Halo 3 - now coming to Xbox One. MC Collection.

Kryptonian

I've found quite the opposite on CoD4, literally 90% of people we beat quit out before the match finishes.

Wow, really? I don't experience that at all. Even in my best game ever (a few weeks back), where my K/D ended up 90-8, not one person on the other team quit, despite how hard I was raping the enemy team.

• 2 months later...

Man, I've been playing this loads recently. And not the multiplayer, I mean the campaign. When I bought it I pretty much blasted through it in co-op and thought it throwaway and sub-standard. I then played stupid amounts of multiplayer and forgot the campaign entirely.

Internetless, I blasted through it alone on Heroic and loved every minute (one level aside...), and now I've started running through on Legendary.

Finishing Tsavo Highway on Legendary is one of the most frustrating but satisfying things I've done in gaming. The hill holding bit, and that final roadblock bit took every bit of skill I had. It's amazing getting through a bit which seems actually impossible. For the roadblock bit (which you can just drive through on lower difficulties) I took out all three tanks and every single enemy. It was like a puzzle game, working out how to do it. Like a puzzle game, but fun.

You can kind of see why Elites had to be left out. There's a lot more enemies than the original Halo, and when facing a group of Brutes it's all about taking off the shields with laser weapons before finishing off with bullets. If they were Elites you'd have no chance.

Cortana is absolutely terrible, but the rest of the game is amazing. Hurrah for Halo 3.

I really don't understand the hate for Cortana Level. Yes it is a bit of a slog through slimy tunnels that all look the same, but I loved the claustrophobic, lonely penetration of the Flood hive.

It really felt threatening. and great fun blasting the shit out of the flood.

It's the only level that kinda falls apart on Legendary. Is just so damn hard, and those Flood snipers! Jesus!

I've replayed that level...so many times! just for fun.

My only complaint is the anticlimactic way the Covenant just disappear

It's too long! And they kept coming back, it just took forever.

Didn't someone post an easy way to kill those flood snipers? I know they fall apart with one melee hit but there was some other way.

The great thing about the Cortana level is how you just have to go deeper and further inside when you really want to get as far away as possible from that place... and then have to make it all the way back again. The almost maze-like leveldesign is pretty clever and the art direction is great. The cutscene when you finally find Cortana is one of the best of the game. It also has the classic quote: "I thought I'd try shooting my way out. Mix things up a little." :blah:

The flood just weren't fun to fight, particularly on Legendary. Some of them fell apart too easily, as if there was no weight to them. The pure forms were like a solid rubbery mass that was equally unsatisfying to kill, especially with a sword. The combat forms that used to be elites were at times rediulously resilient, needing many a sword swipe to bring them down. And then there were the snipers. I'm interested to find out what this easy method of killing them is. I found that sticky grenades and melee attacks were the only effective weapons but I probably missed something obvious.

Didn't someone post an easy way to kill those flood snipers? I know they fall apart with one melee hit but there was some other way.

I find stickies are good for those very annoying things.

I think Halo 3's campaign is awesome. I too played a few levels of it recently and was really pleasantly surprised.

ODST could be amazing. Especially with firefight as an added bonus.

The sniper things were really easy to take down with needlers – they only took a few shots, plus they home in – but needler ammo is in pretty short supply, so it’s not a miracle cure.

I’d disagree with Timmo’s comments above about the Elites, they would have slotted perfectly into Halo 3. If you replaced every Brute in, say, the bit on Tsavo Highway just after the broken bridge with Elites it would be impossible, but an encounter with a handful of grunts, three brutes and one Elite would be sex on wheels. They’d just have to balance the game properly, there’s no reason they couldn’t have mixed massive brute wars with smaller duels with elites.

Like Soi and K said, stickies and needlers do the trick as does the brute shot. Plasma rifles are also surprisingly effective. Spikers and human weapons are absolutely rubbish (with the exception of the rocket launcher, but you only get 4 rockets on that level).

Tim, have you got the Vidmaster achievement (do the last level on Legendary with 4 players and the Iron skull turned on) by any chance? If not, would you be up for doing it?

7/7/09 and no mention of Bungie Day?

Bungie Day 09

For those who have a Bungie Pro account, the render to video option sounds excellent - being able to upload saved video into wmv format or streamable from Bungie.net. Lots of opportunities to get Recon armour too with today's playlist, if anyone still cares about that.

Tim, have you got the Vidmaster achievement (do the last level on Legendary with 4 players and the Iron skull turned on) by any chance? If not, would you be up for doing it?

Don't forget the most important part: finish it with all players sitting in a ghost. Good luck with that :hat: Took us about four hours...

7/7/09 and no mention of Bungie Day?

Bungie Day 09

For those who have a Bungie Pro account, the render to video option sounds excellent - being able to upload saved video into wmv format or streamable from Bungie.net. Lots of opportunities to get Recon armour too with today's playlist, if anyone still cares about that.

With the Bungie playlist, there's currently about 110,000 people in it and you have to match up against the 4 Bungie staff playing (and beat them) Long odds...

I've got fond memories of Midship, even though it was never my happiest hunting ground. If nothing else the crazy sword lunge won't be an issue this time around.

I'm glad they've stuck with the Halo 2 aesthetics, rather than opt for a Lockout/Blackout-style re-imagining.

What's the problem with Midship looking the same? People would only moan if it was any different.

Longshore is new, although I do get a vague Headlong vibe from it in terms of the layout and design.

What's the problem with Midship looking the same? People would only moan if it was any different.

Longshore is new, although I do get a vague Headlong vibe from it in terms of the layout and design.

I don't have a problem with it, I just thought they might have upgraded it a little graphically for the remake. It looks like a direct port. Which is quite suprising given the amount of time they have spent getting these maps together.

The maps have been done since September of last year. Microsoft decided to hold them back for ODST.

It might be misty-eyed nostolgia talking, but I think Halo 2's maps are generally more fun to play than Halo 3's. I would've loved to have seen Turf, Ivory Tower, Burial Mounds, Sanctuary, Headlong, Relic and a straight remake of Lockout ported across to Halo 3.