rllmuk
biglime

The Watchtower - A thread for all comics

More Frank Miller Batman next week, shame he's not drawing it but hopefully without another writer cramping his style it'll bring the crazy

STL140180?type=1

Tom King's Superman: Up in the Sky finished this week and it might actually be my favourite Superman run ever. Full of heart. 

20 hours ago, Mr Combo Breaker said:

Tom King's Superman: Up in the Sky finished this week and it might actually be my favourite Superman run ever. Full of heart. 

That was an amazing final issue. Real top tier Superman stuff.

I love an uplifting Superman tale. I'll put it on my want list. 

Just finished Batman damned. Meh overall but the graveyard scene when you know who turns up and saves Bat's and the banter with everyone's favourite Scouse mystic/conman just about saves it.

Though of course Bermejos art is just wow throughout.  When will Azzarello ever write anything as good as 100 bullets again. 

On 05/11/2019 at 13:13, AK Bell said:

Just picked up X-Men 2099 ... not heard good things, but I've been wanting to read it since I was a kid and couldn't get a hold of it

On dragging up 2099 stuff, this was fucking awful. I still have a few issues to drag myself through. It's an interesting curiosity for a couple of issues, then a crossover happens stopping everything and then pretending that we know who these characters are and/or give a shit.

I think they should leave the 2099 stuff contained to the Spiderman line at this point. It seems to work quite well there with Miguel. He's a good Spiderman.

On 05/12/2019 at 11:46, Mr Combo Breaker said:

More Frank Miller Batman next week, shame he's not drawing it but hopefully without another writer cramping his style it'll bring the crazy

STL140180?type=1

Is he writing this by himself? I picked up Dark Knight 3 and thought it was rubbish. Don’t think Miller had much to do with it.

Has anyone else been reading the current Jimmy Olsen series? It's surprisingly funny.

I've started reading a really sweet manga called Komi Can't Communicate about a girl who suffers from extreme anxiety when she tries to talk to people. Her goal in high school is to make 100 friends.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Komi-Cant-Communicate-Vol-1-ebook/dp/B07RXJXDKV

On her first day attending the elite Itan Private High School, the main setting of the story, Shouko Komi immediately receives an overwhelming surge in popularity due to the unprecedented, stoic beauty and refined elegance her classmates perceive her to possess. However, only Hitohito Tadano, an exceedingly average schoolboy assigned to the seat next to hers, is able to have the opportunity to discover that, behind her bishōjo appearance, Komi has serious issues in communicating with others. Tadano sets out to help Komi on her quest to find 100 friends

• Upvote 4

Don't know if this is common knowledge or not but if you have Amazon Prime you can get something called "Prime Reading"

https://www.amazon.co.uk/kindle-dbs/fd/nonprime-pr

You can basically "borrow" ten books at a time to read via the Kindle app.

There are loads of Graphic Novels on there, for which i have been reading through Marvel's Star Wars Including Darth Vader, Dr A & the main Star Wars book as well as the Thrawn & Darth Maul stuff too.

Well worth a go.

Literally choose your books and when you are done "return" them and choose another!

• Upvote 3

6 hours ago, Flub said:

I've started reading a really sweet manga called Komi Can't Communicate about a girl who suffers from extreme anxiety when she tries to talk to people. Her goal in high school is to make 100 friends.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Komi-Cant-Communicate-Vol-1-ebook/dp/B07RXJXDKV

On her first day attending the elite Itan Private High School, the main setting of the story, Shouko Komi immediately receives an overwhelming surge in popularity due to the unprecedented, stoic beauty and refined elegance her classmates perceive her to possess. However, only Hitohito Tadano, an exceedingly average schoolboy assigned to the seat next to hers, is able to have the opportunity to discover that, behind her bishōjo appearance, Komi has serious issues in communicating with others. Tadano sets out to help Komi on her quest to find 100 friends

There are a couple of problematic elements in this that don't sit well with me however. One of the characters (Who herself has some anxiety) has decided that she doesn't deserve to be anything more than Komi's "dog" and the comic likes to joke about that which makes me very uncomfortable. Hopefully this is a translation issue and not as harsh as it seems in the original Japanese. I'm hoping that will drop off as the series progresses. Most of the people Komi makes friends with seem to have various issues themselves and I suspect the comic will tell how they all work on their problems by being friends with each other.

Also one of the characters is portrayed as gender fluid. Tadano knows them as male (They're childhood friends) but now they're in high school they're expressing as female. So far the comic just has everyone accepting this (Apart from some setup it's rarely mentioned) and apart from one comment about which bathroom they'd use on a trip to the pool (Which was more confused than nasty. They ended up using the unisex changing room) it's been ok so far as far as I can tell but not having much experience with this I can't say for sure. Wikipedia has a review of the comic that says their portrayal is a problem. There's only 4 volumes available in English so far (15 in japan) so possibly I haven't reached the bad stuff yet. Certainly something to be aware of if you decide to have a read.

