IGNORED

Final Fantasy Xi

droodling

Hodge: Quests don't run out, you'll have plenty to do for the forseeable future... next step for you is to gain some levels and start partying with other players. From then on you will have set goals to reach, get sub job items, get sub job, get choco licence, get Kazham keys etc. Theres always something just over the horizon to keep you interested. Don't worry too much about doing the missions as you get them yet... sometimes the extra few levels make all the difference. Best advice? Go on an adventure... see the sites, explore new areas and get lost!

Edit: Also, have you tried synthing, fishing, mining, logging, gardening, harvesting yet?

Right i`m currently on lvl 8 and feel like i`m coming to that make or break point soon where i`ll get fed up and stop playing or get through and find the brilliance of this game. Well i`ve just ranked upto 2 doing missions but have hit a brick wall as the next set of missions require a far far higher rank than i am. Also i`ve been doing my leveling up while doing missions/quest and with the quests starting to dry out i`m gonna be at that point soon where the only thing left really is just to level up which i will tire of quickly without having quests to do. So what is the next step really when i get to this point and i bet other noobs on here will find themselves in this situation soon enough.

You'll really want to aim at doing the final rank 2 mission at around level 20-25, you will need a party to do it though.

At level 8 you've only really seen a fraction of the game. At around lvl 12-13 you'll want to start partying, a completley different experience to soloing. Can be great fun as long as you don't get a crappy party. At level 18 you can do the quest to enable a sub-job and at level 20 you can get a chocobo license, level 30 you can quest for an advanced job.

Right i`m currently on lvl 8 and feel like i`m coming to that make or break point soon where i`ll get fed up and stop playing or get through and find the brilliance of this game. Well i`ve just ranked upto 2 doing missions but have hit a brick wall as the next set of missions require a far far higher rank than i am. Also i`ve been doing my leveling up while doing missions/quest and with the quests starting to dry out i`m gonna be at that point soon where the only thing left really is just to level up which i will tire of quickly without having quests to do. So what is the next step really when i get to this point and i bet other noobs on here will find themselves in this situation soon enough.

At lvl 8 you really want to make the push to 12/13.

At those levels you can start to look for parties in the easier areas of Valkurm. The game changes dramatically when you start fighting in as a group. From 8 - 12 you can solo or maybe get in to small parties and take the opportunity to venture a little further afield - la Theine? Tahrongi? not sure where your home town is.

Level 8 is early days to be hitting a make or break point!

Level 8 is early days to be hitting a make or break point!

Just a bit....

I reckon the game doesn't really start opening up until you get to 18+ and start trying subjob combinations etc, and then again at 30 when you can do the quests for advanced jobs, if you want to try them out.

TBH, the xp grind in pt's gets a bit tiresome occasionally, but there are always new areas to level in and explore.

Thanks for the advice. By the sound of it trying to get into a party and venturing out of san d`oria is next on the agender after a few more quests and levels. Didn`t mean for the post to sound so negative btw it was more a question of what direction do i go next in the game? It just that i find it abit fustrating sometimes that you got the whole of van`diel with some wonderful looking areas to explore and your stuck in your home town without anyway to get out. I want to venture but i`m to weak :(.

Thanks for the advice.  By the sound of it trying to get into a party and venturing out of san d`oria is next on the agender after a few more quests and levels.  Didn`t mean for the post to sound so negative btw it was more a question of what direction do i go next in the game?  It just that i find it abit fustrating sometimes that you got the whole of van`diel with some wonderful looking areas to explore and your stuck in your home town without anyway to get out.  I want to venture but i`m to weak :D.

Dont let your level put you off - go to Ghelbsba or la Theine (both accessable from West ranfaure) and have a look. Either go knowing you'll eventually get killed or go with a scroll of instant warp or scroll of raise (both of which you might be able to trade conquest points with for with the gate guard).

Secondly at lvl 7 you reach a point where your weapon and armour will desperately need upgrading as mobs will get harder. Upgrade to the best you can afford.

At level 4 I tried running from East Sabu outside Windhurst through Tahrongi Canyon, through Meriphitaud Mountains, through Sauromauge Campaign (an area I don't go to even now on foot :( ) to get through to Jeuno. Also I had no maps!

I didn't make it of course although in retrospect I got bloody close once. I tried and died four times in fact but it was great fun and made regular stealth games seem like complete pish - the tension and fear was electric.

I think Pungee, a forumite, managed to run to Jeuno at level 1 :) and i've seen a level 1 character run in to Jeuno before (with their question mark for all top see).

Just because its not likely you'll succeed doesn't mean you needn't try. Oh and you learn tons of information that does come in useful later.

I've been out and bought a USB thingammy to let me use a Dual Shock with the game. How easy is it to configure a pad for the game? Is there a suggested set up within the game when you go to configure?

Either way, if there's an absolute best way of doing things, could someone please PM me with the ideal set-up?

I've been out and bought a USB thingammy to let me use a Dual Shock with the game. How easy is it to configure a pad for the game? Is there a suggested set up within the game when you go to configure?

Either way, if there's an absolute best way of doing things, could someone please PM me with the ideal set-up?

I think you just need to go to the config menu and select joypad control... it should have the correct mapping off the bat. Best to get that confirmed by soemone who uses a pad though. I still use the numpad!

Might try venturing out side san d`oria tonight then see how far i can get without dying. I`ve got around 700 conquest points atm so i haven`t got enough to get the scrolls. Is there any where on san d`oria where you can by maps from so you know where your going? As for the ps2 pad just hit the default set up and configure your right analog stick for the camera and d pad to move round the menus and you shold be sorted.

