Halo 2 Was A Bit Meh

peve

Wow, this thread is naaaaaasty. People here are getting really abusive about this, people take things so personally its like these guys are saying your momma is a whore. Man you guys are hardcare about halo and it doesn't seem to briging the best out of you!

-Jools

Dunno if anyone else already mentioned it..

But the French release is borked. The guy who made it messed up, there are textures etc missing as well as various other bits of content.

So I'd personally not touch the single player until the retail version comes out if I were you guys..

Where did you find this out from?

Ok. New impressions.

Click For Spoiler

Like i said before ; the game is slow. You walk slow. The Buggy trips are quite boring/slow and flying around in a ship is also way tooooooo slow. Even with the boost. Dogfights in the sky are lame.

The first couple of levels (4 á 5) are boring, ugly and most of the time indoors. After that it gets a little bit better but still way tooooooo much indoor. I leave it to you if you think it's a bad thing. I don't care if i'm indoor or in the jungle.

The cutscenes are superb. They look good, very good angles and it looks like there is a decent lipsync but the framerate drops at alot of points. Also textures do popup, a little bit stupid but nothing to worry about. And the French voiceacting sounds good. Yeah, shoot me. I don't understand nothing of it (hail subtitles) but it just sounds good. No dull shit etc.

The guns shoot fast. VERY fast. Not so cool imho, reloading every 5 seconds is just stupid.

To trigger a cutscene you need to kill every single beast for most of the time. And that can be frustrating because they get stuck in walls quite often. Or they just hide at the most stupid place there is and then you must find it and kill it. Sometimes you can't even press a button before every beast is dead.

Multiplayer ; don't know, didn't try.

I like the game but it's not a superb game. Hell no. It's plays like a normal FPS, it looks like a normal FPS and it's slower then the avarage FPS. But i do like it.. Strange. ;)

Oh yeah, i'd give it a 7.

This is hilarious!

People on this forum seem to slate even the best games... Now it turns out that their precious Halo 2 might not be as good as what was expected, so they turn to rubbish excuses - "It might be a hackers link". "It might be a beta".

No, its the finished, gold version, the only difference between this and the one you'll be buying is its in French...

Wake up and realise that maybe Bungie arent the gaming gods that people really think?

Or maybe they aren't excuses and the descriptions provided just don't add up to a gold game, no matter what the game? (bar a few shoddy exceptions)

By the sound of it, there seems to be things in there that simply don't work, things that don't work are usually taken out if they can't be made to work in time, also little things, like the single-player menu not being as good as in the first game... that makes absolutely no sense either considering how little time it would take to polish such small things.

No-one is making excuses, its just that there are rumours that this is a fecked version, and things don't quite add up, it may very well be shit, but this isn't proof...

Or maybe they aren't excuses and the descriptions provided just don't add up to a gold game, no matter what the game? (bar a few shoddy exceptions)

By the sound of it, there seems to be things in there that simply don't work, things that don't work are usually taken out if they can't be made to work in time, also little things, like the single-player menu not being as good as in the first game... that makes absolutely no sense either considering how little time it would take to polish such small things.

No-one is making excuses, its just that there are rumours that this is a fecked version, and things don't quite add up, it may very well be shit, but this isn't proof...

Well, as I've said before, I want Halo 2 to be a great game also, I enjoyed the first one a lot - I wasnt just posting because I WANT Halo 2 to be rubbish, I was just commenting on other peoples refusal to perhaps believe that it might be something other than perfect.

Just trying to take a neutral stance - too many fingers have been burnt before waiting on the holy grail of sequels...

I'm surprised to hear about graphical glitches. One of the more recent weekly updates laboured the point about testers going into every corner to check architecture, textures and the like. We won't know for sure until the 11th (or 9th) but maybe it is a slightly pre-gold version. Maybe

I'm surprised to hear about graphical glitches. One of the more recent weekly updates laboured the point about testers going into every corner to check architecture, textures and the like. We won't know for sure until the 11th (or 9th) but maybe it is a slightly pre-gold version. Maybe

exactly.

ITs odd to hear about popups, framerate problems and missing polygons when we know Bungie went to great lengths to polish Halo2. They finished ahead of shedule too, surly they' would have used all the time available to fix glitches etc

Sounds like this version could very well be pre-gold

Its been mentioned that this version is corrupt anyways, thats why you get terrible textures and textures popping up. As different textures are used depending on how close to the action they are.

