The Watchtower - A thread for all comics

biglime

Anyone listen to the new Fatman on Batman? I find Kevin Smith a bit hard to take sometimes but this week he has Grant Morrison on and it's very good. Morrison is pretty much my favourite writer so I could listen to him forever.

Yeah, it's brilliant. Smith ruins a tiny bit by being stoned and going on about how awesome Morrison is, but Morrison takes it all in his amused stride. Very funny, very interesting stuff.

For anyone who's interested this week is mostly about Morrison's early life, how he got into comics taking it pretty much up to Animal Man / Doom Patrol era, and then a great detour into his 'alien abduction' experience in Katmandu and some genuinely funny chat about his attempts to use magic and contact different deities. Next week is all going to be about him and Batman.

In an odd turn of events, an ex has kindly provided me with a metric shitload of old UK comics on CD - Battle (or Action, can never remember which, just that there's a lot of "ACHTUNG ENGLANDERS!" in it), Scream and some apparent attempt to create a girls' version of 2000 AD called Misty, all strange sci-fi/horror stuff.

It's Scream I really wanted though, because damn, it's got some good shit. A story where Dracula steals a Red Army uniform and legs it over the Berlin Wall, pretending to be a defector to the west so he can get his fangs into our juicy English beef. It's such a wicked idea, with a bit more work we could have Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Vampire or something.

On a more hilarious note, there's another story called TERROR OF THE CATS, where something has sent all Britain's cats into a mental, murderous rage. The best thing about it is that it's played completely straight, which just makes it all the funnier as the protagonists grimly try and navigate the apo-cat-lypse without getting their faces clawed off.

And of course there's The Thirteenth Floor, where a state of the art council tower block computer takes looking after its tenants deadly seriously, sending loan sharks, skinheads and a family of thieves to its non-existent 13th floor and killing them in a variety of ways before dumping them in the lift in a not at all suspicious fashion.

If only all housing agents were so dutiful.

Yeah, it's brilliant. Smith ruins a tiny bit by being stoned and going on about how awesome Morrison is, but Morrison takes it all in his amused stride. Very funny, very interesting stuff.

For anyone who's interested this week is mostly about Morrison's early life, how he got into comics taking it pretty much up to Animal Man / Doom Patrol era, and then a great detour into his 'alien abduction' experience in Katmandu and some genuinely funny chat about his attempts to use magic and contact different deities. Next week is all going to be about him and Batman.

Yeah, it covers much of the same ground as the excellent Talking With Gods documentary. I'm really looking forward to part two and his Batman stuff.

I got a real laugh out of stoned Kevin Smith not being able to grasp the concept of 2000AD.

In an odd turn of events, an ex has kindly provided me with a metric shitload of old UK comics on CD - Battle (or Action, can never remember which, just that there's a lot of "ACHTUNG ENGLANDERS!" in it), Scream and some apparent attempt to create a girls' version of 2000 AD called Misty, all strange sci-fi/horror stuff.

It's Scream I really wanted though, because damn, it's got some good shit. A story where Dracula steals a Red Army uniform and legs it over the Berlin Wall, pretending to be a defector to the west so he can get his fangs into our juicy English beef. It's such a wicked idea, with a bit more work we could have Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Vampire or something.

On a more hilarious note, there's another story called TERROR OF THE CATS, where something has sent all Britain's cats into a mental, murderous rage. The best thing about it is that it's played completely straight, which just makes it all the funnier as the protagonists grimly try and navigate the apo-cat-lypse without getting their faces clawed off.

And of course there's The Thirteenth Floor, where a state of the art council tower block computer takes looking after its tenants deadly seriously, sending loan sharks, skinheads and a family of thieves to its non-existent 13th floor and killing them in a variety of ways before dumping them in the lift in a not at all suspicious fashion.

If only all housing agents were so dutiful.

Any chance you could upload the scream comics please?

What I've read of this week's DC stuff has excited me again. We're starting to get very overt hints of where things are going in the next year. First up though standalone

Legion of Super Heroes. Since the reboot LSH has been utterly forgettable. Great clean LSH art but dull stories that I can barely remember. This issue is the first in ages where I've got to the end and immediately wanted more. Not really for LSH newbies (You'd still need to read from the relaunch) but cracking art and I think it's really helping having Giffen helping on the plotting. I recommend DC fans yarr a copy to have a look at the art.

Justice League. Thank fucking fuck the boring arse Atlantis story is over. Dull as dishwater. Which is a shame since the Aquaman title started with so much promise. However the last page of JL gave us an intriguing look at things to come. Shame the entire run so far has been like LSH. Forgettable.

Now onto the really good stuff.

Justice League of America and Vibe. Spoiler time

The US has tasked Amanda Waller (The awfully rebooted) to create a Justice League of their own. Kind of like the failed attempt by the UN with Justice League international but the idea would be the new league doesn't suck. Of course Amanda being Amanda staffs it with a bunch of people who'd be better suited in Suicide Squad, a Stargirl who's scared of the dark, a clearly insane Martian Manhunter, Vibe and puts Steve Trevor in charge :) This is where things start linking. While the league is there to take down the Justice League if it needs to (How the fuck they expect to do that is beyond me) we're getting strong prods that the real threat is going to be from alternate universes. This is where Vibe comes in. Preboot Vibe sucked. He was a caricature of a latino during a failed Justice League series who could make things vibrate. Now his origin has changed and with it his powers. He still makes thing vibrate but now it's based on the sort of vibrational frequences the Flash uses. Vibe can sense incursions from other realities and deal with them. Also we hear that Booster has vanished. Possibly in time. Given hints in other comics I suspect the booster from this universe is the same one from the preboot series and he's not letting on.

Action Comics. Nope. No fucking clue what Morrison is doing anymore. Couldn't make head nor tail of it. However

Alternative universes and timelines again. Also see Morrison's next DC project

Green Lantern titles

Thank fuck. The Third army story has been going for what felt like ice ages. Now it's finally moved into endgame. The third army has been stopped. Not by the heroes but by the First Lantern who shows us just why he was locked up in the first place. With alternate universes/timelines. The bloody psycho. Is anyone seeing a theme yet? Good three issues though.

I'm interested again. The DCU still doesn't feel like a cohesive unit yet but it's starting to make inroads. I just hope the writers can start making inroads on the boring stories.

Oh and Giffen did the cover for LSH. It's lovely :)

Bit of a splurge recently:

Boys 12: Blow the Bloody Doors Off - It was fine. Bit sad, but fine. Ennis really can't finish shit, can he?

Transmetroplitan 2: Lust for Life - brilliant. How did I miss this? How come no-one brow beat me into buying it? It's bloody marvelous.

TMNT 4: Sins of the Father - the TMNT comic is worth reading because it's a comic comic. No blood, gore, swearing, just good action and great stories backed with cool, scribbly artwork.

There was a fourth one but I'm buggered if I can find it now. Still, good reads all round.

Moose. Transmet is one of the single greatest comics ever written. I heard about it years ago, bought the first volume from my local Forbidden Planet, read it that night and went back the next day to buy the rest. The guy who worked there said "I thought you'd be back"

To me, my Filthy Assistants! I *heart* Spider. Especially when he gets the Chair Leg of Truth out for a spin. You're in for a good time, Moose.

Paddy - I'll see about uploading Scream sometime next week, I'm in the middle of moving at the moment so things are a tad manic. Speaking of which, I can't believe I forgot about MONSTER! that's a hell of a tale for a kids' weekly.

I seem to be buying up shit I already own in collected form. First up was the recent hardback of Mark Waid's Daredevil run up to issue 10, including the .1 issue and the Spider-Man crossover.

It's still amazing

. Second was Thor: The Mighty Avenger by Roger Langridge and Chris Samnee. Criminally underrated comic that was an all-ages affair brilliantly written and wonderfully drawn. Marvel fucked up royally with that one - a comic that would have been worth preserving even if sales were a little low. I think it would have eventually picked up through word-of-mouth as it was critically acclaimed month after month. *sighs*

To me, my Filthy Assistants! I *heart* Spider. Especially when he gets the Chair Leg of Truth out for a spin. You're in for a good time, Moose.

Paddy - I'll see about uploading Scream sometime next week, I'm in the middle of moving at the moment so things are a tad manic. Speaking of which, I can't believe I forgot about MONSTER! that's a hell of a tale for a kids' weekly.

That would be awesome mate, no pressure though. Yeah i remember buying scream when it came out, free dracula fangs and stuff!! That and hammer horrors were the best things ever as a kid!!

