The Watchtower - A thread for all comics

biglime

I have no idea what comixology is. I googled it and it wanted me to download an app so I did. The app is pushing unlimited and I don't seem to able to access anything else. 

But, goIng from the last few pages of the forum nobody seems to have unlimited and just waits for sales. Is this the case?  Is unlimited rubbish?

the app doesn't seem to have anywhere for me to sign up to unlimited anyway. It's very confusing.  Do you guys use it?

Unlimited is US only at the moment - if you're in the US you can sign up to it for a monthly fee, but if you're not then you won't be able too. If you're in the UK and have told the app your location (been a while but I think it asks you right at the start?) then it shouldn't be trying to push Unlimited on you.

11 hours ago, sandman said:

I have no idea what comixology is. I googled it and it wanted me to download an app so I did. The app is pushing unlimited and I don't seem to able to access anything else. 

But, goIng from the last few pages of the forum nobody seems to have unlimited and just waits for sales. Is this the case?  Is unlimited rubbish?

the app doesn't seem to have anywhere for me to sign up to unlimited anyway. It's very confusing.  Do you guys use it?

If you're on IOS you need to use the website to buy comics. 

On 17/07/2018 at 16:25, Charliemouse said:

Am I the only person left that still buys physical books in this thread?

As good as all the bargains are for digital comics, I could never give up my collection of collected comics, they just look so pretty on my shelves for a start.

Digital doesn't work for me with comics, I don't think the tech is there at the moment. I'm fine with a Kindle for 'pure' text, but I don't want to be reading comics on an iPad or laptop screen - I want the whole page in front of me, for a start, and I want the texture. But then a lot of what I read is older stuff, where the medium was factored into the art - newspaper comics were created for newsprint, and four-colour comics were created for cheap paper and crude printing. Sometimes that can come across better in digital - with 50s EC comics, for example, a well-scanned original page looks far better than some of the recoloured, glossy physical archives published by Dark Horse. But those original scans tend to be illicit fan efforts, not the official release.

I guess modern comics that are created digitally probably look great on a device, and I can see the appeal of being able to zoom in on the art, for example. The potential is huge - a digital Artist's Edition, where you could layer the pencils and inks, cross-reference influences and references, and have stuff like Amazon's X-Ray available would be amazing. But for standard buying and reading, I still want the real thing. I've no doubt digital will get there eventually, but for me there's a way to go yet.

The best digital comic I've seen, actually, was the CD-ROM MAD archive I bought in the early 2000s. The interface was bad, as was the style at the time, but it had good quality page scans and a comprehensive index, so you could easily find all references to a person or topic over almost 50 years of content. That was a huge deal, and I could see a similar approach working well for something like Love & Rockets, for example - tracking characters and their interactions, being able to easily switch between original publication order and collected storylines, bookmarking panels, adding notes, searching OCRd text... these are the things I want from digital comics. Not having my life threatened by teetering, overloaded bookcases, slippery piles of comics on the stairs or an infuriated wife are really side-issues at best.

1 minute ago, Naieve said:

ooh, Morrison to write Green Lantern as a police procedural in space, presumably with Killowog as the angry captain doing all the shouting . Should be good

I am totally on board for that.

10 hours ago, Spatial said:

Utterly bonkers.

Though can't imagine he'll have many problems with Big Dave being there -  the fact that he's built like Bane can't be a coincidence :D

Hey it's Bane without the mask is literally the first thing I thought

I've seen them remove stuff from sales as they go on - typically it's the longer running ones. There was a Marvel sale a while back that had over 1000 titles at the start, just before the end it was down to around 990 for some reason.

Was it a Marvel book? It's probably just a coincidence it was one you were after but God knows why they do it (especially as it's not a physcial object they can run out of stock of)

2 big surprises this week (enormous spoilers ahead)

Descender

Spoiler

Descender finished but it turns out the story is being continued in a new comic, Ascender, next year. This one will be more fantasy based that the sci-fi original.  WIN

Saga

Spoiler

they killed off the dad and announced in the backmatter that the series is going on hiatus until like 2020. LOSE

On 18/07/2018 at 20:21, Anne Summers said:

Just saw there is a Bloodborne comic released recently - any one read it and is it any good? I heard not-so-good things about the Dark Souls comics...

Sorry, bit of a late reply, but I've read the four issue miniseries and... it's alright. It's definitely an improvement over the Dark Souls comics, in that it actually features characters, monsters and locations from the game, unlike the DS ones. The writing's not terrible but not great either, with an interesting enough story. The art is suitably grimy.

