Advance Wars

Advance Wars 2

Wario Ware

F-Zero

Tactics Ogre

Metroid: Fusion

Metroid: Zero Mission

Fire Emblem

Yoshi's Island (even though I already owned it)

Four Swords(portable LttP as a bonus.)

SF2

Mario & Luigi: superstar saga

Bomberman

Pokemon Sapphire

Any platform that gives me this many high-quality, fun titles deserves my attention and love. And I've probably forgotten some.

No, you just half-read the post and made a moronic knee jerk response of your own. At least have the balls to apologise.

For what exactly? I didn't misunderstand your first post. Read it again yourself:

Who is buying all those GBAs, and what are you playing on them?

Last I checked, it's been pretty bleak as a platform aside from Advance Wars and Warioware. And none of you bought those. Are you all playing Pokemon and Harry Potter?

Forgive me its been a few years since I did my GCSE english, but in the above you suggest that the only games on the GBA worth playing are Advance Wars and Warioware, which is clearly false.

You then make a comment that nobody bought them, false again at least for Advance Wars which was a big seller.

You then make a comment about Pokemon and Harry Potter, I guess this is somewhat ambiguous, but as you didn't include them in the games worth getting I assumed that you considered Pokemon to be not very good.

Are you serious?

How many must-have GBA-exclusive titles can you list? I can't think of very many.

Just glancing on my desk, I see Fire Emblem, Advance Wars 2, Mario & Luigi Superstar Saga, Wario World, Final Fantasy Tactics Advance and Super Mario 3 staring up at me from below my monitor, all but one are new & exclusive.

The GBA has quietly sneaked up as one of the best consoles ever, with a surprisingly excellent line up of essential titles, and not at all the sad kiddie's movie license merchandise parade I was expecting.

I agree it's gutting that despite it's dominance as a platform, the GBA has yet (in the UK) to develop a mature market. Unless you're a Nintendo developer it's impossible to get the backing to create a good GBA game.

The UK highstreet only acknowledges the GBA as a vehicle for shit children's licensed titles.

The GBA is the best platform, but it's entirely thanks to Nintendo and other Japanese developers and etailers. If I had to rely on western 3rd parties and high street shops I'd be stuck playing Spyro and Nemo :P

I'm very much of the opinion that the GBA's been pretty poor in terms of must-have games.

And the games are far too expensive. Those robbing Nintendo cunts.

I wonder how much your second point influences your first. I don't agree with your first point, but I live in GBA game $30 max land (the USA).

I wonder how much your second point influences your first. I don't agree with your first point, but I live in GBA game $30 max land (the USA).

Well, put it this way- I had no problem paying 30-odd quid for an imported Wario Ware.

I have plenty of problem paying 30 quid for old snes games in a new box. I really think the GBA's games have been lazy on the whole. But then 'lazy' seems to sum up Nintendo these days.

R.

My GBA is my most used gaming hardware. The little chunk of seemingly bullet proof plastic great for a quick game or hours of adventuring. Currently residing in my game case are:

Metroid Zero Mission

Metroid Fusion

Lunar Legend

Chessmaster

Advance Wars 2

The better titles do seem quite hard to find on the high street where all the GBA shelves are filled with Disney licenses and bad platformers but it does consitently have great games.

Well, put it this way- I had no problem paying 30-odd quid for an imported Wario Ware.

I have plenty of problem paying 30 quid for old snes games in a new box. I really think the GBA's games have been lazy on the whole. But then 'lazy' seems to sum up Nintendo these days.

R.

You don't _have_ to buy the SNES reissues. It's been said before, but these reissues are no worse--morally--than the practice of reissuing films on DVD, in various special editions, etc.

There are so many fantastic, new GBA games that you'd have to be really jaded to not find something--in fact, quite a lot--to interest you.

Off the top of my head, I wouldn't part with my memories of:

Metroid Zero Mission

Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow

Ninja Cop

Astroboy

Tactics Ogre: KOL

Final Fantasy Tactics

Kurukuru Kurin

Fire emblem

Advance Wars

Advance Wars 2

Wario Ware

Metroid Fusion

Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga

Pokemon Sapphire/Ruby

Boktai

Kirby & The Amazing Mirror

Car Battler Joe

Megaman Battle Network

Go! Go! Beckham

That's a longer list than the comparative one for any of the main consoles.

To the person who listed those 18 MUST HAVE TITLES! The GBA has over 1,600 titles... so that's roughly 1% of the overall amount of games.

Anyways heres my own list of GBA Must-Have Titles :

Guru Logic Champ

Hachiemon

Guru Logic Champ

Astro Boy

Guru Logic Champ

Guardian Heroes Advance

Guru Logic Champ

Z.O.E : Fist of Mars

Guru Logic Champ

Fire Emblem

Guru Logic Champ

Dragon Quest : Surimi

Guru Logic Champ

Castlevania : White Night Concerto (and the other one...)

Guru Logic Champ

Super Mario Bros Advance 2 : Mario World

Guru Logic Champ

Pokemon Ruby and Sapphire

Guru Logic Champ

Pokemon Fire Red and Leaf Green

Guru Logic Champ

Kuru Kuru Kururin Paradise

Guru Logic Champ

Metroid Zero Mission

Guru Logic Champ

Megaman Zero 2 and 3 (1 was a waste of time)

Guru Logic Champ

Oshare Wanko

Guru Logic Champ

Bomberman Max 2

Guru Logic Champ

Tactics Ogre : Knights of Lodis

Guru Logic Champ

Kirby and The Amazing Mirror

Guru Logic Champ

Mario & Luigi Superstar Saga

Guru Logic Champ

Warioware

Guru Logic Champ

Turbo Turtle Adventure

Guru Logic Champ

Lunar Legend Remake

Guru Logic Champ

Final Fantasy Tactics Advance

Guru Logic Champ

Craft Sword Monogatari 2

Guru Logic Champ

Summon Night

Guru Logic Champ

Tales of the World : Narikiri Dungeon

Guru Logic Champ

Iridion II

All of them from my point of view are Must Haves

To the person who listed those 18 MUST HAVE TITLES! The GBA has over 1,600 titles... so that's roughly 1% of the overall amount of games.

Who cares what percentage it is? The PS2 has loads of great games but I doubt the percentage of good to crap is any better.

It's the absolute number that matters. If a console as 20 must-have games then that's more than enough for most of us.

Who cares what percentage it is? The PS2 has loads of great games but I doubt the percentage of good to crap is any better.

It's the absolute number that matters. If a console as 20 must-have games then that's more than enough for most of us.

No one cares about the percentages... I was just working it out. Personally myself I'd want a LOT more than 18 Must-Have titles on a console before warranting a purchase.

GBA games are far too expensive - they should be £10 - 15 at maximum.

Why should a good GBA game be cheaper than a good PS2/GC/XBox game? Does the 20+hours of fun you get from something like Advance Wars not count the same as the <1 hours of fun you'd get from Driv3r?

Sorry, but I don't see how anyone can really call for GBA games to be cheaper, and yet be perfectly happy with PS2/GC/XBox software which is already even more expensive.

Using your line of thinking, a low-budget movie should be cheaper to watch at the cinema than a high-budget one regardless of which was the best flick.

No one cares about the percentages... I was just working it out. Personally myself I'd want a LOT more than 18 Must-Have titles on a console before warranting a purchase.

How much free time do you have? :D

Some of those games last bloody ages (Fire Emblem, FF Tactics, Tactics Ogre, Pokemon)...

How much free time do you have? :D

Some of those games last bloody ages (Fire Emblem, FF Tactics, Tactics Ogre, Pokemon)...

On every bus, train, car journey. Every break in work, whilst I'm working. When I'm casually lazing about the house... I have a lot of spare time to throw towards my GBA.

On every bus, train, car journey. Every break in work, whilst I'm working. When I'm casually lazing about the house... I have a lot of spare time to throw towards my GBA.

