IGNORED

Nirvana - With The Lights Out

cyd charisse

http://www.nirvanaclub.com/news.html

It's out on November 22, it contains over 50 'previously unreleased' tracks (that is to say, everything on the Outcesticide bootlegs) and, most importantly, it comes in a digipak!

It can often be a burden liking Nirvana in the 21st century, now they've been taken from us by dimwitted cunts in hoodies, but it's still cause to be just little bit excited. Just a little.

I presume they will call this boxset 'Closure' - as its what original Nirvana fans (rather than the behooded masses) have essentially been waiting for since 1994.

I just wonder what these 50 unreleased songs are going to be, as judging from the well researched following:

http://www.livenirvana.com/sessions/index.html

there doesn't appear to be that much unreleased material, particularly in finished studio quality form. There's even less if you take into account the amount of stuff which has already shown up on the Outcesticide series and various other bootleg comps.

I just hope it includes the much sought after 'Fecal Matter' demo tape. Or maybe even their 16/01/93 live performance <_<

I'm a bit dubious about the 'early purchase incentive' DVD they intend to include, as it seems to have 'bought to sell as R@RE on eBay written all over it'.

But anyway, still great news.

E-X

• 2 months later...

I hope you lot don't mind, but I though I'd better bump this.

My pre-order is at play. Sounds like there is plenty of stuff for those without the outcesticide bootleg stuff. :)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B...1318894-2607852

From amazon.co.uk:

Track Listings

Disc: 1

1. Heartbreaker

2. Anorexorcist

3. White, Lace And Strange

4. Help Me I'm Hungry

5. Mrs Butterworth

6. If You Must

7. Pen Cap Chew

8. Downer

9. Floyd The Barber

10. Raunchola

11. Moby Dick

12. Beans

13. Don't Want It All

14. Clean Up Before She Comes

15. Polly (solo)

16. About A Girl

17. Blandest

18. Dive

19. They Hung Him On A Cross

20. Grey Goose

21. Ain't It A Shame

22. Token Eastern Song

23. Even In His Youth

24. Polly

Disc: 2

1. Opinion

2. Lithium

3. Been A Son

4. Sliver

5. Where Did You Sleep Last Night

6. Pay To Play

7. Here She Comes Now

8. Drain You

9. Aneurysm

10. Smells Like Teen Spirit (demo)

11. Breed

12. Verse Chorus Verse

13. Old Age

14. Endless, Nameless

15. Dumb

16. D-7

17. Oh The Guilt

18. Curmudgeon

19. Return Of The Rat

20. Smells Like Teen Spirit (Butch Vig Mix)

Disc: 3

1. Rape Me (solo)

2. Rape Me

3. Scentless Apprentice

4. Heart Shaped Box

5. I Hate Myself And I Want To Die

6. Milk It

7. Moist Vagina

8. Gallons Of Running Alcohol Flows Through The Strip

9. The Other Improv

10. Serve The Servants

11. Very Ape

12. Pennyroyal Tea

13. Marigold

14. Sappy, aka Verse Chorus Verse

15. Jesus Doesn't Want Me For A Sunbeam

16. Do Re Mi

17. You Know You're Right

18. All Apologies

Disc: 4

1. Love Buzz

2. Scoff

3. About A Girl

4. Big Long Now

5. Immigrant Song

6. Spank Thru

7. Hairspray Queen

8. School

9. Mr Moustache

10. Big Cheese

11. In Bloom

12. Sappy

13. School

14. Love Buzz

15. Pennyroyal Tea

16. Smells Like Teen Spirit

17. Territorial Pissings

18. Jesus Doesn't Want Me For A Sunbeam

19. Talk To Me

20. Seasons In The Sun

where is the cheapest place to buy gonna be though the cheapest Ive seen is amazons 38.99 any advance on that?

Amazon is now £36.99, 101cd £40.99, Play £37.99, CD-WOW £36.99

So Amazon wins, due to being equal in price and no risk of customs charges.

Amazon shipped mine yesterday. It wasn't always the case but Amazon have become very good at getting items with free shipping to you on the release date recently.

I've read quite a few of the reviews and none of them have been overlyy positive, and I get the impression that the DVD will be the best part of this box set. Jeez, am I going to be depressed after I've sat through all four discs of this... I'll just have to end on Beans

Amazon shipped mine yesterday. It wasn't always the case but Amazon have become very good at getting items with free shipping to you on the release date recently.

I've read quite a few of the reviews and none of them have been overlyy positive, and I get the impression that the DVD will be the best part of this box set. Jeez, am I going to be depressed after I've sat through all four discs of this... I'll just have to end on Beans

Mine was posted on Friday from Play. I just hope it isn't a big pile of shit.

Anyway, no it isn't a big pile of shit.

In fact, its great.

I agree fully, I just couldn't be bothered to talk about it because some other dipshit started another thread and the whole expereience left a cold and bitter taste in my mouth, not unlike a woman I once knew.

I was surprised by how good it is. It's worth it for the Seasons in the Sun video alone. I've never cared much for Kurt Cobain the martyr and all that shit, but I found it unusually moving. It's a good way to remember them as a band when faced with all those miserable teenage hoodies. I also like Do Re Mi, which I had never heard before, and his voice sounds pretty much gone on it. The Leadbelly tracks are great, too, and I like most of the acoustic tracks, but I don't know why Opinion sounds so poor compared to the bootleg, and why Been a Son is faded out.

I'm also unsure as to whether the versions of Breed and Smells Like Teen Spirit, which sound like crappy MP3s of the album versions, are totally necessary, especially when the likes of the cover of Kiss's Do You Love Me? aren't on here.

It's altogether rather excellent but there's still enough material on the Outcesticide and other bootlegs for another one. For instance, apart from the early live take on the DVD of this set, Spank Thru still hasn't made it to an official release yet.

I also agree that while it looks great, the shape of the packaging makes it a bit of a nuisance when it comes to finding a place on my shelves for it, and it will probably have to be stored in the cupboard.

Only just got around to watching the DVD. I'm utterly blown away. Tops an amazing package which is a must for anyone who loved the band.

To summarise, it charts the rise of the band, from playing in Krist's mother's house, to playing to packed auditoriums post-Nevermind. And I won't spoil it, but the song it finishes on left me smiling, but incredibly sad. Fantastic.

Only just got around to watching the DVD. I'm utterly blown away. Tops an amazing package which is a must for anyone who loved the band.

To summarise, it charts the rise of the band, from playing in Krist's mother's house, to playing to packed auditoriums post-Nevermind. And I won't spoil it, but the song it finishes on left me smiling, but incredibly sad. Fantastic.

Right, that's sold it to me. I wasn't sure whether to get this for my wife for Christmas, but I think I will now. She's going to love it.