biglime

The Watchtower - A thread for all comics

Gonna give Immortal Hulk a go - thanks thread.

Anybody reading CODA? I got the first volume and absolutely love it. The art style and chiefly the colouring is right up my street, very vibrant stuff. It puts a nice twist on the post apocalypse with an antihero unicorn whisperer trying to make his way in the new world. The stuff with the wizard is superb.

On 09/05/2019 at 16:28, Chosty said:

This might end up needing to be moved to the trading folder, but I've recently unearthed a box of my old comics, and I'm looking to sell them to clear some space, but could do with some advice on costings, whether to split, etc. They're mainly Dark Horse stuff from the early 90s, all in very good condition (I know there's specific terminology used to describe the condition of comics but that seems to be a minefield).

• Aliens: volume 2, monthly, issues 1-21
  • Bram Stoker's Dracula, fortnightly, issues 1-10
  • Aliens: Earth War (single volume)
  • Aliens: Genocide (4 volumes)
  • Alien3 (3 volumes)
  • Predator: Big Game (4 volumes)
  • The Thing from Another World: two-volume follow on to the Carpenter film
  • Batman vs. Predator (3 volumes)
  • Terminator: The Enemy Within (3 volumes)
  • A few issues of 'Concrete' - some bloke who got turned into golem-like being.

Anything there of much worth?

Depending on the condition / price i would possibly take those "The Thing From Another World" off your hands :)

Immortal Hulk 17... I am left speechless. No speech. It's... goddamn. Bennett is the new Wrightson. 

Also for those waiting for the trades, volume 3 is also out today, collecting up to issue 15.

But Ewing. Goddamn :wub:

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

Immortal Hulk 17... I am left speechless. No speech. It's... goddamn. Bennett is the new Wrightson. 

Also for those waiting for the trades, volume 3 is also out today, collecting up to issue 15.

To comixology!

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

Hardcover soon I hope. 

Lolz starship trooper bugs :lol:

Immortal Hulk 17 spoolers, was 

Spoiler

the Abomination doing the alt-right okay symbol with his face-fingers?

10 hours ago, cassidy said:

Hardcover soon I hope. 

October, I'm afraid :( But at least it collects the first 10 issues instead of just the first 5.

Garth Ennis' Sara is out in trade now (previously it was just a expensive slipcase full of single issues). Definitely one to pick up if you like his War Stories / Battlefields output.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

October, I'm afraid :( But at least it collects the first 10 issues instead of just the first 5.

That's an expensive month for me then. 

Absolute Swamp Thing 

Batman Snyder omni 

Immortal Hulk omni 

Just ordered Harrow County hardcover 1&2 and the rest of Nailbiter. 

Volumes 1 and 2 of the utterly brilliant Brink are half price on the 2000AD online shop today, to celebrate volume 3 coming out.

I've been waiting on the Hulk TPB too, to start getting the issues as soon as they come out.

I wasn't sold on the first 6 episodes. It was only good and solid, but then they build and build on it so you can cope with the insane stuff. 

But also, I think it just being a good book with no gimmicks, massive events or feeling of an inevitable reboot on the next crossover, is probably it's biggest strength. 

I agree with all of that. By the third TPB shit is getting crazy cuckoo bananapants but because it feels inline with what's been built up before it you just slide on into it. It's one of the best comics that I've read in a very long time.

19 hours ago, cassidy said:

That's an expensive month for me then. 

Absolute Swamp Thing 

Batman Snyder omni 

Immortal Hulk omni 

Just ordered Harrow County hardcover 1&2 and the rest of Nailbiter. 

Same here.

I still need to get Harrow County as well, I have the first 6 issues in singles and I really need to read the rest of it as I have loved it so far.

13 minutes ago, Charliemouse said:

Same here.

I still need to get Harrow County as well, I have the first 6 issues in singles and I really need to read the rest of it as I have loved it so far.

Library editions are £22 on Amazon at the moment. Not a bad price at all. 

I really have to get the rest of the Sixth Gun too but their so bloody large they don't even fit a Kallax. So stopped with the first one. 

I have fallen really behind getting the lovely hardcover books Image publish.  Just checking Amazon, it seems I need to buy:

Nailbiter Vol 3

Paper Girls Vol 2

Big Hard Sex Criminals Vol 2

Deadly Class Vol 2

And the 3rd volume of Saga is out in a few weeks too.

Recently all I have been buying is Marvel Epic Collections, which is easily my favourite way to collect Marvel now.

Only thing I aint got there is Sex Criminals but that's on my wishlist. 

Black Magick Vol1 is out end of May as well and I've not read an issue but thought I'd try it as it's well receive and Rucka is pretty great.

Can't wait for Saga vol 3 as I've not read any issues past vol2. 

The epic collections are softcover aren't they? Was tempted by the Busiek Conan one's. 

Black Magick is amazing, so that's another book to add to my list.

And yes, the epic collections are softcovers, I mainly get them as they represent really good value for money.  Usually they have at least 15 issues for around 20 quid.  They also look really nice all lined up on my shelf as well.

I think Immortal Hulk is my actual real kryptonite. I switched to digital completely because of real life practical reasons (wife + small apartment + kid = no space) but I find myself buying every Immortal Hulk paperback. And I already know that I'm going to ask for the hardcover version for my birthday :unsure: Long way of saying that the postie popped by just to now to give me my shiny new Immortal Hulk volume 3: Hulk in Hell :)

• Upvote 2

Nice collection you have there Cassidy, I am especially jealous of your Fear Agent books as they are out of print now and the first volume can go for close to 200 pound these days.

As promised I will share my Kallax of comic books too.

20190518_163257.thumb.jpg.5fa6762d11a108fea38a56c8602ecd99.jpg20190518_163453.thumb.jpg.940aa9bf13c115040da249aff131d13d.jpg

• Upvote 3

Well yours is looking pretty awesome too.

My Fear Agents won't be worth that much as they were badly packaged by Amazon and have quite the dings in the cover. Bloody Amazon packaging. 

I thought my Ghostbusters HC was the most expensive in my collection as  Mass hysteria is oop and going for £900 on Amazon. About £200 on ebay. Wtf?? 

Harrow County library edition is an utter delight btw That water coloured artwork is just wow and the story is a cracker. 

How do you guys store your single issue collections? I have boxes and boxes of bagged and carded stuff in the loft which is pretty impractical and inaccessible. 

Now I’ve started collecting the Archie Horror stuff I’d like to bind it nicely and give it to my wife as a present.

This guy knows his onions, but does anyone have a go to binder they use?

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/marvelmasterworksfansite/my-alternative-to-comic-binding-enclosed-binders-t20989.html

I have sold most of my singles now, to fund my collected editions as while there's something special reading single issues, there isn't really a tidy and practical way to store them, apart from putting them away in boxes.

I have kept a few key issues though, my issue containing the  first appearance of Spider-Gwen is worth around 150 pound now, and thanks to the Spider-Verse film - and hopefully sequels, that price should keep going up and up.

I don't buy singles at all anymore and really need to sort out selling mine as I would like to do what Charlie says and convert to Omnis. 

I have about 400 stored in various locations through my house. Nothing of a lot of value mind. 

In fact if anyone is in the South Wales area and wants an instant comic book collection feel free to come visit. I'm sure a decent price could be arranged.