September Hip Hop Recommendations

esar

Welcome back to the land of the falling rain man!

That Muro mix looks damn good...I'm sure I've heard that Sparkdala tune somewhere recently...I'll have a dig around as I can't remember where though.

Will definitely be booking tickets for The Roots soon...never seen 'em before. 'Bout time I did!

Did you hit up any independant shops for your purchases or was it straight HMV-style all the way?

Good to hear about the Roots, got ticket number 5 for Nottingham - I was worried that they might be all coffee table stylings but it sounds not.

On a Madlib related note, Quasimoto's The Unseen appears to have been reissued today for all those who haven't got it yet - Play are awaiting stock.

Did you hit up any independant shops for your purchases or was it straight HMV-style all the way?

I did all my purchasing in HMV and Tower, yeah, but over there those places are like entire castles of awesomeness. I did look in all the little secluded record shops and listened to some weird stuff too, though. Out there every building you go past has a different little store on every floor. You'd have a record shop on F1, a clothes shop on F2, an Italian restaurant on F3, a strip club on F4 and a hairdressers on F5 (complete with Pete Rock propaganda). There was a record shop everywhere you looked. Crate diggers take note: Get out there.

Trainer heads also take note: shoe shops EVERYWHERE. Lots of exclusive Dunks, shelltoes and Air Force 1's & 2's. Ghostface would be pleased to know you can buy navy blue and cream Wallabies from the Clarks store, too. Boom!

And if Crisps is reading: I'll still send you that copy of the Quas album if you're still up for it. I printed a cover and everything. Same goes for jrisgod and the Dr Octagon copy I promised. I'm fucking wack at this sending CD's to forumites lark. Das and esar I aint :lol:

Right. So my new local has the following available cheapish. Please advise:

B00005MLVF.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

DJ Krush / Zen

I like his mid-90s stuff, have sort of lost track after that. Did he do a DJ Cam or is this still funky (without being packed with dull guest rappers)?

d84541wah1t.jpg

Dan The Automator / A Better Tomorrow

I like Dr Octagon, Deltron 3030, Handsome Boy Modelling School, Music To Make Love... So I'm gonna like this, right?

Please help me spend my money.

Yo, Teefs. Dunno if you ended up getting these yet. I'll share my thoughts. That Krush album is boring as hell, Song 1 excluded. It was recently featured on that Bang & Oloffsen/Hewlett Packard advert with the bullet-time b-boy. 'Krush,' 'Meiso' and 'Code 4109' remain his only essential albums, in my opinion, although I've read lots of good things about his brand new one. Anyone heard that yet?

As for the Automator album: yes, you'd love it. It's like Octagon but without the wacky concept. Just straight forward, non-generic headnod future ish. You know: after A Better Tomorrow, Doc Oc and Deltron I had Automator down as my favourite new school producer. But he's been so damn quiet lately. Incidentally, if you're as big a fan of his beats as you claim to be then you really need to track down this slept-on hidden gem:

B00000HYAK.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

A joint album from Dan and DJ Shadow (although Shadow is credited under his real name of Josh Davis) constructed from funky samples taken from low-budget 70's Bollywood spy flicks and kung-fu movies. Awesome basslines, wah-wah licks and OTT cinematic strings. Lots of nice wee Indian sounds in the blend too. Sitars and flutes and that. It might be a fucking nightmare to track down now, though. I could maybe hook you up with one of my fabled albums-copied-for-forumites.

Blaow!

Welcome back Cal, Japan sounds fucking dope!

That dj Muro thing looks ill, Sparkdala is my favourite Quas track, in fact that whole Dj Design ep is pretty damn good. One for the next mix cd.

I'd love a copy of that Disney Bossa Nova if your doing bootlegs?

Yeah, shouldn't be a problem es my man. Crispin Glover and jrisgod will tell you that I'm a nightmare getting these CD's out to folk though.

I also remembered today this cigarette vending machine that I saw in the Shibuya club 'Womb.' It had been customised by Futura 2000. I made sure to take a snap. I'll try and post it some point. I saw a lot of awesome graf out there. Some real famous writers such as Dose and Haze.

Yo. Finally remembered to come here and post. The show I was playing at was kind of a washout, and we just about broke even on door fees (pretty much because I invited loads of my mates down). The place was mostly empty while I was playing, and so I figured there wasn',t much harm in playing Jump Around by House Of Pain when they asked for it.

They asked for it 3 times. I played the original twice, then the Pete Rock remix. I am a weak, weak man.

Then when I was done we left to go drinking, and almost emptied the place. I would have stayed but I figured I owed my mates something for turning out for me. Still, I reckon I',ll be less scared next time I DJ somewhere, now I know what to expect. And I',ll use my own equipment too (rather than Nucleuz',s decks. They suck the balls).

Dai, did you catch any of it?

Once again I',m too caught up in other things to be around much, but had to make time to point out I',m halfway through De La Soul',s The Grind Joint and it',s hot.

Great news. Lots of collabo',s on it and I still wonder if it',ll feel a little thin and drawn out but hey, Ill trust your judgement for now.

Also Cal - can I be really cheeky and ask for a copy of that boss nova disney. Flutes yknow, Im a sucker for them too. (Along with Violins, Trumpets, Horns &amp, Organs ,) )

Once again I',m too caught up in other things to be around much, but had to make time to point out I',m halfway through De La Soul',s The Grind Joint and it',s hot.

Really didn',t have high hopes, but am loving it so far.

I love the Ghostface track, haven',t heard the rest though, sounds interesting.

Kind of related I guess, saw ',Shogun Assassin', last night after it arrived from Play.com (£3.99).

The music is absolutely awesome, I immediately went and stuck on Liquid Swords after it finished. Seriously though, the quotables used by RZA are quality, but you need to see the movie to appreciate just how good the music he sampled really is. The scene with the old &quot,Choose the sword, and you will join me...&quot, didn',t disappoint either. An excellent kung-fu flick as well.

[pedant attack]Liquid Swords is a GZA album, not a RZA one and Shogun Assassin is a samurai movie, not a kung fu one.[/pedant attack]

:P

I feel better now.

Right, here',s something i',ve never recommended to anyone before, buy the new Hip Hop Connection magazine!,

There',s a free cover mounted Brand Nubian mixtape with this months issue to promote their new album and instead of the usual 30 mins of album cuts quickly mixed together this is 120mins of exclusive freestyles, guest spots and classics!,

includes Punks Jump Up, All For One, Pete Rock and CL Smooth',s ',Skinz',, Slow Down, Notorious BIG, DITC, Big L, Guru, Kool G Rap and shit loads more for £3.25!,!,!,

The magazine',s still terrible though.

Right, here',s something i',ve never recommended to anyone before, buy the new Hip Hop Connection magazine!,

There',s a free cover mounted Brand Nubian mixtape with this months issue to promote their new album and instead of the usual 30 mins of album cuts quickly mixed together this is 120mins of exclusive freestyles, guest spots and classics!,

includes Punks Jump Up, All For One, Pete Rock and CL Smooth',s ',Skinz',, Slow Down, Notorious BIG, DITC, Big L, Guru, Kool G Rap and shit loads more for £3.25!,!,!,

The magazine',s still terrible though.

120 mins :)

I got the Beatnuts one, it',s about 40 minutes long. Cracking mix though.

[pedant attack]Liquid Swords is a GZA album, not a RZA one and Shogun Assassin is a samurai movie, not a kung fu one.[/pedant attack]

I was referring to the production by the RZArector, and not the actual album itself. But I admit I was wrong about the samurai/kung-fu thing.

I should be picking up HHC in about an hour for that mixtape thing. Sounds good.