IGNORED

Silent Hill 4

squirtle

Yeah the animation is shambolic. The series shoulda stopped at 2, with 1 being the best of course. They have to call it a day now, and im a huge SH fan. The 1st person mode is abysmal. Could the FOV be any lower? Its like FOV 50 in quake or something (default being 90). Gah.

What's FOV?

Clocked it on PC a few days ago, loved it basically; slightly short of Silent Hill 2's glory but better than the flawed (albeit enjoyable) Silent Hill 3.

Below are some random thoughts about my favourite bits and the annoyances.

Spoilers lie herein, natch.

The ghosts were a pain-in-the-arse, especially because they took a lot of punishment before dropping and following that if you didn't have a Sword of Obedience they were going to get straight back up. However, it was brill how each ghost was one of Walter's victims, amplified the scares really. Also having to look after Eileen was a chore sometimes, she really loved to take on ghosts while I sat suffering from a deadly headache. They're the only major complaints I had, really.

Combat was perhaps the best of all the Silent Hill series. The fast inventory swapping and charge-up attack made it a relatively painless process. Literally slamming a rusty axe into a two-headed fur-baby was too satisfying; I felt almost guilty.

Up until Richard Braintree's death, I thought the SH Team were holding back on the disgusting stuff compared to previous incarnations. Man, how I was wrong. His electrocution is probably the most horrible thing I've ever seen in a game; the stuttering speech, nosebleed, blood-shot eyes and burning flesh was insanely harsh and realistic. I fucking loved that bit. :blink:

Also loved it when Richard Braintree came back as a ghost, in one of the game's few boss fights. The way he moves, like he's commanded by a VCR control; play, fast-forward etc. was particularly ace. Still, me and the bint Eileen stoved his head in, followed by a dose of Obedience.

There were plenty of other class bits, such as the mischevious ghost in my apartment using my loafers to leave bloody footprints (;)) but best-of-all had to the immense feeling of completing the game and realising, for the first time in any SH game, that it all adds up. There's no loose ends to be chased down; providing you've paid attention and explored thoroughly, the plot is complete. Can't ask for much more than that really.

There's no loose ends to be chased down; providing you've paid attention and explored thoroughly, the plot is complete. Can't ask for much more than that really.

This almost - but not quite - makes me reconsider having bought it, played it to a certain point, and then taken it back in a fit of mingled disbelief, contempt, and controller-grinding irritation. Anyone that's played it can probably guess which point this is, and I suppose folks that have completed managed to rise above the crushing deja vu which squashed all further enjoyment on my part. Alas the character development had been as patchy as a cheap toupee and I didn't care enough about Henry and co (unlike, say, James and Maria) to rise above a cheap design decision.

(I wound up walking away with Obscure, which isn't as pretty, but is a lot more fun. At least, it is with the two player co-op.)

It certainly was bleak, but for me the Otherworld hospital in SH3 was just fucking corrupt, especially that room with the mirror.

Also, had the sound team taken a few E's before creating the audio for the mutated nurses in SH4? They burp when hit for crying out loud!

Yep. I fucking hated THAT room.

Got me in a right panic it did.

The way the world shifts in Silent Hill 1's hospital is still the best though.

"What the fuck, where'd the 5th floor come from?"

"Arrrgggghhhh evil stuff!!!"

The nurses having shotguns occasionally in SH3 was a lovely touch as well.

"Hah hah hah eat steel pip...... *BOOOM* "

"What the bloody hell"

This has pissed me off so much!

Spoilers___The apartment world where you need the key for your neighbors room i forgot her name. Where the shit is it? Ive done everything but that and according to an online guide, (thats how much it pissed me off) you should remember where it is when youve done all the bits of pper!

This has pissed me off so much!

Spoilers___The apartment world where you need the key for your neighbors room i forgot her name. Where the shit is it? Ive done everything but that and according to an online guide, (thats how much it pissed me off) you should remember where it is when youve done all the bits of pper!

Click For Spoiler
It's beside you bed back at your own apartment. That means going back through the hole, waking up on your bed and checking down the left hand side.

HTH

I'm in "Building World" now. I made a right meal of the Water Tower thing. :rolleyes:

I have to say, the bits I'm enjoying most are the intriguing glimpses of the neighbours, and being in the apartment in First Person. It feels like an entirely new game, a sort of First Person Mystery/Horror. I'd love to see a whole game using that premise.

In contrast, the third-person bits feel very much like Silent Hill by numbers at the moment.

