biglime

The Watchtower - A thread for all comics

2 hours ago, Butters said:

Has anyone tried Kieron Gillen's new book, 'Die'?

As much as i hate Gillen, i want to support the artist.

Brought the first one it's ok, as says in the notes its an adults version of the d&d cartoon.

Its very slow and a bit boring but the art is nice, im back for the second issue at least.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, The Eagle Lord said:

As much as i hate Gillen, i want to support the artist

I wasn't familiar with the artist, but I looked at the preview pages on Comixology and woah you weren't kidding - she's REALLY good. 

What's the problem with Gillen, out of interest?

25 minutes ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

I wasn't familiar with the artist, but I looked at the preview pages on Comixology and woah you weren't kidding - she's REALLY good. 

What's the problem with Gillen, out of interest?

I've had two incidents with him in person.

I'm a big believer in how you conduct yourself in person and at the beginning of your career defines you. 

Stephanie deserves everyone support anyway as i think she's fantastic. 

http://stephanie-hans.tumblr.com/

https://www.instagram.com/stephaniehansart/?hl=en

One of her illustrations of Magik will be my next tattoo.

• Upvote 1

It's pretty hard to track down past Marvel stories. Read through Planet Hulk, which was a not particularly interesting Battleworld story. Then after starting World War Hulk realised I'd read the wrong Planet Hulk and, after some research, needed to go back to issues 88 to 105 of Incredible Hulk to find what I was looking for. This Planet Hulk is really good.

Marvel Unlimited does a so-so job of helping you follow plots over titles, but Wikipedia becomes essential more often than it should.

On ‎31‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 20:33, Flub said:

That sucks. I bought the original collections in a Comixology sale. I haven't read them yet but I'd assumed they were straight collections of issues.

I've been reading BPRD and BPRD Hell on Earth recently. I hope Dark Horse do another sale soon because I really want to read Abe Sapien and Lobster Johnson now. Hell on Earth is particularly good.

Are the TMNT on Comixology the unedited originals?

2 minutes ago, womblingfree said:

Are the TMNT on Comixology the unedited originals?

I wouldn't know how to tell.

7 minutes ago, cassidy said:

Who is that wee Lantern? 

Cbr.com

Bendis has described the new Teen Lantern as a "Green Lantern hacker," possibly referring to how the young girl gains possession and control of one of the most powerful weapons in the DC Universe. Typically, a Green Lantern ring searches for a wearer who has an abundance of willpower, but Teen Lantern may find a way to bypass that requirement. Also, Teen Lantern appears to be a brown-skinned woman, which would have her follow in the footsteps of other recently created Green Lanterns like Simon Baz and Jessica Cruz

Anyone have a problem with how they’ve written “brown-skinned”?

1 hour ago, SeanR said:

Cbr.com

Anyone have a problem with how they’ve written “brown-skinned”?

If that were a noteworthy character trait, I have to assume that they would have also noted that she was 'white-skinned' if she were white. But I don't think that's the case, so yeah.

I enjoyed the issue. No fucking clue how the hell it fits into the current continuity mind given we'd had at least 4 superboys by this point. 2 replacements for Kon, one John and now Kon back. 

Not to mention this is the second Bart we've had.

Bendis is saying that all will be revealed gradually with each passing issue... but my guess is it probably won't (at least, not in any satisfactory way).

The man has a history of retconning virtually everything he touched at Marvel, and I always feel like he's the kind of prolific writer that throws so much shit at the wall that some times it occasionally sticks. This feels like one of those times where he doesn't care about explaining it, he just wants to tell a particular story and damn to everything that gets in the way (like the time he mucked around with the Guardians of the Galaxy - then he moved off it and most of the things got brushed under the carpet like it never happened).

After DC going through the Convergence and Rebirth stuff, it just feels weird for them to be letting him go down this route.

