Halo 3 - now coming to Xbox One. MC Collection.

Kryptonian

Like Soi and K said, stickies and needlers do the trick as does the brute shot. Plasma rifles are also surprisingly effective. Spikers and human weapons are absolutely rubbish (with the exception of the rocket launcher, but you only get 4 rockets on that level).

Tim, have you got the Vidmaster achievement (do the last level on Legendary with 4 players and the Iron skull turned on) by any chance? If not, would you be up for doing it?

I haven't done this yet so I'd be interested if you are getting a 4some together.

I just popped this in the other day for a bash about on Live and when I got into the Lobby I found I couldn't play most of the game types unless I bought another fucking map pack.

It's a fucking disgrace. I've already paid for the Heroic and Legendary map packs and now I have to pay for more just to get the same online functionality I had before.

Isn't DLC meant to expand your online experience rather than curtail it for those that don't choose to buy it?

I now have about 4 modes to choose from which is drastically less than what I had when I first bought the game.

Pack of cunts.

Like Soi and K said, stickies and needlers do the trick as does the brute shot. Plasma rifles are also surprisingly effective. Spikers and human weapons are absolutely rubbish (with the exception of the rocket launcher, but you only get 4 rockets on that level).

Tim, have you got the Vidmaster achievement (do the last level on Legendary with 4 players and the Iron skull turned on) by any chance? If not, would you be up for doing it?

Turns out I played the whole game on Legendary in two days... it really is pretty short, isn't it! Loved it all though.

Yes, all of it, including Cortana. I took a different approach to it than I have in the past. I knew that there's a set number if enemies, so I took it upon myself to kill every damn last one. It made the level feel totally different. All in all, it's 5 or so big rooms, each taking around 10 minutes to clear out. Then for the run back I just zipped through ignoring most enemies.

You get used to jumping backwards when you see either Elites or spider-things which have turned into Hunters, both can kill you with one melee. The former take 7 or 8 headshots, the latter a single swipe with the sword.

The spidery snipers are best killed wit a single melee obviously, but if not from range with the plasma rifle. After not using it at all on Heroic, I nearly always had one (or a plasma pistol when I couldn't find one). It takes off brute armour in 4 or 5 shots and kills the flood snipers in about 15, and it's pretty much the only gun to have enough enough ammo to use like that.

Anyway Legendary was surprisingly easy apart from four bits, the hill hold, the roadblock at the end of Tsavo, the approach to the switching off of the first of the three towers (all wraith-based) and the two scarabs. It still felt great though, knowing you can take less shots than the normal soldiers but still prevailing.

I'm not on Live at the mo but I'll send you a message when I'm back up. I always die a few times on the last bit due to crappy memory so it might take a while, however!

I just popped this in the other day for a bash about on Live and when I got into the Lobby I found I couldn't play most of the game types unless I bought another fucking map pack.

It's a fucking disgrace. I've already paid for the Heroic and Legendary map packs and now I have to pay for more just to get the same online functionality I had before.

Isn't DLC meant to expand your online experience rather than curtail it for those that don't choose to buy it?

I now have about 4 modes to choose from which is drastically less than what I had when I first bought the game.

Pack of cunts.

It's incredibly annoying isn't it. I play once a week with a group of 6-8 people, some of who just play now and then and aren't up for buying new maps etc and we are now very limited to what gametypes we can play eg Social Big Team. People now have less choice than they did when they bought the game, which if you ask me is criminal. Why can't they do it like in cod where the map packs are just disabled if someone in your party doesn't have them?

• 8 months later...

I've just come back to this and been reminded all over again what an awesome game it is.

I've been playing this shitloads over the last couple of days, using Timmmo's patented "Iron Skull on Heroic" setup (i.e you have to do the entire level in one life).

The first couple of levels fell after two or three attempts each, but I got stuck on Tsavo. I got as far as the bastard hard bit towards the end with four Wraiths, a bunch of Choppers and the hill thing in the middle on my second try, but couldn't get anywhere near that far again. It's not so bad when you have a checkpoint to fall back on, but death comes so quickly on that bit that it's a real nail-biter if you don't. In the end I gave up and started from the mid-way point which you can select from the lobby.

At one point I got the 'gap in the road' midway through (where you have to abandon any vehicles you've collected) with THREE Warthog's full of marines. I think eight of us were jostling to jump over the little gap. One marine didn't make it and we had to leave him beneath the road.

I love the way your marines can take out the dropships on the hill bit immediately after if you equip them well enough, leaving the rest of that section to be played out amongst a tonne of debris. I played that bit a bunch of times, frisbeeing mines down the hill to halt the advancing Brutes, running around desperately putting fuel rod cannons and sniper rifles in the hands of marines, and basically having a different experience each time I played it, despite my own tactics remaining roughly the same.

I thought I was bored of Halo after the fairly dull last couple of levels in ODST. But I've realised: you can never be bored of Halo.

At one point I got the 'gap in the road' midway through (where you have to abandon any vehicles you've collected) with THREE Warthog's full of marines. I think eight of us were jostling to jump over the little gap. One marine didn't make it and we had to leave him beneath the road.

I've tried hundred of time and as many different ways to get a Warthog across that gap, but I've never been successful. There must be a way, and I'll do it one day, but it's eluded me so far!

