September Hip Hop Recommendations

esar

Alrite Dai! Remember to let us know when your next bash is on, i'm still well up for a trip down Brizzle.

Easy mate...Here's the info...

FUNKIFIED

On Friday 17th September 2004.

Featuring the one and only...

DJ YODA

Plus, live and most certainly direct...

LOWER CASE (Aerosolik Records)

And, doin’ the DJ thang...

FIVE-STYLEZ

GRADE A

AUDIOSNAX

Upstairs in the newly refurbished café...

DJ RAM

SHIFTY

LOW PROFILE

DAPA

@ Thekla, East Mud Dock, The Grove, Bristol.

Doors – 10pm to 3am. Price - £8.00 / NUS £7.00. Advance tickets available from Replay Records (Park Street & Bedminster), Imperial Records, Park Street & Bristol Ticket Shop, Broadmead, Bristol, priced £7.00.

Email info@funkified.co.uk for more details.

I'd post up the flyer but I'm a bit thick when it comes to these things...I'd need to have it hosted wouldn't I?

Be good to see you there esar! Let me know if you can make it. And everyone else is welcome too of course!

More UK goodness to come next month...

Guest jabberwock1977
Does anyone go to Kela's Herbal nights?

There's one tonight and I have to be there. Anyone else?

My mate manages kela and therefore goes regularly... keeps asking me to come but I haven't managed it yet. I can never find the motivation to drag myself to east london. Who knows, might happen tonight though.

My mate manages kela and therefore goes regularly... keeps asking me to come but I haven't managed it yet. I can never find the motivation to drag myself to east london. Who knows, might happen tonight though.

Old Street isn't proper East London. I wish it was. I live in E1 and work in Wapping.

PM me if you're going.

Whoa! Looks like I have a DJing gig on thursday, playing at the Thekla in Bristol. I'll be playing funky hiphop stuff, leading up to 2 (slightly rubbish) MCing acts. I'm shit scared mind, cause all I've done is parties up till now. It's the 16th Sept, and I'll be on quite early (like 10-ish). Come represent!

Any tips for planning a First Set Evar?

Yeah man, try and plan out your set and practice a few solid mixes so if you get there and the sound or setup is shit you won't fuck up too much but be prepared to ditch your planned set and go with the flow. Its just to calm your nerves soyou're prepared really.

And take a big cross-section of styles including a few commercial bits because you will definately get asked for 'The new Nerd/Justin/Kelis/Whatever the latest R&B type thing is' and even if you haven't got exactly what they ask for its better than not having anything they'd like at all.

And try and relax and not think about it too much otherwise you'll get too nervous. A couple of beers usually does the trick but not too many, obviously.

I hope that helps. Let us know how it goes dude.

Well unfortunately I don't have any commercial R&B less than like 10 years old (Luniz rules!), but I'll do the rest of what you said. It's not my first ever set really, just the first where peeps will have paid to come in to hear.

Also, roughly how many tracks is a 90 minute set? And what do I do if my crossfader breaks? Or if I forget how to mix? Argh!

*panics*panics*panics*panics*

I've heard thats meant to be good. I can't find it anywhere though.

Yeah, if anyone wants a copy drop me a PM and I'll post one out. I've also got Waterworld which is the original release of the album which has a couple of different tracks/versions. They're only copies though, the originals are really hard to get hold of.

Nice website here: Art of Rhyme

Got it from the Lex Records email update, loads of audio streams.

Anyone heard the new J-Zone? I've been listening to some of his albums recently and the production is so tight, genuinely funny lyrics too.

Well unfortunately I don't have any commercial R&B less than like 10 years old (Luniz rules!), but I'll do the rest of what you said. It's not my first ever set really, just the first where peeps will have paid to come in to hear.

I doubt your need commercial r'n'b in The Thekla. Its never seemed that sort of place to me. I work just down the road from it and have been there a fair few times. Its not huge but its a good little club for keeping the atmosphere.

Daimond D can tell ya a bit more about it as he's got a bi-monthly night there called Funkified. I'm sure he'll fill you in tomorrow.

I would love to come down and watch but I'm skint as skint can be. :lol::angry:

Sorry mate but good luck

Whats the two slighty rubbish MC-ing acts?

B0002X94YS.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B...1977082-1427846

Check this out:

Wu-Tang Clan is releasing a new CD plus a DVD containing live performances from their concert in San Bernardino, CA on July 17, 2004. The album and DVD will be in stores September 28, 2004 and are both called Disciples Of The 36 Chambers: Chapter 1.

Besides 34 different songs, the DVD contains many bonuses including never before seen footage from the archives plus interviews from the day of the show.

The DVD also has many bonus features including never before seen archival footage and interviews from day of show (with all members except ODB and GZA).

However the CD version contains 27 tracks, but has two different bonuses: the never before released video from RZA for the song Chi Kung and the video Grits with Masta Killa.

DVD track listing:

01 : Bring Da Ruckus

02 : Da Mystery Of Chessboxin'

03 : Clan In Da Front

04 : C.R.E.A.M.

05 : Wu-Tang Clan Ain't Nuthin' Ta F' Wit

06 : Shame On A Nigga

07 : Ghost Deini

08 : Reunited

09 : Duel Of The Iron Mic

10 : For Heavens Sake

11 : Criminology

12 : Incarcerated Scarfaces

13 : Brooklyn Zoo

14 : Grid Iron Rap

15 : Bring The Pain

16 : It's Yourz

17 : Liquid Swords

18 : One Blood Under W

19 : Ice Cream

20 : Triumph

21 : Da Rockwilder

22 : Cherchez LaGhost

23 : Careful (Click, Click)

24 : In The Hood

25 : Run (The Pillage)

26 : Run (The Pretty Toney Album)

27 : Tearz

28 : M.E.T.H.O.D. Man

29 : Dog Shit

30 : Shimmy Shimmy Ya

31 : Y'All Been Warned

32 : 4th Chamber

33 : Gravel Pit

34 : Do You Really (Thang, Thang)

CD track listing:

01 : Bring Da Ruckus

02 : Da Mystery Of Chessboxin'

03 : Clan In Da Front

04 : C.R.E.A.M.

