Star Wars: Prequel Discussion Thread (aka: wtf were you thinking George?)

I think it starts quite well - I like the space battle going on. 

After that though, it's pretty much downhill, culminating in the whole 

'Where's Padme...NOOOOoooooo!' thing which is pretty much the most appalling thing ever.

It's amazing that a movie that features Jar Jar has the least cringeworthy moments on average of the three movies. Jake Lloyd and him don't have a decent line to read in the entire thing, but it's still better than the sand crap in Clones or Obi Wan and Anakin screaming exposition at each other.

EP 3 is the best of a bad bunch, but it is still very very bad. 

I can't watch EP 3 anymore, the fight scene between Samuel L Jackson and Palpatine is camp as fuck, and it turns it into something that is totally laughable.

Thankfully the way TFA is structured, there is absolutely no reason to acknowledge the prequels exist anymore or spend any more time with them. Unless by some shit street way Jango Fett (Jango) and JarJar somehow end up in the next few episodes.

24 minutes ago, Douche Bigelow said:

Damning with faint praise. 

I do agree, though. That extended pod race scene is balls-out fantastic. 

It's the thing with all of them to a certain degree...there are moments in all those films that I think are absolutely wonderful from a visual point of view. I like the way the films have that 'clean' look to them - smacks of a different time (a more...civilised age shall we say ;) ). 

It's just that the story is fucking dire, and the dialogue is utterly atrocious.

You could have given the films to pretty much anyone else out there to write and you'd have had a better series of films. 

Even Uwe Boll...

Without getting into the age-old dialogue discussion, the story being told is just boring as hell. 

I think Lucas famously said that the prequels where not going to be about Darth Vader running about fighting and it was a love story. Yeah, along with boring politics, trade/tax route backstories, lots of meetings and chit-chat 

And EP1 had Liam fucking Nesson in it, quite possibly the most boring same-y actor in everything he has done. Like Sean Connery gone wrong. Even when he has done voice work for animation, there is no guessing "I know that voice, where have I heard that before, oh I know..." stuff in it,  because it comes across so boring, plaid and lacklustre. His agent is the best in the business, must be the same as James Corden's)

It's always that 'be careful what you wish for thing'. I desperately wanted to know what the Clone wars was, and what happened to all the Jedi (and all that other mysterious stuff), but I don't think I really did at all.

There needed to be mystery in Star Wars...Bioware understood all this perfectly! 

13 minutes ago, englishbob said:

Without getting into the age-old dialogue discussion, the story being told is just boring as hell.

Actually, Palpatine's rise to power is more poignant than ever. I suspect the problem is it belongs in a thriller, not an action film.

22 minutes ago, englishbob said:

I think Lucas famously said that the prequels where not going to be about Darth Vader running about fighting and it was a love story. Yeah, along with boring politics, trade/tax route backstories, lots of meetings and chit-chat 

And EP1 had Liam fucking Nesson in it, quite possibly the most boring same-y actor in everything he has done. Like Sean Connery gone wrong. Even when he has done voice work for animation, there is no guessing "I know that voice, where have I heard that before, oh I know..." stuff in it,  because it comes across so boring, plaid and lacklustre. His agent is the best in the business, must be the same as James Corden's)

I was going to come into this thread and defend the prequels as usual (it's kinda my official job) but then I read this and almost fainted. I watched Schindlers List the other day and Neeson should have won the Oscar for that role 

TPM does have a special place in my heart for some reason. I mean I was 13 when it came out so was too young and stupid to notice its flaws but I still get enjoyment out of watching it even today. There are some decent locations, some genuinely great scenes (the pod race, lightsaber duels, space battle) and the music is amazing, I really think that Duel of the Fates and Anakin's Theme are, amongst others, some of Williams's best and most memorable pieces. For me personally (and it's mostly due to nostalgia I suppose), the good parts just about outweigh the bad. 

In AOTC I remember that some of the sound design is fab. And I liked some of the stuff on Kamino but that's about it for positives really, don't really desire to ever see it again. 

Wish I could think of a single positive for ROTS but I can't. Think I've only seen it once or twice since I saw it at the cinema, it's truly a terrible film. 

I reckon if the same story was written up by decent scriptwriters and directed by good directors they could've been excellent films. I don't think there's anything wrong with the concept and the grand sweep of the plot.

7 minutes ago, Pob said:

I reckon if the same story was written up by decent scriptwriters and directed by good directors they could've been excellent films. I don't think there's anything wrong with the concept and the grand sweep of the plot.

I'm convinced. The stories focussed on the wrong things.

I'd dispense with TPM entirely. I don't understand what it brings to the overall story. That gives us another film to play with. The final film should be the clone wars rather than have that in an animated series FFS. 

I just thing the whole hole tone and focus of the prequels was awful. 

30 minutes ago, Pob said:

The story of Anakin Skywalker and his demise and the Clone Wars should have been AMAZING!  How he fucked it up I have no idea.

I watched half TPM with my son recently, I didnt have the heart to put him through any more than that.  

he did actually ask me something about Bobba Fett dad couple of weeks ago, and that reminded me that they were in one of the films, he seemed quite excited when I told him.  I guess I might try and watch that bit in isolation with him.

