September Hip Hop Recommendations

esar

I just got back from the pub meeting with Nukleuz and Explicit, who are the MCs playing this show I'm DJing at tomorrow night. Explicit didn't have any CDs with them, but I no longer care if they're any good or not. If they're anywhere near as funny in their raps as they are in person, then they're deffo worth seeing.

Looks like I'll be on from 10 till 11.30. Bit scared as this means I'll have to extend the set a bit beyond what I had in mind. Also I probably won't hang around to see the other acts anyway, seeing as I have to go out and see off the couple people I know who are off to uni this weekend.

That beat is my cutting practice beat, its dope. Its allways in the record bag!

Btw, welcome back mate.

Wtf is that Ghostface/MFDoom thing? It looks fucking amazing. Funnily enough I was listening to GF and MF back to back on my way to work this morning and was pondering their similarities.

Whenever I play out I allways get at least 1 drunken girl coming up asking for Kelis or something or a bloke asking for 50 Cent so I allways carry something like De La Soul's - All Good or that Ol Dirty & Kelis tune for the honey's and Mobb Deep's - Shook One's usually goes down ok for the fella's.

Just in case.

Yeah I know what you mean...we get that in a city centre bar that we play in where they used have a DJ playing R'n'B/commercial stuff all the time...but then the managers kicked him out and banned R'n'B from the venue! :)

Shook Ones ain't that commercial though is it?! It's heavy!

Easy boys, back from Malta and man it's depressing trying to get used to this weather again  :)

Dai, you know the Dapa guy djing at your night, is he from Brighton?

Easy Das, welcome back to the cold world man...damn autumn is kicking in...

Nah, that Dapa's Bristol based...why? Do you know of someone with the same name?

I just got back from the pub meeting with Nukleuz and Explicit, who are the MCs playing this show I'm DJing at tomorrow night. Explicit didn't have any CDs with them, but I no longer care if they're any good or not. If they're anywhere near as funny in their raps as they are in person, then they're deffo worth seeing.

Looks like I'll be on from 10 till 11.30. Bit scared as this means I'll have to extend the set a bit beyond what I had in mind. Also I probably won't hang around to see the other acts anyway, seeing as I have to go out and see off the couple people I know who are off to uni this weekend.

I should be there. I'll hopefully get down in time to check your set. Will be hanging around too as I should check Nukleuz out.

Awww! I can't open any of those Ghostface/MFDoom files. I get a message sayting its a file that Quicktime doesn't understand and I can't even see the files through iTunes.

Fucking Macs!

Wouldn't worry too much, most of the tracks are regular tunes, compilation style. And the rest are some dodgy bootleg instrumental/acapella mixes that have been chucked together. Bit like that Nastradoomus thing.

Yo Esar, after listening to that Rza Mixtape you posted up, I dug this out.

B00005OAAM.02.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Barely got a listen when I bought it, but it's actually got some really dope tunes on it! I reckon it's well worth picking up. Wicked tune called "Do You" with Gza and some mug called Prodical and of course "It must be Bobby" is on there aswell.

Wouldn't worry too much, most of the tracks are regular tunes, compilation style. And the rest are some dodgy bootleg instrumental/acapella mixes that have been chucked together. Bit like that Nastradoomus thing.

Yo Esar, after listening to that Rza Mixtape you posted up, I dug this out.

B00005OAAM.02.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Barely got a listen when I bought it, but it's actually got some really dope tunes on it! I reckon it's well worth picking up. Wicked tune called "Do You" with Gza and some mug called Prodical and of course "It must be Bobby" is on there aswell.

At last, somone else who like theBobby Digital tuff.

Thats a good album right there, Glocopop is a tune and a half.

I loved the first one too Bobby Digital in stereo.

I have just picked up the following.

Big L - Lifesyles of......

And I noticed a cameo form a very young Jay-Z , he is on graveyard, 4th verse.

Since das put Lord Finesse' "Set me off baby pah" on that mixtape I have been loving that whole era.

Gangstarr-The Ownerz

Skinnyman-Council Estate Of Mind

Talib & Hi-Tek Reflection Eternal

All of the above wen have spoke about many time, If you dont own them, get them now.

