The Watchtower - A thread for all comics

biglime

• 3 weeks later...

Well this is all kinds of fucked up. As readers of the excellent Rat Queens will be aware, the book changed artist from Roc Upchurch to Tess Fowler some time ago. What I wasn't aware of was the reasons behind this. Turns out that Upchurch had got into severe trouble with alcohol and had abused his wife and one of his children. His wife has been on record stating physical and emotional abuse and rape. And that since their separation he's had virtually no contact with his kids or paid any maintenance.

But now Tess Fowler has stated that she's been kicked off the series so that Upchurch can return. And she's clearly not happy about it as it all sounds kind of underhand.

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2016/05/15/artist-pushed-out-for-roc-upchurch-to-return-to-rat-queens/

So, an ostensibly feminist comic is pushing out a female artist in order to employ an abuser and rapist. Bravo, Image, bravo.

Image doesn't work like that on creator-owned books such as Rat Queens. They leave those decisions up to the creative team so it'll be all Wiebe and Upchurch (who is credited as co-creator). I'm guessing the balance of power lies with Wiebe though.

The thing about Rat Queens is that after that fresh, fun opening story, it quickly got worse and worse to the point where its recently announced hiatus is seen by more than a few as something of a mercy killing. After the scumbag co-creator artist left, his replacements unfortunately failed to live up to his work while the story and character arcs went nowhere interesting, leaving the whole thing feeling like a rapidly insufferable one-note joke that quickly wore thin without the expressive art of (the admittedly vile) Upchurch. This latest turn of events should hopefully just kill the whole sorry thing off for good.

And yeah, Image is just a publisher, the company's whole reason for existing was as an outlet for protecting creators' rights and ensuring control stays with them. This is all on Wiebe and Upchurch, through and through.

I personally think Geoff Johns is a very good super hero comic book writer.  He may not have the flair, panache and grand ideas of someone like Moore or Grant Morrison, but I don't think there is anything he has written for DC that I have found offensive in anyway.  His long runs on The Flash, Green Lantern and JSA were all pretty stella as has been his current Justice League run as well.

I read through all that having not read any DC for a few years wondering what half of it was about, but not seeing where the face palm would be assuming its because I'm not up to speed.

Then I got to the end :wacko:

Ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Hohohohohohohohohohohohohohohohohohohohohohohohohohohohohohoho

Hehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehe

"There’s not one Joker – there are three. The original, Jerry Robinson Joker, the Brian Bolland Killing Joke Joker, and the Scott Snyder/Greg Capullo New 52 Joker are all separate people who have operated as the Clown Prince of Crime."

:lol:

Talking about this with a friend today and they made the point that this is basically 'shipping Doctor Manhattan, but without any of the sexy bits.

Which reminds me, I still need to get to work on my fan sequel to 'Punisher Kills the Marvel Universe'- 'Matt Murdock Bangs the Marvel Universe.' It's exactly what you think it's going to be. The opening scene would be a three-way with Matt, Jean Grey and Emma Frost. Cyclops would be in the corner filming it.

In the end who the hell really cares apart from the most devoted DC fanboys(which seem quite happy about it all, if the Comic Book Resource forum is anything to go by).  As long as there are still some decent comics being published some crazy bat shit continuity doesn't make any difference to most people, including myself who mainly only buys DC comics these days(I refuse to spend the money Marvel charge for the God awful paper they use)

3 minutes ago, Charliemouse said:

In the end who the hell really cares apart from the most devoted DC fanboys(which seem quite happy about it all, if the Comic Book Resource forum is anything to go by).  As long as there are still some decent comics being published some crazy bat shit continuity doesn't make any difference to most people, including myself who mainly only buys DC comics these days(I refuse to spend the money Marvel charge for the God awful paper they use)

I believe the next crossover event involving the three different jokers is actually called Batshit Continuity.