rllmuk
Peter Sissons

Arcade Magazine

Dont worry flint i dont mind, probably better that i do it anyways to stop things going wrong. In fact i',ll do it now for you, should be done by the time i come back from work.

EDIT, just checked and your link is no longer there to upload it...

To my webspace? , I have 50mb.

Sorry, I meant you click my link and just dump it in there. It auto connects to my PC.

I can',t leave it on all the time Monkey, but if you could send it at 6PM-ish that',d be great. Unless it',s a really big file..?

Sorry, I still don',t understand. Unless you',re after a way to gain money for getting the mags from Ebay? And if you think that nobody will seed it once you',ve finished, you can rely on me. The DVD is a great idea if somebody cannot download it or isn',t willing to wait, especially if you',re having 20 issues on it at a time, but if you',re releasing one mag every month or so, wouldn',t a torrent to go along with it be a good idea?

Nevermind, though - once again, if somebody could dump it in here they',d be loved forever:

Thanks!,

In IE: click, it should open in folder view. Just drag files over.

Not sure in Firefox, but if you',re computer literate enough to avoid IE, shouldn',t you have an FTP client? :)

If its around when im back from work i',ll upload it then flint.

The reason im doing it on dvd as i',ll do it in one huge chunk. So one disc will contain ALL 20 issues. Its also a bit of a money making exercise not for profit or gain, but for me to afford new magazines with which to scan in (by new magazines i dont mean edge i mean ones not in my collection). These will be bought from the forum or ebay, as there is simply no way i can afford hundreds of pounds for full collections of magazines.

After a long time if someone wants to put them on bit torrent im happy for them to do that, but unless a few people donate to me their magazine collections theres no way i can afford to buy all these magazines out there. But remember kiddies if you do donate i dont have to charge any money as there is simply no need for me to.

So get donating you tight gits!,

Maximum was/is still the best magazine of that era.

Naaaah. Maximum was a very interesting failure, but you can see why it didn't work. CVG was into its second golden age, and covered things with a lot more passion.

I read a few of them around Christmas last year after finding them online, and sadly, it's dated really badly and isn't anywhere near as good as I remember it. The main issue is the way that it's a really uncomfortable hybrid between a 90s lads mag and a traditional games mag; FHM et al never missed an opportunity to have a few pictures of sexy ladies from Hollyoaks in their knickers, and Arcade tries for much the same vibe, except with extremely dated renders of female videogame characters posing in a "sexy" way rather than real women, which is just utterly tragic in retrospect. There's a degree of overt homophobia as well, with easy games derided as being for "poofs", which is pretty appalling. To be fair, this is probably not all that different from some actual games mags of the era, but it makes it nearly unreadable to modern eyes. It just isn't very convincing as a lads mag, no matter how many references they put in to getting leathered, or how many photos they print of the writers drinking beer and eating pizza.

As such, it's shit as a lads mag, and it's not very good as a games mag either. They review about six hundred games a month across every format, and they all seem to have been reviewed by the same five or six people. The quality suffers a bit for this - there are plenty of reviews which scream "haven't really played it, so here's a long description of the plot and the basic concept, nothing about what the actual merits of the game are, but everybody else likes it, so five stars". The Thief review, summed up, says that it looks great but sneaking around is really boring in comparison to running around killing people, so three stars. NHL 99 is great, but ice hockey is rubbish, so two stars. The actual writers are fantastic, but the sheer number of words to write and games to cover means they're stretched to the point of incoherence.

• Upvote 8

9 hours ago, Festoon said:

This just popped into my mind today, along with Deathray.

The classic Matt Bielby massive, unsustainable issue one size symdrome in full effect.

I was just thinking about Death Ray as well. I loved it - so sad they slimmed it down and started trying to publish other mags. They should have kept the focus on Death Ray.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Death's Head said:

I was just thinking about Death Ray as well. I loved it - so sad they slimmed it down and started trying to publish other mags. They should have kept the focus on Death Ray.

That was Bielby's specialty though - a huge first issue that then naturally slimmed down. There's just no way a magazine could sustain in the fashion he started them.

• Upvote 2

20 hours ago, K said:

I read a few of them around Christmas last year after finding them online, and sadly, it's dated really badly and isn't anywhere near as good as I remember it. The main issue is the way that it's a really uncomfortable hybrid between a 90s lads mag and a traditional games mag; FHM et al never missed an opportunity to have a few pictures of sexy ladies from Hollyoaks in their knickers, and Arcade tries for much the same vibe, except with extremely dated renders of female videogame characters posing in a "sexy" way rather than real women, which is just utterly tragic in retrospect.

In fairness, that looked utterly tragic at the time too. 

• Upvote 1

Have to admit, I only ever bought one issue of Arcade (the one with the cover-mounted Game Over book), and found it absolute trash. That EMAP-ish faux ‘lads mag’ style always completely put me off. I’ll give Arcade some credit for giving away one of the best non-software magazine covermounts of all time, mind.

• Upvote 3