rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
rubberducker

Star Wars: Prequel Discussion Thread (aka: wtf were you thinking George?)

"Then I deliberately made sure that you (Luke) got raised on the planet his dad was born on, to act as bait so that I could make sure you'd grow up angry with the empire who would look for you and then you'd want to kill your dad, especially when I make sure that he kills me in front of you."

Wasn't he planning to join the imperial academy at the start of A New Hope? He only offered to join the rebellion when his aunt & uncle died.

• Upvote 3

Driving like a maniac in Charleston this week, definitely a good idea.

I feel a bit sorry for him. He was only a kid when he became just about the most famous face in entertainment, and there was no way he was ever going to have any kind of respectable career after TPM for so many reasons (somebody correct me if I'm totally wrong and he's had a great acting career since 1999 that I just haven't heard about.)

He looked a bit glum when I got him to sign a 10x8 at a Collectormania event a few years ago. I dare say he's even glummer now.

• Upvote 1

Don't know if this has come up already in this thread, but there was a great episode of the I Was There Too podcast about the Phantom Menace. Podcast is basically set up on interviewing minor part actors from blockbuster films for behind the scenes stories, etc.

They had Greg Proops (of Whose Line Is It Anyway fame) on, he was one of the pod race commentators. Some really interesting insight to how much of a shitshow the whole thing was, with extra voiceover work being recorded a couple of weeks before the premiere.

Definitely worth a listen.

I don't watch Disney's Star Wars CGI cartoon. But after reading Devin Faraci's glowing write-up of the appearance of Darth Vader in it decided to hunt down the bits on YouTube.

http://birthmoviesdeath.com/2015/06/21/star-wars-rebels-is-fixing-darth-vader

Fair play to them, for a kids show that's the most threatening Vader's been in years and that's a better lightsaber duel than any of the synchronised dance twirlathons in the prequels. Here he is owning an entire rebel fleet as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_ufQllSUao

• Upvote 3

I'm still not convinced on Clone Wars, but that clipwith Vader and another one of the inquisitor and Tarkin I just saw has made me want to watch Rebels for sure.

With Episode 7 right around the corner it brings back memories of waiting for the Prequels.

The anticipation was the BEST thing about Episodes 1, 2 and 3. With each episode I convinced myself that this next one would redeem the previous shitfest. And each time i was wrong.

Having said that the trailers pretty much rocked and the 6 weeks before release were always full of hope.. so in honour of that time here are the best bits of the prequels. all it goes downhill once you watch the films..

• Upvote 1

To be fair, the trailers for 2/3 did do everyone the courtesy of spelling out everything that happens in them, in chronological order, in two and a bit minutes, for each one. Probably the ultimate phantom edits from LFL/Fox themselves.

• Upvote 1

I've been re-watching the films recently for the first time in ages. Watched the original trilogy and started on the prequels last night. While I'm not going to get started on the big "WTF George?!" elements, the thing that's struck me most is the complete and utter lack of health and safety regulation across the galaxy. Every large structure, whether it be Republic, Empire or Alliance seems to have a series of bottomless pits dotted around the place, none of which have any significant form of safety barriers in evidence. Hangars on the Death Star? Massive fucking holes in the floor. Any form of generator room? Massive fucking hole in the floor. Important control console? Perched on the edge of a massive fucking hole in the floor.

Also, WTF! with the doors? Do they need to close that fast? How many deaths by door take place each year across the galaxy?

• Upvote 3

You forgot middle management crushing your windpipe for pressing the wrong button or the CEO flooding your body with electricity for not hitting your monthly quota. I suspect Vader/Palpatine didn't have Injury Lawyers 4 You writing them many letters.

• Upvote 1

Also "aww he's enthusiastic, and his Aunt and Uncle are the only people in the galaxy that have actually been killed by Stormtroopers, let's give him an X-Wing"

Friends, I have a confession to make.

A shameful secret that I've never dared tell a soul.

Here goes.

When I first saw Attack of the Clones at the cinema... I remember...

I...

I'm sorry, this is very difficult to for me to admit...

I... laughed... out loud...

... at some of the hapless antics of C-3PO.

I'M SORRY I'M SORRY

• Upvote 1

I've just watched those trailers posted above and they are all fucking boring. Really indicative of the films themselves I guess; just people talking on fake-looking TV show sets with the odd bit of awful action thrown in. The only good trailer was the teaser for The Phantom Menace.

Biggs told them how good he was.

"I've got this mate yeah, yeah that's him over there, absolutely amazing in a glider he is, can knock an acorn out of a tree using a nerf gun whilst he's gliding around. Yeah, he'd do grand in this top secret mission we've got coming up, stick him in a Eurofighter, no problem"
  • Upvote 1

Biggs saw him bullseye womprats in it and all that. Plus the Death star battle wasn't a top secret mission, it was a last minute win or die suicide run. Anyone who could fly would have been sent so long as they had a ship for them. Not that hard to believe.

• Upvote 1

With Episode 7 right around the corner it brings back memories of waiting for the Prequels.

The anticipation was the BEST thing about Episodes 1, 2 and 3. With each episode I convinced myself that this next one would redeem the previous shitfest. And each time i was wrong.

Having said that the trailers pretty much rocked and the 6 weeks before release were always full of hope.. so in honour of that time here are the best bits of the prequels. all it goes downhill once you watch the films..

Oh my god... they actually look even worse now than they did the last time I clapped eyes on any of them.

Yeah those trailers are all actually shit. And I remember being pretty psyched by them at the time, lol.

Was that last shot of Darth Vader in Revenge of the Sith trailer even in the actual film? All I remember of Darth in the film is "NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!"

Mr Biffo wrote something on Digitiser 2000 recently saying how in the immediate aftermath of watching the Attack of the Clones he sort of tricked himself into thinking it wasn't too bad. I was the same, I remember walking away from the cinema with the guys I watched it with and we were all sort of like "That was ... pretty cool..."

It was a works night out, and even by the time we all arrived the next day we had all revised our opinions and had realised it was total crap.

Having said that if I was captured by ISIS and they told me I had a choice between being beheaded and watching one of the prequel trilogy again, and they turned down my desperate pleas to be allowed a third option of permanently blinding myself, I would watch the third. At least it sort of did what it was supposed to do, i.e showed us Anakin turning to the dark side and the Jedi getting wiped out. The first two were just absolute nonsense and there's really no reason for them to have ever been made.

I still maintain there's the germ of a decent story in there, totally fucked up by confused writing, direction and acting. I quite like the political machinations Palpatine is pulling off, but you have to sift through so much shit to work out what's going on. Considering the amount of tinkering Lucas did to the original trilogy to simplify absolutely any grey areas and not let anyone work anything out for themselves, the prequels are a total mess.

• Upvote 1

Biggs saw him bullseye womprats in it and all that. Plus the Death star battle wasn't a top secret mission, it was a last minute win or die suicide run. Anyone who could fly would have been sent so long as they had a ship for them. Not that hard to believe.

Do you think I'm being serious? :mellow:

• Upvote 1

So in preparation for Rogue One I thought I'd give Episode III a go again. After all this is the good one of the prequels... or so I keep seeing on the internet.

I'm only an hour in but fuck me this is excruciating. It's like a badly shot fan film made by someone with a lot of money but who has no idea how to direct the big names he has conned into showing up.

Conversations are incredibly stilted and wooden. Anakin and Obi Wan are fighting in an epic space battle, Kenobi's ship is being ripped apart but it sounds like they took the audio from the initial line reading. It doesn't help that sometimes the dialogue is just two characters saying words at each other. Sometimes it feels like a conversation but at others it's just like eavesdropping at an old folks home.

Palpatine's speech about Darth Plagueis has been the only saving grace so far and even then they try their hardest to make that look as dull as possible.

Oh and Anakin's character is that of a Trump supporter with force powers.

So my question is, should I finish watching this later? Does it get any better?

All I remember is Kenobi yelling "YOU WERE SUPPOSED TO BE THE CHOSEN ONE" while trying to ignore the fact that someone has just taken a shit under his nose.

• Upvote 5

32 minutes ago, SweatyTravolta said:

So in preparation for Rogue One I thought I'd give Episode III a go again. After all this is the good one of the prequels... or so I keep seeing on the internet.

I'm only an hour in but fuck me this is excruciating. It's like a badly shot fan film made by someone with a lot of money but who has no idea how to direct the big names he has conned into showing up.

Conversations are incredibly stilted and wooden. Anakin and Obi Wan are fighting in an epic space battle, Kenobi's ship is being ripped apart but it sounds like they took the audio from the initial line reading. It doesn't help that sometimes the dialogue is just two characters saying words at each other. Sometimes it feels like a conversation but at others it's just like eavesdropping at an old folks home.

Palpatine's speech about Darth Plagueis has been the only saving grace so far and even then they try their hardest to make that look as dull as possible.

Oh and Anakin's character is that of a Trump supporter with force powers.

So my question is, should I finish watching this later? Does it get any better?

All I remember is Kenobi yelling "YOU WERE SUPPOSED TO BE THE CHOSEN ONE" while trying to ignore the fact that someone has just taken a shit under his nose.

Oh yeah, it's shite.. and no it doesn't really get any better. I guess you might as well get through it as you're half way through. Why not eh? 

It's also by far the best of the Prequels but still a completely bamboozling mess. 

I'm starting to think maybe Phantom Menace is actually the best of the prequels. The duel at the end is one of the few interesting things in the entire trilogy.

• Upvote 7

I think it starts quite well - I like the space battle going on. 

After that though, it's pretty much downhill, culminating in the whole 

'Where's Padme...NOOOOoooooo!' thing which is pretty much the most appalling thing ever.

It's amazing that a movie that features Jar Jar has the least cringeworthy moments on average of the three movies. Jake Lloyd and him don't have a decent line to read in the entire thing, but it's still better than the sand crap in Clones or Obi Wan and Anakin screaming exposition at each other.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Broker said:

I'm starting to think maybe Phantom Menace is actually the best of the prequels. 

Damning with faint praise. 

I do agree, though. That extended pod race scene is balls-out fantastic.