5 minutes ago, Hean Dog said:

The story of Anakin Skywalker and his demise and the Clone Wars should have been AMAZING!  How he fucked it up I have no idea.

I watched half TPM with my son recently, I didnt have the heart to put him through any more than that.  

he did actually ask me something about Bobba Fett dad couple of weeks ago, and that reminded me that they were in one of the films, he seemed quite excited when I told him.  I guess I might try and watch that bit in isolation with him.

Has your son seen the original trilogy? I made sure to watch the films in an order that didn't spoil the best reveal ever in The Empire Strikes Back with my two older children. Their reaction was brilliant and something that shouldn't be robbed by the horrible prequels.

1 hour ago, Adrock said:

Has your son seen the original trilogy? I made sure to watch the films in an order that didn't spoil the best reveal ever in The Empire Strikes Back with my two older children. Their reaction was brilliant and something that shouldn't be robbed by the horrible prequels.

I tried this with my son, who's four. It's so hard to keep such a major piece of pop culture from him. I was watching Rebels with him, worried that it would reveal the twist, but I don't think it did. In the end I think one of his mates told him, as he came home saying "is Darth Vader Luke Skywalker's daddy?" and I just played dumb.

We finished watching Empire last night for the first time and he seemed vaguely interested in the twist. Luke's replacement mechanical hand was the big talking point as the credits rolled.

The Set Pieces and story arcs of the Prequels were excellent.

However the execution was inept. They should have been the original Star Wars, but better. They turned out to be underwritten, badly acted TV soap operas with huge SFX budgets. Literally anyone in the industry could have improved them.

George Lucas deserves all the shit he gets for the prequels - as single handily destroyed his own legacy. Atleast Disney understand it better than he does.

3 hours ago, Adrock said:

He has seen them.  But I think he already knew the full Annakin/Vader/Luke connection, possibly due to watching the various cartoons.

I watched ANH with him last week, going to do Empire tonight, then hopefully RotJ before we see Rogue One this weekend.

On Wednesday, December 14, 2016 at 19:22, JoeK said:

It's the thing with all of them to a certain degree...there are moments in all those films that I think are absolutely wonderful from a visual point of view. I like the way the films have that 'clean' look to them - smacks of a different time (a more...civilised age shall we say ;) ). 

It's just that the story is fucking dire, and the dialogue is utterly atrocious.

You could have given the films to pretty much anyone else out there to write and you'd have had a better series of films. 

Even Uwe Boll...

What about McG?

• 1 year later...

Just watching Revenge of the Sith on ITV, and my god, every single scene is exposition. I’ve never seen a film where there’s no actual plot development or story happening on screen before, just people explaining what’s happening elsewhere or explaining what happened in the previous scene, or explaining what they think about another character and their motivations. Nobody actually does anything, just talks about what other people have done. 

It’s not like a film made up of dialogue has to be boring, either. But there are no scenes where, for example, one character really wants to know something that another character doesn’t want to let slip, or where one character has to pretend they’re not interested in something they’re very interested in, or a scene where one character provides some exposition to another while there’s a bomb under the table that could go off at any minute. It’s just pure exposition. 

There’s the occasional action sequence in between the endless talk. The received wisdom is that these are shit because they consist of weightless CGI, but I’m not sure that’s right. They’re shit because you don’t care about the characters, there’s no conflict beyond literal fighting, and because there’s nothing at stake - all because every other scene is nothing but Lucas cranking out subtext-free, mechanical plot developments. If the action scenes were done with practical effects taken straight from early eighties ILM, they’d still be dull in the extreme. 

The only good scene is the one where Anakin and Padme think about each other while looking out across the city, because it leaves the audience some space to imagine what they might be thinking or what they might want, and therefore engages the audiences attention on the most basic level possible.

I take issue with your assertion that the film has no scenes with subtext!

There's that opera scene, where Palpatine appears to be telling a story that seems to be about someone else, but if you read between the lines, he's - GASP! - he's really talking about himself! :o

1 hour ago, K said:

Just watching Revenge of the Sith on ITV, and my god, every single scene is exposition. I’ve never seen a film where there’s no actual plot development or story happening on screen before, just people explaining what’s happening elsewhere or explaining what happened in the previous scene, or explaining what they think about another character and their motivations. Nobody actually does anything, just talks about what other people have done. 

It’s not like a film made up of dialogue has to be boring, either. But there are no scenes where, for example, one character really wants to know something that another character doesn’t want to let slip, or where one character has to pretend they’re not interested in something they’re very interested in, or a scene where one character provides some exposition to another while there’s a bomb under the table that could go off at any minute. It’s just pure exposition. 

There’s the occasional action sequence in between the endless talk. The received wisdom is that these are shit because they consist of weightless CGI, but I’m not sure that’s right. They’re shit because you don’t care about the characters, there’s no conflict beyond literal fighting, and because there’s nothing at stake - all because every other scene is nothing but Lucas cranking out subtext-free, mechanical plot developments. If the action scenes were done with practical effects taken straight from early eighties ILM, they’d still be dull in the extreme. 

The only good scene is the one where Anakin and Padme think about each other while looking out across the city, because it leaves the audience some space to imagine what they might be thinking or what they might want, and therefore engages the audiences attention on the most basic level possible.

And yet it’s still far more entertaining than The Last Jedi.