05 : Wu-Tang Clan Ain't Nuthin' Ta F' Wit

06 : Shame On A Nigga

07 : Ghost Deini

08 : Reunited

09 : For Heavens Sake

10 : Criminology

11 : Incarcerated Scarfaces

12 : Brooklyn Zoo

13 : Bring The Pain

14 : It's Yourz

15 : Liquid Swords

16 : One Blood Under W

17 : Ice Cream

18 : Triumph

19 : In The Hood

20 : Run (The Pillage)

21 : Run (The Pretty Toney Album)

22 : Tearz

23 : M.E.T.H.O.D. Man

24 : Dog Shit

25 : Shimmy Shimmy Ya

26 : Y'All Been Warned

27 : Gravel Pit

Whoa! Looks like I have a DJing gig on thursday, playing at the Thekla in Bristol. I'll be playing funky hiphop stuff, leading up to 2 (slightly rubbish) MCing acts. I'm shit scared mind, cause all I've done is parties up till now. It's the 16th Sept, and I'll be on quite early (like 10-ish). Come represent!

I'm gonna be coming down to that mate...Got to chuck some flyers out & check out Nukleuz as he's been asking me for a gig for a while. He's the one doing the night I think. Is he one of the 'slightly rubbish' acts?!

What's your DJ name? I'll get down early to check your set.

Yeah man, try and plan out your set and practice a few solid mixes so if you get there and the sound or setup is shit you won't fuck up too much but be prepared to ditch your planned set and go with the flow. Its just to calm your nerves soyou're prepared really.

And take a big cross-section of styles including a few commercial bits because you will definately get asked for 'The new Nerd/Justin/Kelis/Whatever the latest R&B type thing is' and even if you haven't got exactly what they ask for its better than not having anything they'd like at all.

And try and relax and not think about it too much otherwise you'll get too nervous. A couple of beers usually does the trick but not too many, obviously.

I hope that helps. Let us know how it goes dude.

Nah, no r'n'b needed at Thekla man! This ain't London! :angry:

It's a proper underground Hip Hop night as far as I know (i.e up and coming MC's and the like)...so just playing some funky shit should be cool.

Oh, and the sound guy down there is usually spot on so don't worry bout that.

A couple of Red Stripe's should do the trick! B)

Sorry to hijack the good advice esar, just had to give my tuppence worth!

I doubt your need commercial r'n'b in The Thekla.  Its never seemed that sort of place to me.  I work just down the road from it and have been there a fair few times.  Its not huge but its a good little club for keeping the atmosphere.

Daimond D can tell ya a bit more about it as he's got a bi-monthly night there called Funkified.  I'm sure he'll fill you in tomorrow.

I would love to come down and watch but I'm skint as skint can be.  :lol:  :angry:

Sorry mate but good luck

Whats the two slighty rubbish MC-ing acts?

Oops...just spotted this post!

Like Chewy and me and De La Soul said...no need for rap 'n' bullshit! :lol:

EDIT/ That Wu Tang DVD will have to be bought!

I'm gonna be coming down to that mate...Got to chuck some flyers out & check out Nukleuz as he's been asking me for a gig for a while. He's the one doing the night I think. Is he one of the 'slightly rubbish' acts?!

What's your DJ name? I'll get down early to check your set.

Yeah, unfortunately, while he's a great mate and all (and so enthusiastic, you can't help but love 'im), Nukleuz's talent just isn't in MCing. He's a brilliant producer though, and he'd go far with that. This is just from what I've heard, mind, and I'd be more than happy to have him change my mind.

The other act are some dudes from Middlesborough called Explicit, who I haven't heard, so me saying they're slightly rubbish is a bit cruel. Odds are they are though, as I can't stand the vast majority of Yoo Kay Hip Hop. Aspects, Blade, WA, along with others are the main exceptions, but mainly cause they don't dwell on an obsession with 'Dark Beats'. Hopefully I'll have reason to apologise to Explicit as well.

I was thinking of going with 'Gwynster da Spinster'. I know what 'spinster' means, but seeing as 'bachelorette' is the NewSpeak, I figure it's a phrase that can be recoined. Otherwise it's just plain ol' Gwyn.

edit: The above In No Way implies that I could do as good a job. Oh no.

Nah, no r'n'b needed at Thekla man! This ain't London! :)

Whenever I play out I allways get at least 1 drunken girl coming up asking for Kelis or something or a bloke asking for 50 Cent so I allways carry something like De La Soul's - All Good or that Ol Dirty & Kelis tune for the honey's and Mobb Deep's - Shook One's usually goes down ok for the fella's.

Just in case.

Wouldn't exactly call that an R'n'B tune though.!! :unsure:

A fucking good tune yes!! :angry:

But thats what I mean by commercial. You'll allways get someone asking for a tune you don't have but everybody loves that tune so you can't go wrong (and the ladies allways love it when you play a tune especially for them :D )

Yeah, if anyone wants a copy drop me a PM and I'll post one out. I've also got Waterworld which is the original release of the album which has a couple of different tracks/versions. They're only copies though, the originals are really hard to get hold of.

I've allready taken up Xicewolf's offer of a copy but thanks anyway.