rllmuk
biglime

The Watchtower - A thread for all comics

It's good don't get me wrong it really is but i just cannot seem to find it as amazing as everyone else.

I like the Hulk i think he's a good character not one of my favourites and not in my top ten but the title has had some great runs & titles. 

Since the new issue is out does that mean were ok to talk about the last one?

Spoiler

How is rick jones alive? did he come back to life with the cosmic cube like captain america?

King explains his departure from Batman:

"“I’m working on a DCU movie now (New Gods with Ava DuVernay) and a secret TV show thing that hasn’t been announced,” King told Entertainment Weekly. “DC was kind enough to see that doing all that and a twice-monthly Batman would be tough. So they divided the Batman book into two monthly books, Batman and Batman/Catwoman. Bat/Cat will complete this epic story we’ve been telling and lead to this game-changing moment I’ve been hinting at. Batman will…well, I can’t tell you, but it’s very cool. But, because of the beats that will be handled in Batman, I have more room for my storylines in Bat/Cat, which means that the twelve issues can cover all of the story that was part of the original plan.”"

Yeah it seems slightly unlikely. 

In other news my Saga Vol3 hardcover arrived and I finished it this morning. 

Good god it was just nothing but death and death and more death. Its also bloody fantastic still. When does the series return is it August? 

Officially announced new Bendis LSH title starts in september. Not super hyped since his Superman has left me cold but still willing to give it a shot.

Well Im halfway through King's Mister Miracle. 

I think I'm a little bit in love with it. Didn't really click with his Omega men, loved his Vision series and now this is something else as well. 

Does shit get explained fully or am I  gonna have to make my own mind up by the end? 

Darkseid is. 

• Upvote 2

I was looking forward to seeing if Superman First Year was a return to form to a these days more chill Frank Miller, but it turns out to be the same hot garbage he's been spewing in the past. Women are angels or whores, and both to be protected by a big man. 

Can we PLEASE find John Romita Jr. a decent writer to work with?

Just has an email that caught my eye:

Marvel fans, sit up and listen - we've got something really special for you. One of our suppliers found these Marvel trading cards made in 1984, in the back of their warehouse and they’ve given us an extremely limited stock.

We can’t go back to 1984, so once they’re gone, they’re gone!

https://www.zavvi.com/merch-memorabilia/marvel-vintage-original-1984-trading-cards-complete-set-of-60/12129389.html?utm_source=23062019-zuk-marvel-trading-cards&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=23062019-zuk-marvel-trading-cards&affil=thgemail&ecrmcid=wkMo1KEyL68xQ4ylPVlrN9dAbjBPl57G&shae=%2FgaVgkH1zRi3MJuM4T6%2F2ons9H9Y%2FI910gDPYnWg32Y%3D&sendTime=1561309200&widget_id=1392352

Are the genuinely from the 80s, or am I missing smallprint?

I don’t have much interest in comics but could these end up valuable?

15 hours ago, disperse and recoagulate said:

Seems Zavi are now sold out or is it not open to buy till the release date 28/06/19?

Anyway a quick google image search came back with this:-

https://www.collectors.com/trading-cards/1984-marvel-super-heroes/64799

Looks like the first appearance 1984 cover set goes for about $60 complete with various cards fetching between $2 to $4.

Some of the graded ones go near the $100 mark.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, The Eagle Lord said:

Seems Zavi are now sold out or is it not open to buy till the release date 28/06/19?

Anyway a quick google image search came back with this:-

https://www.collectors.com/trading-cards/1984-marvel-super-heroes/64799

Looks like the first appearance 1984 cover set goes for about $60 complete with various cards fetching between $2 to $4.

Some of the graded ones go near the $100 mark.

Yeah you can preorder ready for release on the 28th. I doubt I’ll bother getting them but I guess a profit could be made, depending on how many sets Zavvi have for sale.

Impressive they kept it under wraps until the day before. Diamond and comic shops must be shitting themselves though.

I've been reading Spider-Man's Tangled Web, a fun series from back in 2001 from good alterative(ish) creators from that time. It follows various secondary Spidey characters (Rhino rues his lack of intelligence, Villians meet in a bar to talk shop, a kid tries to deal with the stigma of his dad being a failed supervillian). Lots of fun stories with a bit of an edge to them, the kind of books that the big two don't really put out anymore. Highly recommended.

