IGNORED

Gamestm Retro Section - Issue 23

roberthazelby

Issue 23 of GamesTM arrived on my doormat earlier in the week, but things have been a bit busy, so I've only just had chance to have a proper look at this month's `Retro` section.

Contents of this month are:

• Retro News - News on CGE2, a special Metroid bonus disc, possibility of a VF2 re-release, new Sonic compilation, music charts from Sept `87, games we played in `87
  • Retro Diary - Forthcoming Retro Events
  • Your Game - Your chance to decide what game is reviewed in the next issue
  • Website of the Month - World of Spectrum
  • Fanzine Corner - ZXF
  • Gone But Not Forgotten - Grandstand Electronic Games
  • The £50 Challenge - What retro stuff can you get for half a ton?
  • Retro Remake - Robocop
  • Clash of The Titans - Spectrum, Amstrad and C64 versions of `Power Drift` go head-to-head
  • It Started With a Fist - The history of side-scrolling beat-em-ups (4 pages)
  • Scrolling Beat-em-Ups Family Tree
  • Classic Machine - The Atari Jaguar
  • Six of The Best - Six `must have` games for the Jaguar
  • Rising Sun Retro - This month obscure SNES platformer Umihara Kawase gets reviewed
  • Great Retro Gaming Moments - Gauntlet 2 "You're It"
  • Games That Time Forgot - Ugh!
  • Review - Rainbow Islands (Arcade)
  • Review - Mega Man Anniversary Collection (Gamecube) (4 page review)
  • Retro Contact - Two pages of letters from the mailbag
  • Classic Console Buyers Guide - Get an idea of what your kit is worth
  • Games Trading Market - Classifieds
  • The Ultimate Collection - This month GamesTM interview, with collector Steven Cooper

The GamesTM `Retro` section continues to evolve, and this month the section makes some space for new additions such as `Your Game` (where you decide what game should appear in the next issue), `Website of The Month` (self explanatory), and Fanzine Corner (where in each issue a different fanzine is covered).

The `Clash of The Titans` section continues, and this month the classic `Power Drift` gets a grilling on all three main 8-bit platforms.

The `Retro Feature`, covering the history of the scrolling beat-em-up must have taken ages to put together. Here, we're treated to 4 pages of classic beat-em-up lowdowns, followed by a two page family tree. A special mention must go to the Crash-style artwork, which runs along the top of the four pages - excellent stuff!

This month's `Classic Machine` is the ill-fated Jaguar, from Atari. Specs, personal views, and a history of the console span two pages. For those of you who know little about Atari's final console, this is a great place to start. As usual, two pages of screenshots are also dedicated to the `Classic Machine` section, giving you some idea of a few of the releases the machine saw. `Six of the Best` continues with the Jaguar, and covers six must have Jaguar titles.

Moving on to `Rising Sun Retro`, and obscure Bionic Commando-like platformer `Umihara Kawase` gets the review treatment, whilst Gauntlet 2 is covered in `Great Retro Gaming Moments`.

Can any of you remember `Ugh`, released by Softek International, way back in 1984? If not, this month's `Games That Time Forgot` should help to fill in the blanks.

Over the page, and Taito's vertically scrolling platformer `Rainbow Islands` gets a double-page review, which also includes a small `Other Highlights of 1987` boxout. An enjoyable read of a great game.

Next-up, and it's into Gamecube territory. Don't panic though. It's a review of Capcom's `Mega Man Anniversary Collection`. A novel review system is used here to obtain the final review score. For those of you who like your platforming antics with a daft difficulty level, the four pages given over to this will not disappoint.

`Retro Contact` contains its usual two pages of readers letters. The person knocking RichM's collection made me chuckle. Retro editor Darran (Strider) Jones soon puts him straight, and even offers him a challenge.

Skipping past the regular `Buyers Guide` and `Games Trading Market` (Classifieds) we get to the final section - `The Ultimate Collection`, which this month see's collector Steven Cooper showing us around his stash.

In my opinion this section of the magazine gets better every issue, and for me is the best one yet.

If you've not got hold of issue 23, do so. You won't be disappointed. If on the other hand you've already got a copy I'd be interested to know what you think of it.

Rob

170 megadrive games isn't bad, unless they are all fifa '91 of course. the rest of his stuff is hardly a collection though.

Though to be fair the pics didn't show much.

Yeah, that's the problem, you only get a taster of what people have. Saying that though, if we included all of Rich's collection, we'd have no room for the rest of the section :lol:

A suggestion - How about a feature on old computer mags? You could interview the journalists who were around in the days of CRASH and ZZAP! In fact you have some of them working with you (Nick Roberts and Phil King).

In the early days of GAMES there was a feature, something like 'Mag of The Month' but it didnt last long - Revive it please!