I seem to be buying up shit I already own in collected form. First up was the recent hardback of Mark Waid's Daredevil run up to issue 10, including the .1 issue and the Spider-Man crossover.

It's still amazing

. Second was Thor: The Mighty Avenger by Roger Langridge and Chris Samnee. Criminally underrated comic that was an all-ages affair brilliantly written and wonderfully drawn. Marvel fucked up royally with that one - a comic that would have been worth preserving even if sales were a little low. I think it would have eventually picked up through word-of-mouth as it was critically acclaimed month after month. *sighs*

That Thor: The Mighty Avenger complete collection is what I may be getting next. I've heard very positive stuff about almost all of Langridge's work (his Muppets stuff, Popeye, Snarked, etc.). I figure this is a good chance to check it out in one trade. Plus Samneee artwork is a huge factor as well.

That Thor: The Mighty Avenger complete collection is what I may be getting next. I've heard very positive stuff about almost all of Langridge's work (his Muppets stuff, Popeye, Snarked, etc.). I figure this is a good chance to check it out in one trade. Plus Samneee artwork is a huge factor as well.

Excellent stuff. I hope you enjoy it! :)

Out of pure interest, on the Batman and Robin spoiler which websites seem to be spoiling by putting into the damn titles of the stories,

This is all completely bizarre timing isn't it? Or am I confused. Is B and R an elseworlds style title? Will the characters death spill over to the other comics or will it be contained there?

So confused. After the damp squibbiness of the end of Death of the Family to then, within weeks, go to a major death seems very strange.

Not that I care that much - I'm now done with DC I think. Needed to trim my weekly pull list and the New 52/49/42/whatever and mutli arc storylines that I could care less about (Rotworld vs H'El on Earth vs Third Army vs Death of Family versus whatever else they're doing) have turned the entire line into a complete fiasco... )

But even so: completely confused by the timing...

the spoiler is for Batman Incorporated. I'll continue in spoiler tags

B&R is regular continuity as is B:I. Yes it'll spill over to the rest of the titles. No DC still haven't moved beyond "Someone has to die" as a way of making drama. The fucking losers. I liked that character too

More Batman Inc...

I think it's all Morrison this new plot-line. He seems to be given Batman Inc to finish off his storylines before he leaves DC for good. The rest of DC have already moved on, thus why this and Death in the Family weren't connected, just knowing that he was probably going to do this at the end of his run.

It sucks. It's going to make me stop reading Batman. I can't help but think that fact also helped Morrison pull the trigger.

Ok guys and gals,Can anyone get me a copy of this weeks Batman Inc please?

My usual shop has apparently only had "half their stock" (which means i'm selling on ebay for a few extra pounds) so i now am fucked on finishing my collection cause tbh i don't want a second print in there.

Can anyone sort me out and ill pay comic, postage and a bit extra?

Can do paypal or bank transfer??

Pretty please??

More Batman Inc...

I think it's all Morrison this new plot-line. He seems to be given Batman Inc to finish off his storylines before he leaves DC for good. The rest of DC have already moved on, thus why this and Death in the Family weren't connected, just knowing that he was probably going to do this at the end of his run.

It sucks. It's going to make me stop reading Batman. I can't help but think that fact also helped Morrison pull the trigger.

Morrison has one more project doesn't he?

http://www.comicsall...rt-morrisoncon/

It's still amazing

. Second was Thor: The Mighty Avenger by Roger Langridge and Chris Samnee. Criminally underrated comic that was an all-ages affair brilliantly written and wonderfully drawn. Marvel fucked up royally with that one - a comic that would have been worth preserving even if sales were a little lowI think it would have eventually picked up through word-of-mouth as it was critically acclaimed month after month. *sighs*

I got Daredevil too, god it's good. It's like Matt Murdock is trying to be Wally West. Waid you devil ^_^

Ok guys and gals,Can anyone get me a copy of this weeks Batman Inc please?

My usual shop has apparently only had "half their stock" (which means i'm selling on ebay for a few extra pounds) so i now am fucked on finishing my collection cause tbh i don't want a second print in there.

Can anyone sort me out and ill pay comic, postage and a bit extra?

Can do paypal or bank transfer??

Pretty please??

I'll be at my LCS before work tomorrow, I'll pick up a second copy if I can and if they havn't put them all on ebay aswell.