Sorry, what does "corrupt" mean in this instance? Thanks.

Sorry, what does "corrupt" mean in this instance? Thanks.

I've just been and played the first two levels singleplayer at my mates..

Click For Spoiler

100% fucked up version. Upon completing the first level, all of the cutscenes were in wireframe or textureless models. There are missing textures on level two and a bit from what I've seen in level 3.

The checkpoints are messed up (half don't trigger leaving ya wondering around like an idiot waiting for something) and there are clipping problems all over.

Even all of that said, it's a very nice looking game and plays quite well too.

Voice acting appears to be all in.

First cutscenes are stunning. Awesome. Actually ADDs to the atmosphere them being in French.

Weapons apppear to be ace.

Multiplayer is fantastic, but Zanzibar's "secret" isn't exactly hard to get.

I've just been and played the first two levels singleplayer at my mates..

Click For Spoiler

100% fucked up version.  Upon completing the first level, all of the cutscenes were in wireframe or textureless models.  There are missing textures on level two and a bit from what I've seen in level 3.

The checkpoints are messed up (half don't trigger leaving ya wondering around like an idiot waiting for something) and there are clipping problems all over.

Even all of that said, it's a very nice looking game and plays quite well too.

Voice acting appears to be all in.

First cutscenes are stunning.  Awesome.  Actually ADDs to the atmosphere them being in French.

Weapons apppear to be ace.

Multiplayer is fantastic, but Zanzibar's "secret" isn't exactly hard to get.

Honestly now, are you more pissed off that you can't experience the true Halo 2 goodness until the 11th, or are you happy that you still have the fully working version to look forward to? Just curious :)

Oh and thanks for your answer Spunky Monkey.

Honestly now, are you more pissed off that you can't experience the true Halo 2 goodness until the 11th, or are you happy that you still have the fully working version to look forward to? Just curious :)

Oh and thanks for your answer Spunky Monkey.

Nah, doesn't bother me, hardly touched the game.

Already knew about the flood/libruary before I played Halo 1 and it was never a problem for me :P

It's things like knowing the KOTOR or Xenogears plot twist that ruins games for ya..

Really looking forward to 11th November now, can't wait to play the PROPER full version, then get on Live and trash you suckers :D

Guest jabberwock1977

My version seems fine so far, none of the problems that Ryan's experiencing. I've just started level 2. Actually quite like it in french..feels more sci-fi and otherworldly.

Click For Spoiler

fairly far in now, and it's in-fucking-sane, enormous multivehicle battles between me (and my crew) and the flood, leaping from covvy to Human vehicles and getting blasted to fuck by flood commandered tanks. The sheer scale of the action is pretty mind blowing, as is the draw distance and lack of slowdown (mostly) The only problem I've noted is it isn't always instantly obvious if a tank is being driven by your mates or enemy forces, which can lead to friendly fire before you notice the reticle is green, or death due to hesitation :)

There are bugs in multiplayer which make me think this isn't the final release.

I'll spoiler tag these because people are so crazy here, but they aren't really spoilers :)

Click For Spoiler
- if you are playing on Sys Link (like I did for 7 hours straight last night, eight player :P ), you cannot quit back to the men unless everyone leaves the lobby. You cannot change your personal setup unless you go back to the main menu and quit out of the sys-link, which is a real pain if people are elsewhere in the house and aren't quitting out.

- The screen is obviously split four ways in multiplayer, but if I'm using pad one and press A to join first - so my name is displayed in the top left - when the game starts the position is random - so I'm suddenly bottom right. You stay in this position until you quit back to the main menu.

I only had a quick look at single player, but multiplayer is amazing. I'm the biggest Halo geek in the world (paying over a grand to see it at E3 this year...), and I'm pleased with what I've seen so far.

pete, the new screen set up is so that you dont have to keep changing the wires around. The first person to press A gets top left, 2nd gets top right etc. Makes perfect sense when you get used to it. Its not a bug

I've played 12 hours of 8 player and my opinions have varied from bitter dissappointment to orgasmic excitement.

Some mild gameplay spoilers below (multiplayer only)

The new options smash it. Hows this for cool, Attack defend with FOUR TEAMS all vying for the flag and carving each other up trying to get it back to their individual bases.

