IGNORED

When Tv Shows 'jump The Shark'

cyd charisse

I've been reading Chris Turner's take on the Simpsons phenomenon, Planet Simpson. So so, but it led me to this site: http://www.jumptheshark.com/

It allows you to vote to determine what the moment was when a TV show basically went shit, like when Fonzie literally jumped a shark in Happy Days. So I suppose you can immediately see why it was brought up in a book about The Simpsons. Well, the votes would have you believe that The Simpsons has never truly jumped the shark, but the author of Planet Simpson has it as during season nine and the episode where it turns out Skinner isn't actually Skinner. On the website one of the moments fans see as the show's nadir is when Homer is raped by a panda. I don't know, it sounds a whole lot better when you write it down, doesn't it? Sort of like that thread about that gymnast who was bummed by a tiger. You can't beat humans being sexually assaulted by animals for a laugh.

Naturally, there are some shows that were considered shit to begin with, such as Transformers.

Uh-oh! Now you've gone and done it. I hope you have a flame proof suit.

The jump the shark moment (for those who didn't think it was rubbish to begin with) for Transformers appears to be The Movie, specifically when the main characters were 'violently slaughtered'. I have to say, I've never seen it, but that sounds great!

That scene, and indeed the whole episode, is utterly hilarious. It's the one where Homer is Burns' prank monkey or something isn't it?

Whilst the Simpsons has gone downhill, only a few episodes are totally loathsome, for the most part it stills has plenty of laughs per episode. More so than later episodes of Futurama.

Jesus there are still sane people on the forum.

I never got the whole Simpsons is now shit thing. It seemed like internet geeks trying to decide what was cool and start a hate fad.

It's still makes me laugh more than most TV shows.

I never got the whole Simpsons is now shit thing. It seemed like internet geeks trying to decide what was cool and start a hate fad.

Here's the difference: The Simpsons used to be more than a gag show.

Personally, I think the shift happened around the time that Futurama started, as it seems that Futurama poached several of the key writers of the Simpsons. Futurama thus was brilliant, where the Simpsons suddenly started skipping beats all over the place.

Taken individually, some of the gags that you see in the latter day Simpsons are quite funny, even very funny. But they no longer link well as stories, making the episodes really devoid of that essential spark they used to have. The Simpsons was always a great story show as well as a great laughs show, and that story aspect is what is gone, seemingly forever, making the laughs increasingly hollow.

Still, the show has given enough to us, I think. I just wish it would stop trodding all over its past memories, as it's been past it for a good 4 years now.

Man, you've got it all wrong. Neuromancer is right - it became shit around the time Futurama started, with a seeming drain of talented writers. The jokes are no longer clever - compare for example Homer being raped by a panda (WTF?!) to the posh woman in the new York episode ("How frigtfully rude! I do hope someone stabs that man in the eye!"). See, there's nothing clever about the former, while the latter is just soaked in irony and is approximately 100 times funnier.

Also, while Homer used to be a crazy character, he's now just plain stupid. He used to get up to hijinks, say things that would just make you keel over with laughter - now, he's just really, really stupid.

Here's the difference: The Simpsons used to be more than a gag show.

Personally, I think the shift happened around the time that Futurama started, as it seems that Futurama poached several of the key writers of the Simpsons. Futurama thus was brilliant, where the Simpsons suddenly started skipping beats all over the place.

Taken individually, some of the gags that you see in the latter day Simpsons are quite funny, even very funny. But they no longer link well as stories, making the episodes really devoid of that essential spark they used to have. The Simpsons was always a great story show as well as a great laughs show, and that story aspect is what is gone, seemingly forever, making the laughs increasingly hollow.

Still, the show has given enough to us, I think. I just wish it would stop trodding all over its past memories, as it's been past it for a good 4 years now.

Bang on. I think that the Simpsons is only living on it's past glories to be honest.

