rllmuk
biglime

The Watchtower - A thread for all comics

This whole attack on Alan Moore is fucking shit, I've read three Super Hero themed comics this year, Captain Marvel, Immortal Hulk and Batman: Last Knight on Earth, I've enjoyed them but not half as much as I enjoyed These Savage Shores and Isola.

• Upvote 1

I personally agree with a lot of what Alan Moore said.

As good as some of the Marvel films have been, none of them compare to a great comic, it’s just impossible to tell the same kind of story in a film that can be found in a great comic series.

• Upvote 4

Out of the plethora of Marvel movies there are a handful that stand up on their own as really good movies. Not groundbreaking or earth shattering, just good. The genius of Marvel is they have until now mostly avoided diminishing returns, which is a commercial not creative success. Not a one of them has done anything as revolutionary and groundbreaking as what Alan Moore did with comics. Not even close. In fact you could argue they’ve reversed and watered down the progress comics made over the last few decades in being considered a serious literary medium.

To see fanboys trying to retcon him as some kind of talentless misogynist villain is like seeing Chuckle Brothers fans attacking Bill Hicks for not being good at slapstick and having a potty mouth.

• Upvote 3

5 hours ago, Mr Combo Breaker said:

STL137313?type=1

hoho! how can they make Infinite Crisis even more grimdark than it was? By turning Blue Beetle into the anti-monitor? I can't wait :D 

Do want. 

26 minutes ago, The Eagle Lord said:

These books have been great i really loved the Knightfall one that was proper dark.

I think I'll hold out for a collection. Who am I kidding. I know I'll hold out for a collection. 

47 minutes ago, Flub said:

That was an epic moment and a surprisingly decent series. I'm looking forward to the sequel.

Worth buying the trade? I know some people were really impressed with it, not a massive fan of the art but i did like the story in the pages above. 

51 minutes ago, Mr Combo Breaker said:

Rebellion bought the Bitmap Bros. They should do a Speedball 2 strip in 2000AD. 

They did it was called Harlem Heroes I believe. 

• Upvote 1

On 27/11/2019 at 19:36, Spatial said:

Comixology's Marvel BOGOF is now live - Amazon have dropped their prices to match some of it too (if you fancy and odd number of purchases).

DC in on it now ... DCBOGO

Comixology are also doing a huge sale on a lot of 1st volume TPBs, so go there if you've been meaning to try something new, they might have it on discount.

Well I just nabbed a bargain. Was perusing my amazon wishlist and the Batman by Scott Snyder Omni is on there and was a potential Xmas pressie costing £66

Books etc had a used copy which is obviously a new returned one with slight dust jacket damage, as it was still sealed and only cost me £15. 

Let's see how bad that damage is now. 

• Upvote 4

17 hours ago, Joystick Chevron said:

Goddamn Nanny, are you fucking kidding me? I'd happily fogotten she existed until I saw that image and the nightmares came flooding back.

Havok, Sinister, Nanny...um, any more ideas?

Nanny and Orphan Maker,  Havok, Emplate, Penance, Kylun / catgirl from starjammers, bishop & vulcan. 

Superior Foes of Spider-Man showed that quirky character combos worked if handled right. If they can take some of the left field characters and make them funny and endearing it could be well worth a read.

edit: then again, it's been revealed to be Havok and Psylocke so far...

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, Spatial said:

Superior Foes of Spider-Man showed that quirky character combos worked if handled right. If they can take some of the left field characters and make them funny and endearing it could be well worth a read.

edit: then again, it's been revealed to be Havok and Psylocke so far...

Superior Foes was one of the best comics in recent years and also definitely the funniest.

• Upvote 1

On 01/11/2019 at 22:58, Mr. Gerbik said:

Re: Dale Keown. He was the best Hulk artist ever, but he has lost it a bit. He never became as good as in his Hulk run after Pitt got delayed into Oblivion and I don't think he does a lot of regular series work these days. Just a few covers here and there. His recent one shot special with PAD was filled with existing drawings and sketches repurposed to fit in those panels, and overall it was kinda weak compared to his old work.

I never really got on with Keown to be honest and the art of The End looked rubbish when compared to Future Imperfect or Gary Frank's very clean lines. Actually, Gary Frank was by far my favourite Hulk artist of PAD's run.

On 05/11/2019 at 20:53, moosegrinder said:

Speaking of which, Spider-man 2099 is on sale at the moment. I don't know about the newer stuff but the classic is definitely worth it

https://www.comixology.co.uk/2099-Sale/page/22725?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=socialmedia&utm_campaign=2099&tid=fb-2099-11012019&fbclid=IwAR1gdOGFpUuKZ1BL9QHq_jWXoGSkbgQxvNw-_M_YnXnGNDU7PfhhhCBmp5o

I doubt the sale is still on, but just to second that the original PAD run of Spider-Man 2099 was excellent and well worth reading. There's a fucking crossover at one point, but you can pretty much ignore it (although it faintly pains me that I missed on one of the damn crossover issues at the time but fucked if I can be bothered to buy it now). The art does take a massive nosedive after Rick Leonardi leaves though, and none of the artists that followed him could hold a candle to the standard he set, but the story was worth it.

EDIT: Don't be a muppet like me and start reading in the middle as there are a few interesting twists that you'll be spoiling!

• Upvote 1