biglime

The Watchtower - A thread for all comics

On 30/12/2018 at 11:00, Nick R said:

An article about how much of TMNT - a comic that you'd assume would be pretty comprehensively collected, and almost permanently in print - is unavailable, or available only in edited form:

https://geekdad.com/2018/12/the-failure-of-media-preservation-and-teenage-mutant-ninja-turtles/

That sucks. I bought the original collections in a Comixology sale. I haven't read them yet but I'd assumed they were straight collections of issues.

I've been reading BPRD and BPRD Hell on Earth recently. I hope Dark Horse do another sale soon because I really want to read Abe Sapien and Lobster Johnson now. Hell on Earth is particularly good.

On 31/12/2018 at 20:33, Flub said:

That sucks. I bought the original collections in a Comixology sale. I haven't read them yet but I'd assumed they were straight collections of issues.

I've been reading BPRD and BPRD Hell on Earth recently. I hope Dark Horse do another sale soon because I really want to read Abe Sapien and Lobster Johnson now. Hell on Earth is particularly good.

That is a great and somewhat sad article.

As for a Hellboy sale theyll be one as soon as the movie gets closer!

12 minutes ago, The Eagle Lord said:

That is a great and somewhat sad article.

As for a Hellboy sale theyll be one as soon as the movie gets closer!

I'm not too fussed about Hellboy to be honest. I have the first two omnibus editions (Again bless you Comixology sales) and while the stories are good I didn't really get into them the way I did with BPRD. Thankfully I think all the Hellboy sales I've seen in the past have always included BPRD, Abe and Lobster as well as Hellboy.

30 minutes ago, The Eagle Lord said:

The BPRD stuff is fantastic but it the reading order alongside Abe gets a bit wobble but i dont know if thats because of the fucking delays with the printed stuff. 

The Abe stuff is all set after he leaves BPRD when Devon accuses him of being the frog antichrist isn't it? I love that they've basically fucked the planet big style in a way these comics don't do. The shit is proper wrecked.

Is there a Hellboy series that follows what he's doing while the frog apocalypse is happening? There's so many Hellboy trades I have no idea what to read.

The new Immortal Hulk, issue 11, is out today. And once again I feel compelled to post about it because of how much it impressed me, despite having promised myself not to fill up this thread too much with excited ramblings about the same series each month. But god-damn, if Ewing hasn't outdone himself again. A while ago I saw a comment somewhere that Immortal Hulk arguably out-Vertigoes Vertigo at the moment. Issue 11 makes me think back to that comment, because I think there's nothing 'arguably' about it anymore - with this issue it's a cold, hard fact. The way Ewing frames his hell, how it's 'below' (and thus far more sinister and darker) all interpretations of hell seen in the Marvel universe so far, and how all of that relates to not only the core definition of what the Hulk represents and his literal name - and tying all this seamlessly into ancient continuity at the same time - blows my mind in the same way as only the likes of Moore and Gaiman at the very height of their creative prowess have managed in all my decades of reading comics.

I can't wait to see where this goes. For those also reading: that last page is 

Spoiler

Brian Banner (Bruce's dead dad) talking to Bruce Banner's soul,

correct? 

Fantastic bonus effect of the excellent issue 11 of Immortal Hulk: it has pissed off the idiot comicgaters! Example below:

That's of course a fantastic take on the Hulk's anger and his rampages (she asked Hulk earlier in issue 5: "how can I be what you are?" - this is the follow-up to that. Turns out it wasn't as literal a question as everyone probably assumed), but the cg'ers are taking it personal. That's good.

Edit: the page without having to click through on Twitter:

IMG_20190103_070745.thumb.jpg.970264736f05749564f9bcb06cde400c.jpg

• Upvote 4

On 02/01/2019 at 01:12, Flub said:

The Abe stuff is all set after he leaves BPRD when Devon accuses him of being the frog antichrist isn't it? I love that they've basically fucked the planet big style in a way these comics don't do. The shit is proper wrecked.

Is there a Hellboy series that follows what he's doing while the frog apocalypse is happening? There's so many Hellboy trades I have no idea what to read.

Not that i can think of, however i did find this online for you. 

http://www.multiversitycomics.com/annotations/hellboy-reading-order-2018/

18 minutes ago, The Eagle Lord said:

Can you explain to me what they are complaining about?

Am i just being thick?

Stupid shit of course. Racism against white men. Tbh I didn't see this reaction coming at all, but it's nice when their stupidity is exposed.