14 hours ago, Hexx said:

That's a super cool way to end a run like that. I read the first three or four volumes and then drifted away. I recently bought the three large digital compendiums (First 144 issues) dirt cheap in a comixology sale. Now I know the last one will be on the way soon I can get cracking and do a proper read from the start.

Robert Kirkman has to be the luckiest guy in comics, Invincible was pretty good but anything else he has ever written is average at best,

Whatever you do, never read the comics he wrote for Marvel, his Ant Man run in particular is one of the worst things I have had the misfortune to read.

Have to admit after reading 193, i'm pretty happy with the ending. 

I wont say anything cause people should read it for themselves, but i think it's cool as fuck they used an old internet rumour to finish the series off in a grand fashion.

I also put this in the Just Read thread - a decent bit of Summer reading for comic lovers. 

Vicious by V.E.Schwab. Really enjoyed this. From the blurb - "Victor and Eli started out as college roommates—brilliant, arrogant, lonely boys who recognized the same sharpness and ambition in each other. In their senior year, a shared research interest in adrenaline, near-death experiences, and seemingly supernatural events reveals an intriguing possibility: that under the right conditions, someone could develop extraordinary abilities." Don't want to say much more than that but it's a really engaging read with a story ripped from comic books. Would heartily recommend. 

• Upvote 1

The Wild Storm wrapped up in a nicely explodo fashion, with The Authority as bona fide heroes saving the day (Angie in particular), Jackie King being a boss, Ivana finally Ivana'ing but getting outplayed, and Bendix getting brought down a peg as both IO and Skywatch are exposed to the world.

Overall, really enjoyed it, sad it's 'ended' but it's set up a lot of things if they choose to expand/follow through. It's good that the next mini-series to come out of it will be a WildCATs one as while they were important in the early issues, it did feel like their part in proceedings was rather pushed to one side by all the IO/Skywatch/Authority stuff so looking forward to seeing more of them.

Thanks to this week's Immortal Hulk for the important tip of the week on how to reboot your Hulk if it's having performance issues.

9 minutes ago, Joystick Chevron said:

The Wild Storm wrapped up in a nicely explodo fashion, with The Authority as bona fide heroes saving the day (Angie in particular), Jackie King being a boss, Ivana finally Ivana'ing but getting outplayed, and Bendix getting brought down a peg as both IO and Skywatch are exposed to the world.

Overall, really enjoyed it, sad it's 'ended' but it's set up a lot of things if they choose to expand/follow through. It's good that the next mini-series to come out of it will be a WildCATs one as while they were important in the early issues, it did feel like their part in proceedings was rather pushed to one side by all the IO/Skywatch/Authority stuff so looking forward to seeing more of them.

Thanks to this week's Immortal Hulk for the important tip of the week on how to reboot your Hulk if it's having performance issues.

I thought Wildstorm ended well but felt really rushed for some reason, and interesting on how Michael's story wrapped up.

Who's on the creative team for WildCATS?

Also really enjoying Uncanny X-Men still, and loved the dig at Hickman at the back of the book.

I'm interested to see what Hickman does but it really annoys me at the same time as this run of Uncanny has been excellent. 

• Upvote 1

On 02/07/2019 at 21:59, The Eagle Lord said:

Yeah so its going end with a big funeral for the character from last issue.

It'll be interesting to see how it all wraps up but it has been loosing substance over the last few months. 

Fucking hell, I just cancelled my subscription - I'll have to get the last issue though, or it'll bug me forever!

On 03/07/2019 at 09:22, Mr Combo Breaker said:

I've been reading Spider-Man's Tangled Web, a fun series from back in 2001 from good alterative(ish) creators from that time. It follows various secondary Spidey characters (Rhino rues his lack of intelligence, Villians meet in a bar to talk shop, a kid tries to deal with the stigma of his dad being a failed supervillian). Lots of fun stories with a bit of an edge to them, the kind of books that the big two don't really put out anymore. Highly recommended.

This is great. Cheers for the recommendation. The Rhino story is really good.