rllmuk
biglime

The Watchtower - A thread for all comics

My lovely wife got me a tablet for Christmas, so I can feel a comixology splurge coming on. I think immortal hulk first, since everyone raves about it. I take it it doesn't matter that I've never read a hulk comic before? I like the look of Monstress as well, so that's on the list. Then I'm going to browse and hopefully not spend too much..

Comixology has a huuuge sale on right now. I spent £20 yesterday and picked up loads of stuff I've been waiting to go on sale.

12 hours ago, dug said:

My lovely wife got me a tablet for Christmas, so I can feel a comixology splurge coming on. I think immortal hulk first, since everyone raves about it. I take it it doesn't matter that I've never read a hulk comic before? I like the look of Monstress as well, so that's on the list. Then I'm going to browse and hopefully not spend too much..

You should be ok, Wikipedia is my go to for stuff and i have read a lot of hulks on and off over the years.

Not to be a nay sayer but i did enjoy it just not as much as a lot of other people and i'm not sure why, don't get me wrong it's in my top ten for the year comics wise. 

As for the sale on Comixology i have found the following of interest if the sale is still on when i get paid!

Cosmic Ghostrider.

Cosmic Ghostrider vs The Marvel Universe.

Infinity Wars The Complete Collection.

Kirby Is (1-3).

Spider-Geddon.

Savage Avengers.

Batman Hush.

Batman White Knight.

Batman The Black Mirror.

Btaman Earth One (1-2).

Batman Year One Hundred & Other Files.

Mr Miracle (everyone buy this its three quid).

Joker 10th Anniversary Edition. 

Alan Moore's Swamp Thing. 

Bloodshot.

Saga.

Chew.

Blackbird.

Gi Joe (Lots of good ones).

Decided to ditch my HOXPOX hardcover and then spend it on some of the above instead.

• Upvote 2

13 hours ago, dug said:

I love it and I’d not previously read a Hulk comic since the 70s. I’m sure it’s full of clever references and call backs to all kids of stuff that goes right over my head, but anything you actually need to know is there on the page, and it’s brilliant all by itself.

• Upvote 1

Did you also get volume 5 in the sales @moosegrinder? Might have to post that gif again a few times :D

Edit: and yeah @dug Immortal Hulk is pretty self-contained. If you know what the Hulk is - get angry, get big and green yadda yadda, you should be good to go. The idea is that it's a horror flavoured twist on that classic Hulk formula, so everything is just as new for regular readers as for newcomers.

It's also self-contained in that the writer is making a conscious effort to let is stand apart from the rest of the Marvel comics. It does fit in with all the stuff happening, like cross-overs abd stuff, but it doesn't actually participate in them in the main series - it's a completely self-contained story which for modern Marvel is a breath of fresh air. Usually every good and promising storyline in any comic gets rudely interrupted for whatever corny mega event is happening that season.

• Upvote 2

It’s so well paced, and I live the rotating art styles during that bit that I just read...

• Upvote 2

On 26/12/2019 at 18:24, SeanR said:

It’s so well paced, and I live the rotating art styles during that bit that I just read...

Yeah, I loved that bit too. Inventive use of the medium of comics, love that kind of stuff.

One thing: are all these mentions of the green door supposed to remind me of Shakin' Stevens? Possibly not the effect they were going for there.

17 hours ago, dug said:

Yeah, I loved that bit too. Inventive use of the medium of comics, love that kind of stuff.

One thing: are all these mentions of the green door supposed to remind me of Shakin' Stevens? Possibly not the effect they were going for there.

they quote the original song on one page

So today was NCBD and as I was lazily scrolling through the list in the Comixology app, I noticed that Grendel Devil's Odyssey issue 3 was out. Wtf? A brand new Grendel written and drawn by Wagner himself? Why wasn't I informed?

Anyone here read it, is it good?

More importantly, as I looked closer I noticed only issues 2 and 3 were available. No issue 1. And of the two omnibuses that collect the Grendel sidestories from the nineties, Grendel Tales, only volume 2 was available. Weird, especially Devil's Odyssey - because that's a current series that just started!

So I checked in a browser. And yep, issue 1 is on Comixology. Maybe a rights issue like the one that prevents me from spending money on Blade of the Immortal and Berserk? But I tried signing in while on the store page for Devil's Odyssey and what do you know - I remained on that page and could add it to my cart! Weird. Checked the app again and nope, not available. 

Grendel Tales volume 1was also available through the browser.

So I checked Berserk and what the fuck it's just there. So I bought Berserk volume 1 through the browser and yes it popped up on my recently purchased in the app ready to download. 

Blade of the Immortal was still unavailable though.

As an experiment, I added Grendel Tales volume 1 and 2 to my wishlist through the app. Checked the app, and only volume 2 appears on my wishlist there.

Weird.

But I can finally spend money on Berserk!

Edit: turns out Berserk is also available through the app :lol: Never mind, seems the regional license issues or whatever for the Netherlands were cleared up. (Until now I was only allowed to buy the German versions :seanr:)

• Upvote 1

Did anyone pick-up Marvel's Incoming #1 couple of rather good bits in there.

Also, X-Men #4 was pretty good too but the pacing is starting to bore me a little as we know it won't be long before they change the artist on the title. 

Just noticed that there’s a complete compilation of over twenty years worth of Rusty Brown by Chris Ware out now.

