Easy Games

InsideOutBoy

Yep, I'd much rather play a game through to completion than get stuck and frustrated. I don't have the time to spend hours on a game and so get stuck, then frustrated, then bored.

Thats exaclty how I feel, I want to be able play through the whole game. I'm saying I want to remove any level of challenge but I don't want to get stuck for hours on end in an area where the difficulty spikes.

See consolevanias review of Riddick, I believe they were very harsh towards it in regards to the difficulty. I thought the difficulty was perfect, I died a few times and rarely had to repeat any sections over again.

I guess so, but i'd rather not have to spend hours trying to complete just one section.

Hmmm. To be honest I've been trying to think of an example of something tricky that paid back in satisfaction what it took from me in frustration. The only thing I can think of is getting over 3000 on BT. It was nearly two years after the release of Frequency that I eventually managed to do it. I dance around my room in glorious celebration of my gaming achievements quite often, but when I managed this, I nearly broke my leg down the back of the sofa.

Not really a good example though I suppose, as I could always play a different song when I got bored.

I'm a chronic easy games player at the moment.

The huge backlog of games.

My long work hours.

The fact I hardly have any free weekends to play games.

Playing a game on easy allows me to experience it, and enjoy my now precious gaming time.

ZOE was the first game that started this trend when I played it about this time last year. Finished it in a little over a day.

Others have followed.

NFSU was played primarily on easy (before it got traded)

And various others too.

Bunjengai is going to be played on easy when I get round to it.

Devil may cry will also be played on easy (if it has the option).

Max Payne has been good to me with its autoadjust difficulty and i'm interested to see how this will affect San Andreas (when I get it in about 2006)

The Lance bit isn't so hard if you do what I did. I got a car, smashed it up until it was on fire, drove at full speed towards the junkyard entrance and bailed out. Mobile fucking bomb, oh yes. Then it's simply a matter of slaughtering everyone with a shotgun. I love Vice City.

The only really bastard mission in the game is the Driver, because it isn't entirely fair. Very satisfying, though. Copland is a fucker also.

I loved KOTOR precisely for its ease. A wonderfully relaxing game to play.

That's what I love about Vice City, I was constantly trying to find ways to make missions easier, to kind of cheat at them, without cheating.

Like waiting to do that "kill the golfer" mission when I'd got a helicopter and just swooping down onto the golf course and slicing his head with my rotor blades.

Or using a Rocket Launcher on the last mission, making it alot easier.

Even if it's the best section in the game, and you're enjoying yourself even when you lose? That's what good hard games should feel like.

Like Street Fighter 3: Third Strike. The last boss in that is decent fun to fight against even if you keep losing (for a good few attempts anyway).

In contrast, Capcom Vs. SNK 2's Ult. Rugal (I dunno if it's ultra, ultimate, or ultgay) is super cheap and no fun to play against. Even more annoyingly, I can breeze though the rest of the game on maximum difficulty, but I (almost) always get beat down by him no matter what.

That's what I love about Vice City, I was constantly trying to find ways to make missions easier, to kind of cheat at them, without cheating.

Like waiting to do that "kill the golfer" mission when I'd got a helicopter and just swooping down onto the golf course and slicing his head with my rotor blades.

Or using a Rocket Launcher on the last mission, making it alot easier.

I used a motocycle to jump the hedge where the bridge crosses the road that disects the course, thus allowing me to use guns guns guns! <_<

Do I like easy games? Yes.

Do I like short games? No.

This I agree with. I love games that allows you to immerse yourself for huge periods of time. However, long and hard games are plain boring.

That said, I found the ridiculously easy but terribly long FFTA to be boring within five hours...

I find games very difficult. I'll probably never complete a FF game, ever and have given up on the likes of Metroid Prime and X111.

I was playing Splinter Cell PT the other night - I replayed a mission for about 2 hours and kept dying. I was ready to kill somebody I was so fucking frustrated. I just couldn't work out what you had to do and I was damn annoyed that I couldn't accomplish the level ( its the one in Jerusalem in a underground plant with lots of water underneath walkways ).

I have always wondered what the percentage of people who bought GTA 3/VC and actually completed it is. Less than 1% I'd say.

For me it's a 50/50 situation. I really enjoy games where the pressure on you isn't too big. Animal crossing for example is great, because you can decide when you start paying your debts to Nook, and you are free to do it on your own pace.

But the satisfaction I get when I beat an 'unbeatable' boss on Viewtiful joe (Crazy, gamecube spitting shark, I'm looking at you) is awesome, and make for the better gaming moments I know. :rolleyes:

The game was done. The credits had rolled. I felt like I’d got my money’s worth out the game. The ‘Halo Experience’ could be crossed off my list. Only later did I replay it on hard.

If Halo had only come with Legendary (which some people claim is where the game comes alive), it’d still be on my shelf, unfinished and gathering dust.

I know this is an old argument, but to be honest, unless you've played Halo on Legendary, and stuck with it despite dying numerous times, you haven't actually had "The Halo Experience." Sure, it's still an excellent game on the other levels, but it's just too easy. I breeze through Heroic nowadays, am currently playing Legendary again. Some sections remain tough as nails, while others I really struggled with first time round I now pass unscathed. It's great how your skill level just keeps on progressing after months of play. Bring on whatever is harder than Legendary! :rolleyes:

People differ - I loved Jak 2 despite dying an average of about 50 times on certain sections. Yes, I swore at it, yes I called it a f*cking piece of c*nt sh*te, but I do get my kicks from progressing. I found Beyond Good & Evil way too easy, boring in fact. Very nice atmospherically, but not much in terms of gameplay. I know games nowadays are all about the package, but gameplay and atmosphere was much more balanced in Prince of Persia, which I wouldn't necessarily describe as one of the easiest games ever.

I guess it all depends on how the difficulty level is presented, what happens when you die etc. I found dying in Vice City a real pain in the arse, as I didn't want to go through the whole process of redoing a level every single time. What's wrong with a simple Try again or Continue option?

My vote for one of the best "easy" games go to the first Ratchett and Clank. Easy and short - Sly Raccoon.

The thing with Vice City is that there's often many ways to do a mission and if you're constantly failing at it, you're probably trying the harder way. I think people also try to get into the missions too soon. You should just fuck about collecting parcels, doing Vigilante / Fire Brigade missions for a few weeks, then tackle the story missions. Collecting the packages first will leave you with some kickass firepower at your abode, making many missions a lot easier and cheaper.

Yes, the easy game i like them, many of the best recent gaming experiences I've had have been on "Easy" games - ICO, PoP, Riddick, Jak and Dexter etc

Then I had a think about it and decided it wasn't necessaily easy game i wanted, just ones where I felt I progressed everytime I played it. KOTOR was mentioned before, for me it wasn't that easy - I got to a point where I died oodles of times before working it out - but I didn't get stuck on it. Perhaps the point is that if a game hasn't got points where you do get stuck on it for ages, then by definition it is easy.

Length seems to have no meaning in this either if the difficulty was right - KOTOR was quite a long game, Riddick was a short one - both of them were fab.

On the flip side I don't think I'll ever feel like trying Ninja Gaiden again, it's like this horrible recurring dream where your an unstappable ninja for the first 20 minutes before some kit with nunchuka's fucks you over

I love stupidly hard games, and those you need to work at to improve rather than a casual stroll from start to finish, I see it as a challenge to step up to. I always set the game on hardest from the start (unless you need to unlock it...bah) and thats how i like it. Just playing an easy game i know i won't have any trouble with bores me as i don't feel myself being pushed or learning anything new...its an experience and all but i want the challenge as well.

But hey everyones different, it depends on your skill level at a particular game and whether you have the patience/time to put the extra effort if needed. Its all about playing it so its fun.

I found the radio controlled helicopter mission a nightmare, until after I'd had some practice flying the real helicopters. At that point I went back and did the mission, and it was a piece of piss.

With the Rescue Lance mission, I went helicopter -> sniper rifle -> uzi -> garbage truck. Not too much of a problem.

Driver - just follow him for long enough and he'll crash. Well that's what happened when I played it.

Four Iron - I wasn't as flash as SeanR, I just parked a car next to the hedge and jumped over. Guns a-go-go.

Anyway - yeah, easy games are great. However, when I played Halo on Easy it was shit. Heroic was the first time I had any fun with the game.

I'm debating whether to switch to Easy mode on Far Cry and Doom 3 - seeing as the shooting isn't the most fun part for me.

Great. Now what's the easy way to do "Messing with the Man". The single hardest mission in the game.

Get lots of uzi ammo, get in a car, drive next to a car, shoot it until it blows up, drive to the next car, shoot it until it blows up.

Destroy 10 cars = mission complete.

I'm serious.

I was playing GTA3 once and I had to kill a load of people in an area that required a certain vehicle to access it otherwise it won't let you in. Fed up of pissing about waiting for this car to drive past for me to acquire, and with no weapons, I walked up to the walls surrounding the area, waited for the people to approach the wall I was behind, flipped to the overhead view and took advantage of the bad clipping, punching through the wall...

I've been trying to think of an example of something tricky that paid back in satisfaction what it took from me in frustration.

The case study here is Super Monkey Ball. Tough as fucking nails, but it compelled me to play it through to completion on expert.

Resident Evil on GC though: Hard as nails for the wrong reasons, (inventory management anyone?) and really not much fun to play because of this.

Oh, messing with the man: the mission from the bikers on Vice City were you have to fill the chaos meter using any way you like....