If you can pick up the series cheap it's worth a read, but I wouldn't get too excited.

Anyone interested in something akin to a Souls comic, read Berserk. Not only a fantastic read but it actually inspired Demon's and Dark Souls. The environments, the atmosphere, the monsters, even the weapons certain characters use - all very very Souls-like. It's also just plain fun seeing where they got their ideas from :)

On 20/07/2018 at 10:56, OogyBoogy said:

Humble Bundle put together a giant Dungeons & Dragons comics bundle.

Slight tangent but for anyone who is more into playing D&D or similar RPGs, there's a new book coming out that seems to be a mix of comics and mini scenarios/dungeons.. "Rolled and Told"..

694921._SX360_QL80_TTD_.jpg

Issue 0 is free..

https://www.comixology.co.uk/Rolled-Told-0/digital-comic/694921

rolled__told_2_embed_-_2018.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
On 24/07/2018 at 12:37, scissorkicks said:

That's excellent.

King's Mister Miracle is still wowing me. Will be sad to see the series end.

I have just finished all ten Mr Miracle. 

Oh god i just love it so much what an amazing all round book.

If we don't get another mini-series straight off the bat i'll be annoyed as hell.

Also the t-shirts man, the t-shirts.

T-shirts picture in the spoilers because even though you cant read the dialogue well there are spoiler bits.

Spoiler

pjimage.thumb.jpg.b0ac8a33cea30387122a48a0a92fce03.jpg

A few days ago I was browsing blu-ray.com to check on 4k deals, when I noticed you could search for comic book deals. As I browsed through the list, I noticed a deal on a Lucky Luke comic on Amazon.

Browsing through a bit further I found Asterix comic books. All omnibusses (looks like three comics per book) and translated into English.

When my order came in, I was pleasantly surprised that it's indeed a full size comic book, not like those smaller editions you get when you order the tintin collection.

Now I have to get all 11 of them.

On 19/07/2018 at 09:31, Rowan Morrison said:

Digital doesn't work for me with comics, I don't think the tech is there at the moment. I'm fine with a Kindle for 'pure' text, but I don't want to be reading comics on an iPad or laptop screen

I'm the same. I'm fine with digital comics in theory, but in practice I just can't get the hang of reading them.  It might be that I don't actually have my own ipad / tablet or laptop, just a phone, which is a bit too pokey for me to read on (just got a new phone, and reading glasses, so might give it another go). I'm sat in front of a desktop with a big screen all day, and I want to be away from my desk when I sit down to read in the evenings.  That works fine with the kindle for books, but doesn't work for me for comics. I've got loads of unread digital comics that I've never found a comfortable way to actually read.

Interestingly we put out our Plok comic collections as digital comics, with a paperback version being a last minute optional extra version we added, but the actual sales have been 90%-95% paperback copies.

1 hour ago, Ste Pickford said:

I'm the same. I'm fine with digital comics in theory, but in practice I just can't get the hang of reading them.  It might be that I don't actually have my own ipad / tablet or laptop, just a phone, which is a bit too pokey for me to read on (just got a new phone, and reading glasses, so might give it another go). I'm sat in front of a desktop with a big screen all day, and I want to be away from my desk when I sit down to read in the evenings.  That works fine with the kindle for books, but doesn't work for me for comics. I've got loads of unread digital comics that I've never found a comfortable way to actually read.

Interestingly we put out our Plok comic collections as digital comics, with a paperback version being a last minute optional extra version we added, but the actual sales have been 90%-95% paperback copies.

Try it on a decent 10" tablet, it feels like the size of a real comic to me and works perfectly. Currently reading the entire Preacher run on my Galaxy TabA 2016, a relatively really cheap but also really decent tablet, and it's fantastic. Reading on a desktop screen sucks and reading comics on a phone is just silly - that's like saying you came to the conclusion chopsticks aren't for you after trying to use them with your feet. If you know anyone with a tablet you can borrow, try Perfect Viewer, a free app on the Google Play Store - put a cbr or cbz comic on there and see if you like it.

In other news, I never read Preacher before but it's fucking awesome, isn't it? Probably old news to you lot :lol: A while back I was introduced to Ennis by way of his incredible Punisher Max run. So I thought I should check out more of his stuff - turns out Preacher is just as awesome. I'm going to have to read every comic this fucker has written at this rate :lol: