rllmuk
biglime

The Watchtower - A thread for all comics

I got an ancient iPad 3 (first with retina display) and it's still perfect for comics. The screen is crazy sharp still compared to anything else. Maybe you can pick up a cheap second hand one?

(this is coming from someone who otherwise doesn't like Apple stuff. this is purely a comic reader now)

Honestly the Fire 10 is very good for the price, and Comixology works flawlessly on it (as you'd expect being an Amazon company).

But if you want it to do more than read comics, books, listen to Audible, watch Netflix and iPlayer, etc, then it's not the best.

Oh, and PSA for anyone into fun, breezy, anti-machismo comics: Batgirl and iZombie are loads of fun, have beautiful art and are well written. If you like Squirrel Girl give them a bash!

So my August purchaser's/orders so far

Bratpack HC by Rick Veitch 

The One HC by Rick Veitch 

Not read Bratpack since the 90's so that will be nice to revisit and Imo it's a great superhero deconstruction and I wasnt aware IDW had reprinted it. 

Never read Maximortal is that worth my pennies as well? 

Harrow County Library Edition vol 3. I highly recommend this to all and sundry. A great slice of Southern horror by Cullen Bunn. 

I'm trying to resist the authority omnibus that is out next week. But I can see myself crumbling. 

22 hours ago, cassidy said:

Harrow County Library Edition vol 3. I highly recommend this to all and sundry. A great slice of Southern horror by Cullen Bunn. 

I’ve only read the first few so far - my recent iPad purchase has meant I finally only generally read one or two issues of things at a time (instead of binging whole tpbs/series at a time), and so have multiple series on the go at once, which is lovely - but this seems really great, and I’d echo the recommendation.

There’s a Harrow County sale on ComiXology at the moment too, if people are interested.

House Of X #2 was a good read this week, even when it turned out like I thought it would I wasn't disappointed.

The timeline at the back is a nice touch too.

Anyone else paid attention to the file names that come with these text passages?

Interesting machines eh?

• Upvote 1

Joe Fixit in a Hawaiian shirt and a shit-eating grin gives me life, as does Betty being a dick, and Al Ewing’s clear fondness for Puck, Creel and Titania.

Ha, holy shit he put a Puck and a Titania on the same team.

It's been years and years since I gave a toss about X-Men but I love all this stuff so far. Hickman referencing all sorts of old continuity, and Larraz's work is beautiful

Oh man. House of X just keeps getting better and better. Immortal Hulk was also fun as usual.

As expected I crumbled and ordered the authority omni and both stormwatch hardcovers. 

Fuck my lack of willpower. But yay Warren Ellis and Bryan Hitch. 

• Upvote 3

And I should add, I today finished reading Moonshadow for the first time. 

What a delight that was.  Totally missed it in the 80's and 90's. Highly recommend the new Dark Horse HC reprint.   

• Upvote 1

Justice League is  getting better and better. This issue the focus was on Jarro and his dad Batman gave him a hug at the end.

Best Robin.

54 minutes ago, Flub said:

This issue the focus was on Jarro 

I’m assuming this is a typo? If not, could you explain please?

2 hours ago, cassidy said:

I’m assuming this is a typo? If not, could you explain please?

The Justice League beat Starro and all that was left was a fragment that I became its own person. He helps the justice league with psychic stuff, thinks Batman is his dad, wants to be Robin and Batman wubs him.

EZpjIGO.jpg

This is not a dream or an imaginary tale. It's official canon and is amazeballs.

Also in Green Lantern, Morrison ramps up the Morrison dial to 11.

• Upvote 1

Anyone struggling to grasp the events/implications of HoX #2, here's a nice handy (and absurdly large) diagram!

I wonder what the big mystery will be in regards to life #6...

image.thumb.png.d59980ad50603cd50a28b54d2567cce2.png

• Upvote 1

I'm a tad disappointed the latest life doesn't keep highlighting her tedious one and off again flirtations with Banshee.

After initially enjoying Dr Aphra and Vader I’m running out of steam with them a bit now. Vol 1 of Vader was excellent, as were the initial Dr Aphra’s. 

Like a a lot of this stuff it seems they had a great idea for a story and a new character, told that story, and now have to produce more and more...forever! I find the shoehorning in of Leia, Luke and Han at every available opportunity particularly irksome. 

At least there was a good story to tell initially though, unlike the dull Stranger Things spin off I read recently.

Might go back and give Vader another go.

I loved all of Gillen's Vader run (and I'm not normally a fan). I tried vol 1 of Soule's run, and couldn't get on with it at all (and I'm usually a fan!). Go figure.

I'm trying to work out how to view my CBR file extension comics on my Chromebook in portrait mode but having great difficulties working out how to do it.

I have a ASUS C101 laptop this has the option of the keyboard section to flip around and for the hardware to become a tablet style device. So I want to view the comics in the portrait mode to fully utilise the full screen.

But I have tried a few apps and none of them allow me to flip the orientation of the screen to be portrait. Even if I just leave the laptop in its normal state, I can't see any option to adjust it that works or leaving it as 'auto' and then either just shifting the laptop to its side or flipping the keyboard all the way over and the laptop becomes a tablet.

I am on the latest Chrome OS version and checked and all the apps are upto date.

The apps I have tried are: Perfect View & CDisplayEX

Anyone have any ideas or suggestions.