biglime

The Watchtower - A thread for all comics

3 hours ago, Naieve said:

Oh yeah, Mr Miracle 11 was out yesterday and was a GLORIOUS lump of comic. 

Im fucking raging at the end of that issue. 

one more issue to wrap this up and if the ending is what path they are leading us too is what i think it is i will be so disappointed. 

I read the first 6 or 7 issues of Mr Miracle and then decided it was so good I'd save it for all of them to be out. And it's so fucking good. Can't wait to plow through it from the start.

The Batdonggate reminds me of the 90s when WH Smith though 2000AD should be shelved next to the Beano. Despite 2000ad running stories with plenty of full frontal hot man wang. None of this hidden in shadow like the BatPhallus but out there in broad daylight.

Up to issue 52 of The Boys and it's still so good, shocking and funny at the same time, wonderful characters, and just a goddamn great fucking story!

What I didn't realise is that the three omnibus collections (omnibi?) don't include the spin-off miniseries. The friendly folks here tipped me off to their existence but I failed to realise (and tbh I didn't Google it either) that these series fit neatly in the middle of continuity, between specific issues even. And they contain some pretty goddamn essential information! After issue 30 I was a bit confused by the occasional mention of Herogasm, it kept popping up and at first I assumed it was something that had been touched upon and I had simply forgotten. But around issue 40 it became too much, I googled it and yep - Herogasm was the miniseries that took place between issues 29 and 30! But like I said, it also turned out none of the miniseries are in the omnibi(?)...

Luckily two of the three paperbacks that collect the three miniseries are coincidentally on sale right now on Comixology, so I simply bought all three immediately. It's such a fantastic comic, it's worth it 

Long story short: herogasm was fantastic! Made me proper lol a few times, comics usually never do that to me. Thumbs up! 

Aaand that's The Boys all done! Fantastic stuff, really enjoyed that. I think I enjoyed it even more than Preacher, but it's a shame that The Boys lets itself down with a bunch of really horrendous guest artists throughout the series. What could've been if that Darick guy could've pencilled the whole series! Just for the consistency, even. But even so, I liked the story and the characters so much, that even the bad artwork couldn't spoil it.

Really looking forward to seeing what the tv version makes of this because bloody hell :lol:

So, after loving Punisher Max, Preacher, and now The Boys - are there any other Garth Ennis epic must-reads that you guys would recommend?

1 hour ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

Aaand that's The Boys all done! Fantastic stuff, really enjoyed that. I think I enjoyed it even more than Preacher, but it's a shame that The Boys lets itself down with a bunch of really horrendous guest artists throughout the series. What could've been if that Darick guy could've pencilled the whole series! Just for the consistency, even. But even so, I liked the story and the characters so much, that even the bad artwork couldn't spoil it.

Really looking forward to seeing what the tv version makes of this because bloody hell :lol:

So, after loving Punisher Max, Preacher, and now The Boys - are there any other Garth Ennis epic must-reads that you guys would recommend?

His War Stories series might be worth a look. Single issue stories with a different artist each issue. There's a great one about the Spanish civil war drawn by Carlos Ezquerra.

• Upvote 1

Thanks for the Ennis recommendations everyone! All have been noted and it really depends on availability which one I'll read first.

As a palate cleanser I'm first going to read yet another famous and highly praised run that completely passed me by: Alan Moore's Swamp Thing (it was either that or Sandman:blush:). 

22 minutes ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

Thanks for the Ennis recommendations everyone! All have been noted and it really depends on availability which one I'll read first.

As a palate cleanser I'm first going to read yet another famous and highly praised run that completely passed me by: Alan Moore's Swamp Thing (it was either that or Sandman:blush:). 

I haven't read Swamp Thing ever. but no DC are finally releasing it in Absolute format, that will soon change.

I have to admit though I am about issue 30 of Sandman now and while I can appreciate it's a great piece of writing, I aint really enjoying it as much as I would hope.

I am also currently re-reading Gotham Central for about the 5th time, now that's one fucking amazing comic.

1 hour ago, Charliemouse said:

I haven't read Swamp Thing ever. but no DC are finally releasing it in Absolute format, that will soon change.

I have to admit though I am about issue 30 of Sandman now and while I can appreciate it's a great piece of writing, I aint really enjoying it as much as I would hope.

I am also currently re-reading Gotham Central for about the 5th time, now that's one fucking amazing comic.

I don't know shit about Swamp Thing either, only that Adrienne Barbeau gets her wonderful baps out in that shitty old Swamp Thing movie :) Looking forward to seeing what all the fuss is about!

I've never read Sandman either like I said, but in my experience it's never guaranteed that you'll like a series no matter how highly regarded it is. I had that with Transmetropolitan. It had even been highly recommended by a good friend of mine who generally has the same taste in comics, books, and videogames as me. But the main character just didn't do it for me and the story didn't grab me at all. My loss, I guess. Maybe Sandman or Swamp Thing will be the same. I hope not, but we shall see.

On the other hand, Preacher and Berserk  (to name two recent personal examples)lived up to their hype for me and then some :D

@Mr. Gerbik Alan Moore’s Swamp Thing run is wonderful. Right up there with the best he’s ever done.

Miracleman, the entire Moore run plus the first Neil Gaiman issue is also unmissable. No idea what it’s like after that but for me that first Gaiman issue was the perfect epilogue.

Agree and I am all over the Absolute edition when it arrives. 

I can still recall the exact moment aged 16 when an older friend placed the tpb of volume 1 into my hand and said read this. My mind was blown. Said friend had already introduced me to Halo Jones so I was eager to read more Moore. 

91 that was and my first visit to London.