I mean, Homer being raped by a panda? I've come to expect that kind of thing in South Park (who had the "Sexual Harrassment Panda", which might explain the 'influence') because it was like that from the off. Not from the Simpsons, which seemed to be the perfect cartoon version of all those other shows we'd seen as yoofs, except in a cartoon medium, thus allowing for the occasional oddity.

I'll put it another way: assuming you liked OFAH, would you have watched the later episodes if they were filled with gangland style shootings?

Top of the Pops - the introduction of Pan's People

I'm Alan Partridge - the very first episode of the 2nd series

Battlestar Galactica - the first episdoe, once the opening titles were finished; it was all downhill from there

Batman: The Animated Series - When fucking Robin shows up

Knight Rider - Garth Knight and Goliath

Oh and even I wouldn't dispute C.'s claim about the Transformers cartoon being rubbish. Apart from 20 minutes at the start of the movie, it is all rubbish and that includes Beast Wars.

*lights fuse, stands way, way back to avoid PR's furious anger and vengeance-laying*

The latest new episode on Sky, where Principal Skinner was getting married, was easily as sharp as the shows from the supposedly better seasons. I look forward to the next new one at 7.30pm.

"I wanna play dodge rock"

and when Skinner came in at the comic convention i spat my food out it was so funny.

Still i guess some people will still say it's rubbish.

Worst episode (barring series 1 because....y'know) is the one with that fucking screaming caterpillar. Total gash. That's quite late though.

It never got better after series 8, but was still well worth watching through to series 10. After that things went very, very wrong. I'll say due to Futurama and also apparently Fox wanted them to make episodes a lot quicker than they were and there was a drop in quality. If anyone remembers there was a period when there was a new simps on sky every fortnight or so, very lacklustre episodes.

On the bright side, it is slowly buy surely getting better, with some very sharp comments from the long standing cast being made. I think a bad spell in a series that has run this long is inevitable, and as South Park said 'The Simpsons have already done it'.

Battlestar Galactica - the first episdoe, once the opening titles were finished; it was all downhill from there

Battlestar Galactica managed to do the opposite of everything else in this thread though.

Remember the episode where Starbuck is marooned on a planet and died to protect a young woman and her child from a lone Cylon? That was a good episode in a very mediocre series. It was the anti shark jumper.

Sticking with The Simpsons, watching the older shows (seasons 3 / 4 esp.) does demonstrate to me that the show isn't what it used to be; many modern episodes are either too self-aware or just not funny. The lowlight for me was the one with Flanders and the movie actress, which had around three memorable lines. Now that's still three more than 99% of comedy shows at the moment, but it pales in comparison to earlier episodes. It depends how you want to judge The Simpsons; against itself, or against other TV. Against other TV it still fares very well, but against itself it's struggling. The current season has picked up a bit, though, but considering its recent competition consists of animated meh like the Flanders number or the UK-based show that's more cause for relief than congratulations.

Still, when all's said and done they've given me thousands of hours of entertainment for free, so what could they possibly owe me? If anything, I owe them...

It's because The Simpsons gradually moved away from being exaggerated real life in cartoon form, to just pure self-aware exaggeration and zanyness. People enjoyed bizarre zany moments because they were out of context; that doesn't mean you should fill an entire episode with Homer doing his kerrrrrazy routine.

Now it's just the randomness, so it isn't as good as it was. For example, when Mr T popped up in the Krust Bar Mitzvah episode. I know I wasn't the only one going "What the fuck?"

Yeah, but you did get to see Mr T.

Which reminds me, whatever did happen to the Mr T cartoon series?

*scuttles off to 'great shows that disappeared' thread*

Battlestar Galactica managed to do the opposite of everything else in this thread though.

Remember the episode where Starbuck is marooned on a planet and died to protect a young woman and her child from a lone Cylon? That was a good episode in a very mediocre series. It was the anti shark jumper.

He didn't die, he just gave up his seat in the only means of escape...

Season 4 of futurama had jurassic bark! :rolleyes: