IGNORED

Advance Wars: Dual Strike

Hitcher

I couldn't sleep with anticipation of my estimated delivery date last night.

I heard the thump on the doorstep and ran to the letterbox. Imagine my horror when all i saw was a new Edge magazine. ;)

Dag yo, always tomorrow though. *crosses fingers*

Must say combat mode is teh amazing!

It really isn't. In fact, it's the worst thing in AWDS. It's like a Wario Ware mini game, except if it were in Wario Ware it would be the shittest mini game on the cart.

Taptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptap. Move a bit. Taptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptap. Repeat.

Survival is where it's at in AWDS. It's the best addition to the series that I could ever have imagined.

I got mine from Tronixweb yesterday. I havent been able to play it mind as my sister has been hogging it. She's about 10 missions in and she says it's good. From my brief go, it looked pretty swish, I like having all the information spread across 2 screens, even if doesn't make amazing use of the DS, it still makes you feel like you're more in control, and more of a general, or CO.

Oh yeah, I forgot to add, I tried the Combat mode, and I agree with Stroker Ace, it seems daft. When it was first described in this thread I was intrigued, but having played it I've come to the conclusion that it's just a nice (if somewhat spastic) bonus. I'm surprised they actually put it in.

One more thing, why is no one else using Tronixweb, surely they can't be that much more expensive than VG+? and the delivery times are excellent, although I have to admit, I've been done for customs on an order before, although it was a large order.

One of the main problems with the stylus controll (at 1st anyway) is that you can occasionally press the wrong command. One 'wait' instead of 'fire' or 'capture' in the wrong place and you can realy begger up you whole stratergy.

I think a mix of stylus and buttons works quite well. I always use the D-pad for scrolling on larger maps etc.

I have played 4 mission so far and love the game with stylus but it is made difficult with small icons which can make you pick wrong thing.

It is worth buying a DS for :D I am waiting for Nintendogs as well.

Makes 2 of us. Which version of dogs did you order, Legend?

2 is actually AW1.5, so go for the DS version.

Well they are all excellent, if you are interested in any of the backstory ( :huh: ), then i would play them in order. But if you have a DS it will make no difference if you miss AW2 (so long as you play it later). The only real additions in AW2 were the NeoTank and Super CO Powers, both of which are in AW:DS as well.

I've playing this a bit today. I liked the first one, got the the last level of campaign and gave up after repeatedly getting my ass kicked. I didn't really bother with the war room stuff. I skipped the sequel, figuring it was just more of the same.

Anyway. I'm happily playing along, its a nice steady introduction, lots of helpful tips and tutorial stuff. I'm getting all S's.

Then Mission 8 arrives.

All of a sudden with very little warning I'm being double teamed, the enemy have super powers and special artilliary that I don't have and they kick my ass, a couple of times. Gone are the hints and tips to get through the level. All of a sudden you're left swinging in the wind.

I've little problem with hard games, I tend to persevere and eventually beat them. AW1 and Driver 1 being the main exceptions to this rule. I though it was a very odd design decision, all of a sudden you are in at the deep end. I'll beat it of course, it might take a couple of attempts to figure out what is going on. It just unusual and more then a little unfair.

The other problem with the game is the stylus, the game often doesn't recognise where you've pointed it. It's like the collision detection is off. On more then one occasion it stopped a unit from moving the way I wanted it to, costing me moves and units. I've given up using it.