IGNORED

Silent Hill 4

squirtle

I got this today as well. Haven't started playing it though. The reviews have been making me a bit worried tho. It sounds like it's not the huge jump from the previous games as I hoped. I'm a huge fan of the previous games tho, as long as it's scary then I'm happy.

It feels like I'm playing Mario 64 - the horror game. Prison World! Forest world! I haven't found any stars yet though.

still, it's early days, but the floating ghosts are a bit tud.

Also, the one thing I liked about the first 2 was the fact that the bloke you contolled felt, up to a point, a bit vulnerable. tripping over things and running out of breath if you sprinted too much. this new man is too bloody fit!

Nice sounds, though, but not really a revolution in terms of game. having to go back to your bloody room every time you want to save is fucking annoying. Couldn't he have kept his book next to the phone?

I'm loving this. Feels as unrelentingly bleak as Silent Hill 2.

Oh and the bloke does get knackered if you run too much, then stop. Only when at lower health though.

I also don't see any problem with the backtracking, I've only had to do it, what... once?

Just save whenever you come across a new hole.

Seriously, there' my own issues with the game. I didn't expect people to tell me how to like it. :(

I just think the way they've implemented saving is rubbish. *I* think.

I agree with you on this. It's a tad annoying, but nothing game destroying. And those floating ghosts scare the crap out of me. I don't know why. they just do.

Seriously, there' my own issues with the game. I didn't expect people to tell me how to like it. :(

I just think the way they've implemented saving is rubbish. *I* think.

Yes. And the "limited inventory" thing is just stupid - I thought we'd moved past that by now.

Still, the "healing in The Room" thing is done very, very well - definitely makes you think of The Room as a safe place, which is gorgeously jarring.

Yeah, that was a bit OTT, but... for some reason I absolutely love this game, despite my initial fears.

(The first two worlds are pap, by the way)

Got this on Friday. Played it on my own for a bit, and felt disappointed. Didn't like the controls in FP (no sidestep) and it was really dark. Had to really turn the brightness right up. Also, the graphics in 3rd person seemed worse than SH2 and 3, and the animation of Henry walking is lousy.

However, started again with a couple of mates round on Saturday night and we really started to get into it. I really don't know what's going on, which is a good thing in my book, and there are some lovely touches. I keep looking out of the window at the world going by - perfect opportunity for some "Rear Window" shenanigans, I hope they don't miss that - and also the room with the woman looking for her broom (complete with pink bunny from SH3!).

The floating ghosts give me the creeps, and so far I've not been able to kill one as they just keep getting up. As a consequence there are still a couple of mysteries in the subway (the vending machine and the box on the train) for me to go back and investigate. Got killed going up an escalator by things coming out of the walls, so that probably tells you I'm not too far in.

So - I like. Better than 3, purely because it's different. So far not as good as 2 or 1.

Got this on Friday. Played it on my own for a bit, and felt disappointed. Didn't like the controls in FP (no sidestep) and it was really dark.

There is a strafe option. Just go in to the controls and reconfigure the sticks. Et voila! Left stick move and strafe, right stick look. Standard console FPS controls.

I'm 4 hours into SH4 now and I thought I'd air my two-bob's worth

IMO the atmosphere is pretty bleak and claustraphobic. It feels like a combination between a Hammer House of Horror movie and Nine Inch Nails' 'Closer' video. Playing it wih all the lights off really draws you in. I keep expecting to round a corner and see Trent Reznor levitating on his back

I've never played any of the other SH games before and as much as I'm enjoying 4, I don't think I'l be in a rush to get my hands on the other three. Mainly because I don't wanna spoil the experience in case they're crap.

The enemies are pretty well effected. Those floatng ghosts definitely give me the heebie-jeebies. Combat can be a bit of a pain in the arse

Click For Spoiler
Mainly because holding down R1 while you're being clobbered sometimes doesn't put you into combat mode
but works fairly well otherwise.

IMO the 'going-back-to-your-flat-to-heal-and-sort-items' works, because you can kill two birds with one stone. However

Click For Spoiler
Since your flat stops regenerating your health from the half way point
could make this constant to-ing and fro-ing a bit of a pain.

Overall I'm really enjoying it. I'd certainly recommend it to someone who enjoys well implemented atmosphere combined with a weighty slow pace.

I've never played any of the other SH games before and as much as I'm enjoying 4, I don't think I'l be in a rush to get my hands on the other three. Mainly because I don't wanna spoil the experience in case they're crap.

SH2 is fantastic. The rest are just not as good as it. And yes ive played all four.

So - I like. Better than 3, purely because it's different. So far not as good as 2 or 1.

Pretty much my viewpoint. Although I never really felt SH1 was anything special.

Just remember, the Subway World and Forest World are shit - after that it really starts to pick up. Then you'll realise just how good it is.

I actually thought 3 was the best in the series followed closely by 2. Silent hill 2 was great but 3 seemed more focused with less wandering and graphically was the strongest out of the 4 by far especially in the cut scenes. As for silent hill 4 well i`m coming towards the end of it and for me it has been by far the weakest in the series so far. The start has a very start stop feel to it and gets better as you gradualy go on, then come the second half the game falls down as your re going through the areas you already visited. The puzzles range from not to bad to illogical and as mentioned before the character animation looks abit daft. The concept was quite interesting for 4 with the room and the story is pretty decent but from a gameplay perspective has been poorly executed. Still i will finish of just to see how it all turns out for henry.

Yeah the animation is shambolic. The series shoulda stopped at 2, with 1 being the best of course. They have to call it a day now, and im a huge SH fan. The 1st person mode is abysmal. Could the FOV be any lower? Its like FOV 50 in quake or something (default being 90). Gah.