rllmuk
biglime

The Watchtower - A thread for all comics

Also, I recall someone in this thread waiting for the hardcover - well it's out now. Immortal Hulk volume 1, collecting the first ten issues :)

Edit: maybe it was @cassidy?

And Immortal Hulk volume 4, softcover version collecting 16 - 20, is also out.

Edit edit: while I couldn't give two shits about Venom or Carnage or any of that silly 90s symbiote concept, Absolute Carnage: Immortal Hulk is also out now. It works as a standalone because it's written by Ewing himself and it offers a fascinating look into the Hulk's psyche and the 'system' the current personalities have agreed upon.

1 hour ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

So, I'm guessing nobody else read Immortal Hulk 24 and specifically how it ends? Without spoiling: horror but on a cosmic level. Holy shit. It sets some incredible and very interesting things up for next issue.

For anyone who liked Ewing"s cosmic stuff in The Ultimates, this is highly recommended. Ever wanted to know the link between Galactus and Hulk? The ultimate fate of Franklin Richards,? Well, Hulk delivers - and how.

(I'm waiting until the trade to read HOXPOX btw :( )

I read it and didn't understand any of the tiny end story part. 

It's devil Hulk right?

Also didn't Hulk do something similar before with the Hulk Busters or Gamma Core or something?

21 hours ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

Also, I recall someone in this thread waiting for the hardcover - well it's out now. Immortal Hulk volume 1, collecting the first ten issues :)

Edit edit: while I couldn't give two shits about Venom or Carnage or any of that silly 90s symbiote concept, Absolute Carnage: Immortal Hulk is also out now. It works as a standalone because it's written by Ewing himself and it offers a fascinating look into the Hulk's psyche and the 'system' the current personalities have agreed upon.

Cheers Sir.  Avoiding Omni purchases at the moment as need Xmas pressies for myself but this will be on the list. 

Though I finally get my hands on absolute swamp thing at end of month.

Rediscovered gaming again the apathy has passed yay. 

22 hours ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

That Carnage tie-in was awesome!

I found the explanation of the Immortal Hulk far easier to understand in the tie-in than the main title. 

Is the Carnage Immortal Hulk a single issue or a series? And is it likely to be included in a future Immortal Hulk TPB? As I'm torn between not wanting to buy individual comics if I can avoid it, and wanting everything Immortal that Ewing sees fit to produce.

It's a single and, as it's completely stand alone to the current Immortal Hulk run, I'd say it's likely be collected as part of an Absolute Carnage related TPB rather than in the Immortal Hulk ones.

Ewing is also starting on Guardians of the Galaxy in 2020 - be very interesting to see what he's going to do with them

• Upvote 1

On 03/10/2019 at 17:35, The Eagle Lord said:

I read it and didn't understand any of the tiny end story part. 

It's devil Hulk right?

Well,

Spoiler

You know who Galactus his? As explained at the start of this issue, he was the last survivor of his universe. As it ended with a big bang, together with the sentience of his cosmos he became the being known as Galactus in the current universe. The same thing will happen at the end of the current universe; it will end and a single someone will merge with the sentience of the current cosmos, and become the equivalent of Galactus in the next universe.

The being Banner was talking to in the end bit introduced himself as Metatron in the previous issue. But we have heard him talking to Banner since the Hulk in Hell saga, where he asks what Banner wants the Hulk to be - the shadow or the light, above or below.

This issue it turns out they're at the end of time, or at least the end of the current universe. As Banner explains to Metatron, Franklin Richards (the über powerful kid of Reed and Sue) was apparently destined to be the last survivor of this universe. Him, or Mr. Immortal (a mutant whose power is literally immortality) as the second choice. But Banner/Hulk killed them according to himself, even killed Galactus along the way. And more, but he doesn't specify who - he just says "the rest of them"

At this point, Immortal Hulk is the last survivor of this universe. But we don't know exactly what he is, this is eons into the future. He looks like an emaciated Banner, but note that he has the same eyes as Devil Hulk. 

Before Metatron can react, Banner transforms in a really disgusting way and literally consumes him. Eats him alive. Now, Galan previously peacefully merged with the sentience of the cosmos to become Galactus. Metatron says before he dies that this wasn't supposed to be. As this universe ends, there is no harmonious merger - Hulk literally violently eats the sentience of the cosmos. What will this mean for the next universe? What kind of manifestation will Hulk become? 

Really REALLY looking forward to Immortal Hulk 25!

For previous reading about the potential future of an immortal creature like the Hulk, I highly recommend Peter David's Hulk: The End where we see how the Hulk finds himself at the end of the world.

I own Hulk The End graciously signed by Dale Keown.

I've always liked the idea of Maestro being the final path for Bruce / Hulk.

And if you google Metatron looks like it's been bouncing around the Marvel Universe a while. 

Did you see the HOXPOX hardcover that comes out Christmas Eve? Depending on what else the hardcover contains i may treat myself to it. 

33 minutes ago, The Eagle Lord said:

I own Hulk The End graciously signed by Dale Keown.

I've never been as jealous of anyone ever, as I am of you right now:o

That's amazing, I can imagine you're happy with it. Did you get it signed yourself in person?

I've always liked the idea of Maestro being the final path for Bruce / Hulk.

And if you google Metatron looks like it's been bouncing around the Marvel Universe a while. 

Me too, but don't forget that Ewing referenced the Maestro and noted his similarities in a few ways to Devil Hulk a few issues ago. Who knows.

I didn't know Metatron was a thing in the Marvel universe.. going to read up. Between Immortal Hulk, Rocket Raccoon, and Ultimates, it's obvious that Ewing is really good at cosmic stuff.  His Guardians of the Galaxy should be great.

Did you see the HOXPOX hardcover that comes out Christmas Eve? Depending on what else the hardcover contains i may treat myself to it. 

Due to real life I have no space anymore for physical comics. I buy everything digital, but I am indeed waiting until the digital paperback before diving into HOXPOX ^_^

In my 35 years of reading comics I haven't loved a comic series as much as I'm loving Immortal Hulk right now, that's why it's the one and only exception in my all-digital comic book life :)

26 minutes ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

Immortal Hulk volume 1 hardcover has arrived and it's a thing of beauty :wub: That Alex Ross cover has never looked better

Have you been getting The Immortal Hulk Director's Cuts at all? I may get the TPB of them if there is a big difference. 

Is that Bruce at the end or was it Rick Jones?

14 hours ago, The Eagle Lord said:

Have you been getting The Immortal Hulk Director's Cuts at all? I may get the TPB of them if there is a big difference. 

Is that Bruce at the end or was it Rick Jones?

The Director's Cuts are exactly the same. There's just additional behind the scenes stuff, sketches, storyboards, scripts, that kind of stuff. Fascinating for a fan like me, but if you're interested in just the incredible story you can skip it. Get this hardcover instead. It has a few extras, an ibtro by Jeff Lemire, character designs by Bennett, Ross cover sketches - but nowhere near the amount those director's cut issues have. But again, the story is exactly the same, no additional pages or anything like that, so not worth waiting for imo.

You mean at the end of issue 24? That's definitely Banner.

14 hours ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

Immortal Hulk volume 1 hardcover has arrived and it's a thing of beauty :wub: That Alex Ross cover has never looked better

Stop it I'm poor at the moment. Thanks new boiler. 

Ellis' Batman series starts today. First couple of pages gave me pause:

aHR0cDovL3d3dy5uZXdzYXJhbWEuY29tL2ltYWdl

Surely this is COMPLETE BOLLOCKS.

Fair enough if you buy a plot in advance (or make one in your big garden) 

Fair enough if you buy a gravestone for your 8 year old son (but I doubt it)

Nobody would actually put the gravestone out until the person was actually dead! Kayfabe-shattered!

edit: unless it's a flash forward, but then the narration doesn't really work.

Powers of X final issue was underwhelming and repeating pages I found unnecessary even though I understand it was to re-conceptualise  what happened before.

2 hours ago, yakumo said:

Powers of X final issue was underwhelming and repeating pages I found unnecessary even though I understand it was to re-conceptualise  what happened before.

Shame on you for not enjoying the fireworks in the Ewok Village on Endor again!!

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, The Eagle Lord said:

Shame on you for not enjoying the fireworks in the Ewok Village on Endor again!!

That made me chuckle. However, more excited for the new titles now.

14 minutes ago, womblingfree said:

Is Jennifer Blood any good?

Do you like Punisher Max?. If so you may enjoy it.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Mr Combo Breaker said:

Ellis' Batman series starts today. First couple of pages gave me pause:

Surely this is COMPLETE BOLLOCKS.

Fair enough if you buy a plot in advance (or make one in your big garden) 

Fair enough if you buy a gravestone for your 8 year old son (but I doubt it)

Nobody would actually put the gravestone out until the person was actually dead! Kayfabe-shattered!

edit: unless it's a flash forward, but then the narration doesn't really work.

Its only the first issue plus its the guys from the authority so it probably be explained.

46 minutes ago, AK Bell said:

Looks like Infamous Ironman (Doom) appears to be on sale on comixology. I had a feeling it would with the new book out. 

I both hate and love that sort of run. On the one hand it's often amazing to see once horrible villains mend their ways and join the good guys (See Superior Spiderman, Lex Luthor, Doom et al) but you just know that at some point the status quo is going to be reset and it'll be like they had a personality transplant. It's never an organic change back either.

Otto is amazing in Superior. Lex Luthor was great when he joined the Justice League (Not trusted, wanting to help, still acting like a superior dick). Doom was a great Iron Man trying to attone for his past misdeeds.

Then boom. Like it never happened. Guys. Nothing in comics should ever be set in stone. These constant resets back to basic archeatypes is probably one of the reasons sales are tanking so hard.

One thing I do like about Marvel is they made a 9 year old girl officially the smartest person on the planet. They cancelled the series which was fantastic anyway but still...

If the new series opener is anything to go by, Victor is still acting relatively moderate and decent - he offers an unconditional surrender the instant Latveria starts taking horrendous casualities instead of standing around letting people die for hours while he tries to figure out a solution.

I mean, he's totally going to WRECK SOMEONE'S SHIT once the threat has passed but he's not going to let people die needlessly.

It's a far cry from 'sacrifice the love of his life and make a suit of armour out of her skin' Doom, for sure.

Unbeatable Squirrel Girl is nearly finished one of the greatest run of comics ever. And in fine style. In this issue Doreen's habit of turning enemies into very good friends pays off big style "When did she find time to befriend a ghost!".

And that cliffhanger image of Doreen as she desperately tries to protect all her friends is just pure SG goodness. I'll miss the title when it ends next issue but I'm happy it's ending at the writer's request rather than falling off into obscurity and being cancelled.

Ryan North gets the character totally and I hope whoever next revives her takes what he's done and builds on it in new and fun ways.

• Upvote 2

https://www.comicsbeat.com/everything-we-know-about-dc-comics-5g/

Not going to post the contents. Possible spoilers for huge DC shakeups next year (Original Crisis level shakeups).

I love the idea of this level of change. I'm excited to read the comics that come out of it....but DC don't have a good track record when it comes to actually pulling off this kind of mega change. In fact not even a mediocre track record. I don't think they've ever managed it.