IGNORED

Star Trek Mmorpg

fragglerock

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/3635210.stm

Star Trek universe going online

Several games have already been released based on Star Trek

Fans of Star Trek will have the chance to explore the final frontier in a multi-player online game based on the hugely popular TV series.

http://games.slashdot.org/games/04/09/07/1...0.shtml?tid=209

http://dynamic2.gamespy.com/~starmada/foru...read.php?t=4926

This estimate includes casual online games that are increasingly popular.

Encompassing not only the original TV series but also The Next Generation and Deep Space Nine, there should be something for even the most pedantic of fans.

I guess whoever wrote that reads this place.

I made a post about different ideas for a Trek MMORPG ages ago. They have clearly nicked 'my' idea.

Anyway there is a fan developed project called Destiny's Wind (www.destinyswind.org) which is set post ST:Nemesis and will probably be much better than this. It's also going to be free.

I don't see how this game will please 'even the most pedantic fans' unless they keep the different eras on separate servers. It will royally piss me off if they don't. Also I can see a lot of 'non-canon' mistakes in the offing with this project which is a big no-no for the hardened Star Trek fan.

Repoman: :unsure:

Anyway there is a fan developed project called Destiny's Wind (www.destinyswind.org) which is set post ST:Nemesis and will probably be much better than this. It's also going to be free.

It will never come out.

MMOGS are falling all over the place (warhammer, dragon empires etc) so as for bedroom coding project ...

It will never come out.

MMOGS are falling all over the place (warhammer, dragon empires etc) so as for bedroom coding project ...

Well it's not really 'bedroom' they have a big team of coders, modellers, etc and the guy running it has a server and some stupidly fast line in his home (T1, I think). Anyway, the point is a commercially produced MMORPG will have to be exceptionally good for people to want to pay for it after Activision sullied the name of Trek games for so long.

As an aside there is a fan project around to make an 'Elite Force 3' mod for Half-Life 2 which would be hilarious if it ever comes out.