I haven't come across Conquest Points yet, I don't think. Hodge saying he's got 700-odd is making me think I've missed something major so far...

Talk to one of the guards at the gate, he'll tell you how many points you have... alternatively (and quicker and easier), go to the region info screen in your menu, it'll tell you the amount of points you have in the lower righthand side.

I haven't come across Conquest Points yet, I don't think. Hodge saying he's got 700-odd is making me think I've missed something major so far...

The guard at the gate tells you your total. You can also get signet cast on you, which means the mobs you kill will drop crystals.

Which can be stacked to 12 and sold on the AH for profit...

The guard at the gate tells you your total. You can also get signet cast on you, which means the mobs you kill will drop crystals.

Which can be stacked to 12 and sold on the AH for profit...

Ah, I've been getting him to cast Signet on me – I must have missed the part about Conquest Points. I'll look into it tonight.

Another question – I've joined three guilds so far, I take it there's no disadvantage to being in more than one? Or is it better to concentrate on one? Also, the crystals they gave me when I joined up – do I need to use those, or can I sell them? They said something about using them to make things, which were weaker than if I synthesised normally. I didn't really follow to be honest, so I don't really know how to get going with weapon/armour making and the like.

Another question – I've joined three guilds so far, I take it there's no disadvantage to being in more than one? Or is it better to concentrate on one? Also, the crystals they gave me when I joined up – do I need to use those, or can I sell them? They said something about using them to make things, which were weaker than if I synthesised normally. I didn't really follow to be honest, so I don't really know how to get going with weapon/armour making and the like.

Learning one craft to a high level is pretty expensive, 3 would be crippling, if you wanted them all to be as high as possible.

As I was based in Sandy I do leathercrafting, at low levels it is easy to obtain Wind & Earth crystals, and sheepskins for synth materials.

When you raise your fame in Sandy by doing quests, the prices at the Tanners Guild for materials will go down accordingly. You can buy them at the AH, but that is always more expensive.

Be prepared to nip in quickly and/or queue for the guild shop opening at 3am, as people get there to buy up all the stock quickly! The items run out, and you will have to wait for the next game day. Shop hours are 3am - 6pm.

Learning one craft to a high level is pretty expensive, 3 would be crippling, if you wanted them all to be as high as possible.

As I was based in Sandy I do leathercrafting, at low levels it is easy to obtain Wind & Earth crystals, and sheepskins for synth materials.

So I assume the point of the craft is to generate a revenue stream? Invest in learning how to make say, weapons, and then make money back selling them on?

So I assume the point of the craft is to generate a revenue stream? Invest in learning how to make say, weapons, and then make money back selling them on?

Yes, but you will lose gil, usually lots of it, in the inital stages, before you turn a profit.

Crafting is a bit of a money sink for quite a few levels.

I'm new to the forum (but my boyfriend Billy Brown posts here a bit). I started my FFXI adventures yesterday and spent hours getting killed by rabbits and beating the occasional bumblebee (a moment of great pride when I beat my first bee).

I'm a sorry excuse for a black mage because I haven't got any spells. I was wondering how I can get hold of some basic spells? I guess it might be a case of levelling up and trying to get a bit of gil together.

I haven't mastered chatting to anyone yet but if anyone sees a small taraturu called Clembee wandering the streets of Windurst that will be me.

I'm new to the forum (but my boyfriend Billy Brown posts here a bit). I started my FFXI adventures yesterday and spent hours getting killed by rabbits and beating the occasional bumblebee (a moment of great pride when I beat my first bee).

I'm a sorry excuse for a black mage because I haven't got any spells. I was wondering how I can get hold of some basic spells? I guess it might be a case of levelling up and trying to get a bit of gil together.

I haven't mastered chatting to anyone yet but if anyone sees a small taraturu called Clembee wandering the streets of Windurst that will be me.

I'm in Windurst, and i'm a thief, i'll be on for most of tonight from about 5ish.

I could give you a shout and we could try and work together for a bit, just to go up one or two levels until we're that bit stronger?

I know everyone says solo but it can't hurt can it?

My name is Tesia.

Pfffft. Noobs.

That's not a problem, it's to be expected. I'll have to take a good look at that later then, and decide which one to concentrate on.

http://mysterytour.web.infoseek.co.jp/ffxi/us/

Hi, click the guild link on this page - the best and most useable resource I've found.

Made getting to level 70 odd as a cook, really easy.

ALso each individual guild section has a basic introduction to how the in game guilds and contracts work.

http://mysterytour.web.infoseek.co.jp/ffxi/us/

Hi, click the guild link on this page - the best and most useable resource I've found.

Made getting to level 70 odd as a cook, really easy.

ALso each individual guild section has a basic introduction to how the in game guilds and contracts work.

That's great – I'll be sure to have a look at that later. Much obliged.

I know everyone says solo but it can't hurt can it?

If you're both the same level partying won't be a disadavantage it just may not be much of an advantage either, from an exp viewpoint at this stage.

Youll find together youll kill things twice as fast but for half the exp. But you'll start to understand 'partying' at an early stage which is probably a good thing and a bit more fun too.

Also dont bother casting lots for dropped items - they'll get distributed to you both randomly anyway. Casting lots on drops is only really important if you need a specific drop and your party doesn't mind you having it (you cast lot while they all pass on it).

Here was me thinking I was getting to grips with it all - and then talk of guilds appear, and crafting and so on, didn't even know there was any guilds - but then I did just jump in at the deep end and get outside to start scrapping......looks like I'm still a n00b afterall :angry: