rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Sydney Bristow

Frasier Appreciation Thread

Been watching it a lot recently (repeats on Comedy Central and Channel 4 early mornings... although it's usually 4+1 because I rarely get up before 9).

I love the way the characters grow and change over the series. There's the amazing relationship between Frasier and Ros, plus so many great moments with Bulldog (from the tombola to the date with Daphne where he's dragged out of the limo).

But it's Niles who for me is consistently my favourite character. The episode with the three Valentines is just superb, and starts with a beautiful sequence that is just Niles and Eddie.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xW-kzsvX690

• Upvote 4

David Hyde Pierce is one of the most accomplished physical comedians I have ever seen. The guy is an absolute riot.

Totally, in truth his Daphne fixation could have become a clasic bore but he nailed the hiding of it so well with so many great physical and facial expressions that they often became highlights of the show.

He makes the log cabin episode with his fear of everything. :lol:

Niles: I just didn't want to seem ungrateful.Not that I owe them anything; after all, I'm the one that drained it from way downtown.

Frasier: Yes, so we've been hearing.

Niles: Oh Frasier, don't grouse. I've earmarked a pair of practice pants for you.

Frasier: Thank you, Niles, but I'd like to think I've already mastered pants.

• Upvote 1

But it's Niles who for me is consistently my favourite character. The episode with the three Valentines is just superb, and starts with a beautiful sequence that is just Niles and Eddie.

I agree completely with this! I have the whole series boxset and have gone through it 3 or 4 times and still love the show! And Niles is my favourite character by far, that valentines episode you mentioned is one of my favourite moments too. Such brilliant physical comedy from David Hyde Pierce.

When you watch all the seasons close together you really get attached to all the characters Niles plot line had me gripped with his fixation on Daphne and of course Maris. You also notice just how subtle some of the character development can be! Plus you can see Frasier's hair hair recead :)

They do guest stars so well as well. I loved when Michael Keaton was Lilith's half brother who cons Frasier for his money by pretending to be paralysed in a wheelchair. Brilliant episode!

£39 for the complete boxset is a bargain. I adore Frasier, it's only beaten by Seinfeld as my favorite traditional sitcom of all time. Best episode is the one in the log cabin where they all fancy each other.

My favourite episode as well. The setup is so good with Martins blocked ears and it plays out so perfectly. Also Daphnes friend is delightfully skanky.

One other ep. I like is the one where Roz gets Fraiser a job as an after-dinner on a cruise ship. He’s expecting to be speaking alongside Henry Kissenger and these type of speakers. But when he gets to the ship it’s a total rust bucket and the other entertainers include a washed up Lounge singer called the barracuda. Niles and Martin come along and I think Merice ends up on board somehow. It doesn’t get repeated very often but it’s great.

I was feeling a bit down yesterday so I watched a few hours of Frasier. It was life affirming. I almost felt like crying briefly, but Niles kept me smirking. I'm just sad that Frasier had to end. It may possibly have been the best show ever.

• Upvote 2

I find it difficult, nigh on impossible, to accept these characters outside of Frasier. I feel like u know them and nothing since had come anywhere near it, and probably never will. Everyone must have at least one series like that I guess, which is special to them.

The one on comedy central yesterday when Niles is hyperventilating because Frasier, Martin, and Daphne all have their girlfriends over and he's recently divorced. Eventually he just falls off his chair.

Every time someone says "the best episode is..." in my head I go "yeah, it is!"

Then someone says something else and I go "yeah, actually that one is!"

I honestly can't pick a best episode because they're all amazing. There's more memorable moments in Frasier than any other television series ever.

• Upvote 2

For a cultured and intelligent comedy revolving around two Anglophiles and starring two English actors, they really lay it on thick with the British stereotyping oddly. And those Moon accents, cor blimey guv'nor shine a light tally ho.

• Upvote 2

Every time someone says "the best episode is..." in my head I go "yeah, it is!"

Then someone says something else and I go "yeah, actually that one is!"

I honestly can't pick a best episode because they're all amazing. There's more memorable moments in Frasier than any other television series ever.

That's true.

But the best episode is undoubtedly Ham Radio.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZGdcnDQHQM

• Upvote 1

For a cultured and intelligent comedy revolving around two Anglophiles and starring two English actors, they really lay it on thick with the British stereotyping oddly. And those Moon accents, cor blimey guv'nor shine a light tally ho.

Funnily enough, I don't have a problem with that... it's almost like it becomes funnier (to an English audience) because they are so stereotyped. Not forgetting that the brothers appear in one episode and then are played by totally different people (Robbie Coltrane, Richard E Grant et al) in later episodes.

Clive: Daphne, I noticed in the phone book, your surname still is Moon.

Niles: That must be an old book. Now she hyphenates. It's Moon-Crane.

Martin: I remember the first time I ever drove a moon crane. I nearly rolled it into the sea of tranquillity.

• Upvote 2

I'm really getting into Frasier at the minute. Weird thing is that for all its apparent high-brow sophistication, at its heart it's just an old fashioned farce. There was one episode which springs to mind where the brothers open a restaurant which is pretty much Fawlty Towers, I think it even had a "comedy explodey face" scene with Ros.

No complaints though, like I say I'm really enjoying it. Tempted now to watch the episode of The Simpsons with the pair of them in it.

Ken Levine (the one who worked on MASH and Frasier and The Simpsons, not the BioShock guy) used this scene as one of a series of "comedy test" blog posts. In amongst all the replies from people saying it wasn't funny at all or merited a smile at best (:blink:) was this comment from Frasier's co-creator David Lee:

Prize goes to the poster who said it reminded him/her of Mr. Bean. I had recently been introduced to his work and loved a lot of it. I told DHP that I would like to do something like that for him on the show. Couldn't really come up with anything for a while (we didn't want to crib the "turkey on the head" bit,though that wasn't a concern of another sit-com on the air at the time. I do remember in the room having trouble breaking a Valentine story and hitting upon the idea of doing three short stories instead. Two of them involved every character except Niles, so the idea of something for him alone came up. Then the Mr. Bean thought, and then the fire idea. I remember distinctly that once we hit upon that, the details of it came together very, very quickly in the room.

Because of safety concerns, the scene was filmed without the usual studio audience. (It was played to a studio audience later, and those are the laughs you hear). It also had to be done in bits and pieces. The problem is, when there is only one person on stage, what do you cut to? That's where the dog came in--not out of an attempt to be cutsie--but rather to be able to piece it all together.

And of course, as many have said, none of it would have worked without the brilliance of DHP. A wonder he is.

And to the poster who wondered who would make all those mistakes with an iron, fire extinguisher and cleaning materials: how about someone who never or seldom uses them?

A side note now that my memory has been shaken: This was the episode that caused a showdown with the network. We had been complaining that they were giving away plot points and great jokes in their promos for quite awhile, and we knew that every promo would for this episode would be nothing but flames galore. So we did not deliver this piece of it until the day of broadcast. Apoplectic, they were. Lawsuits threatened, even. But they finally came up with a better promo that said something like "The producers of Frasier think this episode is so special, they won't even let us see it."

Now back to my couch.

Comedy central just showed the one where Frasier and Niles go back to night school to study motor car repair. So, so funny. The two lads become trouble makers, sitting in the back row heckling the teacher.

I saw the one where they need to learn to ride bikes for the bike-a-thon the other day too.

"Call me crazy, but I like a bouncy tire"

"Two bouncy tires and a taut chain. That's good riding"

• Upvote 1

There was a brilliant double-bill on Comedy Central yesterday... "Sliding Frasiers", where we see the two outcomes of whether Frasier wears a sweater or a suit to a speed-dating event, and "Hungry Heart" where Daphne's weight gain becomes a problem when she falls and twists her ankle. That leads to one of my favourite lines, as Frasier, Niles and Martin all try to lift her.

"Hey Daph, I just thought of something... it took three Cranes to get you off the floor". Genius.

Totally, in truth his Daphne fixation could have become a clasic bore but he nailed the hiding of it so well with so many great physical and facial expressions that they often became highlights of the show.

I'm on series 5 of the boxset (£39 quid from Cex) and how they handled Niles/Daphne was really good in the first years.

It should have been creepy and unlikeable. Niles is married. He is (at times) creepily stalking Daphne in ways that should be harassment - but they play it so well it's sweet and endearing.

Now on season 9 and this has been by far one of the best shows I have ever seen, the way they handled Daphne and Niles was fantastic and the episode where she finds out his secret feelings for her and the episodes following that until they were together were really touching. Also I kind of think its a shame that Frasier and Roz never became anything more than friends, theres obvious a lot of love and respect between them and they come close a couple of times but always get interrupted before kissing :lol: Im looking forward to watching the final 3 seasons but Im also really sad knowing that that will be it and theres no more Frasier after that :(

If it helps, you can just go back to the beginning and start again, and it's still as amazing as if you'd never seen it at all!

Somehow, knowing what's coming doesn't make it any less funny when it actually happens, probably due to how well the whole thing's played. Best TV show ever.

• Upvote 1