The Watchtower - A thread for all comics

biglime

This is why I tend to stick to 'alternate timeline' stuff, like Old Man Logan. Also, although I love the characters, the singles being half adverts and the ridiculously splintered storylines puts me off investing any time or money in Marvel/DC heroes. I learned that with the New 52 (even though Animal Man and Swamp Thing were aces).

If you want stuff that worth reading my usual list is:

Invincible

Alan Moore's Swamp Thing run

Irredeemable

Planetary

Preacher

Locke and Key

Old Man Logan

Dark Knight Returns

the new TMNT from IDW

There's probably more but I need to go and look at my shelves. If I had to pick 3 to recommend over all others in that list it'd be Old Man Logan, Invincible and Swamp Thing. All are fucking stunning.

I'd also recommend Ed Brubaker and Sean Phillips "indie" stuff, listed below along with some other stuff that forms complete, self-contained stories.

Sleeper

Incognito (retreads some of the themes in Sleeper, but is outside of the Wildstorm universe, so no random cameos from characters you're expected to recognise)

Criminal

Thor - The Mighty Avenger (Roger Langridge and Chris Samnee)

Batman: Year One (Frank Miller and David Mazzucchelli)

Daredevil: Born Again (Frank Miller and David Mazzucchelli)

Marvel new stuff worth checking in Graphic Novel form:-

Hawkeye Volume 1 is out now!

Wolverine & The X-Men has a couple of trades out and is my favorite main x-title behind the reboot Uncanny.

Hickman's Avengers should have the first Volume out by now and is well worth a look.

DC Stuff:-

Batman Volume 1 (NDCU)

Court Of Owls Volume 1

Aquaman Volume 1

Indie Stuff (Meat & Bones):-

Chew 1 - 6 are out and around £6 each (bargain)

Saga Volume 1 (One of the best reads ever IMO)

Invincible 1 - 17 (Costly but worth it, people in this thread will back me up)

There's a ton of older story lines and stuff worth picking up and when i get five minutes i'll do a big list.

Easy rule to follow if there's more than one of us here talking about the same thing it's deffo worth getting see Saga and Hawkeye as good examples of this.

I'm reading Thor - The Mighty Avenger by Langridge and Samnee. It's glorious so far and there's some really whimsical stuff in there. The guest appearances have been handled really well, my favourite so far being the issue with Captain Britain. Each issue has these moments that just bring a smile to my face. It sort of reminds me of the early days of Waid's Daredevil in that regard. I wish more comics went down that path. About halfway through the complete collection, and the plaudits its received are well deserved.

I read a couple of my purchases this weekend.

Batman Inc was a bit confusing for a variety of reasons, some of which were cleared up by the character explanations at the end.

Civil War I read cover to cover without putting it down. I didn't know who a lot of the characters were but knew enough about the important ones to not run into any issues. Some nice twists even for a noob.

Will probably start Avengers vs X-Men next.

I just love Hawkeye to bits. It's like the best indie comic ever but it's a mainstream Marvel title. The new issues too. ALL THE RED. IT WAS LOVELY. Seriously Dandy. Get Hawkeye. All you need to know is he dresses in purple and uses a bow and he's in the Avengers.

Also. Get Nextwave Agents of Hate. If you have a Marvel U subscription it's in there.

That's the non-continuity laughfest one, right? Really got to check that out, it sounds right up my alley.

That's the one. The whole thing is available in one relatively slim trade. Quite handy but also quite sad at the same time.

"Welcome to Panel Syndicate, where artist Marcos Martin and writer Brian K. Vaughan deliver original comics directly to readers around the world, who pay whatever the hell they want for each DRM-free issue. Our first new storyline is THE PRIVATE EYE, a forward-looking mystery we created with colorist Muntsa Vicente. Set in a future where privacy is considered a sacred right and everyone has a secret identity, The Private Eye is a serialized sci-fi detective story for mature readers. You can download our 32-page first issue right now, for any price you think is fair. 100% of your payments go directly into our greedy mitts and will help fund the rest of a story that we're both very proud of (we hope there will be around 10 issues total; an old-school "maxiseries!"), so thanks for reading..."

tpeye_0.jpg

Issue01.13pre.jpg

Brian K. Vaughan and Marcos Martin? I'm there. I just wish they'd do a nice oversized collected edition at the end of it. Doesn't sound like they have any plans for that at all

--

Finished off Thor: The Mighty Avenger. The whole thing is a strong collection of stories and team-ups (the FCBD issue with Captain America is wonderful). The only downside is that it ends with some things up in the air. There's clearly more stuff they were planning for one of the villains. A shame we'll probably never see that.

Like Dan Slott and Ty Templeton's Spider-man and the Human Torch mini-series I can see myself re-reading this collection again and again. Don't regret the purchase one bit. I'm going to have to hunt down more of Langridge's work I think. Starting with some of the Muppets comics or maybe Snarked.

MTMTE #15

Fuck me that was tearful, i actually think this is the most depressing issue of anything I've ever read.

Pipes, Magnus and Rewind (whom maybe the first ever gay transformer).

Fucking hell, i can't believe how many died it was like Last Stand Of The Wreckers all over again.

Although a little rumor is that this is in fact all in Chromedome's head and he's still in the chamber.

I got a couple of new comics today

The Essential and Showcase books are a cheap goldmine and such fun comics to read. I'm currently in the middle of the kree/skrull war in Avengers and am loving the Neal Adams art :)

It's a shame (for us readers not the artists) that DC have had such a good royalties system for creators as alot of the Showcase series have stalled due to further volumes being not profitable enough unless the creators come to new agreements for these pulp reprints.

I would love a Batman run of Showcase volumes similar to where Marvel are now with their Essentials. For example the X-Men volumes now have a continual run from 1975's Giant Size X-Men through to Claremont and Jim Lee's X-Men #1 in 1991. I have a similar stack or 3 to the pic above and have made a vow not to buy anymore until I've read the ones I have!

Bought a copy of The Black Glove Deluxe Edition - the one that collects the first two arcs in Grant Morrison's Batman run, Batman & Son and The Black Glove. I read the former a few years ago, but that's as far as I've ever got into his run. Looking forward to getting stuck in! :D

Anyone listen to the new Fatman on Batman? I find Kevin Smith a bit hard to take sometimes but this week he has Grant Morrison on and it's very good. Morrison is pretty much my favourite writer so I could listen to him forever.

Yeah, it's brilliant. Smith ruins a tiny bit by being stoned and going on about how awesome Morrison is, but Morrison takes it all in his amused stride. Very funny, very interesting stuff.

For anyone who's interested this week is mostly about Morrison's early life, how he got into comics taking it pretty much up to Animal Man / Doom Patrol era, and then a great detour into his 'alien abduction' experience in Katmandu and some genuinely funny chat about his attempts to use magic and contact different deities. Next week is all going to be about him and Batman.

I listened to those - here are links to the two parts. I agree that Smith's excessive fawning is the biggest problem with his interviewing, but I could listen to Morrison talk all day. I loved the bit at the end of the first one where he's talking about what really made The Dark Knight Returns special was how operatic it gets towards the end, and how critics and creators took the wrong lessons from it by focusing on the "realism". And then at the end of the second one where Smith comments that he found his accent easier to understand than he expected, and Morrison responds with an example of truly unintelligible Glaswegian. :D

I listened to those - here are links to the two parts. I agree that Smith's excessive fawning is the biggest problem with his interviewing, but I could listen to Morrison talk all day. I loved the bit at the end of the first one where he's talking about what really made The Dark Knight Returns special was how operatic it gets towards the end, and how critics and creators took the wrong lessons from it by focusing on the "realism". And then at the end of the second one where Smith comments that he found his accent easier to understand than he expected, and Morrison responds with an example of truly unintelligible Glaswegian. :D

Thank you so much for this.

Young Avengers #3

Poor Loki just can't catch a break, everyone is convinced he's up to no good. So, having been rejected after asking to borrow *reality warping power incarnate* for a measly 10 minutes, he decides to explain to a highly suspicious Wiccan, Hulkling and Miss America Chavez what a decent little guy he actually is in simple, easy to understand terms:

post-355-0-74185700-1364493328_thumb.jpg

Totally trustworthy, uh-huh, yup.

The Essential and Showcase books are a cheap goldmine and such fun comics to read. I'm currently in the middle of the kree/skrull war in Avengers and am loving the Neal Adams art :)

It's absolutely insane, it's taken me a week to read the first volume of Avengers, not through lack of interest but through sheer content. It's surprising just how much is packed into each chapter, you can't flick through it at any pace unless you want to miss lots of detail. As an example, Hawkeye's constant hitting on Scarlet Witch or trolling Captain America.

I can safely put off filling in the gaps for other series because it will take me at least a month to get to volume 7 of Avengers. That will still leave me with 20 volumes.