I'd still recommend it though. At least the first volume to try. The art is lovely. Komi is generally portrayed as classic Bishoujo or cute/almost chibbi with wide stunned eyes when she's having problems and occasionally cat ears pop out of her head. The style of the eyes there is amazing. "WTF. HELP!"

Sometimes it's heartbreaking to see the struggles Komi goes through (You find out her father is the same). The manga throws in little one or two page sketches where someone interracts with Komi and totally misunderstands her anxiety with hilarious consequences to themselves (But never Komi). There's one scene where the teacher asks the class "Who should I ask this next question". One of the students suggests Komi and the teacher refuses saying she'll pick someone else. Komi freaks thinking the teacher hates her but Tadano lets her know the teacher is just being kind.

I fucking love this comic guys.

• Upvote 1

RIP Doctor Aphra (vol 1)

I have to admit, even I was surprised to see her

Spoiler

clown on Vader so thoroughly that it's probably the worst beating he's taken this side of Obi-Wan or Ahsoka.

I was reminded of the time John Constantine fucked over Satan so completely and comprehensively that he jumped right to #1 on his shitlist, even above God.

The new issue of Superman was great. The one where

He reveals his secret identity to the world

On 14/11/2019 at 14:35, Mr Combo Breaker said:

Warren Ellis' Batman was a bit weird. It had an obviously traced picture of Ron Howard's brother Clint, 2 very strange shots of Batman's gooch and then just ended in the middle of a conversation. Weeeeird.

Right, it can’t just be me, surely?

issue 3

27DA5BCC-3FB9-4FFD-BAC8-3B12E11BB471.thumb.jpeg.c64d83cb0bb217389163afe7e56bead4.jpeg

97E76C63-F935-4D5F-9F4C-D84A1707E7FA.thumb.jpeg.264f4c2cf19a63abd2dcc1d955d5c56b.jpeg

That batman scott snyder omni bargain  I posted about last week. 

Lost in the fucking post and wasn't sent recorded.

So gotta get a refund from Amazon and pay full whack anyway.  

• Empathy 2

Sat down and consumed Absolute Swamp Thing in a 2hr binge last night. 

Good lord its so well written and easy to read. 

And the art in Absolute format just shines. And I adore the new colouring. Some panels look so much better now. Blasphemy I know but such a worthwhile purchase Imo. 

I always do feel that i should get mine out a reread the saga again but the fear I have is that it will influence me into the Absolute edition. 

20 hours ago, The Eagle Lord said:

I always do feel that i should get mine out a reread the saga again but the fear I have is that it will influence me into the Absolute edition. 

Do it buy it. 

I also finished Lucifer omni on the weekend and started and finished Kill or be Killed. All fantastic and worth your time. 

Apparently the new American Jesus story arc starts tomorrow as some sort of Xmas surprise (meta as fuck). I remember enjoying the original, it was less Cunty than a lot of Millar's other work.

2 hours ago, Mr Combo Breaker said:

Apparently the new American Jesus story arc starts tomorrow as some sort of Xmas surprise (meta as fuck). I remember enjoying the original, it was less Cunty than a lot of Millar's other work.

Fool me once...

I really enjoyed issue 2 of LSH. I wasn't really feeling it in the first issue but the new one? Firing on all cylinders.

I'll get in on LSH when that omni hits next year. Its a totally unexplored area of DC for me.

Speaking of that there's a theme to my xmas pressies this year

Dceased hardcover

Heroes in crisis hardcover

Injustice omnibus - heard this is shockingly good for a Videogame spinoff 

Batman scott snyder omni

Y the last man omni 

Zero hour omni 

Then a bit of change 

HOX/POX hardcover

Harrow County vol4 - can't stress enough how people need to read this one. 

Lots of chill and reading over Xmas is my plan.  I'll post a pic of the stack Xmas day. 

29 minutes ago, cassidy said:

I'll get in on LSH when that omni hits next year. Its a totally unexplored area of DC for me.

The Five Years Later Omni? That's probably the single worst place you could start :) It's also my fave LSH

Doomsday Clock - OK but not worth the hype or wait.

Questions:

I really don't understand what the purpose of the Colman and Nathaniel Dusk side-story was. The Black Freighter comic within-a-comic was thematically linked to Watchmen, and the story of the castaway served as a parallel to the story. What link does Colman have to Doomsday Clock's story and themes exactly? Did Colman even serve a purpose? It seems to me that Doctor Manhattan only changed his mind because of Superman, and Colman didn't really do anything.