rllmuk
biglime

The Watchtower - A thread for all comics

1 hour ago, SpagMasterSwift said:

I usually read trades these days, but the addition of a female turtle has me heading down the local comic shop in the hope of getting TMNT #95. Heard it’s going to second print so may have to wait for the trade after all.

B64D33F2-5F50-4335-A84B-1AB44DCCF7B0.thumb.jpeg.5ea540217777a17d052d2815d760f020.jpeg

If that's the latest issue, you only see her for a literal panel at the end and that's it. 

Which you can actually see in this article below:-

https://www.slashfilm.com/teenage-mutant-ninja-turtles-new-female-turtle/

• Upvote 1

I spent a while tonight organising my kindle collections. It looks nice presented on the 11 inch screen

4A941DD8-E921-4489-BB89-0236D1BCCE0D.png

• Upvote 4

I used to love Asterix when i was younger after getting the game from a carboot system for my sega master system. 

When i took one of my ex partners to Paris for a weekend there was a mass media push for a live action movie, it was over all their fast food places and bus stops. 

Seeing that makes me want to get all the books and movies again. 

Big massive spoiler alert. Immortal Hulk 21 is out today, but the solicitation for issue 25 just went up. And if you thought the series had reached peak craziness, well, apparently what we've seen so far is pretty tame.

Spoiler

Goddamn, Ewing you wonderful crazy bastard :D And what about dat Ross cover, eh?  

Previews has a freebie for the New X-Men books House Of Ten & Powers Of Ten both of which ship next week!

So does that mean Uncanny X-Men is going to wrap up this week with one final issue?

I really hope not, i don't want a cheap ending for the series. 

Acording to the previews of Hickman's new X-Men these will be the two new foundation books for the X-Men series for years to come, and both comics actually interact with each other and are mean't to be read side by side. 

that's how his fantastic four run worked as well. Except instead of being the foundation of the FF continuity they cancelled the books for like 3 years :lol: 

speaking of motherfuckers who don't finish their series Warren Ellis is doing a Batman run with Bryan Hitch. It sounds cheery.

The team that brought us The Authority now turn their talents towards The World’s Greatest Detective, whose current case forces him to inhabit the mind of a murder victim with a half-eaten face—without filling the empty grave next to those of his parents.

But first, Ellis and Hitch get into the mind of a butler. Once a week, rain or shine, Alfred Pennyworth walks to a little cemetery plot in the Wayne Manor grounds. He meticulously tends to Thomas and Martha’s headstones, plinths and slabs: weeding, cleaning, polishing. But how much longer before there’s another Wayne memorial to tend to?

Within this dynamic duo’s new comic lives a Batman with an almost psychotic identification with murder victims. He immerses himself in their lives and obsesses over every detail of their deaths. Even as Batman would process the evidence and approach the perpetrator from one side, he would live inside the life of the victim as they approached their death.

This is from the new (and final!) LOEG issue:

Spoiler

Edit: spoiler tagged it because apparently it's the last thing on that page (the last page of Moore's comics career, if we believe him this time).

40 minutes ago, Nick R said:

This is from the new (and final!) LOEG issue:

Hide contents

Edit: spoiler tagged it because apparently it's the last thing on that page (the last page of Moore's comics career, if we believe him this time).

So i get thats supposed the last work we will ever see from Alan (again) but i don't understand anything past that?

Is there a context i'm just not getting?

1 minute ago, The Eagle Lord said:

So i get thats supposed the last work we will ever see from Alan (again) but i don't understand anything past that?

Is there a context i'm just not getting?

Approximately everything since about 2014.

1 minute ago, Rev said:

Approximately everything since about 2014.

Ok so it's the text that we were looking at, not the picture with The Shadow & Spy VS Spy. 

I assumed that the text was just some bullshit that someone had actually sent in, not Alan writing that as a spoof. 

So im re-reading Mr Miracle again.

And i noticed in the first issue when Scott is being picked up by Barda after "orion's visit" that there's a whole conversation about how Barda's eyes are now brown and not blue anymore.

She says "how hard did he hit you" or something along those lines. 

barda1.jpg.5b56075a906445de1dc09569e66fe2d4.jpg

Now is that just a "dig" as such because some where a long the lines after Jack Kirby (above) people started coloring her eyes a different color?

See now i'm wondering if a certain popular theory about that title's certain character maybe a lot more different then we think.

Hell if i'm honest i've read the book so many times i still don't understand it aside from the suicide parts i can relate too. 

1 hour ago, cassidy said:

I just read that as more evidence his chosen reality isn't real. First inkling Scott gets is that isn't it? 

I think it is, but even the opening scene (you know the one) implies that the anti life equation has been in Scott for a long time. 

Really don't know if to buy Death Of The New Gods as people say it could be related due to certain impaling in the hall on Apokalypse but then there's the whole thing with Highfather (OG) towards the end where he outright states that this is in its on separate universe. 

I am never going to understand the book completely if I'm honest. 

I'm really enjoying my read through of the Peter David Hulk run. I wasn't too keen when it was Joe in Vegas but once it moved on from there the quality improved a lot. It also helps that it looks fucking stunning on my 11 inch Pro with matt screen protector. I bought the Mr Miracle trade in a comixology sale. I read it all monthly but it was one of those titles that I think will read much better in a trade so I'm looking forward to getting to that.

Did anyone else read the House of X preview issue? Damn son. That looks top tier.

I seem to be mostly alone but the more I see of the new LSH series the more excited I'm getting. I'm not convinced by some of the character designs but the key point I like is they're finally willing to change stuff up and at least try something new. I also really enjoyed the threeboot legion.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Flub said:

Did anyone else read the House of X preview issue? Damn son. That looks top tier.

I thought it looked ok, The Power Of X stuff appeals to me more because of the whole future / sentinel thing. 

Am i right in thinking both books are released tomorrow?

I can't be the only one who envies @Flub's 11" monster :)

Essential additional reading to Peter David's Hulk run is Hulk: Future Imperfect and Hulk: The End by the way. Both are collected into 1 trade on Comixology so don't buy separately! 

Years later David would return to his Goliath for a short run. It's mostly forgettable due to some stupid crossover event taking up most of that run (history repeated itself) but the recommended part of that run is collected in the Hulk: Tempest Fugit tpb. It serves as a very nice epilogue to his original run.

edit: read Future Imperfect somewhere between issues 390 and 400... The End is more standalone but I think it works best sometime after 400.

3 minutes ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

I can't be the only one who envies @Flub's 11" monster :)

Essential additional reading to Peter David's Hulk run is Hulk: Future Imperfect and Hulk: The End by the way. Both are collected into 1 trade on Comixology so don't buy separately! 

Years later David would return to his Goliath for a short run. It's mostly forgettable due to some stupid crossover event taking up most of that run (history repeated itself) but the recommended part of that run is collected in the Hulk: Tempest Fugit tpb. It serves as a very nice epilogue to his original run.

I already have The End in trade and happily Future Imperfect is in the Epic collection I'm currently reading. The thing I really, really like about the Epic collections on Comixology is they're full colour. I used to buy them (And the DC equivalents) in paper form and they were B&W which is not as good a read. Next time they're on sale I'm going to start buying the X-Men versions. They're great value for money.

I've added Tempest Fugit to my wishlist.

My 11 incher is indeed an absolute unit and does in fact bring all the boys to the yard.

Epic Collections are great because they include everything that's relevant instead of just the issues of that one series - and they're great value for money!

iirc back when Marvel was putting out Essential collections before the Epic collections started appearing, those were in black and white. Epic Collections are in colour and have replaced to Essential collections thankfully.

I'm going to Google how I can get an 11" unit too.

1 hour ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

Epic Collections are great because they include everything that's relevant instead of just the issues of that one series - and they're great value for money!

iirc back when Marvel was putting out Essential collections before the Epic collections started appearing, those were in black and white. Epic Collections are in colour and have replaced to Essential collections thankfully.

I'm going to Google how I can get an 11" unit too.

Argos. They do same day delivery. Also the official Apple keyboard folio case is very, very expensive but lovely.

