rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Sydney Bristow

Frasier Appreciation Thread

Without a doubt, it has to be the scene where Fraiser discovers Niles and Lilith have slept together in 'Room Service'.

An abridged version:

Lilith: What did we do? What did we do?!?

Niles: Well, first you put your --

Lilith: I know what we did!! What do we do now??!

Niles: Let's just stay calm. These things happen, they happen every day... every day in Arkansas!

Niles: We both know why this happened, last night was simply two wounded people overcome with loneliness, confusion and...

Lilith: Tequila shooters.

Niles: This is the breakfast I always have after a night of passion.

Lilith: Eggs Benedict? That's very rich.

Niles: I only have it once a year.

Lilith: My God.

Frasier: My goddess!

Lilith: You have egg on your face.

Niles: That is an understatement!

Lilith: No, actual egg!

Lilith: Allow me to rebut. What a crock!

Frasier: What?? You didn't do anything wrong?

Niles: I'm a little unclear on that myself, but I'm willing to go along with it.

Frasier: So, isn't this peachy! Everything's turned out just fine for everyone. You two have solved your problems, the waiter recieved a handsome tip, Niles and I have matching bathrobes, and looky here! It's not even 9:30 yet!

Niles: We're an odd little family, aren't we?

• Upvote 2

this is probably my favourite caller bit, Roger is calling into Frasier's radio programme.

Roger: [v.o.] Well, I had a really good year.  I decided hey, why not

reward myself?  So I bought what I really wanted - a forty-

eight foot cabin cruiser.  Want to know how much it cost me? 

I'll tell you how much it cost me: three hundred grand, not to

mention the twenty thou for the custom teak decking.  Now, 

here's my problem: the wife wants to call this incredible

vessel Lulubelle, after her mother.  Lulubelle!  So I say,

"no, we call it the Intrepid.”  So what do you think it should

be called?  Lulubelle or the Intrepid?

Frasier: [after a beat] Roger, at Cornell University they have an

incredible piece of scientific equipment known as the tunneling 

electron microscope.  Now, this microscope is so powerful that

by firing electrons you can actually see images of the atom,

the infinitesimally minute building blocks of our universe. 

Roger, if I were using that microscope right now... I still

wouldn't be able to locate my interest in your problem.  Thank

you for your call.

• Upvote 4

:unsure: I was about to say that after reading topic title! Best joke ever

I forget the episode, but there's a great slapstick (I think) scene with just Niles. There's no talking, just music and he's doing various things like ironing and cooking. It's ends with him setting fire to Fraiser's couch then fainting at the sight of his own blood.

One of my recent favourites is when Martin's girlfriend (the latest one, the one he married) bought him a stylish new cane. Martin then proceeds to show it off in front of Frasier.

Martin: Hey, whaddya think? Add a top hat and I'd be Fred Astaire.

Frasier: Yes. Add a monocle and then you'd be Mister Peanut.

When Frasier and Martin draw up to the traffic lights and Niles is in a crappy 'compact'. Martin says something like "Is that Niles?" and Frasier replies "Don't be silly, he wouldn't be seen dead in such an awful car" (or along those lines). Cue the "Wait a minute, that is Niles!", a tap on the window, Niles looks over... and his face goes mental as he accelerates away.

Martin: "Well come on Mr Six Cylinder German Engineering, catch him!"

Had me laughing for ages.

There's one exchange in Season two's 'The Club' (IIRC, the one in which Niles and Frasier are competing for membership of an exclusive club) that I find particularly witty.

The Head of the club approaches Niles and Frasier.

Head: Ah, you must be the eminent Dr. Frasier Crane.

Frasier: That's right. And this is my brother the eminent Dr. Niles Crane.

Niles: (abashed) Oh, please. Frasier was eminent back when my eminence was merely imminent.

As ever, this is from memory so may be entirely incorrect.

Sorry.

I'm sorry.

I'm so, so sorry.

• Upvote 2

After reading some of these quotes, and remembering back, something becomes incredibly clear. And that is this: Fraiser was fucking shit.

Too many good ones to remember really, but the ballroom dancing episode was great.

A couple of Frasier to Niles jibes, after Niles had bottled out of doing things :-

"Oh yes Niles - I forgot that you were still waiting for that spine transplant."

"It seems that the only thing holding you upright is the starch in your shirt."

After reading some of these quotes, and remembering back, something becomes incredibly clear. And that is this: Fraiser was fucking shit.

Your MUM IS SHIT!

• Upvote 2

remember when they opened their own restaurant? :)

An absolute classic.

:lol:

I love the one where Niles and Frasier are both competing to become Corkmaster at their wine club, and also the radio play episode.

8) :(

just recently bought the 3rd season DVD box and i'm enjoying it as hell!

the funniest sitcom ever? i think so. :P no wonder Frasier have won the most Emmy awards in history.

i must now get the 1st and 2nd season as well. and when the rest of the series are released i will be in heaven.

I wouldn't purchase a box set, but it very well crafted indeed.

I felt it should have finished a few seasons earlier.

I enjoy it, the wit is very subtle which i like and makes it funnier to me. Like talking to posh people, some of the stuff they say just sounds funny and thats what makes it.

I have never watched Frasier religiously, but the episodes I have seen displayed a more sophisticated level of wit than just about all other sitcoms I've seen. As sitcoms go it's great.

It's obviously among the finest sitcoms in the world. That is a fact. Another fact: season five is the best.

HMV Sale have Seasons 1 & 2 for £17.99 each if you'd rather pick it up in person <_<

Anyone know of a cheap Season 3 boxset?

I enjoy Frasier moreso than any other comedy sitcom. As Jim Miles pointed out, there's a sophisticated level of wit associated with it that, IMO elevates it above the rest.

During its 11 Season run though, there were lapses in quality - I think it dipped round Season 4 with the whole homophobic thing.

HMV Sale have Seasons 1 & 2 for £17.99 each if you'd rather pick it up in person <_<

Anyone know of a cheap Season 3 boxset?

I enjoy Frasier moreso than any other comedy sitcom. As Jim Miles pointed out, there's a sophisticated level of wit associated with it that, IMO elevates it above the rest.

During its 11 Season run though, there were lapses in quality - I think it dipped round Season 4 with the whole homophobic thing.

I often see Frasier's humour referred to as sophisticated but IMO it isn't at all.

It often is quite slapstick and usually a comedy of errors.

As much as I love the show (recently bought seasons 1 & 2) the structure can be rather formulaic. Frasier will usually end up making a fool of himself due to his prying. Niles will usually get in a situation where he has to mince around a bit.

Like another great sitcom, Seinfeld, Frasier usually features random events that will come together for the conclusion, although Seinfeld is usually more random though.

Frasier the character has an air of sophitication, Frasier the show doesn't IMO. Just because some jokes are based on Opera or literary greats, doesn't mean they are sophisticated.

• Upvote 1

I don't think anyone would claim Frasier's humour is ultra sophisticated. For me it just shines as being more sophisticated than other sitcoms (I haven't watched much Seinfeld yet m'fraid). For example, the comic timing is much more finely tuned than other shows, I believe.

You're quite right about the slapstick and comedy of errors element but if nothing else that just reminds me of 'har har har' theatrical humour, similar to Shakespeare plays etc.

It was consistently excellent until Niles and Daphne got together, and then got a bit patchy. Although the last series was something of a return to form I thought.