Jump to content
rllmuk
biglime

The Watchtower - A thread for all comics

Recommended Posts

26 minutes ago, The Eagle Lord said:

How good was that Spider-Hulk comic this week. 

 

Damn it, I was giving it a miss. There goes more money. 

 

6 hours ago, Flub said:

 

For fucks sake. I mean don't get me wrong. I'm glad it's done. It was mostly shit and definitely outstayed its welcome but what the fuck are they thinking? Are we supposed to be psychic to read comics now?

 

You can be if you wait for the TPBs 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Finally got around to a rather mammoth reread of the Walking Dead.

 

It still manages to utterly absorb me in a way not many comics do these days. 
 

I’m glad I’m done though, as the last three nights I have been so obsessed with getting through it, it’s utterly buggered up my sleep.

 

Worth it though. One of the great comics series of the last 20-odd years for me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, JoeK said:

Finally got around to a rather mammoth reread of the Walking Dead.

 

It still manages to utterly absorb me in a way not many comics do these days. 
 

I’m glad I’m done though, as the last three nights I have been so obsessed with getting through it, it’s utterly buggered up my sleep.

 

Worth it though. One of the great comics series of the last 20-odd years for me.

I couldn’t make it through the second trade, Kirkman is one of the worst big-name writers in comics for me, his Marvel stuff in particular are some of the worst things I have ever had the misfortune to read.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've been buying the digital Omnibus editions of Walking Dead (I did have a load of the regular volumes from Humble Bundles in the past). I plan to do a complete read of the entire thing when the final omnibus comes out. I'm generally not a huge fan of the grimdark but I think the art hooks me in on Walking Dead and to be honest I've gotten this far so I might as well finish :)

 

I'm currently reading very bad Avengers comics on Marvel Unlimited.

 

*Edit*. Oooh. Final compendium is out. 25 quid on Comixology. I HAVE THEM ALL NOW

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Flub said:

I've been buying the digital Omnibus editions of Walking Dead (I did have a load of the regular volumes from Humble Bundles in the past). I plan to do a complete read of the entire thing when the final omnibus comes out. I'm generally not a huge fan of the grimdark but I think the art hooks me in on Walking Dead and to be honest I've gotten this far so I might as well finish :)

 

I'm currently reading very bad Avengers comics on Marvel Unlimited.

There’s an awful lot of bad Avengers comics, including the current run.

 

I am currently reading Bendis‘a long ass run on the title and for me it’s been pretty good so far.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Charliemouse said:

There’s an awful lot of bad Avengers comics, including the current run.

 

I am currently reading Bendis‘a long ass run on the title and for me it’s been pretty good so far.

 

The amount of bad Marvel Comics is amazing. The 90s alone will keep me busy for years. So many pouches.

 

I've been reading the run from 1998-2004 of the Avengers. Initially it was terrible stories but fantastic art by Perez. Now it's just terrible stories :) I hope DC get a comparable service over here soon. I absolutely love the terrible silver age DC stuff from the 60s.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Flub said:

 

The amount of bad Marvel Comics is amazing. The 90s alone will keep me busy for years. So many pouches.

 

I've been reading the run from 1998-2004 of the Avengers. Initially it was terrible stories but fantastic art by Perez. Now it's just terrible stories :) I hope DC get a comparable service over here soon. I absolutely love the terrible silver age DC stuff from the 60s.

90s Marvel is so bad it ends up becoming awesome.  I have the first 20 issues of X-Force to read soon, I can’t wait to have to rotate the books constantly to read all the vertical splash pages that were all the rage during this time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Am I the only one reading the new 'He-Man and the Masters Of The Multiverse' comics? Exactly what you'd expect from such an obvious cash-in but some nice fan service. 2020 is going to be the year of He-Man! 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 07/02/2020 at 17:05, Butters said:

Has anyone read 'Berserker Unbound' by Jeff Lemire and Mike Deodato?

 

it was okay, there's a weird gradient or filter or something on top of Deodato's art that I'm not a huge fan of but the story was fun enough.

 

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Volume 5 of Komi can't Communicate came out yesterday and it was a nice sweet issue. The school was having their festival and the class had to vote on what kind of event their class was going to do. Komi surprisingly voted for Maid Cafe and ended up with her friends getting her a nice demure outfit with a long skirt. A sweet wholesome episode with a brief interlude where one of her female classmates was desperately trying to see Komi's underwear (for reasons unknown). (Spoiler. She didn't manage it because it isn't that sort of manga. Komi remained completely oblivious to the attempts).

 

https://www.comixology.co.uk/Komi-Cant-Communicate-Vol-5/digital-comic/839124

 

I just love the way her eyes are drawn

4c1fb45e272f22ef089ddf8f7eb5302d._SX1280694bc8019e8e1a0d99d0bdfe63483b9b._SX1280

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, wev said:

@Flub isn't that Manga?

 

Manga is allowed in here. I decided that since nobody seems interested in the sort of manga I read in the manga thread.

 

  • Upvote 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, moosegrinder said:

Oi, you. Yes YOU. Read Locke and Key? No? They're on sale on Comixology. Crack on.

 

Thanks for pointing this out. I've never read it, so this is perfect for me.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, dug said:

 

Thanks for pointing this out. I've never read it, so this is perfect for me.

 

You will love it!

 

My mother has borrowed my first volume after watching the Netflix show. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Still ploughing through Hickman’s Marvel, all 260 odd issues ending with Secret Wars.

