rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
rubberducker

Star Wars: Prequel Discussion Thread (aka: wtf were you thinking George?)

i love (and really fucking hate) that George still wasn't decided on what turned Anakin into Darth Vader even as they were editing Episode 3 - and it was essentially invented as a dream sequence in the edit.

that was surely the central reason to even embark on making the prequels - literally the entire point of them. And George hadn't really thought that bit through clearly and gone ahead anyway.

thats why the Episode 1,2 and 3 represent a monumental creative failure on almost every level, except technically.

• Upvote 7
  • Downvote 1

Yeah, for a moment watching it I actually thought they were setting it up so Padme actually would die and Anakin would have no choice but to turn to the dark side to bring her back to life- because the Senator / Emperor had made a bit of a big deal of that and it felt like the movie was pushing him to a point where he'd have to make that huge decision.

Which actually might have been quite cool- the idea that Luke (and Leia) were born thanks to the power of the dark side, which would add something interesting to mythology of Luke without ruining the character- and was a potentially heartbreaking and dramatic moment for Anakin- turn away from the dark side and let your wife die, or cross that line knowing you might lose yourself but save her. Proper stakes for him.

In the end it didn't matter because it was just a dream and she died of heartbreak or something anyway.

How did she die again? I can't remember. Did she just give up? That can't be right, that sounds stupid. (I haven't seen the film again since I saw it in the cinema).

The robot (Medibot) even comments on the fact there is "nothing wrong with her" within the plot. She is a personification of the Force at that point, and nobody "believes" in the Force any more; it's been reduced to silly bullshit like midichlorians and scared-as-fuck Jedi Masters lecturing others about "fear", and what is right.

The robot (Medibot) even comments on the fact there is "nothing wrong with her" within the plot. She is a personification of the Force at that point, and nobody "believes" in the Force any more; it's been reduced to silly bullshit like midichlorians and scared-as-fuck Jedi Masters lecturing others about "fear", and what is right.

See that idea as it stands is kind of good, but just like the rest of it, it's completely hamfisted and under cooked.

The only time a little bit of McGregor's personality escapes the prison of his Guinness prison is in Episode 3, when he kicks Gen. Grevios in the balls and hurts his foot and let's out this really massive, Scottish-tinged shout of "AAAAWWWWGGGGHHH!!"

• Upvote 4

This is why we shouldn't trust medibots.

"She's fine"

Padme dies.

"Um... probably lost the will to live or something. Yeah. Write that down on the death certificate."

:lol:

The only time a little bit of McGregor's personality escapes the prison of his Guinness prison is in Episode 3, when he kicks Gen. Grevios in the balls and hurts his foot and let's out this really massive, Scottish-tinged shout of "AAAAWWWWGGGGHHH!!"

I think his reactions to Anakin's lines around the "from my perspective the jedi are evil" bit are pretty heartfelt. You can see him struggling with the utter stupidity of what Anakin is saying and I totally believed that performance.

• Upvote 4

PADME: Anakin, all I want is your love.

ANAKIN: Love won't save you, Padme. Only my new powers can do that.

what new powers anakin?

maybe its just me - but perhaps the most monumentally stupid thing about this line is: although we have heard about power of the darkside for six films at this point - we still have yet to see why its so powerful, tempting or seductive.

all i take from episode 3 (and the prequels in general) is George had no real idea what turned Anakin to the darkside. and had even less idea about what the darkside actually was. which was what i thought the prequels were suppose to be all about.

George kept wanking on between Episode 1 and 2, and then Episode 2 and 3 about how important Qui-Gonn not disappearing when he died was was and that there was some big deal about force ghosts. And then about 10 minutes before the end of Episode 3, Yoda goes "BTW, I've been talking off-screen to Liam Neeson who has learned to become a ghost and he's told me the 10 easy steps!"

• Upvote 1

"Hi, I'm Obi Wan Kenobi, I'm a goody. I dismembered my best friend / protege and left him to die an excruciating death / allowed him to be transformed into an unholy combination of man and machine and weapon for the Emperor."

what new powers anakin?

The powers that Palpatine/Evil Guy says he can get by turning to the Dark Side. Even when I thought the film was totally irredeemable I worked that one out right away, fucking hell.

"Hi, I'm Obi Wan Kenobi, I'm a goody. I dismembered my best friend / protege and left him to die an excruciating death / allowed him to be transformed into an unholy combination of man and machine and weapon for the Emperor."

"Then I deliberately made sure that you (Luke) got raised on the planet his dad was born on, to act as bait so that I could make sure you'd grow up angry with the empire who would look for you and then you'd want to kill your dad, especially when I make sure that he kills me in front of you."

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

We've already been over Obi Wan's unbelievably shit attempt at hiding both himself and Darth Tater's son. And yet it doesn't matter, because those films have bantering characters and a gurning Harrison Ford shooting at bad mans in white jumpsuits.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

What's wrong with it? The Jedi are evil, in the prequels at least.

It's such an awful line. For a bunch of reasons.

1. Assuming that Anakin 100% thinks he's in the right, then "From my point of view" is pointless. We know its Anakin's point of view because Anakin is saying it.

2. It modulates and softens Anakin's tone. He's supposed to fuelled with Dark Sidey rage and yet for some reason still can't quite bring himself to say that "The Jedi are evil!" full stop. Instead he actually acknowledges his subjectivity.

3. Anakin and Obi-Wan are fighting on a river of lava at this point in time. It's a situation where you shout simple declaratives at each other, not a situation where you preface your replies with filler.

• Upvote 6

George kept wanking on between Episode 1 and 2, and then Episode 2 and 3 about how important Qui-Gonn not disappearing when he died was was and that there was some big deal about force ghosts. And then about 10 minutes before the end of Episode 3, Yoda goes "BTW, I've been talking off-screen to Liam Neeson who has learned to become a ghost and he's told me the 10 easy steps!"

If only he said it that clearly!

Instead, we get "I have training from you. From an old friend. Hint hint." - quick cut away. You barely even catch it. And we have to remember that Yoda heard a disembodied voice earlier, that we can only assume is Qui-Gon, because it's a bit quick and was cut from an early film because Neeson wanted fuck all to do with these fucked up films. We don't know it's about the new training...as it's edited about the time Anakin goes bad, and we assume it's all about him shouting "Fucking hell, Anakin... stop being a dick"

If only he said it that clearly!

Instead, we get "I have training from you. From an old friend. Hint hint." - quick cut away. You barely even catch it.

Followed by Obi-wan exclaiming, straight to camera, "Qui-gon?!"

Yoda replys "How to commune with him, I will teach you".

Easy to miss, that is!

There are three films worth of bad to discuss. That could be a lot of pages.

The movies are so heavy with badness that their badness, and the nature of their badness, is worthy of study. Their badness defies the laws of physics. You need extra, imperceivable dimensions composed entirely of badness ("dark badness"), or potentially some kind of baditational lensing or time dilation induced by their proximity to the Extended Universe to account for it.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

I'm not particularly talented artistically. I can barely string a few words together to compose a coherent post on an internet gaming forum.

Yet I know in my heart of hearts that I could have put together 3 better screenplays than what we ended up with.

• Upvote 3