Fair enough.

It's just kind of scary to think that I've put in well over 100 hours on just the games I mentioned there (and I only started Tactics Ogre last week). :D

I've just bought Tactics Ogre and am dying to start it. I've always shied away from Pokemon but have decided to have a go a Ruby and stick with it to see if it get me. So I'm keeping Tactics in the wings.

I've always been a complete devotee of every gameboy I've had and the Sp to me is a gem, the console itself and the great games that are out there for it.

If only the mags would pay it more attention and also stop reviewing the crap games saying "don't buy this this is rubbish". It is good to know about a bad game but I wish they'd use the space to tell us all about the not so well-known great games instead. There's a great list out there many of which people have mentioned already.

What a shame it is that after only three short years the GBA is being superseded by the next generation of handhelds. People have complained about the fact that the consoles of the next generation are going to be released too soon, but I haven't seen any similar arguments when talking about the state of the handheld market, strangely.

As long as I'm reminiscing about the GBA, I have always had a few questions that have never really been answered. I'm not talking about questions regarding the more mundane aspects of the platform; rather, the decisions made by publishers in releasing games for the GBA have always puzzled me. For example: with all of the ports and "deluxe" editions that Nintendo, Capcom, Namco, etc. have released, I have always found it strange that Konami, which was (I'm not sure that it still is) the biggest publisher of portable games (to date, it has released about 180 GBA games) has shied away from doing the same. I don't mean to say that it has refrained from doing so completely: the Frogger, Contra III, and Konami Arcade, and Motocross Maniacs ports or "deluxe versions" are testament to this; but it is surprising that a publishing house with such a large backlog of 8-bit 16-bit titles (and a lot of them unknown to the larger world) has not endeavored to release these as ports.

Perhaps I could be a little bit more honest in this matter: yes, I am speaking about the Goemon and Parodius games --among others-- that were never released outside of Japan. I, for one, wouldn't mind for new deluxe versions of these games (translated for the rest of the world, of course) to be released on the platform. But Konami hasn't done so (and apparently is not even considering the prospect, most probably because they have done so well with the Yu-Gi-Oh! license); in the same way that I don't think that Japanese gamers would mind if Advance Wars were finally released in the region, I don't think gamers around the world would mind if Konami would release ports of Goemon games for the GBA. In so doing another chance for these games to be recognized by the rest of the world has escaped. What a shame.

Perhaps this topic is tied to another question about which I've always wondered about GBA games: the matter of releasing games in different regions. I don't expect people to have had the same experience, but when the GBA was first announced, and all these different games were being planned to be released with the machine at the same time, I was hoping that now we would see a truly global platform, on which every (or at least almost every) game released on the platform would see release in the whole world. I know it now seems somewhat naïve --even jejune-- to think about this, (there are a variety of issues in publishing games, obviously) but I really did think that, with games like Kuru Kuru Kururin and Konami Krazy Racers there would be some hope that more of these games would see the light of day in the West as well. Sadly, this hasn't been the case --there now seem to be three different "flavors" as far as the GBA market goes: the Japanese, US, and European territories, each with their own different library of games. This is another shame, because there are plenty of games that are quite good that are exclusive to just one region. This is why it has been somewhat disappointing to see games like Koro Koro Puzzle: Happy Panecchu! or Magical Vacation not be released everywhere else, as they are quite good.

i realize this makes me sound a bit negative about the platform, but I couldn't be any happier about the games that have been released and the fact that developers are still managing to squeeze an incredible amount from the humble machine --to the point where even a three-dimensional platformer (in the shape of Asterix XXL) has been developed for the portable. Truly amazing. Yes, I also realize that there are a lot of games on the GBA game which could easily be put in the "filler" or just plain "shoddy" category, but this cannot take away the fact that there are a great number of sparkling gems in the GBA's library. One can only hope that the same amount of quality can be reproduced in the games coming on the PSP and the DS...

(Apologies for changing the subject.)