2 minutes ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

Stupid shit of course. Racism against white men. Tbh I didn't see this reaction coming at all, but it's nice when their stupidity is exposed.

I really don't understand at all, i keep looking and rereading that page and i don't see anything wrong with anything there well except for the Hulk looking a little black face in the last panel. 

4 minutes ago, The Eagle Lord said:

I really don't understand at all, i keep looking and rereading that page and i don't see anything wrong with anything there well except for the Hulk looking a little black face in the last panel. 

Of course, you're a sane person. Hulk is looking emaciated because of what the Absorbing Man did to him 

When it all hits comixology cheap enough ill give it a read, i like The Hulk but in the same time there's so much to read these days. 

What was the story-line with the mohawked Hulk where if i remember rightly he was working with shield and was forcibly "curing" the other hulks?

1 hour ago, The Eagle Lord said:

When it all hits comixology cheap enough ill give it a read, i like The Hulk but in the same time there's so much to read these days. 

What was the story-line with the mohawked Hulk where if i remember rightly he was working with shield and was forcibly "curing" the other hulks?

Immortal Hulk is one of those exceptional series that I can recommend to anyone whether they like the character or not. You'll love it.

Hulk worked for Shield in the Indestructible Hulk run, but it's terrible. I can't think of any other comic in which it was so painfully apparent that the writer would rather write any other character than the main one. Avoid.

But you're thinking of the Omega Hulk run, which wasn't really good either imho but readable. Really smart mohawk Hulk (Mohulk?) goes around erasing the bazillion gamma Hulk-like creatures that Pak flooded the series with after his fantastic Planet Hulk story. Omega Hulk's biggest drawback is that it ends suddenly halfway through the story without any resolution for any of the plot threads. Thanks to the series getting cancelled to make room for Totally Awesome Hulk (the petulant teenage Hulk).

5 hours ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

Fantastic bonus effect of the excellent issue 11 of Immortal Hulk: it has pissed off the idiot comicgaters! Example below:

That's of course a fantastic take on the Hulk's anger and his rampages (she asked Hulk earlier in issue 5: "how can I be what you are?" - this is the follow-up to that. Turns out it wasn't as literal a question as everyone probably assumed), but the cg'ers are taking it personal. That's good.

Edit: the page without having to click through on Twitter:

IMG_20190103_070745.thumb.jpg.970264736f05749564f9bcb06cde400c.jpg

Oscar-Cropped-350x350.png

• Empathy 1

After seeing praise heaped on Aliens: Dead Orbit I picked it up yesterday. It’s a decent Aliens retelling but doesn’t do anything original at all. Not a patch on the original Aliens comic series IMO, which gave depth to the entire Aliens universe.

Got so lost on Comixology figuring out what to read that I re-subscribed to Marvel Unlimited again. Need something to tide me over until Immortal Hulk Vol 2 is out.

Started on I Am A Hero too, which is really good. Love how it develops the characters for ages before the zombies appear.

178D73BC-F948-4A11-ABD6-DEF74CC28D91.jpeg

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, womblingfree said:

Got so lost on Comixology figuring out what to read that I re-subscribed to Marvel Unlimited again. Need something to tide me over until Immortal Hulk Vol 2 is out.

Started on I Am A Hero too, which is really good. Love how it develops the characters for ages before the zombies appear.

178D73BC-F948-4A11-ABD6-DEF74CC28D91.jpeg

I have a paper copy of the first omnibus of that but I never got around to reading it (It's also huge). Tempted now.

I finished my four volumes of the Hellboy Omnibus. Overall I think I really liked it (Especially Hellboy in Hell). Is that it for his story now? Apart from the stuff they keep telling that's in his past obv.

37 minutes ago, Naieve said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Maybe..

Ennis has a new WW2 book out today, ‘Sara’. It’s fucking brilliant. 

It sounds great, love the premise, and I love me some Ennis military shit, but it's not on Comixology :(

I read the first volume of Immortal Hulk the other day, and it absolutely lived up to the hype. The highlight was the episode from all the different points of view, especially the cop who saw it all as 60s style comic action. Nuff said!

It’s so clearly a labour of love and I’m really looking forward to seeing where it all goes.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

It sounds great, love the premise, and I love me some Ennis military shit, but it's not on Comixology :(

Yeah the publisher has some weird ideas, it was in the shop as 6 floppies inside a cardboard slipcase for like £30 but as far as I know weren’t ever sold monthly. I’ll buy the trade whenever it comes out

• Upvote 1