A suggestion - How about a feature on old computer mags? You could interview the journalists who were around in the days of CRASH and ZZAP! In fact you have some of them working with you (Nick Roberts and Phil King).

In the early days of GAMES there was a feature, something like 'Mag of The Month' but it didnt last long - Revive it please!

That's is actually a cracking idea, although in terms of depth you may well want to suggest that at the Retro Gamer forum (as they have a bit more space to devote to it). As long as it covered mags like The One, Zero, Ace, too, I'd be very happy - even better if they found decent web links!

That's is actually a cracking idea, although in terms of depth you may well want to suggest that at the Retro Gamer forum (as they have a bit more space to devote to it). As long as it covered mags like The One, Zero, Ace, too, I'd be very happy - even better if they found decent web links!

Yeah I buy RG too and they did a feature on Newsfield a few issues back - I just wanted to suggest it to Daran as GAMES havent really covered games journalism for ages now. Perhaps a multi-part feature would be best?.....

Yeah I buy RG too and they did a feature on Newsfield a few issues back - I just wanted to suggest it to Daran as GAMES havent really covered games journalism for ages now. Perhaps a multi-part feature would be best?.....

A newsfield piece was planned several months back (we stopped it at the time because a fair few paragon staff worked on Crash etc and it was feared by the editor at the time that it would be seen as bias.

Anyway Retrogamer ran theirs and I'm now waiting for a suitable amount of time to pass before we look back into it. As for the old magazines that appeared in the early days... I'd love to do proper indepth looks at these, but I can't imagine that our management would be too jzzed about us singing the praises out of Future's (for example) past mags.

Still, it is something I'll look into guys.

A newsfield piece was planned several months back (we stopped it at the time because a fair few paragon staff worked on Crash etc and it was feared by the editor at the time that it would be seen as bias.

Anyway Retrogamer ran theirs and I'm now waiting for a suitable amount of time to pass before we look back into it. As for the old magazines that appeared in the early days... I'd love to do proper indepth looks at these, but I can't imagine that our management would be too jzzed about us singing the praises out of Future's (for example) past mags.

Still, it is something I'll look into guys.

Yeah, but surely it's for the greater good, ie us? :(

Here's hoping, anyway.

With all this talk about features on old games mags from back in `the day`, how about running a multi-part feature on the almighty `Your Sinclair`?

Have a history charting the early days of `Your Spectrum`, then the change to `Your Sinclair`, the move from `Dennis` to `Future`.

Other good things could be such sections as:

- The Trainspotter Award

- Dr Berkmans Clinic (started initially for `Head Over Heels` help)

- Interviews with ex-staff members (Matt Bielby, Stu Campbell, Tzer etc)

A serialised look back at Your Sinclair could certainly go for 3 or 4 issues.

Rob

The only problem with serialised stuff is it's a real pain if your not interested in that particular subject , and have 3 months of it to sit through !

I dont have a complaint with Spectrum stuff but there probably would be some people who do.

The only problem with serialised stuff is it's a real pain if your not interested in that particular subject , and have 3 months of it to sit through !

I dont have a complaint with Spectrum stuff but there probably would be some people who do.

Yeah, but that is true of any feature, serial or otherwise. Besides, it would only be a few pages.

I imagine it'd be hard to implement because of magazine publishing house affiliations though.

Would this still be the case in an article that would (presumably) being showing them in a favourable light?

I'd like to think not but, ah..heck, who am I kidding? <_<

Still, a feature on the lesser lights of the day (Ace, Zero, The One et al) would be interesing. Probably.

It'd be more interesting to see actual reviewers from ye olde days being interviewed. You wouldn't get any mag "bigging up" as it were, because it's likely that most of them are freelance nowadays. I'd quite like to see a "What were you reviewing 20 years ago?" kinda thing, and what stood out when you were on such and such mag, etc.

• 2 weeks later...
The person knocking RichM',s collection made me chuckle. Retro editor Darran (Strider) Jones soon puts him straight, and even offers him a challenge.

Just got back from hols and read that bit. Did have to chuckle myself too :P I did half expect letters like that to be sent in. strider was that the only one or were there a few? Thanks again for doing the feature, was pretty cool to walk in to newsagents miles from home and see a pic of myself :o

Rich

Minor claim to fame...

Other good things could be such sections as:

- The Trainspotter Award

With all the mistakes, etc, in the mag, my Dad wrote the letter that sparked that off, suggesting an award for spotting ',em. I',ll see if I can find the mag but I doubt it has survived my recent moves :)

I can',t imagine that our management would be too jzzed about us singing the praises out of Future',s (for example) past mags.

Shame.

In many ways, I have as much nostalgia for the old mags as I do for the games. As do others -- just mention Oli Frey, Hunter S Minson, Wil Overton, Lunar Jetman, the PIC curve and so on, and you',ll get a response in here.

But Crash!, and Zzapp!, bestride the field like colossi.