Easy Games

InsideOutBoy

Well now. There's the good kind of hard (Ninja Gaiden), and there's the bad kind (Vice City).

I've finished Ninja Gaiden three times, and had a blast every time.

I still haven't completed Vice City because of that fucking absurd "The Driver" mission. I came close to giving up on several occasions before that: all of them on missions which were only made hard by the shitty, shitty on-foot shooting controls.

Story-based games (particularly RPGs) should see the player die as few times as possible. KOTOR, as has already been mentioned, achieved this almost perfectly: the difficulty curve is wonderfully smooth. You'll die if you're careless, but that's never due to enemies with absurdly high attack power or HP - if you exercise a little care and strategy, you'll be fine. No filler, no tedious levelling-up sessions - just smooth, focused, and totally immersive as a result. The only duff bit was the last boss, which was just unfair - you wear him down until he's almost dead, and he runs away and regenerates his health. BASTARD!

I'm fine with shortness too, as long as the shortness is on a cut-out-the-bad-bits-and-only-leave-the-really-good-bits basis. How many RPGs, for instance, have their lifespans artificially extended by the necessity for hours of repetitive, one-dimensional levelling?

In conclusion: hard games are good, if they're also fair. Short games are also good, if the alternative would be a game with acres of filler.

Max Payne 2. I completed it in about three days of casual play. I've got too many unfinished games to go back to it, but I was completely satisfied with the purchase even though I finished it so quickly.

I also really like games that have a real skill to them. NiGHTS is something I play just for the amazing experience that it is. Stringing those links together is cool as fuck and I'm not bothered about completing it or getting involved in that A Life virtual pet thing.

Mastering a track in your favourite racing game and having a thrash in tahmattackmode to enjoy the physics and see how far you can push it, is another example.

Playing for what the game has to offer at its most basic level is often more enjoyable than completing it, for me anyway.

Yes for easy games! On a side not on vice city, Ive got I assume all the building, the money printing, masses of property and done all the missions I can find (cant seem to find much more) yet I cant get the last mission. I oked on gamefaqs and Ive done all the criteria so er, could it be some sort of bug? Too many games these days make me feel like Im working instead of playing yet I still sit there stubbonly hitting retry. im an idiot. As well as stupidly hard games I also dislike stupidly long trekking around with shit random monster ala final fantasy. yet i sit and play. for shameeee. Metal Gear Solid I completed in a day but I loved every single minute of it.

Yes for easy games! On a side not on vice city, Ive got I assume all the building, the money printing, masses of property and done all the missions I can find (cant seem to find much more) yet I cant get the last mission.

I bet the missions you're missing are the ones in the Vercetti mansion. Instead of running up the stairs to your office, as you come into the mansion, turn right. You should see the pink mission circle in front of one of the rooms there.

I'm in the easy game camp. I'll play a fairly good but easy game to completion and say I've enjoyed it. A fairly good but rock hard game won't get finished unless I find myself with a lot of free time, which just isn't likely.

If the game is fantastic, such as Halo or Ninja Gaiden, or as people say those titles that require you to really learn the game like Pro Evolution Soccer, I'll stick it on the hard mode for the best experience.

RE: Messing with the man

I believe this is the mission where you have about two minutes to cause as much havoc as possible, no?

I did it in style after about 10 attempts getting nowhere near. I tooled myself up with a minigun and plenty of ammo, walked out of the bar, stood in the middle of the street, and opened fire, turning on the spot.

That bar shot up in super quick time.

I'm certainly in the easy camp. I'm not a fantastic player by any means, so games that are just unfairly hard are pointless, simple example being cheap tactics that result in plenty of restarts.

I think the key difference is if you know you can do a level with a little more practice, then this is ok. Where something abstract is keeping you from accomplishing something then this causes frustration, for example, the racing mission in Mafia.

Freespace 2 was one of the first (and out of not many) games that allowed you to skip a mission if you failed it five times - I wonder why this approach isn't adopted by more games?

Ok, some games that I've found easy.

Super Mario Sunshine

Beach Spikers

Zelda: The Wind Waker

Burnout 2

TOCA Race Driver 2

Project Gotham Racing

Ok, I guess I didn't find them all easy, but I never got stuck on any section for long, and if I did there was other stuff to keep me entertained until I did do the bit I was stuck on.

I played Vice City up to the rescue Lance mission and stopped there. Not because I failed the mission itself too much but because I hated having to go and get all my guns and stuff again after failing it.

Rez

Is easy to "complete" the first 5 areas, but to unlock everything and truely complete it (ie get the real ending) is very very hard.

What pisses me off is mainly RPGs: they tend to be easy if you level - but if you don't spend 10 boring hours levelling then you're totally stuck. It's nothing to do with skill at all. FFX being a major contender in this arena.

What pisses me off is mainly RPGs: they tend to be easy if you level - but if you don't spend 10 boring hours levelling then you're totally stuck. It's nothing to do with skill at all. FFX being a major contender in this arena.

That's exactly why RPGs are so popular. Anyone can finish them. A less skilled player will have to work a bit harder (level up) but they can get there in the end.

:lol: Those old school platform sections were bloody hard..

Nah, not once you'd figured out the trick to them. There'd also be enough 1-ups in useful places that even if you kept falling off at a certain point, you'd essentially have an infinite number of goes at getting it right.

Clever. Shame about the rest of it, eh? (Etc.)

The case study here is Super Monkey Ball. Tough as fucking nails, but it compelled me to play it through to completion on expert.

A perfect example!

Does anyone remember how good it felt to do Expert 7 for the first time?

SMB is a great example because it requires skill rather than luck or just perseverance.

Same with Ninja Gaiden - if I play it now I can easily defeat many of the enemies who gave me such a headache on the first play. Like the black ninjas.

It's the games that don't require you to learn much and feel hard just for the sake of it. There's no reward, and so the enjoyment just isn't as great.

Everyone who hasn't completed Vice City is crap. Winky smiley obviously... you just need to find a different way of doing whatever you're fucking up and the beauty of that game is that it allows you to that very thing. I finished it the Monday after the Friday I bought it. Then did it again.

The last game I completed was Metal Arms. I really enjoyed it from start to finish and the best thing was I knew I was going to complete it after about an hours play. Perfectly pitched difficulty, no shitty frustrating bits where I didn't know where to go or what to do, short enough levels for a quick blast without having to commit three hours to it at a time. Excellent stuff.

I played Vice City up to the rescue Lance mission and stopped there. Not because I failed the mission itself too much but because I hated having to go and get all my guns and stuff again after failing it.

YES.

Having to do 10 minutes 'prep work' (as I call it) collecting body armour and the right guns to then tackle a mission again is one of the most irritating things ever.

Did Rockstar North read Edge's 10 commandments feature?

And SMB Expert 7: Yes. My playing ability at that game doubled on that level alone.

YES.

Having to do 10 minutes 'prep work' (as I call it) collecting body armour and the right guns to then tackle a mission again is one of the most irritating things ever.

Did Rockstar North read Edge's 10 commandments feature?

And SMB Expert 7: Yes. My playing ability at that game doubled on that level alone.

I just always reloaded my last save, much easier and faster way to get all your gear back.

But annoying both ways.

That Lance saving bit ain't so hard. I used to think it was when I played it first time round. Then a year or so later I went through it for a second time, I was dreading that bit, but went past it first time with ease!

Weird.

That's the bit on VC I gave up on. I did the RC helicopter bit no problem, but really struggled with the 'saving Lance' mission. My fault though - I didn't read the game manual and didn't realise you could shoot whilst driving, which might have helped me a bit. Can't be arsed to go back to it now though.

Spiderman 2 - that was easy enough for me to finish, but hard enough to make me work at it without giving up. Only the main missions though, don't think I can be bothered to do all the extras.

Before I read this topic all the way through, I'd just like to say one thing. A couple of nights ago I completed a level of Perfect Dark on perfect agent setting after failing it a good 8 - 10 times. I can honestly say the mission complete music has never sounded so sweet.

Great. Now what's the easy way to do "Messing with the Man". The single hardest mission in the game.

Get a big vehicle (coach will do) and a big automatic gun. Shoot the coach until it blows and then just keep shooting the wreck. Should complete the mission in about 10 seconds.

If I think of the games I have completed in the last couple of years, they are mostly of the easy/short variety - XIII, Max Payne 1 and 2, Luigis Mansion, Ico, PoP, BG&E, True Crime, Riddick etc. If I don't feel like I am making progress, I give up as I don't have that much time to play games (Metroid Prime is a perfect example of this). I have completed Halo on Legendary and PD on Perfect Agent but with both of those I eased into it on the other levels.

I have never really had a problem with the GTA series as there is loads of other stuff to do if you get stuck and plenty of ways to try approaching the mission.

Out of interest, how do you define 'completing a game'? Is it merely seeing the end credits or collecting everything? I haven't taken every photo in BG&E or collected all of the pearls but I still feel as though I have completed the game.