IGNORED

Knightmare 2004

picto

Downloaded this from Bit torrent last night as it wasnt very big (about 40mb) and was keen to say what they have done with the show in its new format.

Well in all honestly i am quite dissapointed. Basically what they have done is made the entire world pretty much computer generated. They had one kid (the dungeoneer) and used his face as an avatar for the character. The other kid was shouting out commands like they used to. However, it might have just been that it was a pilot but there was no "side step left, forward 2 steps" etc. Well maybe about 5 times in the entire thing, most the time she said "walk to the door" and stuff.

The characters from the original appear back, ie Tregard is now a talking head during the main game and that evil bloke seems to be the baddie, along with his lizard type sidekick.

The rooms looked reasonably good, but i just think they should have kept with the original idea (with the blue backgrounds) and just used updated gfx.

Ah well its only a pilot after all.

How will it ruin your memories? Have they been erased?

I haven't seen Knightmare for years. Any new Knightmare entering my eyes and ears may well sully and poison the vauge recollection I do have.

Fridays, Helmet, Tregard, Impossible, Spellcasting and Riding on Dragons. That about all I can remember.

I remember...

"Ok, you're in a room and the floors are big tiles.

Wait, they're moving, they're moving! Stand still. The tiles are flying around the room meaning there are holes in the floor

There seems to be a pattern.

OK, when I say, sidestep right.

NOW!

I meant, left - LEFT!!!

I used to adore this when it was on - it felt like the kind of show which was too good for mere kids to enjoy. I loved the comedy fizzing bombs, the puzzles and that horrific life-meter which ended up with a skull with colour-cycling eyes.. nOoOOOO! It's good someone's decided to bring it back, so this news makes me quite bleary-eyed with excitement.

Anyone remember when they had that corridor of buzzsaw death? So many fatalities. As soon as you saw them enter the corridor of buzzsaw death, you knew they wouldn't stand much chance...

edit - Jesus Christ, that's fucking awful. What's with the crappy organ music when they move between rooms? Tregard's floating head?! Gaaaaaah. There goes happy memories. Why the fuck do they have someone who's telling the dungeoneer what to do, when dungeoneer can actually see what's going on anyway?! Poo.

I watched this the other night. I realise it's only meant to be a pilot, but it seemed truly awful. They appear to have taken everything that was good about it out. Also, is it just me or did some of what the kids were saying sound a bit scripted? I'm probably wrong, but if that's the case they weren't even playing it properly!

I watched this the other night. I realise it's only meant to be a pilot, but it seemed truly awful. They appear to have taken everything that was good about it out. Also, is it just me or did some of what the kids were saying sound a bit scripted? I'm probably wrong, but if that's the case they weren't even playing it properly!

I thought all the kids stuff was scripted. But I thought that made sense, since it's a pilot. It was probably the producer's children or something.

To be fair and I havent seen the pilot but if the old series was shown now without the nostalgic element of it being a part of our childhoods, how many of us would pick it apart for being terrible. I loved the original series but that was despite its many flaws, in fact with my friends we often loved it more for its strange traits.

Its not been remade to appeal to us I wouldnt have thought, it would be for a new generation who might talk about it as fondly in 10-15 years as we do about the original. But if it came to observing the original solely as a peice of quality television it doesnt stand up well, so why would we expect this to be any different.

Its still shown on Challenge TV on Sky.

Leave well alone, just like the Adventure Game in fact.

Only certain programmes manage to retain that Childhood magic.

Chorlton, the flumps and Dangermouse. Oh and Jackanory with Rik Mayall. I'd pay big bucks(20p) to see George's Marvellous medicine again.

If you can get over the rather lacklustre quality of the graphics in the pilot, it seems like they've made a decent effort. At least they've kept elements of the original rather than trying to make it 'down with da kidz'.

The use of CG means they can make it more interesting than just using static camera angles, and they can have more ambitious NPCs than the pantomime-quality costumes and actors of the old show. Plus of course they can do away with some of the more tedious bits of steering the dungeoneer, although it rather raises the question of what does the dungeoneer actually *do* now? Do they just lock him in a cupboard with a microphone headset?

If they sort out the graphics (seems reasonable, considering the pilot was made on a pocket money budget by TV standards) and put it on around teatime I'd watch it. Maybe.