Now a plea to all heads out there. If anyone could sort me out with a copy of Skitz-Countryman on cd I will be forever in your debt, mine was nicked when some teefs broke into my motor, now I want to put it on my Ipod.

Help a fellow head out yo' :(

I do indeed.

Fuckin hell my tan's not gonna last two seconds with this weather  :lol:

Ah well, maybe they could battle for the name or somethin'.

Re. Bobby Digital...I got the first album and quite enjoyed it, in a 'this is a bit different' type of way, but ain't heard that Digital Bullet...I'll try to pick up a copy soon.

Paying money for me night has meant that I haven't been able to pick up much new stuff recently though :lol:

Oh Das btw...those other mixes you sent me are dope mate, liking them both a lot. Cheers again for dem.

I'm a big fan of the first Bobby Digital album, it's got a great sound to it - kinda rough but clean at the same time, unlike anything else I've heard - loads of discordant noises. I got a copy of the Birth of a Prince album, but beyond a track called Fast Cars which has classic piano-led Rza production there ain't a great deal of quality on it, shame. I'd never imagine in the early 90s that he'd produce a track like We Pop either - it's just :huh:

Check this out for some quality beats-

Daily Situations

The meeting point between El-P and Timbaland. It's a shame that more D&B producers don't try their hand at hiphop, I'd be interested to hear what UFO can cook up in the future.

Been listening to lots of stuff (new to me) recently:

B00000DALS.02._OU02_PIuk-r-fp-1299,BottomRight,10,10_SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Love it! Thought the collaborations might be a bit weak - and they are compared with the other tracks - but its only really the Busta one that Im not feeling.

B00004S8B6.02.MZZZZZZZ.jpg

The Madlib remixes are O.K. but thats about it. Shame.

B000023Y33.02._OU02_PIuk-r-fp-1099,BottomRight,10,10_SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Nicely chilled out, but with some deceptively dark beats. Clockwork is currently my favourite. I've never liked his rapping style before but it just seemed to click with me recently.

Cee-Lo Green and His Perfect Imperfections

Bit of a dissapointment. Its just a bit bland generally and has none of the energy that his newer "Soul Machine" alb has.

Gangstarr - Step Into The Arena

I love Gangstarr so I thought it was about time I got this one. Very consistent and prehaps my favourite out of everything this week.

B00004SZFX.02._OU02_PIuk-r-fp-499,BottomRight,10,10_SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Great little single/EP. "A Tree Never Grown" has the best beats and rhymes, but is also among only a handful of hip-hop songs that I can feel content just listening to the instrumental.

Finally, is this as interesting as it looks:

B000023Y9X.02.MZZZZZZZ.jpg

The concept certainly appeals.

Kind of related I guess; saw 'Shogun Assassin' last night after it arrived from Play.com (£3.99).

The music is absolutely awesome; I immediately went and stuck on Liquid Swords after it finished. Seriously though, the quotables used by RZA are quality, but you need to see the movie to appreciate just how good the music he sampled really is. The scene with the old "Choose the sword, and you will join me..." didn't disappoint either. An excellent kung-fu flick as well.

Anybody else looking forward to R.A the rugged mans new album?

Yeah, definitely. Vordul Megilah's albums coming out the same time (November) through Nature Sounds and the tracks i've heard so far are ill.

@Das, I seem to remember an Alcoholic Auther remix thingy being mentioned a while back on some white label thing, i've never seen or heard it though.

@MW Jimmy, Agreed on the Hip Hop for Respect single. That 'A Tree Never Grown' track is beautiful. And as for the Prince Of Theives someone was telling me that they thought that was a slept on classic the other day. I've got it at home but never really given a proper listen 'cos i've never got round to putting it on minidisc.