The section just after with all the Brutes and the Wraith is amazing. So many different ways to approach it, it never gets old. My usual tactic is to double back on yourself and climb to the top of the concrete structure you walk under just as you enter the area to pick up a sniper rifle and shotgun. It's great fun picking off the unsuspecting ground troops from up there, then it gets even better once the Jetpack Brutes decide to come over and you blow their faces off with the shotgun.

The section just after with all the Brutes and the Wraith is amazing. So many different ways to approach it, it never gets old. My usual tactic is to double back on yourself and climb to the top of the concrete structure you walk under just as you enter the area to pick up a sniper rifle and shotgun. It's great fun picking off the unsuspecting ground troops from up there, then it gets even better once the Jetpack Brutes decide to come over and you blow their faces off with the shotgun.

My tactic was to try and back up the marines you rescue (who always rush into the fray despite overwhelming odds) as best I can, and then dash up to the top of the hill to arm the dudes up there (scooping up a fuel rod cannon on the way). I found there was enough stuff up there on Heroic so deal with the reinforcements, especially if your fuel rod guy downs the dropships. A couple of times I got into alarming close-range encounters with the uber-tough fuel rod Brutes (with the sticky-resistant armour), who were trapped by the dropship wreckages. The Pelicans come in and drop off your new Warthogs even when there are Brutes still alive!

I've tried hundred of time and as many different ways to get a Warthog across that gap, but I've never been successful. There must be a way, and I'll do it one day, but it's eluded me so far!

there is a way, but maybe you want to find it by yourself. anyhow as a quick hint if you're not a massive glutton for punishment,

you can do it with a carefully placed grav lift... if you can find one

:-)

there is a way, but maybe you want to find it by yourself. anyhow as a quick hint if you're not a massive glutton for punishment,

Doh. So obvious. There are plenty earlier in the level as well. One I know of is just after the "someone, anyone, we're on Tsavo highway" communication you get, when you first meet the Brute Choppers. It's in the building on the right, where two marines are holed up.

Hmm, I wonder if I could have got all three Hogs across before it ran out of power? :)

Ha, I never even thought of that and fuck, I've wasted some time trying plenty of crazy methods. I'll give that a blast next time I crank it up.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm sure I installed Halo 3 back in the day and never had any problems with it. I know it isn't optimised, but the difference is negligible.

The difference was huge, up to 3 minutes longer just to load a single level. Bungie optimised it so that content was constantly spooled back and forth from the DVD to the HD, both working in tandem. Obviously with the install the HD also becomes the DVD, so accessing both at the same time means crippling HD access - try copying 2 or 3 separate chunks of content from your HD to an external one, it's much slower than just copying 1 chunk.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm just about to start playing through Halo3 again on Heroic and wondered if I should install it to my HD. According to the Eurogamer article a while back the install made load times for single player levels about 10 seconds longer, which I don't mind as I think having the install feature has saved my 360 a lot this time round. Should I or shouldn't I? Does it affect anything else in the game or just the intiial level loads?

It's a very good game.

Of course, saying it's better than the first is INSANE, but at least you're playing this and liking it.

I knew you'd say that. My theory is that it's taken me three games just to get into the Halo mindset. Not sure why it took so long, but maybe I'll enjoy the first one more if I ever decide to go back to it.

Now that Reach has put me firmly in Halo mode, was thinking about a Halo 3 on Legendary run (solo sadly). Only thing is, I'm put off by my ODST Legendary experience. first time i've taken the plunge on that difficulty and it was just annoying (vehicle sections especially).

I'm trying to remember the choke points on Heroic - Tsavo Highway and then there's that shitty FLood level. Any other crap bits? Is it better than the ODST stuff?

Now that Reach has put me firmly in Halo mode, was thinking about a Halo 3 on Legendary run (solo sadly). Only thing is, I'm put off by my ODST Legendary experience. first time i've taken the plunge on that difficulty and it was just annoying (vehicle sections especially).

I'm trying to remember the choke points on Heroic - Tsavo Highway and then there's that shitty FLood level. Any other crap bits? Is it better than the ODST stuff?

You may not like to hear it, but I reckon ODST did the balancing on Legendary better than Halo 3.

The hard bits were mainly the vehicle sections - Tsavo Highway when the Wraiths and Choppers show up; the anti-air Wraiths on The Storm; anti-air Wraiths on The Covenant.

Oh wait. Rat's Nest where you get that long passageway with all the Brutes in it? That takes bloody ages. The number of times I killed all but the Chieftain and then got hammered in the face, because he's sticky-proof and had triggered his invincibility... :eyebrows:

EDIT: if you'd be willing to help me out with the Vidmaster achievement (do the last level on Legendary with 4 players and everyone in Ghosts), then I'll happily play through the campaign in co-op. Actually, considering I've only ever played the first level and The Covenant with other people, I'd do it anyway. :eyebrows:

• 5 weeks later...
Today, an amazing but yet ridiculous Halo 3 statistic was released. It is an NPD number from the Xbox research team released by Aaron Greenberg. This news came from Greenberg's Twitter - http://twitter.com/aarongreenberg.

Greenberg's Twitter update read:

"Halo 3 has out sold Resistance 1 + 2, Uncharted 1+2, Killzone 2 and God of War III COMBINED....WOW"

Read that sentence over a couple times, and you will begin to realize just how big the "Halo" name is.

I await the response from the Sony Defense Force :D