On 09/01/2019 at 20:42, Flub said:

A Deadly Class humble bundle has just gone up. First 7 volumes/35 issues

Recently bought the 1st volume in a Comixology sale. It's really good, so thanks for the heads up on this bargain.

For anyone considering, it works out to be about £12 for 35 issues of DRM free goodness :)

15 hours ago, Spatial said:

After DC going through the Convergence and Rebirth stuff, it just feels weird for them to be letting him go down this route.

DC are fucking crazy. Every few years they do something that lets them bring back the real DC multiverse. They did hypertime and countless others Convergence explicitly negated the destruction of the multiverse in the original crisis and yet they still for whatever reason insist on having those 52 universe bollocks. I just can't fathom it.

Now they've invented a multiverse that existed before the current one. So we've got three of the buggers now, Live, dark and pre. None of them the one they brought back in Convergence. Which makes Convergence an even bigger waste of money.

• Upvote 1

To be honest, I pay no attention to all the multiverse bollocks do and just enjoy the stories for what they are.

I can see why a lot of comic fans get pissed off with it all and the fact the continuity for the characters is all over the place, but I have only really been reading comics seriously for about 5 years so it doesn't bother me.

I myself do prefer the Marvel universe as a whole. but overall DC have published the better books. 

• Upvote 2

The funny thing is that with something like the original multiverse you can tell literally any fucking story you like (From Superman with a green lantern ring to Captain Carrot and the Zoo crew), have them unencumbered by anything else *and* at a moment's notice drag those characters into any other story if you want to. People fucking love a proper multiverse (Something marvel actually does quite well). DC on the other hand seem to have decided that they'll just be a cock tease for decades. It's frustrating and the usual excuse "It confuses people" is just bollocks. People who'll sit there and read comics week after week generally aren't knuckle draggers. They can handle parallel Earths :)

• Upvote 1

On 12/01/2019 at 07:56, NickC said:

Recently bought the 1st volume in a Comixology sale. It's really good, so thanks for the heads up on this bargain.

For anyone considering, it works out to be about £12 for 35 issues of DRM free goodness :)

I had the vol 1 hardcover for Xmas and it's a superb read. 

Young Justice 1 was ace loved the way Bendis just explained all the mutliverse stuff in a single panel. And I cannot fucking wait to see how they explain Mad Max Kon-El :)

Been brushing up on my Gem World knowledge via the wikis and stuff. 

Die 2 is starting to get good but didn't think the art was as good as the first one.

The Deadly Class bundle.is good and with the second episode of the TV show due soon it's a great way to catch up. If possible please aim your split towards The Mental Health Foundation they saved my life last year. And Redeemer and the comics team will be making some dollar from the TV show and I'm sure they won't mind the money going to a very good cause. 

• Upvote 1

Snyder's current run on the JLA is possibly the worst book I've read in years. No characters, no story, just adding painfully boring wooly concepts to a universe already stuffed full of them. Is anyone excited by the Still Force (like the opposite of Flash's Speed Force) and yet another type of Lantern (Purple Ultraviolet ones, wielding the power of Hidden Emotions, mostly shown by edgy tribal tattoos)?

The only good thing is one of Flash's baddies got turned into a baby and Gorilla Grodd is running around with him in one of those little harnesses. Love it.

Definitely not reading any more of this shyte.

You'd think you weren't into yet another multiverse that isn't the one people want with an attitude like that.

I lost track of what the fuck was going on in Justice League ages ago. 

I know it's another Marvel event but I'm looking forward to War of Realms purely because I enjoyed Dauterman's work on Mighty Thor.

Plus that panel as Malekith rides in on a tiger acting like the big man, and is the first to get Cap's shield right to the face :lol:

• Upvote 1

48 minutes ago, Flub said:

You'd think you weren't into yet another multiverse that isn't the one people want with an attitude like that.

I lost track of what the fuck was going on in Justice League ages ago. 

it's true, there's only one justice league I want to see

• Upvote 3