I got too many dope albums this month:

UN - Are U N or are U OUT (nice, I need to get into it more but the beats are tight coming from Large Professor and Alchemist among others)

Masta Ace - A Long Hot Summer (Ill. A future classic I reckon, the whole albums just so easy to listen to - Highly recommended)

Insight - Blast Radius (Got it last night, sounds dope so far)

Theodore Unit - 718 (its Ghostface so its quality of course - The Drummer is such a dope track)

Akinyele - Live At The Barbecue (unreleased 90's joints on Eastern Conference - Fucking dope, another highly recommended)

In case some of you weren't aware:

http://the-breaks.com/

Simply enter the name of the sampling artist or the song title (and choose the appropriate option from the drop-down) and the site will tell you which piece of music the song samples, as well as the artist and the original album it was from.

Its a lifesaver for finding those funky, little-known James Brown classics.

omedeto.gif

KONICHIWA!

WATASHI WA BACK IN DA PLACE DESU!

Yeah, Tokyo blew minds. HMV Shibuya has entire EA-style massive instore displays devoted to Stones Throw Records. The place was hip-hop crazy (unfortunately it was mostly extreme Rap'n'Bullshit nonsense, but it was interesting nontheless).

And The Roots show was awesome. Book tickets for their November UK dates, y'all. It was good:

spoilers:

Live instrumental versions of old school ish medleyed up with their 'Melting Pot' track and crowdpleasing cheese. Featuring Planet Rock, Award Tour, Apache, Crazy In Love (crowd goes nuts), I Need Love (LL's prime poof-rap) and other such stuff. Look out for the insane version of 'You Got Me' that they're playing on this tour. The first verse was reggae-styled, the second was thrash metal. Cover versions of Led Zep's Top Of The Pops theme, Michael's 'Beat It' (sang by Questlove) and NORE's I Came To Party.

It was flipping awesome. Later that night I saw Black Thought stumbling around the streets of Shibuya, pissed as a fart and clutching a bottle of wine.

Oh yeah. I guess I should also share with you the albums that I bought out there.

The Japan-only mixtape from Tokyo's DJ Muro, construced entirely of Stones Throw greats and rarities. Jazz, funk, breaks and hip-hop:

734.jpg

MURO STONED

1 Jaylib / L.A.To Detroit

2 Rasco feat. Planet Asia / Take It Back Home

3 Charizma & Peanut Butter Wolf / My World Premiere

4 Charizma & Penut Butter Wolf / Devotion '92

5 Breakstra / Sister Sanctified

6 Breakstra / Getcha Soul

7 Breakstra / Cramp Your Style

8 Highlihjters / Funky Sixteen Corners

9 Ernie & The Top Notes Inc. / Dap Walk

10 C$ Money & Dj Chase / Put'em To Rest

11 Dooley O / Watch My Moves 1990

12 Dj Design feat. Madlib and Quasimoto / Sparkdala*

13 Madvillain / America's Most Blunted

14 Wildchild / Wonder Years

15 Wildchild feat. Percee P & Medaphoar / Knicknack 2002

16 Wildchild / Heart Beat (Remix)

17 M.E.D a.k.a. Medaphoar / Don't Sleep

18 Madlib Invazion / Track Two

19 M.E.D. a.k.a. Medaphoar / Place Your Bet

20 Quasimoto / Come On Feet

21 Quasimoto / Microphone Mathematics

22 Quasimoto / Return Of The Loop Digga

23 Madlib / Theme For Fergus

24 Lootpack / Anthem

25 Beat Conductor / Call It Pay Back

26 M.E.D a.k.a. Medaphoar / Special (Unreleased)

27 Yesterdays New Quintet / Elle's Theme

28 Yesterdays New Quintet / Life's Angles

29 Mr Magic & Pookie Blow / Earth Break

30 Co-Real Artists / What About You (In The World Today)

31 Breakstra / Chicken

32 Cut Chemist & Medaphoar / Blind Man

33 Beat Conductor / Ashby Road

*fucking awesome track that I'd never heard before. Funkiest shit I've heard in years.

quasimoto_unseeninst.jpg

QUASIMOTO - THE UNSEEN: INSTRUMENTALS

098.jpg

DISNEY BOSSA NOVA

Some mad Jap concept album by a Japanese Bossa Nova collective who reworked a bunch of Disney themes. I got it for the flutes. Should be good for sampling.

And of course, no hip-hopper's trip to Japan would be complete without this Japan exclusive:

B00004VT9G.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg