rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
The Liberal Elite

One Week On

Charles - I loved Burnout 2, almost mastered it. But Burnout 3 is just plain average.

The crashes have happened on me fairly often, DDE occassionally, and the soundtrack thing is plain lazy.

I can't see a lot of the cars coming towards me and hitting me either until they've actually hit me. This didn't happen in the previous Burnouts.

And how you can't accept how bad Live play is, is pretty funny.

I must admit I only ever play racers from a first person view, as I always feel looking down on the car tends to obstruct my view of the track. As for a mirror, doesn't one of the shoulder buttons allow you to look behind?

That's different to a mirror. ;)

It has its faults, and i agree about not seeing vehicals, sometimes they belend in with the back ground till your right on top of them, they also dont flash their headlights as much as they used to which was a nice feature.

Its crashed once for me, most games crash though, mostly only once. The soundtrack thing is annoying but it hardly takes ages to do it, and the loads are small as well, many games take longer to load. Its brill really it is. A bit of polishing could have helped but thats what burnout 4 will be for.

Well, I've had it a week.  I've tried so hard to like it.  Rave reviews from magazines and positive recommendations from both this forum and others suggested this was the twitch gaming experience I was looking for.

But... I'm hacked off with Burnout 3.  I'm hacked off with the long loading times.  I'm hacked off with the damn thing locking up.  I'm hacked off with having to change the soundtrack every time I load the game.  I'm hacked off because most of the time when I hit something, I didn't even see it coming or had no way to avoid it.  I'm hacked off with the inconsistent gameplay which dictates that you can cheerfully bounce off your opponents as much as you like but if you dare to as so much clip the other sort of car you'll fly fifty feet in the air and become a pile of wreckage.  I'm sick of cars flying around and bouncing off trees - it looks ridiculous, and having to wait five seconds before you can get back on the track got very old very quickly.  I'm still failing to see the point of Impact mode when the camera means you can't see what's coming anyway; and who'd want to slow down those endless crash scenes even further anyway?  I don't agree with the developers who seemed to think that making things go blurry made them look like they were going quicker; to me, they just look blurry.  And I laugh in the general direction of the EA-ified Xbox Live support, which is simply broken, and means that even on the off-chance you do get a game, all anyone ever talks about is how shit the EA servers are.

In short, I've had enough, and I probably won't play it again.  10 out of 10 for this?  What the hell?

And to the people on the forum who like it: why?  What's so good about it that it overcomes all the problems above?

.::: HAHAHA!!!

But seriously, I had most of these feelings as well.

When I was playing the orignal Burnout.

Matter of taste I guess. Personally, I think the PS2 version of Burnout 3 looks MILES better than the Xbox version. Hereby I also declare war to all forms of anti-aliasing and the fucked up vaseline-o-vision they bring along with them!

Power to the Jags! Sharp to the Bone!

ME0000417158_2.jpg

PS2 above

burnout3_screen003.jpg

x box above.

I really dont see much difference from the stills.

.::: Pfft, those shots aren't even from the final version. ;)

But seriously I've put them side by side in the demopods at work and there is a difference. The Xbox version is rather smudged out, while the PS2 version is rather sharp.

Well, I've had it a week. I've tried so hard to like it. Rave reviews from magazines and positive recommendations from both this forum and others suggested this was the twitch gaming experience I was looking for.

But... I'm hacked off with Burnout 3. I'm hacked off with the long loading times. I'm hacked off with the damn thing locking up. I'm hacked off with having to change the soundtrack every time I load the game. I'm hacked off because most of the time when I hit something, I didn't even see it coming or had no way to avoid it. I'm hacked off with the inconsistent gameplay which dictates that you can cheerfully bounce off your opponents as much as you like but if you dare to as so much clip the other sort of car you'll fly fifty feet in the air and become a pile of wreckage. I'm sick of cars flying around and bouncing off trees - it looks ridiculous, and having to wait five seconds before you can get back on the track got very old very quickly. I'm still failing to see the point of Impact mode when the camera means you can't see what's coming anyway; and who'd want to slow down those endless crash scenes even further anyway? I don't agree with the developers who seemed to think that making things go blurry made them look like they were going quicker; to me, they just look blurry. And I laugh in the general direction of the EA-ified Xbox Live support, which is simply broken, and means that even on the off-chance you do get a game, all anyone ever talks about is how shit the EA servers are.

In short, I've had enough, and I probably won't play it again. 10 out of 10 for this? What the hell?

And to the people on the forum who like it: why? What's so good about it that it overcomes all the problems above?

TBH, it sounds like you would never have been a fan of the burnout series to begin with anyway. Also most of your points are fairly redundent as well. Loading times are very quick compared to other games, it's never crashed on me, the soundtrack thing is a niggle but crashing into cars without seeing them? Huh, open your eyes a bit more, it's oerfectly easy to see oncoming cars wjen not boosting and when you are boosting then that is the point (risk = reward). Anyone who crashed in burnout often when not boosting, just is not playing the game right.

The rest of your points just sum out what the Burnout series is all about and compared to previous installments this is a much faster paced game.

Basically I like the game becuase none of your so called complaints really hold water for me, it just sound slike you don't like the style of game in which burnout is.

I could start a thread moaning on about how much I hate Flight simulator 2004 or whatever but my complaints would be largely becuase I don't like flight sims, as opposed to proper complaints about the game.

If you can't see things coming then you either need a bigger TV, faster reflexes or better eyes.

Unless you mean when you're blinded by the sun or are going over the brow of a hill; then you should just slow down!

If you can't see things coming then you either need a bigger TV, faster reflexes or better eyes.

Unless you mean when you're blinded by the sun or are going over the brow of a hill; then you should just slow down!

As long as you play from a first person view it's fine, but watching a mate play with the car on screen (he only plays racers that way) I noticed it can be very hard to spot traffic coming and re-act quickly to it.

Do people mostly play from the in-car view then? I tried it briefly and found it impossible to judge where other cars where when they came up behind you (another complaint: where's the rear-view mirror?) Maybe I need to try it out more, if it makes that much difference.

(another complaint: where's the rear-view mirror?)

On the PS2 you tap L1 to see behind you.

I have been playing the PS2 version for the last week and am loving it, that said a lot of the issues you talk about are Xbox related or online related, neither which I can ... err .. relate to. ;)

Do people mostly play from the in-car view then? I tried it briefly and found it impossible to judge where other cars where when they came up behind you (another complaint: where's the rear-view mirror?) Maybe I need to try it out more, if it makes that much difference.

I must admit I only ever play racers from a first person view, as I always feel looking down on the car tends to obstruct my view of the track. As for a mirror, doesn't one of the shoulder buttons allow you to look behind?

i agree with pretty much everything Garwoofoo said.

as a one player game, i really cant see wht so many people love it. its decidedly average. crashes are cool for the first hour or so, but then its just a pain in the arse. loading times are absolutely horrible...restarting a race or crash junction?..why the hell do you need to load anything?

its only saving grace is online, where if it actually works, is a good laugh for a while.

but its no classic.

Well, I've had it a week. I've tried so hard to like it. Rave reviews from magazines and positive recommendations from both this forum and others suggested this was the twitch gaming experience I was looking for.

But... I'm hacked off with Burnout 3. I'm hacked off with the long loading times. I'm hacked off with the damn thing locking up. I'm hacked off with having to change the soundtrack every time I load the game. I'm hacked off because most of the time when I hit something, I didn't even see it coming or had no way to avoid it. I'm hacked off with the inconsistent gameplay which dictates that you can cheerfully bounce off your opponents as much as you like but if you dare to as so much clip the other sort of car you'll fly fifty feet in the air and become a pile of wreckage. I'm sick of cars flying around and bouncing off trees - it looks ridiculous, and having to wait five seconds before you can get back on the track got very old very quickly. I'm still failing to see the point of Impact mode when the camera means you can't see what's coming anyway; and who'd want to slow down those endless crash scenes even further anyway? I don't agree with the developers who seemed to think that making things go blurry made them look like they were going quicker; to me, they just look blurry. And I laugh in the general direction of the EA-ified Xbox Live support, which is simply broken, and means that even on the off-chance you do get a game, all anyone ever talks about is how shit the EA servers are.

In short, I've had enough, and I probably won't play it again. 10 out of 10 for this? What the hell?

And to the people on the forum who like it: why? What's so good about it that it overcomes all the problems above?

Anything you're not hacked off with? ;)

Matter of taste I guess. Personally, I think the PS2 version of Burnout 3 looks MILES better than the Xbox version. Hereby I also declare war to all forms of anti-aliasing and the fucked up vaseline-o-vision they bring along with them!

ME0000417158_2.jpg

PS2 above

burnout3_screen003.jpg

x box above.

I really dont see much difference from the stills.