You can change everything from how long the hill stays in one place to how fast you run when carrying a flag. you can change what weapons you start with in each hand before each round, turn powerups on and off etc. This is the best thing about the game.

Things I really DONT like (might as well get em out the way).

Its been dumbed down for live. Falling no longer hurts you OR pauses you, which takes out one tactical element.

Plasma rifles no longer stun you, which completely negates the point in using the gun at all.

The melee is fucked up. It lunges you forward and makes you look up, which throws your aim off. Also, it doesnt feel like its really connecting in the powerful way it did before. Coding someone is nowhere near as satisfying as in Halo 1.

In 4 player split, the sniper rifle doesnt draw the white line all the time. Making it hard to tell if you've fired or not.

No indicators to tell where you are being shot from.

Some bad draw in on textures.

Contentious things.

The shotgun, plasma rifle, rocket launcher and grenades have all been toned down. All explosives have less splash damage now. In all i think it makes the game more balanced, but it also make you feel way less powerful. The shotgun no longer feels anywhere near as crunchy and the grenades are not the be all and end all they were before.

Cant throw grenades as far and now they bounce more.

The SMG, plasma rifle and needler have very little to distinguish them now. They all just feel the same.

Taking the pistol out really does change the feel of the whole game.

Its harder to see people. the better textures and more detail on exlosions and smoke and stuff makes it quite disorientating. But you can turn that to your advantage and i like it.

Good stuff.

Dual Wielding. It really does add a massive tactical element to your fight. The plasma pistol has gone from being almost completely worthless to being absolutely lethal. Pistol and Plasma pistol makes for domination on the smaller maps.

New weapons are great fun to use.

The new vehicles are brilliant. The warthog is much more handy, and jacking vehicles is great fun. Also, you can now board an enemy vehicle, so they can be driving home with your flag and you can jump on for the ride and fight it out back at their base.

The maps. oh christ I love the new maps. I dont think theres anything i've seen to rival the beauty of damnation yet, but theres also nothing as crappy as derelict or chiron. ALL the maps have something to offer.

New gametypes. Buckets of em. Really interesting tuff like kill ratios, so you lose a point every time you die, meaning you have to stay alive AND kill to win. King of the hill has been reworked to make it ALMOST as good as perfect darks version and theres just SO MUCH to investigate.

Graphics. Goes without saying. They're beautiful.

So after one day, we all love it. I was the most critical out of everyone and there seemed to be a fair bit of denial going on. I do think its more 'quakey' now, but its also groundbreaking in its own way. It even reminded me of tribes in places.

Multi player is great in its own right and I need to play it more and with more people but I am wondering if they didn't throw at least a little bit of the baby out with the bath water. Of course they added a few pieces of a new baby, I just hope extended play isn't going to reveal this hybrid as Frankenstein's monster. Mixed analogies aside, I am going to love the multi player and in some ways already do but there are going to be things that I miss about the original and I honestly didn't expect that to be the case. Maybe I'm still naieve. Loving it but need more time. I'm interested to hear that kerraig didn't like chiron much, I too thought it was pants. Derelict though?!? I'm missing hang em high.

Has anyone seen any of the new vehicles yet? How about the Warthog with caterpillar tracks designed for snow, did that make it in?

Also, is the scale of the levels as vast as Bungie said they would be? Any large scale epic outdoor battles that we should be looking forward too? What Earth locations are in there apart from New Mombassa?

And one last thing - are the visuals on par with Riddick?

Sniffle, Just completed the game after playing non stop for 10 hours (I did some levels on Co-Op) and I have to say I'm rather dissapointed with it.

I wont go into detail too much over my experience with it, but after the credits rolled I just had a "What the hell did they do for 3 years?" moment. Probably spiffing up the graphics as they are just stunning (I thought they had used CG for the Cutscenes but I was wrong :ph34r: )but I just can't help but feel that something is lacking so far. ;) Even the soundtrack left me slightly cold, especially

Click For Spoiler
when that tune from the Breaking Benjamin song just came out of nowhere and sounded horribly misplaced.

I guess my problem with the game is that it just felt a bit average, but perhaps a higher difficulty and having it in english will improve matters, you do miss those cheeky marines quips and Sgt Johnsons bitch slapping voice.

The multiplayer is ace though. ;)