 

Read the Fantastic Four stuff first, which was brilliant, but now reading all the Secret Warrior and S.H.I.E.L.D. stuff separate from that instead of in conjunction. Still enjoyable but not quite as in-tune as I’d like.

 

Never mind. After the current wave of Secret Warriors and S.H.I.E.L.D. it’s straight past the FF and onto the Avengers stuff.

 

They really should put it all into giant volumes. As a collective of work it’s up there with Cerebus or Alan Moore’s Swamp Thing in its breadth. Even more ambitious when you consider he’s juggling and intertwining multiple titles over years and years.

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, womblingfree said:

Still ploughing through Hickman’s Marvel, all 260 odd issues ending with Secret Wars.

 

Read the Fantastic Four stuff first, which was brilliant, but now reading all the Secret Warrior and S.H.I.E.L.D. stuff separate from that instead of in conjunction. Still enjoyable but not quite as in-tune as I’d like.

 

Never mind. After the current wave of Secret Warriors and S.H.I.E.L.D. it’s straight past the FF and onto the Avengers stuff.

 

They really should put it all into giant volumes. As a collective of work it’s up there with Cerebus or Alan Moore’s Swamp Thing in its breadth. Even more ambitious when you consider he’s juggling and intertwining multiple titles over years and years.

Fantastic Four is peak Hickman for me, I found his Avengers far too dry.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, womblingfree said:

Still ploughing through Hickman’s Marvel, all 260 odd issues ending with Secret Wars.

 

Read the Fantastic Four stuff first, which was brilliant, but now reading all the Secret Warrior and S.H.I.E.L.D. stuff separate from that instead of in conjunction. Still enjoyable but not quite as in-tune as I’d like.

 

Never mind. After the current wave of Secret Warriors and S.H.I.E.L.D. it’s straight past the FF and onto the Avengers stuff.

 

They really should put it all into giant volumes. As a collective of work it’s up there with Cerebus or Alan Moore’s Swamp Thing in its breadth. Even more ambitious when you consider he’s juggling and intertwining multiple titles over years and years.

It's so good reading it all in order though so yes 100% agree. 

 

One of my fave moments in comics ever maybe even is 

 

Spoiler

To me! My Galactus. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just realised if I read all the Secret Wars plus spin-offs too then that’s another 260 odd comics. :blink2:

 

Think I’ll stuck to the essentials for that, which are apparently:

 

5AF239F2-67C0-4710-A39C-96F9103E89CA.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can someone please explain this week's Hulk (31), I've read it twice and i really don't get it at all. 

 

I have a feeling i am going to regret asking for help as it's going to be something really simple lol. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

While I’m currently quite enjoying Hickman’s SHIELD Vol 2, it really is Bill and Ted’s Excellent Adventure played entirely with a straight face.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  

Also the Yeti guy (backstory)

Spoiler

 

is called Xenmu, but he existed in Marvel comics before Stan Lee and Jack Kirby invented the Fantastic Four.  He appeared one or more times as a mind controlling monster  called... The Living Hulk.

Journey_into_Mystery_Vol_1_66.jpg.d904acf6752a82583e2871857d352737.jpg

 

But then Stan and Jack decided to name their big new green anti-hero (gray at first btw) The Incredible Hulk. So when Xenmu reappeared many years after that in the superhero comics of Marvel, he was now called Xenmu. He fought the classic savage Hulk a few times, solo and together with The Defenders - a superhero team the Hulk is a member of. Of all the heroes, the classic savage Hulk was the only one always able to resist Xenmu's mind blasts and other mind tricks.

273832621_-page09-.thumb.jpg.7a46e30832402a80a394d4055d156ee3.jpg1118528019_-page10-.thumb.jpg.bd61edb0637924942f3ae8fccf8bf263.jpg

With that in mind, reread the issue and note the difference between Devil Hulk and savage Hulk, what was forgotten. Also note that in his first appearance in The Defenders series, Xenmu hijacked a television studio to do his mind control thing.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, womblingfree said:

While I’m currently quite enjoying Hickman’s SHIELD Vol 2, it really is Bill and Ted’s Excellent Adventure played entirely with a straight face.

 

Hickman did a Shield comic? TO THE MARVEL UNLIMITED MOBILE!

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Different shield, TBH.

 

Although his Secret Warriors run was quite Shield'y in the traditional 'Nick Fury, vaguely facist homeland security shitbags' mold.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Flub said:

 

Hickman did a Shield comic? TO THE MARVEL UNLIMITED MOBILE!


Two volumes at least. You’re in for a surprise! :lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok if you're reading Immortal Hulk and rather not have spoilers, DO NOT OPEN THIS SPOILER.

 

Joe Bennett posted this on his Instagram, so it's out there but still DO NOT OPEN THIS SPOILER.

 

But it's very cool and more of a hint of what's to come rather than saying how it's all going to play out.

Spoiler

Ok, have you read Planet Hulk? If so, you know what this picture means. But still SPOILER

Spoiler

Really?

Spoiler

Of course because it's really fucking cool!

IMG-20200218-WA0008.thumb.jpg.33ed0299e73a1c572c024f8256a2d145.jpg

 

GREEN SCAR IS BACK - and yes, Bennett confirmed that that is Devil Hulk and yep Green Scar is that huge. Note that Green Scar is the one that earned the title of World Breaker and went to war in World War Hulk.

 

 

OH MY FUCKING GOD

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.