rllmuk
biglime

The Watchtower - A thread for all comics

4 hours ago, sexton_hardcastle said:

Bennett’s untouched pencils are glorious there. 

Worth following his insta if you want to see more. Joe_Bennett_comics.  He posts lots of artwork there, including pencils from the Immortal Hulk comic.

Edit: added link:facepalm:

This is another Bennett raw pencils piece that I love. Another commission, a recreation of the classic cover of Hulk 181, the first full appearance of relatively obscure Marvel character Wolverine:

Screenshot_20200111-193440_Instagram.thumb.jpg.f46be222a6a5a60f34b9d7d35a908b77.jpg

Sorry for posting so much in such a short span btw! :) 

• Upvote 5

On 10 January 2020 at 08:28, dug said:

Monstress is a bit special, isn't it? Read book 1 and immediately bought book 2. Really enjoyed it, particularly the fantastic art. Is it an ongoing series or does it have an ending?

Yeah - I picked up the first trade not long after it was released, and just picked up vol 4, which is on my pile of stuff to read. Great art, and I get a real Moorcock/Elric sense of doom from the heroine bound to a God of chaos.

On 11/01/2020 at 11:37, Mr. Gerbik said:

IMG_20200111_083943.thumb.jpg.ba04900a291a393a4a5000569c006f76.jpg

Man, that Bennett is one talented dude! The guy had it inked and coloured by professionals:

IMG_20200111_083935.thumb.jpg.64a1f6a3a79a6421987b8cc973e8dbca.jpg

Did he ink over the signature? Or was it a copy that they inked?

2 hours ago, Delargey said:

Did he ink over the signature? Or was it a copy that they inked?

From what I understand, you don't ink directly onto the pencils. The dude who ordered the commission should still have the original pencil drawing, sans inks.

Edit:

Found this coloured version on Joe Bennett's own Instagram:

IMG-20200112-WA0017.thumb.jpg.e0bbaf89432ba1e856ee63d9fd258e8b.jpg

I'm not going to say this to the Hulk fan who commissioned the piece and then paid more than 200 dollars on top of that to get it coloured, but imo this looks a lot better.

Those Hulk pieces are glorious i own that McFarlane covered issue. 

A a side note did anyone pick up Miles Morales The End?

Some lovely Damion Scott artwork who i have always had a soft spot for since his Nightwing run with Dixon.

Story was ok but had a nice Ganke bit. 

I’m trying to think of a comic series I was reading a few years ago and can’t remember for the life of me what it was called, it was a version of one of the Superhero clans like a Justice League or Young Avengers (but wasn’t actually the young avengers series I looked) it didn’t have the main cast of characters in I remember that,

Its probably 5 years ago, all I remember is they all got dropped on to an island and had to fight each other Battle Royale stylee..... Anyone know what I’m talking about?

8 minutes ago, cassidy said:

Avengers arena I believe. It was pretty good too. 

YES!! I never finished the series so want to go back to it, I remember being really impressed

Thank you

55 minutes ago, CovisGod said:

YES!! I never finished the series so want to go back to it, I remember being really impressed

Thank you

It was great and so was the series it led into as well. 

1 minute ago, The Eagle Lord said:

It was great and so was the series it led into as well. 

Series it led into? Any info please bud?

Some advice/opinions please folks!

There's a sale at Comixology at the moment on Dan Slott's Spider-Man stuff, some of which I read/liked previously - I read from Big Time to around Spider-Island before eventually being reminded why I tend not to read ongoing Marvel/DC series (continuity and crossovers, mainly) - but I've never managed to read any of Superior Spider-Man, despite my interest in it.

So, has anybody here read it? Do they recommend it? And if I just buy the two collections of the Complete Collection (which have the last few Amazing issues that lead in, and then the whole Superior run), is it standalone enough that I won't need to supplement it with anything else?

There are a few issues which lead into it with Spidey vs Doc (these might be in the collected edition? ) but other than that it wraps up pretty conclusively. I really enjoyed it at the time & it has a very strong start, certainly the standard Spider-Man books struggled to match its pace afterwards. In fact not until it gets a kind of a reprieve during the Spiderverse crossover a year later (which is another fun read). 

It also has a sister title "Superior Foes of Spider-Man" by Nick Spencer which deals with low level villains struggling under Ottos reign as Spidey, which is worth picking up too.

• Upvote 1

Superior Spodermun and Superior Foes are both excellent.

The Doc's eventually fate a while after those two runs however is a disgrace but you don't need to worry about that. As Sexton says it's a nice self contained story.

If anyone is interested I actually got some digital comics last night. Cos Humble bundle is doing a Spawn bundle. Issues 123-302 for £11. 

Too good to ignore that was. And I don't even like reading digitally. 

• Upvote 1

I’d like to read the original indie TMNT comics but am a bit confused as to what I’m looking for. ComiXology has a bunch of stuff but it looks like the bright candy-coloured kids stuff rather than the dark and ominous original.

Anyone know which volumes I’m after?

40 minutes ago, womblingfree said:

I’d like to read the original indie TMNT comics but am a bit confused as to what I’m looking for. ComiXology has a bunch of stuff but it looks like the bright candy-coloured kids stuff rather than the dark and ominous original.

Anyone know which volumes I’m after?

Volume 1

https://www.comixology.co.uk/Teenage-Mutant-Ninja-Turtles-Black-White-Classics-Vol-1/digital-comic/25927?ref=c2l0ZS9saXN0L2Rlc2t0b3AvZ3JpZExpc3QvMzI2NDI

Volume 2

https://www.comixology.co.uk/Teenage-Mutant-Ninja-Turtles-Black-White-Classics-Vol-2/digital-comic/25928?ref=YnJvd3NlL3NhbGUvZGVza3RvcC9ncmlkTGlzdC8zMjY0Mg

Volume 3

https://www.comixology.co.uk/Teenage-Mutant-Ninja-Turtles-Black-White-Classics-Vol-3/digital-comic/25929?ref=Y29taWMvdmlldy9kZXNrdG9wL3NsaWRlckxpc3Qvc2VyaWVz

Volume 4

https://www.comixology.co.uk/Teenage-Mutant-Ninja-Turtles-Black-White-Classics-Vol-4/digital-comic/25955?ref=Y29taWMvdmlldy9kZXNrdG9wL3NsaWRlckxpc3Qvc2VyaWVz

That brings you up to date with what IDW have reprinting in B&W so far in smaller volumes. on sale until some point today (16th Jan).

Please can i also recommend Eastman & Bisley's Bodycount which is a Casey & Raph team up series and has just had this anniversary printing which is also in the sale. 

https://www.comixology.co.uk/Teenage-Mutant-Ninja-Turtles-Bodycount/digital-comic/665185?ref=YnJvd3NlL3NhbGUvZGVza3RvcC9ncmlkTGlzdC8zMjY0Mg

If you are however looking for the bigger volumes on sale until some point today (16th Jan) you have these options:-

Volume 1 (1-7)

https://www.comixology.co.uk/Teenage-Mutant-Ninja-Turtles-The-Ultimate-B-W-Collection-Vol-1/digital-comic/162898?ref=c2l0ZS9saXN0L2Rlc2t0b3AvZ3JpZExpc3QvMzI2NDI

Volume 2 (8-11 Mike, Don, Leo one shot)

https://www.comixology.co.uk/Teenage-Mutant-Ninja-Turtles-The-Ultimate-B-W-Collection-Vol-2/digital-comic/162903?ref=Y29taWMvdmlldy9kZXNrdG9wL3NsaWRlckxpc3Qvc2VyaWVz

Volume 3 (12,14,15,17,19-21)

https://www.comixology.co.uk/Teenage-Mutant-Ninja-Turtles-The-Ultimate-B-W-Collection-Vol-3/digital-comic/162908?ref=Y29taWMvdmlldy9kZXNrdG9wL3NsaWRlckxpc3Qvc2VyaWVz

Volume 4 (City @ War First Part)

https://www.comixology.co.uk/Teenage-Mutant-Ninja-Turtles-The-Ultimate-B-W-Collection-Vol-4/digital-comic/162913?ref=Y29taWMvdmlldy9kZXNrdG9wL3NsaWRlckxpc3Qvc2VyaWVz

Volume 5 (City @ War Conclusion)

https://www.comixology.co.uk/Teenage-Mutant-Ninja-Turtles-The-Ultimate-B-W-Collection-Vol-5/digital-comic/162918?ref=Y29taWMvdmlldy9kZXNrdG9wL3NsaWRlckxpc3Qvc2VyaWVz

And that brings you up to date unless you want some Tales Of The TMNT if so let me know and ill go through them for you. 

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, cassidy said:

If anyone is interested I actually got some digital comics last night. Cos Humble bundle is doing a Spawn bundle. Issues 123-302 for £11. 

Too good to ignore that was. And I don't even like reading digitally. 

I’ve never bought comics from Humble bundle before, how are they viewable if I purchase? Via the ComiXology app or the Kindle app or summat? Or do you have to view on a Pc? 

Just now, CovisGod said:

I’ve never bought comics from Humble bundle before, how are they viewable if I purchase? Via the ComiXology app or the Kindle app or summat? Or do you have to view on a Pc? 

I just download the cbr they have via torrent and then read through a comic reader on my ipad. 

Instructions are here:-

https://support.humblebundle.com/hc/en-us/articles/202844690

1 minute ago, CovisGod said:

amazing thanks

No worries, i've got some previous bundles DRM free if you want me to share them so you can try it out?

1 hour ago, The Eagle Lord said:

No worries, i've got some previous bundles DRM free if you want me to share them so you can try it out?

That would be awesome! 

thanks for that

Kieran Gillen wrote a one-page comic about Super-Man (not Superman; this is a 100% original and legally distinct character) and a lot of artists drew it.

It's a good illustration of how panel size and layout can affect how well a joke lands in the final panel!

Has anyone else read We3 by Grant Morrison and Frank Quitely? 

I read it the other day and met with my book club to discuss it tonight, Id never heard of it, but then I'm a bit of a noob when it comes to comics. I particularly liked how it used the panels to tell the story and I also liked that there wasn't alot of dialogue with every emotion and thought being better represented by the artwork.

• Upvote 1

54 minutes ago, wev said:

Has anyone else read We3 by Grant Morrison and Frank Quitely? 

I read it the other day and met with my book club to discuss it tonight, Id never heard of it, but then I'm a bit of a noob when it comes to comics. I particularly liked how it used the panels to tell the story and I also liked that there wasn't alot of dialogue with every emotion and thought being better represented by the artwork.

Its written by Morrison and drawn by Quitely, they are one of the finest duos to have ever worked together in comics, that’s all that has to be said really.

• Upvote 1

For the longest time my work desktop image was the two page spread of the dude getting drilled. One of my favourite books, I’ve bought copies for lots of friends and family. 

There’s a good book by ADRIAN TCHAIKOVSKY called Dogs Of War which is kind of similar, but with a different menagerie...and lots of other differences too now I think about it.  Maybe not that similar, but worth a read.