There's no reason to do B&W "budget" collectors editions in digital these days. In paper form yes. They're much cheaper but digital has no such limitation. Which makes my angry when my guilty pleasure Savage Dragon (A really, truely bad comic in almost every way possible) is only properly available in digital in B&W archive editions. There are some volumes available in colour (Which I'd happily buy) including the original mini series but there's a huge gap of missing issues not available. It sucks. B&W is no good for SD at all.

Don't get me started on DC's Showcase editions (Also B&W) and silver age being almost completely absent in digital. I bought loads of those when I was buying physical and they work better in B&W than the more modern stuff since the art is more basic. I wish DC didn't hate the silver and bronze age so much. It's a gold mine of excellent stuff.

Why the hell can't I buy collected editions of so much DC stuff? I'm ready to literally hurl money at them.

I'm not up on my DC stuff but I see a lot of complaints online about what they decide to collect in TPB and how. Marvel seems to be a lot better in that regard. That being said where the fuck is the J.M. DeMatteis/Buscema Spinneman collection? Why doesn't it exist yet :angry:

Marvel is way, way better about collections. DC are better these days with their much newer stuff but the vast majority of their content is unavailable except on the high seas. And Marvel have the added benefit that almost all of it is also available by subscription (Even if their app is absolutely awful).

I mean sure DC have an app now but

A) US only because idiots

B) A curated set of issues.

OK I know I don't do digital but..

Heres a way to read free 

1. Have Amazon prime 

2. Quickly signup for Kindle unlimited as its 3 months for 0.00 at the moment. 

3. Download Kindle app to my 9.7" tiddler 

4. Browse Kindle store on app and filter to comics and graphic novels 

5. Enjoy 

You can only have 10 loaned at a time but that's enough

This week I have read the following for nothing 

Supersons vol 1 and 2 - loved it 

Rebirth Superman - loved this 

Rebirth All star batman - good 

Rebirth Teen titans - think I have a thing for my namesake Damian. 

There's all of the New 52 Animal man by lemire, top 10 by Moore and loads more. 

Thank me with a pint if we ever meet IRL 

• Upvote 2

Biggest problem I have with Marvel's digital trades is how downright lazy some of them are - their older collected editions are just the singles with the front and rear cover bolted on, and no actual extras like the variant covers, sketch notes etc. Thankfully they have improved for releases since 2017 onwards.

DC on the other hand tend to include all that stuff as standard and it doesn't matter if you buy physical or digital, you're getting the same. That said they make some really odd decisions about not releasing stuff, as said.

At the moment they've not bothered to release a Green Lantern Corps and Blue Beetle TPB digitally, despite everything else before and after them coming out. Granted neither of those titles set the world alight, but as a bit of a completionist for characters and series I enjoy it irks me that they just seem to be trying to wipe them from existence (the physical copy of GLC Darker Shade of Green is going for some silly money online as it's rarer than hens teeth).

On another note entirely, DC have been smashing it out the park lately with their Variant Covers. I don't collected them, but the artwork in the solicits are a thing of beauty on times. Linking to them is a nightmare but the DCeased ones are sooo good

image.thumb.png.5aacc682a3094240d9f67f0650369bdf.png

a1f84abe8ea6d6aaa6b95530d2c026f7.jpg

aHR0cDovL3d3dy5uZXdzYXJhbWEuY29tL2ltYWdl

aHR0cDovL3d3dy5uZXdzYXJhbWEuY29tL2ltYWdl

I like that Nightmare On Elm Street cover, but it just makes me think of all the awesome ones they did for Marvel Zombies back in the day.

Moving on to today's releases House Of X has a directors cut and a normal version, i'll do the forum a solid and get the directors cut version and i can tell / share the differences if people get the other one. 

I've just read through House Of X #1 

Wow, if you hated what Hickman did with The Avengers & Future Foundation etc you are going to hate this. 

There is so much to process here.

It's going to be one of those comics that i have to read a few times to really get my head around, and each page is dripping with hidden information too from each little server and filename.

I can't say anything else until i've read it again and i am very interested to see what all of you think about it too.

As for the Director's cut, you get the complete cover gallery (now i want the Joe MAD cover) the script and a load of virgin & textless art so unless you are all into that stuff then your welcome to skip it. However, some redacted script leads me to be very curious.