I'm in "Building World" now. I made a right meal of the Water Tower thing. :rolleyes:

I have to say, the bits I'm enjoying most are the intriguing glimpses of the neighbours, and being in the apartment in First Person. It feels like an entirely new game, a sort of First Person Mystery/Horror. I'd love to see a whole game using that premise.

In contrast, the third-person bits feel very much like Silent Hill by numbers at the moment.

The producer of SH4 admitted in an interview with GamesRadar that the whole first-person thing is an experiment to see what a Silent Hill would be like from a first-person perspective, which they see as a POSSIBLE future for the series.

The producer of SH4 admitted in an interview with GamesRadar that the whole first-person thing is an experiment to see what a Silent Hill would be like from a first-person perspective, which they see as a POSSIBLE future for the series.

Ooh, yes please! They'd have to work on it it to maintain interest, but a slower-paced, more thoughtful FP Silent Hill would be just the ticket.

It's starting to make me feel a bit funny actually. The few incidences where you hear the static from the telly or someone knocks at the door etc are making me feel a bit apprehensive about even looking down the corridor into the living room, let alone walking into it. I get the feeling they're playing with me, and that apartment ain't going to be safe forever...

Ooh, yes please! They'd have to work on it it to maintain interest, but a slower-paced, more thoughtful FP Silent Hill would be just the ticket.

It's starting to make me feel a bit funny actually. The few incidences where you hear the static from the telly or someone knocks at the door etc are making me feel a bit apprehensive about even looking down the corridor into the living room, let alone walking into it. I get the feeling they're playing with me, and that apartment ain't going to be safe forever...

Yes. They can definitely be commended on making The Room a very atmospheric place. I actually felt quite claustrophobic whilst playing it.

I'm nearing the end of SH4 now and I'm loving it. I must admit that I've radically changed my 'policies':

Click For Spoiler
To hell with looking after Eileen now. I prefer watching her turn into a barking mad and bleeding loony. Also the same applies with my apartment. I just prefer the mood it gives off when it's rotten with Demonic possessions.

I think it may be the game itself that's turned me a little more evil, but having the two above choices adds a little spice, IMO.

Wasn't there talk of a first-person DS Silent Hill recently? :rolleyes:

Sounds interesting, no?

Click For Spoiler
It's beside you bed back at your own apartment. That means going back through the hole, waking up on your bed and checking down the left hand side.

HTH

Yeah I know that but its not there!

Ill start again because i dont want that doll the tramp gives you.

Yeah I know that but its not there!

Ill start again because i dont want that doll the tramp gives you.

Click For Spoiler
As you've been exploring through the building world, in one of the apartments (I can't remember which) you can open the refridgerator and inside there's the body of a dead cat. There's a note that's stuck to it and I think that tells you about the key being in your place.

Hope THAT helps :)

I wish i wanted this but 3 sapped all the love out SH :)

I only played 3 for 40 minutes and its still sitting on the self, does it get better and how long is it?

3 gets interesting story wise but your playing a shit game to see what happens next. Nout much joy to be had outside of cut scenes and story revelations.

I wish i wanted this but 3 sapped all the love out SH :)

I only played 3 for 40 minutes and its still sitting on the self, does it get better and how long is it?

It`s been a year since i played 3 but i really enjoyed it and most others at the time did aswell. Graphically it was easily the best in the series and graphically one of the best games i`ve come across, the character models in the cut scenes are phonominal and was quite suprised when i first played 4 as it looks quite a big step down. Does it pick up after 40 mins? Well it depends where that 40 mins took you. By what i recall you start of on that fair ground which doesn`t take long and is alittle dull but then you wake up in a mall and thats where it starts to get good. As for length i would say it around silent hill 4 length minus the repetition of having to re do all the areas again and has some great set pieces. I really can`t see peoples gripe with 3 tbh. Gameplay wise it was pretty much the same as 2 but with less wandering.

Caned this a bit at the weekend, up to the return journey through Forest World now.

It's proving to be a funny one this - it's both the best and worst Silent Hill game so far.

The Best:

Click For Spoiler
When things start happening to your apartment. Especially the slippers. When you meet Cynthia again. The apartment world.

The Worst:

Having to constantly go back to the apartment to dump items, so that you can pick up new ones, or titting around in the subway getting Eileen out 'cos she can't climb a ladder. I must have been through those train carriages, dodging Ring woman as I went, about a million times. Also, where are the head scratchers? All the puzzles have been too easy so far.

I think the series is at the point where they need to choose a direction and stick with it. Hopefully the FPS experiment mentioned by Ed above will be explored further, and the PSone 3rd person bits will be dropped. I mean, otherwise they're just repeating themselves, right?