Bought immediately, obviously.

• Upvote 1

I just read infinite crisis and final crisis back to back. After picking them up for £3 each on comixology.

Imma have a lie down now...

• Upvote 1

Anyone picked up the new Thor? Looking at the general reactions and raving reviews, I'm probably in the minority, but I thought

Spoiler

the basic idea of Thor becoming a herald of Galactus

just isn't that interesting. Hasn't just about everyone been one by now? More to the point, I was fascinated by the concept of

Spoiler

Thor as king of Asgard

which as it turns out didn't even last beyond this one issue. That felt like a potentially fascinating tale to be told and like something refreshingly different.

2 hours ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

Anyone picked up the new Thor? Looking at the general reactions and raving reviews, I'm probably in the minority, but I thought

Hide contents

the basic idea of Thor becoming a herald of Galactus

just isn't that interesting. Hasn't just about everyone been one by now? More to the point, I was fascinated by the concept of

Hide contents

Thor as king of Asgard

which as it turns out didn't even last beyond this one issue. That felt like a potentially fascinating tale to be told and like something refreshingly different.

I really enjoyed it myself, thought the art was great too.

I've followed Coates over to the title since it carries on the stuff from both his Venom run (which in turn carries on from Jason Aaron's Thor) & his Cosmic Ghost Rider stuff.

But i do agree with the bottom statement but i think that will be picked up as we have seen in another title the aftermath. 

2 hours ago, The Eagle Lord said:

I really enjoyed it myself, thought the art was great too.

I've followed Coates over to the title since it carries on the stuff from both his Venom run (which in turn carries on from Jason Aaron's Thor) & his Cosmic Ghost Rider stuff.

But i do agree with the bottom statement but i think that will be picked up as we have seen in another title the aftermath. 

It's probably me being a grumpy old man :D I've seen nothing but praise. And as you say, the art is great. And I love Coates' writing. It's just that after Cosmic Ghost Rider

Spoiler

which had the basic concept "Punisher as a Herald/ Ghost Rider as a Herald", now just a few months later here's Thor as a Herald. I feel like Comic Book Guy for saying this, but that's a really easy and boring way to fill out your storylines. Spider-Man as a herald next, then Hulk as a herald. You know?

When Galactus fell out of the sky, I wasn't like 'holy shit' but more like 'him AGAIN?' He feels a bit overused the last few years. And then it ends with yet another well-known hero becoming yet another herald.

The above reminds me: anyone read Batman Last Knight? Bonkers but fun story, completely over the top but with some painful reminders of the evil in people given current events and voting results.

Anyway, the last issue features the best use of the word holy (spoilers!)

Spoiler

As his new sidekick, Joker is trying to be a good Robin and thinking of ways to sound like a proper Robin. Upon stumbling across a startling discovery he promptly exclaims: "holy shit Batman!"

:lol:

13 hours ago, SeanR said:

I just read infinite crisis and final crisis back to back. After picking them up for £3 each on comixology.

Imma have a lie down now...

I love Infinite Crisis. 

I just finished reading my Absolute New Frontier.

Jesus I miss Darwyn Cooke. Some of the best Cape art drawn since Kirby Imo. 

• Upvote 1

I read Descender for the first time today and loved it. I'll have to get started on Ascender now.

4 hours ago, cassidy said:

I love Infinite Crisis. 

I just finished reading my Absolute New Frontier.

Jesus I miss Darwyn Cooke. Some of the best Cape art drawn since Kirby Imo. 

Agreed i love that Absolute edition.

What a guy, he is missed <3

1 minute ago, The Eagle Lord said:

Agreed i love that Absolute edition.

What a guy, he is missed <3

I got the new printing for Xmas and it's truly a joy to have that art in oversized format.  The double page of Ted Grant knocking out Ali is just stunning. 

1 minute ago, cassidy said:

I got the new printing for Xmas and it's truly a joy to have that art in oversized format.  The double page of Ted Grant knocking out Ali is just stunning. 

FUCK!

no idea there was a new one, 

I have the singles and trades and absolute is it bad i want the new one too >_<

1 hour ago, The Eagle Lord said:

FUCK!

no idea there was a new one, 

I have the singles and trades and absolute is it bad i want the new one too >_<

Well I believe it just has the extra material the deluxe edition released a few years ago had included. Other than that it's exactly the same. 

So if you already have the Absolute it's probably not worth quadruple dipping :lol:

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, cassidy said:

Well I believe it just has the extra material the deluxe edition released a few years ago had included. Other than that it's exactly the same. 

So if you already have the Absolute it's probably not worth quadruple dipping :lol:

Your a good man a good man!

I'm gonna resist buying anything till April. The zero hour omni that's on its way doesn't count as I ordered it pre Xmas. 

April is gonna be expensive but its bonus payday month and birthday month. Currently planning on getting the following  

Swamp thing by Nancy A Collins Omni 

Hellblazer by Garth Ennis omni

Wolverine vol 1 omni reprint 

Uncanny xforce by Rick Remender omni reprint(everyone should read this it's fantastic) 

Power pack omni (look I was 9 when Power pack arrived and I love them and Franklin Richards) 

Oh and another Kallax cos mine is now full. 

Completey hooked on Lazarus at the moment. The artwork is incredible and the whole plot is intriguing so far.

• Upvote 1