Morrison's New X-men but I liked the art. and the lions

2 hours ago, Mr Combo Breaker said:

Giant Sized Jean Grey and Emma Frost was okay, obviously heavily inspired by that silent issue in Morrison's New X-men but I liked the art. and the lions

Anything important in it? The series screams wait for the cheaper collection.

9 minutes ago, AK Bell said:

Anything important in it? The series screams wait for the cheaper collection.

nah

In other news Crunchyroll is making a Freakangels cartoon. With the right snarky English voice actors it should be great.

4 hours ago, Mr Combo Breaker said:

yeah, mutant Israel is mental, I’m kinda surprised Marvel editorial are cool with it

Mental as well as metal - if I were someone like Glob or Eyeboy, I’d totally be up for trying to stab Apocalypse in the nutsack in Thunderdome for a chance to be reborn normal with Wolverine’s power set instead.

The x-books on the whole have been great except for that shite Psylocke one and Excalibur.

Struggling to find a copy of New Mutants locally so may dump mine on eBay and go comixology route.

X-Force has been strong but kind of bored by it being Domino centric.

The best silent story for me outside of Snake-Eyes 21 will be that one page in the X-Men Christmas Special with Glob so so powerful. 

1 hour ago, The Eagle Lord said:

that shite Psylocke one

It didn't even go anywhere!!! There was no point to it. Who the fuck cares?

I was giving all the books up to issue 6 anyway. Exactly where Excalibur died for me.

New Mutants is pissing me off. Half the issues are fun space adventures with the cool club, half of them...aren't. And I keep automatically buying it without looking which one it is this week.

I agree that X-Force started well, I was expecting the core plot to skip between that and the main book, but it's stalled. Get back to Beast losing his ethics. 

Still not sure on Marauders either. It's getting too twisty turny and it doesn't seem to be going anywhere.

I'd just read X-Men but each book is so wild and one-off you kind of need the other books to keep track and keep your sanity.

5 hours ago, The Eagle Lord said:

They are really lovely, have you read the series is it worth getting?

Nope, not yet, just thought I’d take a punt and have them framed if it’s bollocks. The run’s still going and on #7 of 12 I think. It’s reviewing pretty well but I’ll get reading and let you know.

Is that available and has that ever been on sale digitally? Reading Locke and Key after The Boys on my iPad and converted to this as a medium now.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, DC said:

Is that available and has that ever been on sale digitally? Reading Locke and Key after The Boys on my iPad and converted to this as a medium now.

It's available on Comixology!

Some X-Men title news coming out of the con this week!

spacer.png

X-Men writer Jonathan Hickman and Excalibur writer Tini Howard will head up X of Swords, with other writers from the 'Dawn of X' line also contributing.

The title X of Swords, which Hickman said had been coined by Howard,  may also hint at the story's themes. Beyond the obvious connection to ten mutants wielding ten swords, the title, pronounced "Ten of Swords", may refer to the 'Ten of Swords' Tarot card - which, in the parlance of Tarot fortune telling, indicates abject disaster and ruin. And of course, when read literally, "X of Swords" resembles the expression "crossing swords" - a literal clash of blades.

X of Swords begins in July

Now some of those blades are already established such as Captain (Psylocke) Britain's Excalibur, Rachel Summers big Phoenix Blade, Wolverine's Masume Blade (which i thought was melted down into his sons claws), Magiks big magik demon sword & most recently Domino's plant arm blade.

Seems a little silly with all their mutant gifts to resort to feudal warfare but ive been loving most of the X-Books recently so color me intrigued. 

Finished my Transmet reread today and it's held up as well as ever. The only problem with it is that despite how forward looking it is in a lot of ways it still couldn't even begin to predict a president breaking the norms as much as Trump does. The days of the media holding a president to account appear to be long over :(

I've moved onto my second ever read of Sandman. I remember really enjoying it the first time around. I'm up to the second volume and it's as good as I remember it.

• Upvote 2

Is that Adam X? I thought it was Eye-Boy, hence the creepy eyes on the sword. Looking at that pic, I am digging:

* Doug with a transmode lightsabre

* Betsy's psychic Excalibur

* Storm's lightning blade

* Scott's lightsabre/optic blast punch dimension sabre

* Kurt's boss rapier

* Illyana going back to the old school Soulsword instead of that dumbass FF buster sword monstrosity of the last few years

* Apocalypse going for some ridiculous MMO style thing the size of a car side panel

In short: Swords are great.

On 09/01/2020 at 09:38, Mr Combo Breaker said:

I've found myself buying singles and then pirating them on my ipad on the bus to try and clear the backlog. Best of no worlds at all :seanr: 

thanks Comixology :lol: 

On 02/03/2020 at 13:18, Joystick Chevron said:

Is that Adam X? I thought it was Eye-Boy, hence the creepy eyes on the sword. Looking at that pic, I am digging:

In short: Swords are great.

Your eye-sight is far better than mine then (see what i did there?)

I think you maybe right. 

I thought with the hat and what i thought were stripes down the face etc.

Think ill write to Marvel and make sure hes made it ok to Krakoa

I started a conversation about it on ComicsERA. Looks like it's not just the UK. They've done it Europewide. Most stuff is actually cheaper to buy paper copies of now.

• Empathy 1

In more positive comics-related news from an Amazon-owned company:

• Upvote 2

Do Marvel hardbacks come with digital download codes?

Really tempted by the House of X/Power of X book, but I’d prefer to actually read it on an iPad.

Edit: No they don’t, at least House of X/Power of X doesn’t.